Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby abs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 pm

atomicbombshell wrote:Image

my first PKD - enjoyed, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. am excited to rewatch blade runner tho.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby abs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

this is silly but I'm enjoying
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby cocoon man » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Ulysses
BILL GATES I'M YOUR STEPSON
I'M SO PROUD TO SHARE YOUR GENES
cocoon man

Postby cocoon man » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 pm

cocoon man wrote:Ulysses

I swear I'm going to do it this time. I've already read Part 1 twice this week
BILL GATES I'M YOUR STEPSON
I'M SO PROUD TO SHARE YOUR GENES
cocoon man

Postby abs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm

this was great
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Sobieski » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 pm

that Protagoras dialogue
mites wrote:Idk I like society as an idea
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby criss elliott » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 pm

criss elliott

Postby Destroyevsky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:
moses wrote:finally finished this...

the majority of my reading time over the last year has been spent reading this trilogy. Pretty great, but not really sure if worth the investment

Congratulations! I really want to tackle this and also his two books on the Mediterranean someday.

that is really incredible. I just got the first volume but I kind of just plan to flip through it on the toilet.
Destroyevsky

Postby abs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby wolfie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:38 am

i just finished this

https://www.amazon.com/Narconomics-How- ... 1610395832

i would give it a B. maybe a B-
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"
wolfie

Postby wolfie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 am

the reason i wanna ding it isn't because it's not good, but because it's kind of shallow. it's more made for mass consumption. which is fine, but you know.
אחד

wolfie

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Henry Miller Library fundraising. Had no idea shit was so dire there this year!

https://www.gofundme.com/ks2zr-bridging-the-gap?
Dead_Wizard

Postby Frank » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm

love this book
im that guy who got dog diarrhea in his beard
Frank

Postby abs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Frank wrote:

love this book

it's actually like a stone in my stomach I love it so much. I haven't felt such a physical reaction to a book in so long.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby mascotte » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:17 am

This is a concise book about a very expansive mind. But it is a book not just about the mind of Daniel Tammet, but a book about his world as well. And both are worthy of exploration.

Daniel’s phenomenal ability with numbers is incredible. If you ask him to multiply 37 to the power of 4 he will give you almost instantly the total of 1,874,161. Ask him to divide 13 by 97 and he will give you the answer to over 100 decimal places if you wish. He out-distances the ordinary calculator instantly and without effort. You’ll need a computer to see if he is correct. And of course he is correct. Then there is his ability to learn an entire new language – grammar, inflection and comprehension in only one week. The documentary Brainman, first broadcast in the U.K. in 2005, charts Daniel’s mastery of Icelandic in such a brief time, culminating in a live interview on television using his newly acquired language in a sprightly interaction with his Icelandic TV hosts.

Of special interest for me, though, is not just what Daniel can so extraordinarily do, but rather his capacity to describe how he does it. Such first-person explanations of savant abilities are extremely rare, in fact nearly non-existent. Most books are written by others about the special abilities some people have, rather than having been written by the person who has those special skills. Daniel, uniquely, provides an exceptionally insightful account of his mental capacities. This description can now be correlated with imaging studies and other neuropsychological tests, some already underway, thereby providing a rare opportunity to explore more fully the elusive, “how do they do it?” question.

But other things are of interest as well. Daniel’s synaesthesia, which he describes so richly, is unique in that he ‘sees’ individual numbers – each one up to 10,000 – not just as a single colour, but also as a shape, a colour, a texture, a motion and sometimes even an emotional ‘tone’. When he does his massive calculations he literally ‘sees’ the answer in his head, not written out in number form as in a telephone book, but rather as a confluence of these shapes and colours and forms into an ‘answer’ experienced in a newly coalesced shape, form and colour.

Daniel tells us that his synaesthesia began after a series of childhood epileptic seizures. This, for me, puts him into the “acquired” savant category – people who develop savant-like abilities, sometimes at a prodigious level, following some central nervous system trauma, disease or disorder. The “acquired” savant raises important questions about hidden potential, perhaps, dormant within us all, and about how to tap that potential without traumatic event. By studying Daniel more closely – something he is very willing to participate in – we may come closer to being able to tap the “little Rainman” that exists, perhaps, within us all.

Daniel has also been given a diagnosis of high functioning autism, or Asperger’s Disorder as well, a condition he writes openly about. In contrast to the more prominent symptoms and behaviours he displayed as a child, though, his present very high level of functioning underscores his observation that he has “outgrown” some of his autism. Such progress does occur, fortunately, in some other people on the autistic spectrum, as they grow older. Daniel’s part progress has created in him a heartfelt life mission – to serve as an inspiration for other people, whether with epilepsy or Asperger’s, demonstrating by his own example that such conditions need not always interfere with overall development and potential. His mission statement is an empathic one – to make the world a “more welcome place” for people with such disabilities.

I met Daniel for the first time at the Milwaukee Art Museum with its dramatic architecture, rich colours and striking imagery. It was the perfect setting. A towering sculpture with a multitude of glass pieces, of all shapes, sizes and colours, helped me visualise, in a concrete sense, some of the vivid thought imagery that Daniel was describing to me verbally.

In person Daniel is articulate, soft-spoken, pleasant, polite, gentle and modest. Those traits shine through in his writing as well. His plans for the future include continuing to help charities such as the National Autistic Society and the National Society for Epilepsy. His celebrity-status gives him a good podium worldwide from which to carry out that admirable goal. He also wants to continue to work with scientists to study his special abilities in greater detail. And he wants to promote different ways of learning, particularly visual learning, which is so often so important in better understanding, and then teaching, people with autistic spectrum disorders.

At a very personal level his goals mirror those of most of us – becoming closer in our relationships with partners, family and friends. He also wants to seek, and relish, those too few, but precious moments of peace and contentment that he describes in the closing paragraphs of his book. Those are ‘heavenly’ moments.

Daniel says that numbers are his friends. Indeed in his early childhood they seemed to be his only friends. But now Daniel is seeking out and making new friends – literally all over the world. Friendship is reciprocal though. And one comes away from his book – or at least I did – with the feeling, through his openness, candor and reaching out, of having made a new friend as well.

Darold A. Treffert, M.D.
Scientific adviser on the film Rainman
mascotte

Postby Honga Ciganesta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:26 am

Really good! Just don't expect it to be All That (Wo)man Is, the female characters are barely there at all. Liked it a lot
Honga Ciganesta

Postby David Lobster Wallets » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 am

Just finished reading:

The Door by Madga Szabo was really compelling! I didn't expect it to be a "page-turner" but the intrigue she builds around Emerence made this like a crime-thriller. I was really surprised by how into this book I was. It was great!
im not a business ham, im a business ham
David Lobster Wallets

Postby abs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:12 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby moses » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:10 am

Destroyevsky wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:
moses wrote:finally finished this...

the majority of my reading time over the last year has been spent reading this trilogy. Pretty great, but not really sure if worth the investment

Congratulations! I really want to tackle this and also his two books on the Mediterranean someday.

that is really incredible. I just got the first volume but I kind of just plan to flip through it on the toilet.

Cheers!

First volume is actually pretty readable - the second one is the slog.
moses

Postby wolfie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:57 pm

i started dostoyevsky's the gambler but i'm not in the mood for it.

everything this guy writes is like a fucking soap opera combined with a therapy session
אחד

wolfie

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm

lol.

To be fair, The Gambler was rushed and has an unusually generic main storyline. The actual gambling scenes are great though, imo. Have you read The Double?
furrowed brow

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Locus Solus starting to drive me nuts a lil past the halfway point. Like, there's no plot. It's just

"here's a weird-ass .....metal pipe that sprays oil out on a canvas. It's 3 metres long. It's aluminium coated. It curves back on itself forming a circle. In the corner a french guy is sobbing. I will now describe to you the sobbing frenchman's life."

Dead_Wizard

Postby trigross » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 pm

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby A WOMAN IN TROUBLE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:Locus Solus starting to drive me nuts a lil past the halfway point. Like, there's no plot. It's just

"here's a weird-ass .....metal pipe that sprays oil out on a canvas. It's 3 metres long. It's aluminium coated. It curves back on itself forming a circle. In the corner a french guy is sobbing. I will now describe to you the sobbing frenchman's life."

i really enjoyed it when i read it, but probably haven't thought about it since

so yeah keep chuggin away lol
A WOMAN IN TROUBLE
ok

Postby robespierre » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 am

one of my favourite discoveries in a while
robespierre

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Picked up Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote. This whole opening section of poems to him are so cool. Think I'm gonna bust out some more "classics" this year.

@trigross I saw the whole set of those books and it made me really want to read it!
Dead_Wizard

Postby dmitry » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:15 pm

trigross mug and some other people had a big discussion about the journey to the west
iirc the conclusion is that the monkey story is cool

i tried reading this but it was too much for me. but i may just read the money except instead
dmitry

Postby trigross » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm

I told my partner I decided I wanted to read all four of the Chinese classical novels and she rolled her eyes at me

I've already read three volumes of the jin ping mei (in college though, I was on a lot of speed probably) and a lot of other classical Chinese lit so I'm used to the writing

just gotta get used to more monkeys killing wind demons and Buddhist philosophy and less sex scenes I guess
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby dvr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

trigross, re: your avatar, have you seen still life? (jia zhangke)
dvr

Postby dvr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm

just finished this, super good.

I went out and then bought:

Image Image Image

I started Red Mars, about a quarter through it. I think it's gonna be kinda a slog.
dvr

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.