You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sadville » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:01 am

a dong is
sadville

Postby santos l halper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 am

Would also second the Adler, the Leigh Fermor, and especially Bioy Casares' 'Invention of Morel', which is one of my favourite books in existence.
santos l halper

Postby Enemy Ace » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am

Enemy Ace

Postby supersaturated » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 am

(haven't read in a while though, might be kind of gross & problematic in retrospect)
supersaturated

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 am

Won't make my hypothetical favorites list, but I liked the NYRB-reissued Making It, written by Norman "Father of John" Podhoretz. It was written and published when Podhoretz still identified as a liberal,* and is an interesting, albeit blinkered, time capsule of the NYC literary scene of the 50's and 60's. Speaking of memoirs, I also liked Really the Blues, which abs shouted out already. A very entertaining book, but the reader is asked to accept Mezzrow's self-mythologizing with the largest grain of salt.

*As I started reading it, I couldn't help but look for moments that would hint at his later neoconservative turn. Little things are scattered throughout the book, with the big "of course he became a right-wing crank" happening near the end. I won't go into specifics, but it involves an argument he gets into with James Baldwin, and its placement in the book (it's basically the climax), in retrospect, makes one wonder if Podhoretz knew where he was headed.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 am

Since I've been shamed for not doing this already, here is a by-no-means-definitive list of favorite NYRB Classics releases. I've limited myself to no more than one book per author (it was a toss-up between Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim and The Old Devils; I opted to include the one that wasn't his most-famous work), and to not include anything already mentioned/doesn't need my recommendation here (The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll [which would likely top a ranked list were I to do one]; anything by John Williams; anything by Renata Adler). I'm sure I've left out worthy inclusions, but, in addition to the already mentioned self-imposed limits, I didn't want to exceed ten. Here, in no particular order, are some books I thought highly of:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Eyeball Kid

Postby vivian darko » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am

Not meant as shaming! I found Zama really disappointing, but maybe if I'd approached it with different expectations I would've liked it more. Had to give up on Angel though. :twisted:
vivian darko

Postby granger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 pm

of the ones i didn't see mentioned, i loved cassandra at the wedding & really liked troubles
granger

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Too many books :ryan: :ryan:
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but I'm kicking myself for not including J.R. Ackerley's We Think the World of You or Hindoo Holiday. I could have slotted one of them in place of Fat City, which arguably could have fallen in the "doesn't need my recommendation" category. Oh well!

I compiled this list by browsing the NYRB Classics site. While doing so, I came across the book below, which I hadn't heard of, and the cover of which appears to be an allusion to the myth of Saturn eating his children. The image was so striking I immediately ordered the book.

Eyeball Kid

Postby speakers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm

just finished these two, really good

can't get enough theoretical/astro/quantum physics for dummies

speakers

Postby r m » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Still boggles my mind that this isn't HPN canon.
r m

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 pm

The Land Breakers by John Ehle is another I could have included.
Eyeball Kid

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:19 pm

inverted world is cool as hell, ive seen a bunch of hipinioners recc it for sci-fi readers
walt whitman

Postby r m » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

It was an also-ran for the first year of the sci-fi club but I think I enjoyed it more than anything on the calendar save for Riddley Walker.
r m

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Thank you for those wonderful NYRB recommendations Eyeball kid, Supersaturated, Enemy Ace, santos, sadville, Astragal,Vivian, Atomic Bombshell, Slamwich, Seamus!!
walt whitman

Postby fakename » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm

priest rules.
have you guys read the islanders?
fakename

Postby silverapples » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:58 am

could anyone recommend a history of weimar germany?
im lookin to collect based energy from the plants and animals around me. im lookin to go into nature and then just absorb all the good feelings of life. im lookin to catch a body.
silverapples

Postby foxriver » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 am

1Q84

I'm going to dive into Sherlock Holmes next.
foxriver

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 am

silverapples wrote:could anyone recommend a history of weimar germany?

It's (of course) focused on how it lead to Nazism, but the first of the Third Reich Trilogy by Richard Evans, The Coming of the Third Reich was really really good and I thought it did a gread job of talking about the Weimar Republic too, though you may want more on the cultural times
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 am

still going through the hipinion best ofs from 2017 and reading the idiot by elif batuman now. I'm two drinks down alone at a bar and quite heavily laughing out loud over the Nina Russian studies text.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 am

I finally finished columbine. I wasn't that familiar with the myths of what happened so the book didn't hit as grand investigation journalism. I really hated the casual use of language which I presume was to help relate to Eric and Dylan but towards the end reading 'the killers' reminded me of the wheel of times repeativie language. I think the key selling point was the pacing but but eh. Def not head over heels with it.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 am

I'm halfway through the 5th book in the Kencyrath series by P.C. Hodgell:

The covers are bad and the author hates them.

These books are kind of messy, constant action that you may not know always what is actually happening and there is an endless cast list but somehow I'm really charmed and love the hell out of them.
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby wong » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 am

wong

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

is a good overview

is a REALLY good and chilling case study about the slow creeping implementation of totalitarianism more generally
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby nite69 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am

atomicbombshell wrote:Image

damn i've been interested in reading a book about the origin of language for a while, is this good?
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

Postby r m » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

Kenny wrote:

It's (of course) focused on how it lead to Nazism, but the first of the Third Reich Trilogy by Richard Evans, The Coming of the Third Reich was really really good and I thought it did a gread job of talking about the Weimar Republic too, though you may want more on the cultural times

Depending on how much of a deep dive you're wanting to do, I'd second this -- it's a decent starting point for Weimar politics. But yeah, if you're mostly interested in, like, cabarets and Bauhaus and Expressionism, you're probably better off with one of the above suggestions.
r m

Postby cooly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm

nite69 wrote:
atomicbombshell wrote:pinker.jpg

damn i've been interested in reading a book about the origin of language for a while, is this good?

i work on related stuff, and i think pinkard is pretty confused about a lot of the materials he's working with. i'd recommend tomasello for a readable story about this stuff. maybe this one

can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby walt whitman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm

AHHH jeez, what a beautifully strange era in human history!

im a film guy so i study the cultural period from the POV of moving images, dazzling lights and shiny surfaces, if that's your bag...get these

and this contains a lot of key documents from the era, such as oswald spengler's wacky pessimistic theory of history, etc
walt whitman

Postby nite69 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm

cooly wrote:
nite69 wrote:
atomicbombshell wrote:pinker.jpg

i work on related stuff, and i think pinkard is pretty confused about a lot of the materials he's working with. i'd recommend tomasello for a readable story about this stuff. maybe this one

excellent, thank you
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.