Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:I was making fun of the cover of that particular edition

That's what my copy looks like. Could be why I hated it so much.
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby nocents » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 pm

adam sampler wrote:
quaker city wrote:Image

how's this? loved Housekeeping and will be doing Gilead sometime this year but I feel like I might not gel with her essays since they're so specific to areas of thought I've spent very limited time with 18th century stuff -- read a few Susan Howe books last year that went entirely over my head

I've read all of her essay collections, and they're wonderful if you're interested in liberal theology, American myths, religious critiques of capitalism, etc. or if you just want to read an absolutely beautiful essayist doing her thing. I've enjoyed "When I Was a Child I Read Books" the most of her collections. She also has a new one coming out in February.
nocents

Postby conductor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you so much for whoever recommended this (can't find it in search). Finishing this today and it's been so wonderful --- 4 or 5 sections completely knocked me out, and I'd absolutely read a book-length treatment of most of the topics he covers. I love Michael Twitty!
conductor

Postby goofjan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm

plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm

That is 1,000 times better than the Vintage UK cover
Eyeball Kid

Postby nite69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

cool that cats cradle is getting love as the best vonnegut, it's probably my favorite after bluebeard
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

Postby bongo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm

just finished the rim of morning

cool book
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm

i haven't really read much poetry besides here and there online on poetry.org, i wanna read a poetry book!

but please not too many recommendations. if you could recommend just one, maybe your favorite of all time or a classic you think everyone should read, what would you recommend?
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby bongo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 pm

read george oppen
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby abs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:30 pm

conductor wrote:Image

Thank you so much for whoever recommended this (can't find it in search). Finishing this today and it's been so wonderful --- 4 or 5 sections completely knocked me out, and I'd absolutely read a book-length treatment of most of the topics he covers. I love Michael Twitty!

me! i completely love him too. so glad you're enjoying.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby dmitry » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 pm

totally forgot that i kept meaning to read timequake. think i'll do that next
dmitry

Postby conductor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm

atomicbombshell wrote:
conductor wrote:Image

me! i completely love him too. so glad you're enjoying.

Thank you!!! I'm glad I finished this today because it was just stolen from my car :x
conductor

Postby abs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Damn!! :(
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby madness and chaos » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 am

it took me awhile because of life, but

dancer from the dance was gorgeous and just what i needed

read it
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby cooly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 am

bear wrote:i haven't really read much poetry besides here and there online on poetry.org, i wanna read a poetry book!

but please not too many recommendations. if you could recommend just one, maybe your favorite of all time or a classic you think everyone should read, what would you recommend?

i think this is a great book for getting more into poetry. very good + accessible.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby Arturo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 am

Halfway through this and it's massively impressive. Beautiful pen drawings and a very cool and moving story.

In awe of the work that went into it
Arturo

Postby adam sampler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:09 am

pretty funny
adam sampler

Postby conductor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am

Guy Incognito wrote:i guess of all the things to have stolen, a thieved book can sorta be seen as a doing a public service

It was a library book. We'll see how civic-minded this thief is when they make a trip to the book drop.
conductor

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm reading Jane Eyre now—which I should have read sooner; see my Brontë mix-up however many pages back—and it's a Barnes & Noble Classics mass-market edition. I'm fairly certain I haven't read a mass-market paperback since the first time I read The Broom of the System, which was almost 20 years ago. I do not love the way these things feel in my hands.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Borderline » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 am

Borderline

Postby abs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:40 am

bear wrote:i haven't really read much poetry besides here and there online on poetry.org, i wanna read a poetry book!

or

or

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby abs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:40 am

I broke the rules. I chose 3 very different styles.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby vivian darko » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:17 am

Eliot :oops:
vivian darko

Postby tarantula » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 am

tarantula

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:I'm reading Jane Eyre now—which I should have read sooner; see my Brontë mix-up however many pages back—and it's a Barnes & Noble Classics mass-market edition. I'm fairly certain I haven't read a mass-market paperback since the first time I read The Broom of the System, which was almost 20 years ago. I do not love the way these things feel in my hands.

Update: Jane Eyre is so good I don't mind having to read it in mass-market form.
Eyeball Kid

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 pm

sirens of titan is my fave vonnegut by quite a bit! i reread it every yr whenever i go on a plane by tradition now. i dont think anything has stuck me as much as the spaceship trying to get out of the cave and the spaceship just needed to be flipped over.

i just finished to live in one sitting by yu hua which i also really loved despite reading his other book two weeks ago. im glad i read chronicles of a blood merchant first, made the blood scenes even worse and you get a bit of overlap with how mao's cultural revolution is described by just the walls getting thicker and thicker with posters. cried about eight different times across the novel and im such a sucker for reflections across someones 'simple life'. think im going to go straight into reading brothers by him. really love the grim ordinary life humour ie comparing 'my-crooked-headed-son-in-law-' to the wife in chronicles of a blood merchant who just yells on her step.

i want to sit on my step and eat some watermelon in the heat but its night so i might do that tomorrow even tho the next yu hua novel doesn't deal with mao era farmers.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:02 pm

the afterword also had a nice bit comparing to live and chronicles of a blood merchant. when im back at school and have access to journals someone remind me to dig around more, im v in love.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby Sobieski » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:17 pm

vivian darko wrote:

Keats
all his odes to stuff
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Very bored at work right now but I have a copy of the Mabinogion and Stendhal’s diary with me
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Melville » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

The Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson.
Melville

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....