Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Melville » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Currently reading The Stone Book Quartet by Alan Garner and digging it. It has a tremendous sense of wonder and discovery.
Melville

Postby No Good Advice » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
Eyeball Kid wrote:I'm reading Jane Eyre now—which I should have read sooner; see my Brontë mix-up however many pages back—and it's a Barnes & Noble Classics mass-market edition. I'm fairly certain I haven't read a mass-market paperback since the first time I read The Broom of the System, which was almost 20 years ago. I do not love the way these things feel in my hands.

Update: Jane Eyre is so good I don't mind having to read it in mass-market form.

Hell yeah. Consider checking out Villette some time .
No Good Advice

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm

finished dancer from the dance. exquisite. reading the new denis johnson collection.

please tell me, what is the most beautiful book about love and/or heartbreak that you know? thank you.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Finished The Great Gatsby today and it was really good, I'm glad I didn't know anything about it going in, the ending was very effective. I'm surprised that Fitzgerald was so subtle about his opinions of rich people, I thought he was a short of wannabe posh guy

Now reading Image
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby moses » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm

tarantula wrote:https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133 ... ms_for_the

For what it is worth a friend also recommended me this to start getting in to poetry. Also this http://store.doverpublications.com/048644967x.html

I've never read either though, but maybe one day
moses

Postby chimp » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 pm

just finished reading "i'm with the bears", a collection of short stories sold in support of 350.org. it was OK though a couple of them felt a little slight. best was probably paolo bacigalupi's contribution
chimp

Postby chimp » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm

next up - "the genius of birds" about bird intelligence
chimp

Postby water, sunbeams » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 pm

just finished
which was extreme

finished "the pederson kid", which knocked me on my ass as well

the trajectory of what i've set out to read this year has changed quite a bit! would like more similar to these two.
water, sunbeams

Postby abs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm

this is a trip! in a good way, so far
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby tawny frogmouth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 am

2018 is my year of rereads. i did snow crash and miss lonelyhearts/day of the locust earlier in january and i just finished moby dick. it's been tremendously rewarding on so many levels, i highly suggest pulling 20 books you remember loving and doing this.

also, jesus, how good is moby dick?
tawny frogmouth

Postby Melville » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 am

tawny frogmouth wrote:also, jesus, how good is moby dick?

Best book. Or maybe just behind Brothers Karamazov for me. Rambling thoughts I wrote on it a few years ago: https://melvillian.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... ick-again/
Melville

Postby Sobieski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am

I definitely do want to reread Moby dick sometime maybe even start by reading Typee or Mardi
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby neely o'hara » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm

finally getting around to this. so dang good.
neely o'hara

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Sobieski wrote:I definitely do want to reread Moby dick sometime maybe even start by reading Typee or Mardi

If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading the utterly batshit Pierre; or, The Ambiguities
Eyeball Kid

Postby Seamus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:15 pm

madness and chaos wrote:finished dancer from the dance. exquisite. reading the new denis johnson collection.

please tell me, what is the most beautiful book about love and/or heartbreak that you know? thank you.

I don't know if it's even considered to be one of the best in the collection but The Tramp Steamer's Last Port of Call from Maqroll wrecks me every time.

Also What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby tawny frogmouth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Melville wrote:

Best book. Or maybe just behind Brothers Karamazov for me. Rambling thoughts I wrote on it a few years ago: https://melvillian.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... ick-again/

i really liked this, thanks for sharing. i remember before i read it that someone was really hard on the whaling and cetology chapters as being slogs, but i totally agree with you that they're all gold. the way melville pings back and forth between ahab's monologues, which actually feel like they reach into my guts and stir them around, and a long description of a sperm whale's tongue, and have them both be super readable...it's insane. this book is insane. it's insane how good this book is.
tawny frogmouth

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 pm

reading Upton Sinclair's The Jungle for a class right now.
relentlessly bleak, which, i guess, is the point.

reminds me of this one time i was at a family reunion and one of my older relatives read an old family history aloud, and all it was was this litany of hardships - children dying, people having their legs amputated at home and stuff.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby Melville » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
Sobieski wrote:I definitely do want to reread Moby dick sometime maybe even start by reading Typee or Mardi

If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading the utterly batshit Pierre; or, The Ambiguities

Pierre is so good. Have you read/looked at the "Kraken edition"? The Maurice Sendak illustrations are perfectly insane. Though the edits actually get rid of some of the more interesting insanity of the book.
Melville

Postby Sobieski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:

I had a copy of Pierre a few years ago but never got a chance to dig into it
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Melville wrote:

“Melville, as he always does, began to reason of Providence and futurity, and everything that lies beyond human ken, and informed me that he had ‘pretty much made up his mind to be annihilated’; but still he does not seem to rest in that anticipation.” —Hawthorne

That might be my favorite melville anecdote too
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby vivian darko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Somewhat tangential to this discussion, Jean Giono's Melville (new NYRB trans) is great
vivian darko

Postby Melville » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 pm

tawny frogmouth wrote:
Melville wrote:

i really liked this, thanks for sharing. i remember before i read it that someone was really hard on the whaling and cetology chapters as being slogs, but i totally agree with you that they're all gold. the way melville pings back and forth between ahab's monologues, which actually feel like they reach into my guts and stir them around, and a long description of a sperm whale's tongue, and have them both be super readable...it's insane. this book is insane. it's insane how good this book is.

Hard agree. If you haven't read Pierre, definitely check that one out. The Confidence Man and some of the short stories (e.g., I and My Chimney) are also great.
Melville

Postby quaker city » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm

adam sampler wrote:
quaker city wrote:Image

how's this? loved Housekeeping and will be doing Gilead sometime this year but I feel like I might not gel with her essays since they're so specific to areas of thought I've spent very limited time with 18th century stuff -- read a few Susan Howe books last year that went entirely over my head

Just finished this. I read Gilead last year and Giveness felt like a great primer on the theology behind Gilead, primarily Calvinism of which I knew just about nothing beforehand. Her prose is incredibly precise and confident as always but missing that haunting charm in Housekeeping. Her theory on Divine Grace's role in Shakespeare's later works, particularly Hamlet and The Tempest was particularly engrossing. I only started reading her last year but I feel like I've been looking for a literary voice like hers for a long time. I'll be reading the rest of her trilogy and her new book of essays soon.

Now reading:
Last edited by quaker city on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quaker city

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for the recc's, Seamus. I'm going to check them out. Finished the new Denis Johnson collection... so gorgeous and gut-wrenching. Moving on to this... 3 people have recommended it to me in the last few days.

Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Seamus wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:finished dancer from the dance. exquisite. reading the new denis johnson collection.

I don't know if it's even considered to be one of the best in the collection but The Tramp Steamer's Last Port of Call from Maqroll wrecks me every time.

should I read this one first if I've never read anything Maqroll? It was on my goodreads list for many years. I still don't know if I've ever read a nyrb, not even stoner
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Seamus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 pm

madness and chaos wrote:
Seamus wrote:

should I read this one first if I've never read anything Maqroll? It was on my goodreads list for many years. I still don't know if I've ever read a nyrb, not even stoner

Yeah this book is great and has all of the Maqroll stories in!

Seamus

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm

now to find an epub. Not on the usual sites....
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby freezinseason » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 pm

ripersnifle wrote:reading Upton Sinclair's The Jungle for a class right now.
relentlessly bleak, which, i guess, is the point.

reminds me of this one time i was at a family reunion and one of my older relatives read an old family history aloud, and all it was was this litany of hardships - children dying, people having their legs amputated at home and stuff.

read this article as a chaser

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... up-workers

:o
freezinseason

Postby Seamus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm

Edit

Seamus

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Finally Read™ Gormenghast nearly 5 years after I read the first book. I love it but I don't love explaining it to people.

Riverchrist

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....