what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

silverapples wrote:could anyone recommend a history of weimar germany?

is a good overview

is a REALLY good and chilling case study about the slow creeping implementation of totalitarianism more generally
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby nite69 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am

atomicbombshell wrote:Image

damn i've been interested in reading a book about the origin of language for a while, is this good?
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

Kenny wrote:

It's (of course) focused on how it lead to Nazism, but the first of the Third Reich Trilogy by Richard Evans, The Coming of the Third Reich was really really good and I thought it did a gread job of talking about the Weimar Republic too, though you may want more on the cultural times

Depending on how much of a deep dive you're wanting to do, I'd second this -- it's a decent starting point for Weimar politics. But yeah, if you're mostly interested in, like, cabarets and Bauhaus and Expressionism, you're probably better off with one of the above suggestions.
reversemigraine

Postby cooly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm

nite69 wrote:
atomicbombshell wrote:pinker.jpg

damn i've been interested in reading a book about the origin of language for a while, is this good?

i work on related stuff, and i think pinkard is pretty confused about a lot of the materials he's working with. i'd recommend tomasello for a readable story about this stuff. maybe this one

can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby walt whitman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm

AHHH jeez, what a beautifully strange era in human history!

im a film guy so i study the cultural period from the POV of moving images, dazzling lights and shiny surfaces, if that's your bag...get these

and this contains a lot of key documents from the era, such as oswald spengler's wacky pessimistic theory of history, etc
walt whitman

Postby nite69 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm

cooly wrote:
nite69 wrote:

i work on related stuff, and i think pinkard is pretty confused about a lot of the materials he's working with. i'd recommend tomasello for a readable story about this stuff. maybe this one

excellent, thank you
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

Postby bongo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:03 pm

just finished this, strong recommend. i need to read ava

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby quilty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

wong wrote:Image

this and 10:04 are equally good. sometimes his ideas are more interesting than bis execution (especially when his execution is essentially talking about the ideas themselves) but i consider him one of the better writers going
my secret? i voted for jools stein™
quilty
ok

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 pm

starting this after listening to Werner Herzog talk about it
Dead_Wizard

Postby mondays » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:19 pm

How is that (the Peregrine) ? Amazon has recommended it to me for a long time and the concept seems interesting
mondays

Postby bongo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm

the peregrine fucking rules
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby atomicbombshell » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 pm

cooly wrote:
nite69 wrote:

also interested, thanks for sharing! check messages, want to reach out to you about this.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm

mondays wrote:How is that (the Peregrine) ? Amazon has recommended it to me for a long time and the concept seems interesting

Let's just say it totally makes sense that Herzog is into it
Eyeball Kid

Postby Seamus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm

I bought The Peregrine not so long ago, and I'm excited to read it. I'm reading A Little Life right now though. Last week I read A Balcony in the Forest, which was very good, but not *quite* as good as I'd hoped.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby water, sunbeams » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 am

reading,

up next,

water, sunbeams

Postby a long gush from your hole » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 am

just started

and it's already making me feel like a monster, as it should
We locked eyes. Apparently if you look at a dog in the eyes and do this, you can hurt its balls. So I did that. And he — we had a moment, and he looked away.
a long gush from your hole

Postby Skerple » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 am

cooly will you expand on how pinkard is confused? sounds interesting and kinda funny
Skerple

Postby vivian darko » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 am

What little snippets of Pinker I've read have been pretty disingenuous/deliberately misrepresentative of theory in a way that does not make me want to read more Pinker.

Forgetting Elena by Edmund White was amazing, perfect for the first book of 2018. Completely different from, but slightly reminiscent of, Invention of Morel. Reads like a completely new kind of fiction made from the repurposed tools of older, more conservative models. Much better than, say...

Insel by Mina Loy, which I'd lump together with By Grand Central Station I Sat Down & Wept as disappointingly stilted/clumsy prose poetry. Better than the Smart by a sight, but Loy never really convinced me that she knew what she was doing.

I'm in the middle of a couple things right now, one of which is (for class) this YA sci-fi novella called Binti which is so badly written that I can only do a few pages at a time.
vivian darko

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:55 am

I just read Universal Harvester by John Darnielle - I didn't have too high expectations going in so I wan't disappointed, but I didn't love it. I wish it had been a different story with the same premise?

Now I'm reading The Art of Freedom by Bernadette McDonald a biography about Voytek Kurtyka whom I know nothing about
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby walt whitman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 am

vivian darko wrote:I'm in the middle of a couple things right now, one of which is (for class) this YA sci-fi novella called Binti which is so badly written that I can only do a few pages at a time.

haha. yeah. Binti has been hailed as a masterpiece picking up Scifi awards but oof, the first couple pages are just uninspired. i don't know. maybe it blows the mind later, or maybe i made the mistake of trying to read both Binti and Wells' The Time Machine at the same time
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:12 am

someone asked for my input on More Than Human...

well. it started really rough and flavorless,i thought sturgeon was a terrible hack who couldn't write a clear action sequence at all. i only kept reading because i was trapped on a plane. but then 70 or so pages in i saw that the brilliance lies in how it how it reveals/conceals character connections with one another, through the awkward, networked structure of the narrative. it gives you tiny fragments, like paragraph-long bits of a person doing a thing, and then hard cut onto someone else,and on and on. and you have to connect all these dots, because *spoiler* the story is about a kind of composite entity, many characters who are existing and living as one....it reads more like dickens than fan-pandering sci fi.

but yeah i can understand someone hating it if only bc, unlike most fiction, the pleasures are not embedded in dazzling prose or cool set-piece scenes, and you have to do a lot of work following the actors, parsing the fragmentary narrative chunks, connecting the invisible edges to diff character-nodes into this bigger thing...
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 am

recently visited a FABULOUS indie bookstore in Salty Utah, got a big haul o books, and am now reading

could not not buy this

the closest to a drug induced experience one can get from reading eco-philosophical-anthropology probably. i read bits of this years ago, now its time to dive back in

this is REALLY good gloss on new trends in literary theory without giving up the guilty pleasures of formalism, and we all need more of that

god, koch is so deviously entertaining, a mythologizer- chronicler of warhol and his tragicomic film career. must-read.
walt whitman

Postby cooly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 am

Skerple wrote:cooly will you expand on how pinkard is confused? sounds interesting and kinda funny

vivian darko wrote:What little snippets of Pinker I've read have been pretty disingenuous/deliberately misrepresentative of theory in a way that does not make me want to read more Pinker.

it's been a little while but i remember when i was reading him often feeling like he wasn't taking seriously the consequences of what he was saying in terms of his broader view. the worst example i recall was his treatment of the later wittgenstein, when he starts going into family resemblance terms, and i don't think he sees how radically the wittgensteinian position cuts against the brand of nativism about language that he defends. this goes with what vivian was saying, i think. he'll borrow slices of theories that fit with what he's saying and kind of warp the view to fit what he wants at the moment without paying too much attention of the consequences of those slices and how they would interact with his view as a whole.

a lot of his work sort of rubs me the wrong way in general because he's typically very much on the nature side of nature vs nurture debates, which led to a public embarrassment when he defended the former president of harvard for hypothesizing that there were more male than female engineers because there were more that were genetically disposed to the capacity for that kind of work. in a way that's just an anecdote, but his basic methodology is to use evolutionary psychology to explain some cultural artifact, and i generally feel like those projects are misguided, and in a way it's representative to me.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby warmhouse » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:23 am

foxriver wrote:1Q84

My first Murakami, years ago. Hated it at the time, but I feel like if I were to read it again I'd find it more palatable. Even within the framing of my dislike I loved his writing style.
warmhouse

Postby warmhouse » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 am

incoherent grunting wrote:I just read Universal Harvester by John Darnielle - I didn't have too high expectations going in so I wan't disappointed, but I didn't love it. I wish it had been a different story with the same premise?

I have a major thing for stories that are like "found footage" novels... the whole mysterious video angle is what made me read this, but it was a bit of a disappointment in the end. I had more fun with NIGHT FILM, which is completely ridiculous, but leans into the spooky Blair Witch vibe a little more.
warmhouse

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 am

Cool, I'll check it out
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Slamwich Artist » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 am

enjoying this a lot, something i should have read a long time ago. very clear and well-argued, and a lot of insights that still haven't become as generally accepted as they should be
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby Casimir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 am

Just about finished with:

Really enjoyed it, especially the historical chapters on the foundation and development of Mormonism. I wasn't at all familiar with this time in history but I liked the context of Smith founding the faith in the midst of the second great awakening where he was just (by far) the most successful of many people who were creating their own faiths and finding receptive ears. Does anyone have any recommendations on books that focus on this, specifically the explosion of prophets and conmen?
Casimir

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am

Hatch's The Democratization of American Christianity is probably the go-to single volume history of the Second Great Awakening, but unless you're interested in Baptists and Methodists and Restorationism, it's not very juicy. Smith was unique -- most SGA figures weren't hawking brand new gospels.
reversemigraine

Postby hey nathan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations on books that focus on this, specifically the explosion of prophets and conmen?

The Evangelicals by Frances Fitzgerald isnt only that but I think we loved that Krakauer the same way and this book gave me lots of similar vibes (also his Where Men Win Glory does similar things with Afghanistan)
hey nathan

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All