what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Boris Pastnerak's niece hated the P&V translation of Doctor Zhivago—she refrains from commenting on their other works, but the criticisms she gives here echo the kind that are usually levied at the pair. I read their version of that book; it left me cold, but, given that I've enjoyed other P&V translations, it may just be I do not like Doctor Zhivago.
Eyeball Kid

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Their Dead Souls sucks. I read it and didn't understand why people liked the book and then read Gurney and it's one of my favorite books ever.

I just bought another translation of it I'll read the next time I read it. It's cool that I love a story and own 3 slightly different versions of it. The more translations the merrier.

Also part of why P&Vs translations are used so much in colleges is they have really good notes. So maybe read whatever translation you want but use their commentary like you're reading DFW
BILL GATES I'M YOUR STEPSON
I'M SO PROUD TO SHARE YOUR GENES
cocoon man

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I just finished reading a rhyming translation of Eugene Onegin and really liked it but Nabakov would think I'm a fool. I couldn't get through his literal translation.
cocoon man

Postby vivian darko » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 pm

I think Nabokov's defense of his translation was that the idea was just to convince people to learn Russian and read Pushkin in the original
vivian darko

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 pm

vivian darkbloom wrote:I think Nabokov's defense of his translation was that the idea was just to convince people to learn Russian and read Pushkin in the original

You could probably use it to learn Russian if you can read Cyrillic
cocoon man

Postby goofy's dead wife » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for that link on P&V. I went ahead and bought a copy of the Oliver Ready translation on a whim and it seems to combine the best parts of the Garnett and P&V versions. I recommend it!
steakspoon wrote:I feel like a real fucking idiot right now

emiko wrote:Even if you enjoy a rock song in 2017 you just have to delete it and put on Nicki Minaj instead because the personal is political.
goofy's dead wife
little trouble girl

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby meeshpotato » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Wow moby dick is so sick
Thought it would be much more difficult to read for some reason
meeshpotato

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:25 pm

You haven't hit the cetology chapters yet :twisted:
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Great book, though. Going into it, you wouldn't think it would be as funny as it often is, too.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Ersaph » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Should I read It by Stephen King?

What are some good books that I'll breeze right through while I'm away for 45 days in the Philippines? I am worried I won't have enough stuff
all u had to do was stay <3taylorswift<3Toggle Spoiler
Ersaph

Postby blurst of times » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:You haven't hit the cetology chapters yet :twisted:

the cetology chapters were my favorite part of moby-dick :geek:

i was also surprised by how funny it is. even talking about it makes me want to re-read it
blurst of times

Postby moses » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:56 am

finally finished this...

the majority of my reading time over the last year has been spent reading this trilogy. Pretty great, but not really sure if worth the investment
moses

Postby number none » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 am

Ersaph wrote:Should I read It by Stephen King?

What are some good books that I'll breeze right through while I'm away for 45 days in the Philippines? I am worried I won't have enough stuff

Have you ever read King? Maybe try one of the short story collections first (Skeleton Crew is probably his best)
number none

Postby Seamus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:04 am

moby dick rules
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.
Seamus

Postby Ampersand » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am

Elizabeth and Baxter (aka Hell Hound), two long out-of-print and much talked-up-in-this-thread literary horror novels by Ken Greenhall (aka Jessica Hamilton) are finally available again, in paperback and ebook formats (with attractive new cover designs!), after publisher Valancourt Books got sick of me requesting them every other day.

BUY THEM.

ImageImage
Ampersand

Postby scramble » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:47 am

walt whitman wrote:currently readingImage

this is such a great overview. still have it in my collection even though i normally recycle books.
scramble

Postby scramble » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 am

oh, and myself currently:

scramble

Postby mancubz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 pm

just started
it's so cute and weird. i really needed some levity after that nagasaki book and i think an opening page that has a polar bear opening up his b-hole to the night sky is just the thing.
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby the upland trout » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 am

Just finished Image

On to Image

Also still plugging away at Lanark, which is still great. Might pick up Moby Dick next. I haven't read it in ages and yes, it does rock.
the upland trout

Postby j-ol » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:33 pm

+1 for moby dick

weed strain I have rn is called moby dick lol

https://www.leafly.com/sativa/moby-dick
j-ol

Postby murray st. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 pm

i'm reading john farrell's new nixon biography. it's good
murray st.

Postby sadville » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:02 pm

i'm teaching the above. my kids love the alexie, so rad to see them genuinely enjoying something on their own rather than appreciating it because i teach the shit out of it

fixin to launch into this bad boy, highly recommended by my surprisingly well-read assistant soccer coach:

a dong is
sadville

Postby atomicbombshell » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 pm

finished

this was gorgeous 4/5

loved these, but needed lots of space between essays. essentially just commentaries on NYC life from the early 60s. good book to read in the city (which I did a bit of), very intrigued by her actual life (she ended up a homeless vagrant -- which is odd since she even writes essays about how "those women" end up as they are.) 3/5
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby j-ol » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 pm

finally finished up this celine. took a painfully long time to read because i can be ADD with too many books on the go, so i struggled somewhat to connect dots and lost the plot a bit. however, i found it really comical in its misanthropy and darkness, but i had to be in a certain mood to pick it up. would have been quite the trip in the 30s.

just stumbled on this and it looked interesting, wanting to read many more female authors this year. anybody have an experience/opinion of it?

j-ol

Postby Conetoaster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:24 am

I am still making my way through Future sex, enjoying it quite a lot. Its pretty easy going which is nice to drift in and out of between other things.
Conetoaster

Postby Smarmy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:22 pm

A lovely book, as long as you aren't expecting a biography of Vic or something

^This made me feel awful all day, but I loved it
Seven Swans is still pretty fantastic though and I'm an atheist. sad.gif
Smarmy

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 pm

moses wrote:finally finished this...

the majority of my reading time over the last year has been spent reading this trilogy. Pretty great, but not really sure if worth the investment

Congratulations! I really want to tackle this and also his two books on the Mediterranean someday.
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby goofy's dead wife » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 am

steakspoon wrote:I feel like a real fucking idiot right now

emiko wrote:Even if you enjoy a rock song in 2017 you just have to delete it and put on Nicki Minaj instead because the personal is political.
goofy's dead wife
little trouble girl

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby aububs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 am

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 am

j-ol wrote:finally finished up this celine. took a painfully long time to read because i can be ADD with too many books on the go, so i struggled somewhat to connect dots and lost the plot a bit. however, i found it really comical in its misanthropy and darkness, but i had to be in a certain mood to pick it up. would have been quite the trip in the 30s.

I just finished rereading this. I'd forgotten—I previously read the book in 2007—just how tender it got toward the end, and how that it came about so naturally and believably. Those first 400 pages are crazy misanthropic.

Anyway

Now:

Patricia Highsmith - Strangers on a Train

Next:

William T. Vollmann (pictured) - Europe Central

Then:

Barbara Comyns - Our Spoons Came from Woolworths
Eyeball Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All