Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby winjer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:28 pm

winjer

Postby winjer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm

also
winjer

Postby cooly » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 pm

"mario from super mario bros" would have been good too. trust yourself.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby abs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I'm reading the one about the Golden State Killa and it.... slays

Heck yeah it does!
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby water, sunbeams » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 am

as a group read
water, sunbeams

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 am

That seems sort of interesting, is it good? I worry that I'd just focus on how they are all boomers if I read it...

The first essay in this old 1910 book about book loving is a lot of fun if you don't mind a bit of fancy ladishness
https://archive.org/details/booksbookmenothe00macl
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Spoons » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:04 am

halfway through this (I'm reading the orig. german version though).
so good! highly recommended!
bongo wrote:spoons pounds
Spoons

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am

madness and chaos wrote:what is the best philip k dick to start with? I have no idea why I haven't read this brilliant man yet, seeing as we are quite similar in ideas and insanity

ubik?
i've seen a scanner darkly and want to read the book if it's different at all from the movie

that db is loaded!!!! which are the best? Are some of those short stories?

three stigmata sounds great too

Do androids dream; three stigmata; and a scanner darkly are top 3
Ubik is really good too
Valis deep dives into suicidal ideation & religious metafiction, not pleasurable imho
Minority report is a good short one

There’s a collected book of Dick that contains all the things I’ve mentioned, get that
walt whitman

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 am

Ubik is the best
Eyeball Kid

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:01 am

I'm about 160 pages into Lonesome Dove and absolutely loving it except for his writing about Lorena, which is pretty whack thus far
rich uncle skeleton

Postby blab » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 am

Just finished these two

It feels self-indulgent to read this. Like I'm comparing myself to self-loathing Karl Ove enough to deceive myself into thinking my personal mundane experiences are also worth investing tons of thought into. i thought a lot about my dad while reading this, which was intense and kind of a bummer. so i felt like i found this book at the right time. i feel kinda cheesy for identifying with the narrator so much.

a manual on how to write descriptions of smells and sick anti-hero thriller

Working on these two

Shoutout to abs -- this book is wonderful

still haven't figured out if the point of these is to identify with the narrator and reexamine yourself, or
blab

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:45 am

Hilary Mantel – Beyond Black
Loved it. Total technical mastery in a narrative sense somehow combined with a brutal baring of paranoias and dark impulses. It has such a rich atmosphere of sludge and poison, I’m not sure whether it’s better to mainline it or to spread it out over a longer period. Brilliant book.

Charles Sprawson – Haunts of the Black Masseur
Very cool book to read on my holidays when I could go swimming whenever I wanted – became more wistful once back in London. It’s beautiful but it’s definitely a book for people who love books as much (or more) as it’s for people who love swimming.

Hiromi Kawakami – Record of a Night Too Brief
The title story was super annoying… I liked the other two better but by that time it was operating on very limited good will.

Ian McGuire – The North Water
Good salty sea writing. Almost McCarthyesque levels of fidelity to time, place and grime, and has the pace of a thriller. Good fun to read. It takes itself and its manliness very seriously though. My copy is an advance that I found on the bookshelf at a pub. McGuire has signed it on the inside cover and written “You ask am I tough enough? This book is my answer.” :roll: I guess whoever asked that question didn't actually care too much either way.
HotFingersClub

Postby deep blue meanies » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:50 am

deep blue meanies

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 am

Finished On Stranger Tides which was great as a page turner. I sort of liked how it just took magic as read instead of taking a long time explaining why it worked in the book universe. Also thought it was interesting how the lead character wasn't just an all out good guy.

Now reading:

Which I bought years ago and then never touched
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby object » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 am

madness and chaos wrote:what is the best philip k dick to start with? I have no idea why I haven't read this brilliant man yet, seeing as we are quite similar in ideas and insanity

ubik?
i've seen a scanner darkly and want to read the book if it's different at all from the movie

that db is loaded!!!! which are the best? Are some of those short stories?

three stigmata sounds great too

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said is my rec
object

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:55 am

that ones good
walt whitman

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am

can't put it down. what a trainwreck
RIXX

Postby Conetoaster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 am

I want to read that so bad! I am fascinated by how it got as far as it did. I have a lot of pals who work bringing medical devices/products to healthcare systems and it is insane how difficult it can be to jump through the hoops.
Conetoaster

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 am

I read Islam: A Very Short Introduction over the past few days.

Half of it was really good, gave you a pretty good overview of the religion, where it came from, what people believe in it etc. but I felt it spent too much time talking about the politics of current Islamic countries. I want more in-depth discussion of like what the Quran says, are there any pretty parts, why do people convert to Islam in the modern world, talk about the Sunnah more in depth (which to be fair I learned existed from the book)

Too much of it felt like a defense of Islam as "It's not just terrorists!" which I get is the time we live in but I wanted more about the religion.

Like you hear people a lot saying that Islam is a "beautiful religion" when to me it seems to be surprisingly legalistic and dry (which is not a bad thing but I want to know, or hear form people, what they think is beautiful about it (in a tone: interested way)

There's another VSI about The Koran but I dunno
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Slamwich Artist » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 am

Kenny wrote:There's another VSI about The Koran but I dunno

you should read it! i think it would be a very different experience than the ruthven
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby dvr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:18 pm

This is great. Almost reads like Peter Hessler's 4th book on China
dvr

Postby ... » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 am

Postby Malcolm Money » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm

excellent so far, it's been a few years since I read I Curse the River of Time
Why do so many white people feel they have something to say artistically?
Malcolm Money

Postby hadlex » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Finished "Pride and Prejudice" and "Destiny of the Republic" (which was terrific). Now that summer's in full swing, it's time to get hard-boiled.

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby cruiserbob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:01 pm

anyone read that new Tommy Orange novel? i really enjoyed his story in the New Yorker.
and that's that.
cruiserbob

Postby the upland trout » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Finally finished this:
This was really incredible but not something that can be read quickly or even linearly. I can imagine it being my favorite of Le Guin's books after I spend more time with it.

Starting these:

the upland trout

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Kenny wrote:Now reading:

Which I bought years ago and then never touched

Finished this. I thought it was interesting to have a story collection about a bunch of basically unhappy things, and it gave me some interesting perspective but in the end I didn't really love it
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby dcm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 pm

This was good and pretty off-kilter (though totally straightforward, unadorned prose). the final third was a highlight. shout out toofer spurlock for the recc from what feels like a century ago
dcm

Postby vivian darko » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:
vivian darko wrote:helen dewitt in larb: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-wrong-stuff/#

you should check out the briggs i posted last page
seems to be quite harmonious w/ what dewitt is spelling out here, at least methodologically

i will do so! that briggs has been in my sights

anyone have recommendations for audiobooks? thinking of stuff that's more plotty than prose-y but also not awful. some stuff that's worked for me in the past, or is in the vein i'm looking for:

black wings has my angel by elliott chaze
universal harvester by john darnielle
we have always lived in the castle by shirley jackson
vivian darko

Postby Riverchrist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Pinhead and Lucifer street fighting for supremacy at the gates of Hell? That should be good, right? Well probably not since that's not what people like about the original stories. And Barker fans really seem to hate this. The prevailing theory is that he handed off an outline to the guy who runs his production company and let him write most of the book.

It has some of the corniest dialogue and worst-written gay characters ever. It's also riddled with typos and editing mistakes. So overall only slightly better than Neil Gaiman.
Riverchrist

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....