Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby blab » Wed May 23, 2018 11:22 am

heck yeah Kenny let met know what you think.

I'm still reading Perfume. I've been a very slow reader lately. I love walking through the park while reading. I think it takes twice as long to read because I'm always looking up at lizards and making sure I don't trip, but it's worth the sacrifice (if you could call it that) of time.
blab

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

ripersnifle wrote:finished the Jamison tonight.
very moving book that i'm probably going to be thinking about for a long while.

i really enjoyed the sections towards the end dealing with Carver/Lish. i had known a bit bout Lish's harsh editing of Carver, but comparing Lish's edits of What We Talk About... with the Beginners manuscript (later published in the 2009 Library of America Collected Stories) in terms of the manuscript versions having different endings/a different tone due to RC's newfound sobriety was compelling to me. made me want to read Beginners. it also set off a bunch of classic Editorial Oversight questions for me: this idea that Lish potentially had a conception of A Raymond Carver Story that he edited the Beginners stories into. to what extent is this an unavoidable reality of the writer/editor relationship? how is this compounded by questions of sobriety? etc. i know Lish has disputed these portraits of him doing so, too, which only compounds the situation.

the book as a whole makes me want to read or re-read many of the texts she engages with.

i also found her own narrative compelling. i liked how recursive/iterative it became while she was exploring the mechanics of The Recovery Narrative itself. the question - and inherent tension - between particular/general as crystallized by recovery feels like a boundless one to explore. what does it mean to cling to one's own particularity (and, perhaps by extension, one's own neuroses) in the face of what is felt to be a "trope" or "cliché"? that question resonated for me a lot.
Toggle Spoiler

r m wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:Image
Report back, please.

I refuse to read library lit for leisure right now but I'm making a point to block out time for professional reading at work.
i'm sorry i didn't see this until now.
i liked it. it's an easy read. the main takeaway for me was his clear articulation of the theory/practice divide in librarianship (circa when he wrote it in the 70s) and how interrogating that would go on to inform many current critlib conversations, as i understand them. so, it makes sense that Rory Litwin/Library Juice Press republished the essay.
(granted, i am not a professional librarian (yet!) - only heading into a program this fall). (do we have a librarianship thread?)
Last edited by ripersnifle on Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby fakename » Wed May 23, 2018 11:39 am

ripersnifle wrote:(do we have a librarianship thread?)

:arrow:

started the overstory last night. first chapter is incredible.
fakename

Postby bongo » Wed May 23, 2018 11:51 am

best powers novel
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby mudd » Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 pm

is it? i'd about given up on powers.

m
mudd

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 23, 2018 7:25 pm

steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby bongo » Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 pm

mudd wrote:is it? i'd about given up on powers.

m

definitely yeah and same. id say so. the only one i enjoyed as much as far as i can remember is galatea 2.2
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby mudd » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm

cool, will give it a go. I’ve enjoyed a lot of powers but each book since the nba has generated less and less interest. Orpheo is sitting unread on a shelf.

m
mudd

Postby Kenny » Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Finished the Elric collection I had (It had the first five or six Elric stories and then Stormbringer which were the next five or six stories which are also in-universe chronologically the end stories) and I really loved it but I've had a quick look at the sentence summaries and I don't think I will read anymore, I think it was pretty contained. Really great atmosphere, exactly what I would want from a sword and sorcery story book

Next I'm going to read the first Sherlock Holmes book, A Study in Scarlet
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby noiseandpop » Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 pm

a few years old now but still so horribly relevant
~~cry urself 2 ash~~
noiseandpop
piss reeking meth goblin

Postby Wrong Titus » Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm

finished:

and found it so powerful. It was a "right book at the right time" situation. It may even eclipse Stoner, although pitting them against one another does each a disservice.

I liked how the characters would skirt close to classic archetypal behavior or conflict, but then surprise me by acting in a way that seemed more human, less dramatic. What are the other great brutal, poetic journey/survival books? The Crossing, To The White Sea, Left Hand of Darkness..?
Wrong Titus

Postby vivian darko » Fri May 25, 2018 11:24 pm

emmanuel bove - my friends

j. g. ballard - atrocity exhibition
disappointing

david jones - in parenthesis
couldn't actually make it the last 50 pages

joan didion - play it as it lays

christoph meckel - the figure on the boundary line
i know it might be hard to track down but this book is actually fucking great, one of the best i've read this year for sure and maybe one of the better collections i've read generally. riyl walser's short fiction or dreamtigers. but there's also more variety than that might suggest - some of the stories reminded me of anna kavan's short stories (the best stuff in here is beyond comparison though). i just grabbed it from a university library that i can no longer access, but i'm gonna try to find a copy so i can reread the best pieces here forever.

no one posted about olga tokarczuk winning the booker, huh? i picked this up by coincidence the day she won:
olga tokarczuk - house of day, house of night
haven't really started yet but will report back.
vivian darko

Postby the upland trout » Tue May 29, 2018 1:03 am

Haven't read this in years. It's still good!

the upland trout

Postby hadlex » Tue May 29, 2018 10:46 am

Never read any Austen. I've been assigned to teach this as a summer reading book, so I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Very funny and engaging, but I am amazed at how little actually happens in this book.

About to start this (I really enjoyed Millard's other two: "River of Doubt" and "Hero of the Empire")

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue May 29, 2018 11:00 am

A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
Eyeball Kid

Postby trigross » Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby adam sampler » Tue May 29, 2018 2:07 pm

just finished
liked how it broke down taste for the lay-person

cranking through this right now
adam sampler

Postby No Good Advice » Tue May 29, 2018 2:09 pm

hadlex wrote:
Never read any Austen. I've been assigned to teach this as a summer reading book, so I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Very funny and engaging, but I am amazed at how little actually happens in this book.

Nothing much happens in any of her books, but that's (part of) her joke. Needs all that space to perfectly nail stupid characters to the wall in the most precise ways.
No Good Advice

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue May 29, 2018 3:33 pm

so far a captivating meditation on art of literary translation bouncing between mann's magic mountain and barthes' college de france lecture, curious to see what briggs does with the remaining 250 pages
Last edited by Barthes Starr on Tue May 29, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barthes Starr

Postby madness and chaos » Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 pm

in rehab I read

a handful for a 2nd time

now

I've never read Henry Miller, but I think he's my favourite ever. The introduction in my edition is so wonderful. I feel some of these passages immensely, in all my being.
Last edited by madness and chaos on Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby a long gush from your hole » Tue May 29, 2018 10:46 pm

so i guess this finally came out. just started it

anyone here still care about xenofeminism/laboria cuboniks?
We locked eyes. Apparently if you look at a dog in the eyes and do this, you can hurt its balls. So I did that. And he — we had a moment, and he looked away.
a long gush from your hole

Postby abs » Tue May 29, 2018 11:13 pm

so excited for this

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby warmhouse » Wed May 30, 2018 12:33 am

hot damn, i hadn't heard about that but it seems like a must-read
warmhouse

Postby madness and chaos » Wed May 30, 2018 12:38 am

sounds incredible
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby rushedbehind » Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 am

i just finished mason & dixon and our lady of the flowers in pretty quick succession and both of them just floored me. it took a while for me to warm to m&d but the last 200 or so pages just moved me beyond belief. by far my favourite pynchon
rushedbehind

Postby madness and chaos » Wed May 30, 2018 3:10 am

Eyeball Kid wrote:Image

A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James

always wondered how this one was
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed May 30, 2018 3:25 am

abs wrote:so excited for this

Are you a fan of his other stuff? His books always sound great on the blurb but I read The Kingdom recently and was pretty disappointed
HotFingersClub

Postby mancubz » Wed May 30, 2018 6:24 am

picked this up from the teacher next door's classroom library
holy guacamole this is relentlessly dark and fucked up
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Kenny » Wed May 30, 2018 8:58 am

Just finished A Study in Scarlet. Didn't expect it to take a novella side story right in the middle, but it was still interesting!
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby hadlex » Wed May 30, 2018 9:52 am

madness and chaos wrote:I've never read Henry Miller, but I think he's my favourite ever. The introduction in my edition is so wonderful. I feel some of these passages immensely, in all my being.

I just read Miller for the first time a few weeks ago ("The Colossus at Maroussi") and, man, was I impressed. His prose hits these ecstatic heights that I've never really encountered before. Definitely intrigued to read more.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....