Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 am

I think it might be more fun to re-read it in a few years time actually, when I know what is coming and can just enjoy the events happen as they cross the stage
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Gnarls » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Nothing But The Night is pretty good, but I want copies of his two books of poetry! Give em to me now!
Gnarls

Postby tanaka » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:08 pm

this rules, excited to read more about nestor makhno

mao's little red book in mandarin w/ pinyin at the side of page and huge glossary at the back, and in terms of language there's plenty of repetition which makes it perfect for students. content is pretty much what you'd expect.

when hipinion dorks talk about "balm" i think this is what they're talking about
tanaka

Postby dvr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Mao's little red book however.. not balm
dvr

Postby the upland trout » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 pm

So let's say I wanted to learn about Hinduism and ancient Indian literature like the Mahabharata. Does anybody have any advice? What are good editions of these texts? What are the best introductions and histories?
the upland trout

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 pm

My next two reads:

The Marvellous Equations of the Dread - Marcia Douglas
North - Louis-Ferdinand Céline
Eyeball Kid

Postby Dirty Penny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 pm

This is what August looked like for me:

Carmen Maria Machado - Her Body and Other Parties
These were mostly okay, ranging from excellent to confusing af. Would recommend. Personal fave seems to be everyone's least fave ("Especially Heinous").

Catherine Lacey - Nobody Is Ever Missing
I did enjoy this for the most part, piecing together her story through flashbacks and current happenings. Sometimes when stories deal with the either mental illness or emotional problems, it tends to get too flowery and takes the cheap route at the end by making some kind of vague ending. This avoided that but also it was a little frustrating that the author couldn't seem to nail down why she was sad and left it kind of unspoken; but that made her come off as annoyingly selfish or spoiled.

Jennifer Armstrong - Seinfeldia
As Seinfeld has been my favorite show for like 25 years, I really really wanted to love this. I wanted it to be better than it was. It's kind of hard for me to explain what bugged me about this - it's like she jumped around a lot, repeated herself sometimes, and it didn't seem like it was complete. I felt like it was written by someone who had contact with only a few outside players and tried to build a tell-all around what little info she was given. It could have been so much more and I would love to read an in-depth book about Seinfeld. Give me a tome any day.

Carlo Collodi - Pinocchio
Reading this with my daughter, a couple chapters every night; shit is pretty funny and a lot more bizarre than I thought it would be.

Wilkie Collins - Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
I'm never disappointed when I get done with one of these stories but none of them make me think, "I have to read more Wilkie Collins!"
Dirty Penny

Postby dvr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 pm

bummer to hear about seinfeldia. i have been putting off reading it hoping it was gonna be great, also a huge fan of the show for many years. i think i'll skip the book.

just finished:

very long winded. most the science was covered in a general bio 1 class. it was mostly a book on the history of cancer treatment. it was okay
dvr

Postby Dirty Penny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 pm

dvr wrote:bummer to hear about seinfeldia. i have been putting off reading it hoping it was gonna be great, also a huge fan of the show for many years. i think i'll skip the book.

i guess when it says "the show about nothing that changed everything", i guess yeah the book did talk about how seinfeld changed the game; but that was almost an afterthought. oh, and also, the last like two or three chapters was kind of awkward as it basically advertised the side hustles that the character who played soup nazi has and the "real" kramer have. it was such a let down.

i really really hope someone does a big project and tackles seinfeld from beginning to end (episodes, behind the scenes, the climate of tv at the time, bit players backgrounds etc.) before i die.
IG // GR
Dirty Penny

Postby adam sampler » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am

fine so far

just finished it, it made me feel really stupid
adam sampler

Postby alaska » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:19 am

ashbery is maybe my favorite poet but i felt like that abt him for a very long time

idk what you've already read -- forgive me if i'm being presumptuous!! -- but my favorite poem of his & the one that got me into his work is "the skaters," which is in "rivers and mountains." i listened to this pennsound recording and read along on a bus & then i felt like i understood a lot of the other poems by him that i hadn't before -- it's like a more spread-out version of what he's doing with shifting trains of thought & distraction & so on

http://writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x/Ashbery/the_skaters.php
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Dirty Penny » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:45 pm

del
Last edited by Dirty Penny on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IG // GR
Dirty Penny

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:50 am

aspirinkid wrote:
winjer wrote:
HotFingersClub wrote:Image
Olga Tokarczuk - Flights

If you've never read her before, I would encourage you to pick her up. This book and the last one I read by her (Primeval and Other Times) remind me of Krasznahorkai.

this sounds amazing, thank you

hell yeah, popped in to see if anyone else was on the tokarczuk-choo-choo

been (mostly) enjoying this a lot.

Finished this off on the beach in Malaysia. It works really well as a holiday/travelling book for obvious reasons. I think the Krasznahorkai comparison holds true although the style is more restrained. I loved the style of many different fictions, fragments and observations rubbing up against each other to create a novel by committee on seemingly disparate themes (travel and anatomy in this case).

Aspirinkid I'm curious which bits aren't working for you? It's not an unqualified success for me either but I loved most of the longer sections.

Now onto this:
Juli Berwald - Spineless
Which seems cool but also a little basic/poppy in comparison*. Looking forward to learning more about our strange friends in the sea, hopefully without too much interruption from the Personal Journey elements of this book.

*There is no meaningful comparison between these books other than that I read them consecutively
HotFingersClub

Postby Chyet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:04 am

ooh i'll also recommend my current audible book-
woke/ad astra per alia porci
Chyet

Postby Plainsong » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 am

Plainsong

Postby rushedbehind » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:51 am

i just ordered Flights today! looks sick.

next on the stack:

rushedbehind

Postby adam sampler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:12 am

alaska wrote:ashbery is maybe my favorite poet but i felt like that abt him for a very long time

idk what you've already read -- forgive me if i'm being presumptuous!! -- but my favorite poem of his & the one that got me into his work is "the skaters," which is in "rivers and mountains." i listened to this pennsound recording and read along on a bus & then i felt like i understood a lot of the other poems by him that i hadn't before -- it's like a more spread-out version of what he's doing with shifting trains of thought & distraction & so on

http://writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x/Ashbery/the_skaters.php

oooh, this may be the key I'm looking for. def will listen - many thanks!!!
adam sampler

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Chyet wrote:ooh i'll also recommend my current audible book-

read this a few months ago and really liked it. embodied cognition is such an interesting concept and i found myself becoming very aware of me as a being in a body as i was reading it.
tawny frogmouth

Postby hadlex » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:14 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:Finished Memento Mori, which was pretty good. Now onto this:

Olga Tokarczuk - Flights

If you've never read her before, I would encourage you to pick her up. This book and the last one I read by her (Primeval and Other Times) remind me of Krasznahorkai.

A good friend just sent me a copy of this and am looking forward to checking it out.

Just finished this:

The book (last third or so) loses a little bit of steam when the John Huston character becomes obsessed with the elephant hunting and we just move from one place to the next as he tries and fails to bag an elephant. But his character (both real and fictional) is fascinating and someone I enjoy spending time with and listening to.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby Milk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:01 pm

This is why you guys think i'm TLDR, you can't just appreciate my literary prose anymore because you're just a bunch of dirty little skimmers (actually probably less likely for most people who are in this thread...)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/27/17787916/reader-come-home-maryanne-wolf-neuroscience-brain-changes

gf reads like this now though i'm pretty sure. I mean even books.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby number none » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:08 pm

I skimmed that article :twisted:
number none

Postby conductor » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 pm

(thanks hipinion)

(thanks best show via hipinion)
conductor

Postby j-ol » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:53 pm

i read the gbessa chapter out of this upcoming book by wayetu moore in the newest paris review and it damn near broke my heart. i'd never heard of her before but this release is impending, i'll prob hit it asap.

j-ol

Postby shizaam » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Image Image
shizaam

Postby Slamwich Artist » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 pm

the upland trout wrote:So let's say I wanted to learn about Hinduism and ancient Indian literature like the Mahabharata. Does anybody have any advice? What are good editions of these texts? What are the best introductions and histories?

I think this is still the standard, classic introduction to ancient Indian history and culture, even though some of the factual stuff would be out of date by now. I found it pretty readable and engaging, with a lot of interesting direct quotations from primary sources. There are also good appendices with introductions to various aspects of ancient Indian intellectual life (medicine, logic, etc.):
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby blab » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 pm

it's taking me forever to read 2666

have to take breaks while reading...it can get really intense
Last edited by blab on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blab

Postby Autarch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm

tawny frogmouth wrote:
Chyet wrote:ooh i'll also recommend my current audible book-

read this a few months ago and really liked it. embodied cognition is such an interesting concept and i found myself becoming very aware of me as a being in a body as i was reading it.

reading it now and also liking it. was recommended to me by user chimp, iirc.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Slamwich Artist » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Over the past couple weeks:
liked the fosse and flaubert the most
onto this now:
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby warmhouse » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Oh fuck the new knausgaard is out in like 4 days
warmhouse

Postby laserblast » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 pm

the last 4 days' beach reads:

my first of his. i understand the rest of his oeuvre is not this noir-y which probably makes for better capital-l literature but a less fun beach read. not sure it transcended genre conventions but, like THE KILLER or whatever, this is genre fully realized

y'all don't need me to tell you how good this is. i can't fully decide if this his best book or not, but i think it probably is? so audacious. the closest he ever came to stunting in one of his books and damn if he doesn't fucking just pull it off ugh ugh ugh

i s'pose this one is probably the obscure of the bunch. picked it up on a whim in mexico because it's about north carolina, written by a chapel hill grad who worked for a democratic governor, and how was i supposed to turn that down? but as it turns out ... it's pretty damn good! wouldn't be surprised if cormac read this dude, so, y'know, run away if you hate that shit. a mastery of dialogue in this, lots of suspenseful and memorable set pieces, lots of simply stated & compelling interiority, lots of almost biblical (or norse) obsession with beginnings, endings, the destruction of all things, animals, dust, etc. suffers from being a book written by a white southerner in 1964 but not so much that i can't otherwise recommend it.
laserblast

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....