Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Finished:
Nicholson Baker - U and I
Having read this now, I realise the more pertinent question was do we have any John Updike fans in the house? He's still not a writer I know anything about, other than it seems like he's getting washed away with many other of the dead white male writers of the 20th century. What's the hipinion?
This book though, I liked it a lot. Incredibly engaging, and a great exercise in thinking about the processes of reading, writing and admiration without ever lapsing into critical theory.

David Sedaris - Calypso
This was quite boring. Didn't David Sedaris used to be a bit more exciting? He's turned into kind of an old fusspot.

And now:
George Saunders - Tenth of December
This rules so far. How about "Escape From Spiderhead" huh, what a story

Sarah Perry - The Essex Serpent
HotFingersClub

Postby warmhouse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Essex Serpent is fantastic! Perry has a new book out too.
warmhouse

Postby adam sampler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:40 pm

@ all with good things to say about Paley - yeah this collection really pops. definitely see myself going down a rabbit hole with her
adam sampler

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 pm

I finally started my copy of Forbidden Colors by Mishima today after buying it years ago and keeping meaning to get around to it. It's kind of heavy going so far, not sure if it's the author or the translator but I've got to reread a sentence here or there to understand it. It's actually only the 4th Japanese author I've read after Murakami, Banana Yoshimoto and Kobo Abe (who I've only read Woman in the Dunes)

Edit: Actually I've read Kokoro by Natsumi Soseki in a class but I don't remember anything about it so...
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby j-ol » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm

i was browsing the bookstore shelves, basically doing random spot checks in the fiction section in hopes of discovering something interesting (this is one of my fav activities) when i came across otessa moshfegh's books. i hadn't heard of her before, but reading some of the descriptions and about her being featured in the paris review etc i thought "hmm this seems like hipinion canon for sure." i am subsequently quite happy to do a search and find that she's gotten a fair amount of praise here, and that's the only push i needed. gonna dive into her short stories today as we just got a fresh coat of snow :S
j-ol

Postby Dirty Penny » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm thinking of purchasing a copy of Ugly Rumours by Tobias Wolff. If I did, would there be any interest in me photocopying it and making a PDF?

Any Wolff fans around these partz?
Dirty Penny

Postby neely o'hara » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:39 pm

j-ol wrote:i was browsing the bookstore shelves, basically doing random spot checks in the fiction section in hopes of discovering something interesting (this is one of my fav activities) when i came across otessa moshfegh's books. i hadn't heard of her before, but reading some of the descriptions and about her being featured in the paris review etc i thought "hmm this seems like hipinion canon for sure." i am subsequently quite happy to do a search and find that she's gotten a fair amount of praise here, and that's the only push i needed. gonna dive into her short stories today as we just got a fresh coat of snow :S

I just finished My Year of Rest and Relaxation. sooooooo good.
neely o'hara

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Update on being 200 pages into The 120 Days of Sodom: Sade really did think of every possible permutation of perversion.
Eyeball Kid

Postby alaska » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:06 pm

powderfinger wrote:Image

This is excellent. A sober examination of the last ten years of economic policy around the world. Largely free of polemic, but just in telling the story blow-by-blow it is incredibly damning of nearly every principal actor in the US and Europe.

thanks for this rec! ~200 pages in right now and it's really good
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby shacky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:09 pm

do people prefer dead souls as a single volume and stop reading after part one?

is that a thing people do?
shacky

Postby tolka » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm

shacky wrote:do people prefer dead souls as a single volume

yes

shacky wrote:and stop reading after part one?

no
Night porter wrote:Ftr I disagree with myself
tolka
ok

Postby shacky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 pm

i misused "volume" just meant if anyone thinks it's better if you pretend part two doesn't exist
shacky

Postby madness and chaos » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:53 pm

shacky, i'm proud of you
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby shacky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:00 pm

madness and chaos wrote:shacky, i'm proud of you

for daring to imply that mb gogol's half burned manuscript is kinda not great?
shacky

Postby Melville » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:45 pm

shacky wrote:i misused "volume" just meant if anyone thinks it's better if you pretend part two doesn't exist

I would have liked it a lot more that way.
Melville

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:03 am

Starting this. Never read Bowles.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby abs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 pm

can't believe I've never gotten to this one.

also WOW -- moving made me do a book purge and holy hell did that feel good. still have more books than is required but that's realistically never going away. simply love to have so many bookshelves.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 am

Tenth of December was very good. A nice quick read also.

Now embarking on an extremely musty hotel library copy of...

Ursula K. Le Guin - The Dispossessed
Upon finishment thereof will have read all her major works I think. This one seems excellent so far
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 am

madness and chaos wrote:Image

Starting this. Never read Bowles.

I really didn't like this book that first time I read it and for some reason a few years later I felt really drawn to read it again (I had gone to Morocco maybe) and the second time I really loved it

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby aububs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:16 am

abs wrote:Image

can't believe I've never gotten to this one.

yeah that book is nuts. definitely a pinnacle of true crime writing imo
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 am

Kenny wrote:I finally started my copy of Forbidden Colors by Mishima today after buying it years ago and keeping meaning to get around to it. It's kind of heavy going so far, not sure if it's the author or the translator but I've got to reread a sentence here or there to understand it. It's actually only the 4th Japanese author I've read after Murakami, Banana Yoshimoto and Kobo Abe (who I've only read Woman in the Dunes)

Edit: Actually I've read Kokoro by Natsumi Soseki in a class but I don't remember anything about it so...

i was actually thinking that given what you enjoyed about montaigne you'd really enjoy the pillow book by sei shonagon. it's a collection of extremely short journal entries / mini-essays / lists by a court woman from the 11th century, but she has an incredible and distinctive personality that shines through the book. i got this remarkable feeling of intimacy with someone from the distant past when i read it that i've never felt from anything else.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby alaska » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 am

oooooh cooly i started "the tale of genji"

i'm taking it a chapter at a time alongside a bunch of other shit i'm reading so i'm only ~150 pp in but the tyler translation has been great so far. i don't know if i have a ton to say about it yet but i will say i love the simultaneously feeling like the psychology of the characters is very recognizable & feeling like both their psychology and the whole world of the book is so different from mine, if that makes sense
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 am

Anyone read Zero K?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 am

incoherent grunting wrote:Anyone read Zero K?

I have. I don't remember much about it—maybe I commented on it in this thread when it came out—but I recall thinking it very much a Don DeLillo novel. Which has its pleasures, of course....
Eyeball Kid

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:46 pm

I def love Paul Bowles sfm
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm

oh glad to hear you are enjoying it alaska. after recommending it i got a little worried you'd be bothered by the fact that the several hundred pages consist mostly in genji assembling his harem, but there's something about it that makes it less off-putting to me than it might be.

yeah what you say about the psychology makes sense.it's interesting how the novel constantly praises genji, to the point where it even asks the reader's forgiveness for its love of genji, despite him doing a lot of pretty bad things. i'm a little unclear on on the ethics of the world of the japanese court and sometimes it feels kind of arbitrary to me when genji's affairs are condemned by his world and when they are forgivable / fine. one of the things i find interesting about it is that it is not that interested in developing the "inner world" of genji explicitly in the way that modern novels do, and psychology is usually explored outwardly via exchanged poems.

the amount of spying and peering that happens, especially relatively early on is kind of interesting too. i'm still not finished or particularly close to being finished but still enjoying it.
cooly

Postby trigross » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm

cooly you studied wittgenstein, right? haven't read him since a senior seminar in undergrad 10 yrs ago i probably only half understood but where should i start anew, other than tractatus and investigations? any real good and somewhat light (as light as can be possible with wittgenstein) supplementary stuff i can read?
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby cooly » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:41 pm

trigross wrote:cooly you studied wittgenstein, right? haven't read him since a senior seminar in undergrad 10 yrs ago i probably only half understood but where should i start anew, other than tractatus and investigations? any real good and somewhat light (as light as can be possible with wittgenstein) supplementary stuff i can read?

i think the blue book is probably wittgenstein's friendliest book to read, and it does a good job of introducing a lot of ideas that are developed in the investigations, though there are debates in the literature about how similar the ideas in the blue book are to those presented in the investigations. they're lecture notes from wittgenstein's middle/late period as he was coming up with the ideas that are developed in the investigations, and are easier to get "content" from than the quasi-dialogue style of the investigations. they will also give you a better roadmap for if you decide to get back into the investigations. i think having a bit of that kind of background is really helpful when you go through the investigations because it's never clear how literally you're supposed to take any particular section of the investigations, so having the sense for the ideas in play helps you make those kinds of determinations.

as far as secondary literature, i think anthony kenny's "wittgenstein" is the best "first book on wittgenstein"; it's readable and it presents a more accurate and interesting reading of wittgenstein than those usually do. the alternative, if you are feeling more ambitious, is cavell's "the claim of reason", which is a massive but beautiful book, one of my favorite books. it talks a lot about wittgenstein and ordinary language philosophy but is as much a work of philosophy in its own right as it is a book about wittgenstein. cavell's style is kind of idiosyncratic and it would be more like reading a great book of literary theory than a work of analytic philosophy. he's a better writer (in the sense of writing beautiful and profound things) than analytic philosophers tend to be, but it comes at the cost of being less clear and straightforward than analytic philosophy at least strives / purports to be.
Last edited by cooly on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cooly

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks cooly, I'll check out the Pillow Book :)

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby trigross » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm

thanks x2 cooly!!!
trigross
our chow yun-fat

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....