beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby Jouster » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:01 am

beefbroth inthe shitpipes wrote:
brent wrote:monomania owns
Jouster

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:30 am

Jouster wrote:
brent wrote:monomania owns property in georgia as a result of its relatively lucrative nature, but that's about it
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby antoine » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:34 am

Monomania does not own.
antoine

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:31 am

just saw these doodz
gonna post my thoughts in a sec cuz the set was interesting and i had a mix of impressions.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 am

camping wrote:do they play Helicopter live
yes ... and surprisingly they didn't save it for an encore
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby SonicBoom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:41 am

Jouster wrote:
brent wrote:monomania owns

Would like to see them again soon, but not enough to support those turds they are opening for.
SonicBoom

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 am

random thoughts:

- Bradford spoke glowingly of Montreal, remarking that the last time he had played here it was with Trish Keenan. he then dedicated the set to her, mentioning that it was the anniversary of her death on saturday, which was moving.
- he also thanked Kings of Leon for taking them on tour/for Deerhunter being able to tour to Montreal fiscally, which was a bit humorous because he acknowledged that people in the crowd probably didn't want to hear anything positive about KoL.
- the show initially felt like it was going to end up a bit of a nostalgia trip with an opening run of songs that seemed a little sluggish/safe. can't remember all of them exactly (there was a pretty limp version of "revival" in there if i recall), and there was at least one that sounded in line with Fading Frontier with like the glossier 80s-indebted sonics ... possibly a new song even (more on this later).
- some tracks from Monomania were pretty fun ("t.h.m.," "back to the middle," "dream captain") though they kind of veered away from playing too much of that material, which was to my liking as i generally feel like it is limited and that they are capable of so much more sound.
- one song from FF that was unexpectedly massive was "take care," which Bradford introduced as inspired by Kurt Weill ("the German one, not the American one"), saying that it was indebted to cabaret. the ending was huge and awesome with some great drumming from Moses.
- "living my life" was alright and featured some good sax work from whoever they have playing keyboards these days, but it felt more organic/live in a way that (oddly) disappointed me a bit, as i have come to know the song for its kind of synthetic/post-chillwave sonics/drums.
- second half of the set into the encore was absolutely incredible and kind of jolted me out of a malaise that i had fallen into when thinking that nostalgia seemed to be playing a bigger role in my enjoyment earlier in the set. "desire lines" expectedly ripped, after which Bradford and Lockett built a massive squall of feedback that abruptly stopped before they launched into a super tight version of "snakeskin." encore was like "fluorescent grey" - > "nothing ever happened" (which must've been at least 10-15 min, with Bradford interpolating Pattie Smith's "horses")-> "twilight at carbon lake" (stripped with Bradford and Lockett solo).
- after the encore Bradford and Lockett built a weird feedback collage thing that morphed into a 30-45 min freeform jam where Bradford invited the opener, Cindy Lee, back onstage to play with him.

re. my above comment about the newer FF sonics: i just don't really know how i feel about that material/sonics in the live environment. mostly it felt kind of sluggish, even a song like "breaker," which is one of the best songs on FF, or "living my life," which, as i said above, seemed to suffer in its live translation. why does he wanna be INXS?!? just embrace yr inner kraut/motorik/shoegaze head B-ford!!! undoubtedly, when the set came alive for everyone, was when they started playing with textures over Moses' insanely metronomic 4-4s.
ripersnifle

Postby LloydChristmas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:27 am

The last time I saw these guys, they started their set with Earthquake (which I felt was a weird choice) and about halfway in Bradford freaked out because he saw a spider on the stage, so they stopped the song and started it again.... meaning we got about 8 minutes of Earthquake instead of 5 (which was already enough).
LloydChristmas

Postby Grey Poupon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:51 pm

When I saw them Bradford they left for encore then Bradford kinda commando crept back on stage and started playing don't fear the reaper riff and kept going g when the band came back on and eventually they started a song without him to get him to stop
All in good humour

At least that's how I remember it, order of events may have changed but there was definitely creeping and BOC tomfoolery
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby brentwurst » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm

they were great when I saw them three months ago but the live version of living my life is definitely underwhelming.
brentwurst

Postby fresh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:24 pm

i don't know much about these dudes, what i've heard is okay, not sure i'm real into their style, but they're playing vegas tonight and no one ever plays vegas. ripersnifle's review was helpful but still not sure, should i check them out?
"Proof that I am not an indie rock snob: I really don't like the Shins."
fresh

Postby separator » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Dude, yes.
separator

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

please go see deerhnter
gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby gandhi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:54 am

really miss when bradford posted music nonstop and did those mixes
gandhi

Postby warmhouse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Does anyone know if there are any good recent DH bootlegs? I used to run a blog about the band for petes sake, cant believe how much of a noob i am now.
warmhouse

Postby PROBLEMATIC » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:10 pm

gandhi wrote:really miss when bradford posted music nonstop and did those mixes

Same. Found a few of the micromixes on soundcloud but it's not the same
PROBLEMATIC
clown is my friend

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:27 pm

or it's from 2015, my bad
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby brent » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 am

seeing a deerhunter thread bumped makes my heart race
brent

Postby quilty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 pm

revisiting "logos" and it's hitting the spot. does anyone have rips of the bedroom databank stuff?

my secret? i voted for jools stein™
quilty
ok

Postby brentwurst » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 pm

I've been on a kick the last couple of days

weird how these dudes and their other projects were so prolific from 2007-2012 and since then there's just been two deerhunter albums.
brentwurst

Postby brody » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am

quilty wrote:revisiting "logos" and it's hitting the spot. does anyone have rips of the bedroom databank stuff?

this song is too good
brody

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 am

quilty wrote:revisiting "logos" and it's hitting the spot. does anyone have rips of the bedroom databank stuff?
they're all on freemusicarchive, which i didn't know!
ripersnifle

Postby Mr Spaceship » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am

best band
Mr Spaceship

Postby SabreFancS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm

brentmoney wrote:weird how these dudes and their other projects were so prolific from 2007-2012 and since then there's just been two deerhunter albums.

there was an Atlas Sound record in the can in 2014 - and he performed almost all of it at a free show in Brooklyn that September. It sounded like the best collection of stuff he had put together yet - but then he got hit by that car and the whole thing got scrapped in the period he was recovering.

I'd expect a new record from him this year - he's got some solo dates coming up...
SabreFancS

Postby quilty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 pm

i remember him doing some extreme noise stuff at his ps1 set with frankie broyles. i had a fever and wandered off but in retrospect it was pretty cool
my secret? i voted for jools stein™
quilty
ok

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:55 am

the last time I saw atlas sound perform was the noise shit bradford was doing opening for deerhunter on their fading frontier tour. wish I had caught that show in 2014, didn't realize it was entirely a set of new material

revisited fading frontier yesterday. I like it even more now than I did when it was first released!

halcyon digest + parallax are my favorites, but I have an affection for all of these records
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....