how come we don't have a proper hiking thread?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby KPH » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 am

I have no problem with music while bare in country
KPH

Postby galactagogue » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:17 am

are there any good hiking destinations in the midwest? how far do i have to throw rocks before i hit a hiker?
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby kit fox » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 am

pictured rocks

isle royale if you wanna really get out there
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby uncledoj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am

The Boundary Waters, Porcupine Mountains, North Shore of Lake Superior (Superior Hiking Trail is a long through hike), Apostle Islands. There's also tons of fun, wild rivers in MN and WI that you can do long canoe camping trips on, it's a blast
uncledoj

Postby delgriffith » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:16 am

uncledoj I just wanna say bless you for rocking the Meyers av for as long as you have. It's now very thread appropriate too.
delgriffith

Postby uncledoj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am

I've grown to love it Del, hes just so playful
uncledoj

Postby galactagogue » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 am

uncledoj wrote:The Boundary Waters, Porcupine Mountains, North Shore of Lake Superior (Superior Hiking Trail is a long through hike), Apostle Islands. There's also tons of fun, wild rivers in MN and WI that you can do long canoe camping trips on, it's a blast

yes!!! i want to do wild river, thank you :)
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby uncledoj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am

galactagogue wrote:
uncledoj wrote:The Boundary Waters, Porcupine Mountains, North Shore of Lake Superior (Superior Hiking Trail is a long through hike), Apostle Islands. There's also tons of fun, wild rivers in MN and WI that you can do long canoe camping trips on, it's a blast

yes!!! i want to do wild river, thank you :)

The Namekagon and St Croix are two of my favorites, lots of outfitters around there that will rent canoes and pick you up at the end of your trip to drive you back.
uncledoj

Postby pablito » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 am

incoherent grunting wrote:Nice, I'd love to visit Alaska. Are you going to travel around at all? How are the bugs?

i think im gonna be at the lodge all summer but i can dig that, there’s no human activity for just about 80 miles in any direction and a lot further in some directions. the mosquitos are big and there are a lot of em but it’s not bad at all, no mosquito-borne disease or lyme disease out here.
i love this place more than i thought possible
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 pm

I've had to call off my Rockwall backpacking trip because the winter was so brutal and spring has been so shitty that there's still waist-deep snow up there and significant avalanche danger :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby clouds » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm

that sucks dude. opposite problem on he southern end of the rockies. colorado was way low on snow, new mexico basically got no snow at all. kinda getting scary. hope monsoon season does something in new mexico - it's d4 drought in the place we camp every august right now.

headed to colorado late next week for a few 14ers and general loafing around. pretty excited. it's so fucking hot here.
clouds

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Important update!:

There's a campground in Paradise Valley Banff that only takes phone reservations from 24-hours out of the start of your trip due to it being in highly-sensitive grizzly territory ( :shock: ) and I managed to book for the weekend! It's lower elevation, so should be clear of snow except for a bit in sentinel pass. :)
The weather is still supposed to hover around 50F, but whatever gotta make the most of summer.

It'll do I guess!
https://10hikes.com/canada/lake-louise- ... cuit-hike/

p.s. if i don't post again after friday, i'm dead
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby galactagogue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:22 pm

sounds like a more than adequate alternative ! very jealous
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Pretty nervous about bears actually, even though there are no active warnings. On edge!
They say the best way to minimize contact is to go in groups of 4+ but that's not really an option. It would be ideal if either run into ppl starting the hike at the same time or there were some registration board stating when you were setting off so others could coordinate.
incoherent grunting

Postby delgriffith » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Enjoy! Sing some Creed. Bears hate that!
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm beginning to get a little worried that having a chunk cut out of my calf recently is going to be a pain in the ass for my Tetons trip at the beginning of August. Stitches come out on Monday and I'm gonna try to softly work my way back into walking long distances/ascending/descending without irritating the incision area too bad. It's definitely not as sensitive as it was, and it really shouldn't have affected any of the underlying muscle or anything. I'm just hampered and have been since last week, and it's getting me antsy.
delgriffith

Postby Kuboaa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Gonna go to the Smokys in Sept, probably camp 2-3 days, my brother in law lives in Chattanooga so we will be able to stop there on the way back and shower and sleep in a real bed before driving home which is a plus
Kuboaa

Postby Smerdyakov » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Spent a few days in Shenandoah and along the Blue Ridge parkway this past week. So beautiful. Now I am back in boring old Missouri.
Smerdyakov

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Hey ya'll I'm back and didn't die, though it was a pretty weird experience being the only person in a campsite on a long weekend. It rained overnight and snowed a little this morning in the pass, but overall the weather wasn't anything to complain about - the night was a lot warmer than I feared it would be. The mountains were making some odd and ominous noises last night. There were enormous crashes of rock and ice, and the river occasionally sounded like other people laughing. It was spooky, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

(some tourists on a horse-trip.. I took comfort that maybe they'd scare away any bears)
(a panorama of Mt. Temple - the campsite is in the basin on the right, in-front of all that snow)
(Paradise Valley - the low clouds were there the whole time I was, even when the sun was peeking through)
(Looking up towards Sentinel Pass - sorta... it's kinda out of frame to the left behind the trees)
(Sentinel Pass (8566ft), looking back the way I'd come. A tough slog up a scree slope with a multi-day pack isn't something I'd recommend.. or actually, I totally would!)

Photos can't do this place justice, there's a reason they call it Paradise Valley. But sadly, my phone was acting up as I was heading into the pass and two of my favourite shots of the grand sentinel have been lost to time. :(
Last edited by incoherent grunting on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
incoherent grunting

Postby delgriffith » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Holy fucking shit. Looks incredible! Glad it all went well.
delgriffith

Postby clouds » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 pm

beautiful pics. i am glad you didn't get eated.

we leave thursday for leadville/fairplay area. we have 9 full days in the woods not counting driving days - last year we just had 5 so this is gonna rule. doing 3 fourteeners and some piddly hikes in between on rest days. super excited. time is crawling.
clouds

Postby joymonger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:59 am

those pics are incredible.

i'd be so scared to do this by myself, but i want to.
joymonger

Postby clouds » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 pm

clouds wrote:
we leave thursday for leadville/fairplay area.

well this weston pass fire got big fast. guess we're just gonna play it by ear as the entire state and well the entire west seems ready to go up in flames. a lot can change in a week. love drought years.
clouds

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:21 pm

that sucks, i'm sorry :(
last year we were camping in waterton one weekend and the next it was scorched. Hope the get it under control, or it shifts somewhere else.
incoherent grunting

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:38 pm

delgriffith wrote:I'm beginning to get a little worried that having a chunk cut out of my calf recently is going to be a pain in the ass for my Tetons trip at the beginning of August. Stitches come out on Monday and I'm gonna try to softly work my way back into walking long distances/ascending/descending without irritating the incision area too bad. It's definitely not as sensitive as it was, and it really shouldn't have affected any of the underlying muscle or anything. I'm just hampered and have been since last week, and it's getting me antsy.

You'll definitely be fine by August. I heal very slowly due to my other medical issues and the longest an excision has bothered me is like three weeks.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby delgriffith » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Spoilt Victorian Child wrote:
delgriffith wrote:I'm beginning to get a little worried that having a chunk cut out of my calf recently is going to be a pain in the ass for my Tetons trip at the beginning of August. Stitches come out on Monday and I'm gonna try to softly work my way back into walking long distances/ascending/descending without irritating the incision area too bad. It's definitely not as sensitive as it was, and it really shouldn't have affected any of the underlying muscle or anything. I'm just hampered and have been since last week, and it's getting me antsy.

You'll definitely be fine by August. I heal very slowly due to my other medical issues and the longest an excision has bothered me is like three weeks.

I'm glad to hear this :D Thank you!
delgriffith

Postby pablito » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:42 pm

my summer in alaska is goin very great. im the maid at a wilderness retreat on lake clark. it's a very luxurious, expensive spot to stay at, and we usually have between 2 and 6 guests total. we're totally off the grid and 180 miles from the nearest road, and all groceries and mail arrive by bushplane across the lake in a small strange town of maybe 20-30 people which is under the control of the evangelical organization samaritan's purse. i live in a disused sauna right on the beach but as the lake fills from snowmelt it's getting closer and closer to my front door. the focus of the lodge is 6-week artist residencies, right now we have a pair of austrian avant-garde bass clarinetists. there are no trails here, and lots of bears (we had a very close call where an angry mama bear charged the head chef several times and didn't run away from warning shots but she left eventually and everyone is fine). a beaver just cruised right by my front door.
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 pm

That is so fucking rad.
delgriffith

Postby ratbags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm

how pablito how
session to session
ratbags

Postby kit fox » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 pm

pablito how close are you to dick proenneke's cabin?
kit fox
Mike Vance

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....