last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby spix et chicho » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 am

tricksforchips wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:some things i've watched recently more to jog my memory. too tired to google images/write write-ups sorry folks

unknown pleasures
sleepwalk
goodbye south, goodbye
on the beach alone at night
rabid
kaili blues
existenz (rewatch)
claire's camera
you were never really here
morvern callar (rewatch)
new rose hotel
demonlover (rewatch)
boarding gate

Unknown Pleasures ruuuuules

indeed! devastating. also:

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby Melville » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am

Revenge - I loved this. The brazen, in-your-face symbolism reminded me of Ms .45, though with more ironic distance. Lots of great technical flourishes.

Melville

Postby tricksforchips » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 pm

spix et chicho wrote:
tricksforchips wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:some things i've watched recently more to jog my memory. too tired to google images/write write-ups sorry folks

unknown pleasures
sleepwalk
goodbye south, goodbye
on the beach alone at night
rabid
kaili blues
existenz (rewatch)
claire's camera
you were never really here
morvern callar (rewatch)
new rose hotel
demonlover (rewatch)
boarding gate

Unknown Pleasures ruuuuules

indeed! devastating. also:

Have you seen A Touch of Sin??? Even more devastating.

tricksforchips

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 pm

haddonfield wrote:DEMON QUEEN (1987, Donald Farmer)

i'd never seen a shot-on-video horror movie, even though it's a genre i've been wanting to explore for a long time, and this lived up to all of my expectations plus some. i saw it in a half-asleep state watching this on my parents's crappy basement tv which was pretty much ideal for taking in something this hypnagogic. kind of dead-eyed, droney vibe to the whole thing, awesome super fuzzy texture and colors. perfectly off-kilter amateur actors. could have just stared at it all spaced out for another full hour.

thanks to futurist and his Trash Picks.

Watched Demon Queen based on this post. It was an objectively bad and stupid movie but yeah I loved those slow square-wave scenes, colours bleeding into each other. I'll probably never watch another SOV horror but I'm glad I made Demon Queen my one and only.

Kevin McCallister

Postby barbara_h » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)

Shangri-La (Takashi Miike, 2002)

Suicide Club (Sion Sono, 2001)

Cold Fish (Sion Sono, 2010)

Himizu (Sion Sono, 2011)

Address Unknown (Kim Ki Duk, 2001)

Himizu was great, made me think of Miike's Shangri-la (a heartfelt social comedy) and Kim Ki Duk's Address Unknown, which I watched again today and did not make as strong an impression as when I had watched it for the first time (it's still great though). Cold Fish was really good too and Love Exposure is bonkers in a really fun way.

barbara_h

Postby R C » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Melville wrote:Image

Revenge - I loved this. The brazen, in-your-face symbolism reminded me of Ms .45, though with more ironic distance. Lots of great technical flourishes.

The amount of blood in this
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby Giuseppe Castiglione » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 pm

sorry to bother you - 3/5

good politics =/= good movie

Giuseppe Castiglione

Postby futurist » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:
haddonfield wrote:DEMON QUEEN (1987, Donald Farmer)

i'd never seen a shot-on-video horror movie, even though it's a genre i've been wanting to explore for a long time, and this lived up to all of my expectations plus some. i saw it in a half-asleep state watching this on my parents's crappy basement tv which was pretty much ideal for taking in something this hypnagogic. kind of dead-eyed, droney vibe to the whole thing, awesome super fuzzy texture and colors. perfectly off-kilter amateur actors. could have just stared at it all spaced out for another full hour.

thanks to futurist and his Trash Picks.

Watched Demon Queen based on this post. It was an objectively bad and stupid movie but yeah I loved those slow square-wave scenes, colours bleeding into each other. I'll probably never watch another SOV horror but I'm glad I made Demon Queen my one and only.

dang Kev, i think there's a lot to be found in SOV that you might enjoy!

futurist

Postby haddonfield » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Futurist! was waiting for more sov picks from you. hopefully gonna blow through a lot of those this month, thanks.

haddonfield

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:20 pm

catching up.... revenge rules hard, the rapture is still the best film ever and I love that people are watching it or re-watching it and yeah. I fucking love this thread and missed it. Has anyone seen Beautiful Boy and was it good? I think I'll go this weekend.
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby rixx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 pm

madness and chaos wrote:catching up.... revenge rules hard, the rapture is still the best film ever and I love that people are watching it or re-watching it and yeah. I fucking love this thread and missed it. Has anyone seen Beautiful Boy and was it good? I think I'll go this weekend.

I'm gonna see it Saturday. I read nic sheff's book tweak a couple years ago. I don't really get triggered by addiction scenes in media but I do get really emotional when they are done accurately, so I expect BB to be a real rollercoaster for me. especially with it involving the parents so centrally

rixx

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:44 pm

RIXX wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:catching up.... revenge rules hard, the rapture is still the best film ever and I love that people are watching it or re-watching it and yeah. I fucking love this thread and missed it. Has anyone seen Beautiful Boy and was it good? I think I'll go this weekend.

I'm gonna see it Saturday. I read nic sheff's book tweak a couple years ago. I don't really get triggered by addiction scenes in media but I do get really emotional when they are done accurately, so I expect BB to be a real rollercoaster for me. especially with it involving the parents so centrally

Yeah, this is basically my life so it's gonna hit really hard. Tweak was really intense, I remember, but it was probably 10 years ago that I read it. Definitely gotta make a point to see it this weekend.
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:45 pm

You aren't in L.A. are you? (Sorry, I get some folks mixed up)

I don't believe so, but if you were, let's go! :)
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby rixx » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:47 am

madness and chaos wrote:You aren't in L.A. are you? (Sorry, I get some folks mixed up)

I don't believe so, but if you were, let's go! :)

I'm in NYC : (

But I will be in LA for the holidays from Nov 19-27 and Dec 9-30, I would love to grab a coffee and see a film with ya, I'll PM you when those dates get closer :D

rixx

Postby mellowgold » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 am

Leave No Trace -- Really lovely and heartbreaking. Made me think of Lean On Pete from earlier this year (still one of my favorite movies of the year). Love films about parents disappointing children. Great performances, too.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mellowgold » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:45 am

The Land of the Steady Habits -- I know Nicole Holofcener is pretty revered but this was dreadful. It kind of went against everything Holofcener is known for in the worst way. It had it's moments (and has suuuuch a good cast) but just kind of missed one almost every level.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold

Postby aububs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am

finished p'tit quinquin last night. it's absolutely incredible, gripping, hilarious, unique. never seen anything like it. will start coincoin & the extra humans next week.

off to see farenheit 11/9 and kenny powers' halloween tonight. two horror movies I guess
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby mystery meat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:17 am

Sully is the worst movie i've ever seen

movies about internal investigations and hearings can be so ambiguous and suspenseful -- Caine Mutiny, Court Martial of Billy Mitchell, Sergeant Rutledge -- by cross-wiring motivations and withholding key facts about what happened until critical moments in the narrative. Sully is a 90-min movie, 30% of which is the flashback to the landing (parts of which are replayed multiple times), whose only stakes are whether Sully is gonna be found negligent according to a safety commission hearing or whatever -- he already has 40yrs of distinguished piloting behind him and the unqualified admiration of the public, he's gonna be ok. the recreation of the landing and the events leading up to it don't expand our understanding of what happened beyond what everyone's already been blabbing on about already ("wow, Sully...what a guy, can you believe he landed that plane on the dang Hudson, jesus") -- he's an unambiguous hero and so there's no point in the flashback cuz it doesn't reveal any new info, new clues or nuances or complications that enrich the story. the one dude investigating is just a snarling bully who hates Sully for no reason -- the implication being that all enforcers of bureaucratic red tape are like this sniveling pencil-pushing fuck who's never been ON THE GROUND in a REAL EMERGENCY SITUATION. the fact that reality is so 180degree opposite of this movie (people fuck up in dangerous jobs and misuse their authority all the time, and the investigations that should hold them accountable are usually just exercises in ass-covering). when Sully proves once and for all that he is a Hero thru no real strength or fortitude of his own (like a report just comes in deus ex machina to exonerate him) the investigators suddenly humble themselves to him and everyone has to admit they were wrong. that the movie winds up being about how NEW YORK CAME TOGETHER ON THIS FATEFUL DAY...THIS IS WHAT AMERICA IS REALLY ABOUT it just made me wanna die. this isn't a narrative, it's just jacking off the subject, it has all the dimension of a 30second political ad. fuck Sully.

mystery meat

Postby delgriffith » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 am

BIRDS!

delgriffith

Postby madness and chaos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am

YES RIXX!
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby sleigh » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:55 am

The Sisters Brothers - Just spoilering cuz it's new
Could absolutely see the book being excellent, and the four principals were excellent, but this movie could have hugely benefitted from a different and much better director imo. It was like a high-end old car being worked on by an insufficient mechanic, took forever to get going, constant kicks and sputters, occasionally moments when it really fuckin hummed. So many important moments were handled so artlessly, and dispatched with the barest and most basic of dialogue. And then these unearned (imho) long meditative shots.

That all said, I did enjoy it, I'm happy I saw it, and I did get very choked up by the culminating sequence. The Mayfield setpiece was very fun and and Phoenix and O'Reilly were a delight. Ultimately a movie made up of far more many misses than hits imo.
Toggle Spoiler
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby easy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Roma GOOD.

easy
does it

Postby mellowgold » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Free Solo -- I was really intrigued by this and it's mostly good reviews but it was kind of dreadful. The Man. The Myth. The Legend.-ness that surrounds Alex Honnold is pretty damn toxic and it was not fun to watch his ego and the way in which he treated his girlfriend. He's like...an extremely less charming Kanye West of the rock climbing world in the worst way. It has it's brief moments of tension (I did not find any of the free solo rock climbing scenes stressful at all but maybe that says more about me) but this was just kind of a waste of time.

mellowgold

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:35 pm

This was no CMBYN. It's a decent film for parents and/or other people affected by addiction that may not know too much, but it didn't go too far past that for me. This is the first 1/4th of my life and drug-using career. I thought it felt like the Basketball Diaries or some movie that's already been played out and that's exactly what I thought it wouldn't be. I expected it to entice me and go a lot farther than it did. Felt generic a lot. I looked forward to it a bit too much I think. I'd say maybe a 6/10
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby spix et chicho » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:19 pm

who was the Beautiful Boy
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm

spix et chicho wrote:who was the Beautiful Boy

we all know that was Sean Lennon
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby sleigh » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:43 pm

the old man and the gun (again, only spoiler for new release) i loved the shit out of this. in stark contrast to the sister brothers the direction and editing was lovely. redford and spacek, my god. really lovely as swan song for redford. my only criticism is that it ran out of gas and ended on a pretty weak note. i guess my other criticism would be — and maybe this comes from the grann article, idk, i haven't read that — it doesn't seem to engage at all morally with the consequences of his actions, even if only the extent of his paramore. so somewhat shallow. but overall a just lovely ass film with some great, great moments. redford for oscar imho

kinda felt like a lighthearted and laidback tinker tailor soldier spy
Toggle Spoiler
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby No Good Advice » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Ended up watching Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. It's less bad than the first! It's better directed! Lots of extremely dumb shit still constantly happens but at least it's not centered around annoying kids and a stereotype of an emotionless business woman. I mean, I guess it actually is, but the kids are a little less annoying and the business part of Bryce Dallas Howard's character is mostly forgotten.

What I really miss is any sense JP had of sci-fi allure, of 'what if this was real', because man does this never feel real.

Still, this had a kind of simple, brain dead thrill ride appeal the first World lacked. Can't wait for Colin T to take the director's chair again for the third!
Last edited by No Good Advice on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Good Advice

Postby kirito » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:04 pm

apostle was really stupid but fun
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby mystery meat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Vincere ('09) - movie about Mussollini ghosting his first wife directed by legendary Italian director Marco Bellocchio with a lot of contemporaneous silent film interpolations, the implication seeming to be that Ida Dalser's story has the operatic arc of 'diva' films of the 10s and 20s in Italy. pretty sick flick.

mystery meat

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley