coco was cool :mrgreen:
walt whitman

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 am

10 mins into KILLER PARTY

wtf jajaja
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 am

Aw yeah. Was wondering if anybody was gonna watch that.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:16 pm

totally throwing this on rn from a recc

Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby aububs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm

^incredible movie
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby forest design » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Turned on the blu extended cut of Once Upon a Time in America the other day but had to turn it off 10 mins in cause it was giving me a panic attack. Gotta be careful with this one.
forest design

Postby brody » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

coco is great

feels like one of the few pixar movies they can't possibly sequel-ize but we'll see
brody

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:11 pm

madness and chaos wrote:totally throwing this on rn from a recc

aububs wrote:^incredible movie

Combat Shock? Hell yeah.

Like Eraserhead crossed with "Frankie Teardrop"
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Yeah, it was pretty mind-blowing.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby pink snake » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Just saw Upgrade. I liked it.
pink snake

Postby inmate » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:27 pm

warlock (dmytryk, 1959)

everything about this movie rules. i love me some morally-ambiguous westerns
inmate

Postby bongo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 pm

national gallery (wiseman, 2014)

rewatch. maybe the most balm wiseman. could be 5 times as long as it is.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 pm

bingo did you watch Ex Libris? Extremely good and balm.
delgriffith

Postby aububs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 am

Buddy Glass wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:totally throwing this on rn from a recc

aububs wrote:^incredible movie

Combat Shock? Hell yeah.

Like Eraserhead crossed with "Frankie Teardrop"

if pushed it's maybe my favourite movie

have often watched it in a doubler with Deadbeat at Dawn

they compliment each other well
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby goofjan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 am

Tom E. Lewis passed away last month from a heart attack. I've only ever seen one movie with him, Red Hill, which I re-watched recently. It's not amazing or anything but it's a tight little thriller that's pretty underrated and Lewis is very good in it. Highly recommended.

plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby dcm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Faces Places

I went into this expecting a straightforward travelogue that celebrates image making, and while it 100% delivered on this end, the way it concludes totally blindsided me and turned the entire thing into a much more considered portrait of cinematic narrative than I anticipated, and particularly the influence of France (i.e. JLG) on its possibilities.
dcm

Postby boost » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 pm

boost

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:53 am

Would anybody be kind enough to throw Combat Shock into the DB?
jalapeño ranch

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:Would anybody be kind enough to throw Combat Shock into the DB?

do you want me to download it and throw it in there? this is actually the director's cut with a different title on the opening screen and some more graphic footage. I can't find that version to download, at least at this point.

Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:14 am

Didn't realize it was on Youtube, I can just watch that, thanks.
jalapeño ranch

Postby mellowgold » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:07 am

mellowgold wrote:
Franco wrote:mellowgold, you ever see Ramen Girl?

omg no i just googled it wrjfsafidfkassdgfjaeaerfgrg

it's on hulu. ugh im prob going to watch this now. more like Tamnono :(

hi i watched this last night and i didn't hate it lmao. It's Brittany Murphy's Whiplash but instead of drumming it's...ramen making. and apparently some of this was filmed in Yokohama and it's really beautiful!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 am

:D I've seen it a few times and now want to watch it again
Franco

Postby futurist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm

wow had no idea there was a director's cut of combat shock
futurist

Postby death is my amigo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Won't You Be My Neighbor
Exactly what I wanted/needed.

There's this heartbreaking effect where you spend so long in Rogers' decent, kind, and innocent world, and then as he ages -- as we get into the seventies, then eighties, then nineties, which happens pretty quickly, we start to see gradually more interpolation of other media and it's shocking, whether it's the insane pace and garishness of weekend cartoons or other kid's media, or the callousness of standard programming for adults. Which created for me two feelings: one of Rogers' waning influence on the world as he ages, and the other of our culture leaving him behind and there being no cultural space for a figure like him as the market eventually came to bear. He is never controversial at any point in the film -- not even when advocating for PBS at senate hearings -- even in the Reagan eighties it's just some mild curiosity about like, can a guy really be that good? -- until towards the end we see some Fox clips excoriating him, yknow, for raising a generation of snowflakes or whatever.

And there's just the devastating sense that the scale of life has gotten too large, that (and the movie of course doesn't go here directly at all, but it's sort of unmistakable) that capitalist soulessness has become too, maybe irreversibly, enmeshed, for a thing like this to exist anymore. So much of what Rogers saw as his role was to protect kids from "the molders" who wouldn't allow kids to be who they are & instead try to push them along the consumer production line. And that was in the sixties! It's one of the few things in the movie you see him rage, in his way, against. The last thing the doc has to say about that is an interview clip from his wife saying that if he were around today, she doesn't know that he would think the task is just insurmountable.

So all in all a mostly very balmy experience -- certainly calming and gentle -- but with a pretty, at least for me, heartbreaking takeaway.
Toggle Spoiler
so
death is my amigo
ok

Postby Franco » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Franco

Postby forest design » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:27 pm

death is my amigo wrote:Image
Won't You Be My Neighbor
Exactly what I wanted/needed.

There's this heartbreaking effect where you spend so long in Rogers' decent, kind, and innocent world, and then as he ages -- as we get into the seventies, then eighties, then nineties, which happens pretty quickly, we start to see gradually more interpolation of other media and it's shocking, whether it's the insane pace and garishness of weekend cartoons or other kid's media, or the callousness of standard programming for adults. Which created for me two feelings: one of Rogers' waning influence on the world as he ages, and the other of our culture leaving him behind and there being no cultural space for a figure like him as the market eventually came to bear. He is never controversial at any point in the film -- not even when advocating for PBS at senate hearings -- even in the Reagan eighties it's just some mild curiosity about like, can a guy really be that good? -- until towards the end we see some Fox clips excoriating him, yknow, for raising a generation of snowflakes or whatever.

And there's just the devastating sense that the scale of life has gotten too large, that (and the movie of course doesn't go here directly at all, but it's sort of unmistakable) that capitalist soulessness has become too, maybe irreversibly, enmeshed, for a thing like this to exist anymore. So much of what Rogers saw as his role was to protect kids from "the molders" who wouldn't allow kids to be who they are & instead try to push them along the consumer production line. And that was in the sixties! It's one of the few things in the movie you see him rage, in his way, against. The last thing the doc has to say about that is an interview clip from his wife saying that if he were around today, she doesn't know that he would think the task is just insurmountable.

So all in all a mostly very balmy experience -- certainly calming and gentle -- but with a pretty, at least for me, heartbreaking takeaway.
Toggle Spoiler

I was going to wait to see this at home but this review makes me want to run to the theater tomorrow. Thanks for that.
forest design

Postby bongo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 pm

aububs wrote:gonna have to let this one percolate for a bit I think. I was really looking forward to it and it wasn't quite what I expected. despite what it seemed like on the surface (ponderous, obtuse) there's a lot going on here narratively and stylistically. there is an underlying discomfort to the movie which martel does really well and it escalates at the end. only other Martel I've seen is The Headless Woman but I like how she essentially makes existential horror movies

just watched this. its a masterpiece.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:05 am

Ezekiel Cletus

Postby Celiac Cruz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 am

^Is that from Serpico
Celiac Cruz

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:20 am

That one has no real explanation.
jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.