Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby aububs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:I've never sat down and watched a Fassbinder movie because whenever I entertain the idea I see that the running time is 242 minutes and I decide to wait for another night.

Ali is only 90 mins long and one of his best, you could start there. I did. fox and friends is only 2hrs. I get u tho
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby mystery meat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am

i feel like most Fassbinder movies are really short
mystery meat

Postby aububs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:02 pm

they're mostly under 2hrs yeah

I'll often choose a movie to watch based on the runtime. under 90 mins is the sweet spot
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby object » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:05 pm

gonna get into fassbinder
object

Postby Repo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

naturemorte wrote:finally saw First Reformed, spoilers

i've been both really eager and really anxious about seeing this movie. my climate change anxiety is insanely fucking high and, as i've said in other threads, i'm also opposed to having children for the same reason that Michael gives early in the film. i knew it was going to be intense for me, but i basically think about climate change when i'm watching any contemporary movie at this point--if, as walter benjamin wrote, "there is no document of civilization which is not at the same time a document of barbarism," then there is no film made in 2018 which is not also a document of our failure to meaningfully address the biggest crisis we've ever faced as a species.

i've had it on my computer for a while but i waited to see it in a cinema. spontaneously decided, for some reason to eat 1/2 a sativa cookie beforehand, which was either the worst or the best idea, because i probably haven't had a film hit me this hard on the level of pure existential dread since i saw "songs from the second floor" in 2001. i was really squirming by the end, desperate to try to get my head out of the movie or to try to switch to a more critical register of viewing, which was hard, because it is really an incredibly engrossing film and Hawke's performance is unquestionably the most persuasive i've ever seen him give.

i think the film lets the air out of its own balloon, a bit–definitely in the last shot, but also in the many conspicuous nods it makes to its antecedents. i don't know how i feel about how self-referential schrader is being--is he just sticking climate change into a template? i don't think so, but at the same time, i'm not sure i believe that Hawke's character would really be looking at himself in the mirror with a suicide vest on if it weren't a direct taxi driver reference. like, the neil young song is both a cheap gag and a devastatingly direct statement of the central question of the narrative. if the film didn't have a subtly winking, generic framework, i doubt it would have either have been made, or would have gotten distributed by a24, or would have really been watchable. maybe it's not so much that schrader needs climate change to refresh his template, but that climate change needs a template like this to be representable at all...

good post

I think maybe the character that's almost paralized from his fear of climate change is a nod to winter light's max von sydow character (who's obsessed with a fear of nuclear bombs)? one of the nods to the film, that is
I read somewhere that bergman was really worried about this too, but I don't think that's really the case with schrader and climate change.

Toller’s attempts to help Michael leads him to empathize with his cause, and to bring his concerns to his benefactors at the megachurch up the road – only to be gently but firmly shrugged off by his superiors, who suggest that climate change might simply be what God wants to happen right now.

“I have actually heard this argument from Evangelicals,” Schrader says, “and it kind of makes sense. You know, 40 days and 40 nights, maybe God has decided to throw us off again. But it’s also kind of shocking [because] it justifies all kinds of exploitation. Financially, personally – if it’s all in God’s hands, it doesn’t matter whether I fuck you from the front or from the back.”
Repo

Postby mystery meat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm

the best 2.5hr Fassbinder is Effi Briest
mystery meat

Postby broodstar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm

effi briest is major
broodstar

Postby easy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

the old man & the gun was just the balmiest balm all the way down
easy
does it

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:29 pm

hey nathan wrote:try Satans Brew!!

yeah def.
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm

broodstar wrote:effi briest is major

agree
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 pm

madness and chaos wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:fox and his friends (1975, fassbinder)
ali: fear eats the soul (1974, fassbinder)

fassbinder has been a blind spot in my viewing history so i'm correcting that now. fox and his friends was a pretty thrilling watch. fassbinder's performance as fox is so sweet and charismatic. was a little less thrilled by ali, I know that's the big one for a lot of people and it was great, but also I dno. I think I get more invested in love stories where someone is clearly getting fucked over. fox is like a treatise on love being intrinsically tied to money as, like, bait and hook. ali by comparison feels pretty broad and crowd pleasing. maybe i missed something tho!

had never watched him myself, watched these exact two and thought the exact same thing. so I'd be interested in where to go next from here (for the both of us)

fox and his friends, I definitely like more than ali, which is "fine"... not one of my favorites
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:32 pm

watching fassbinder is interesting to me because there's a big gap between the ones I love and the ones I think that are just ok
palmer eldritch

Postby broodstar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:54 pm

when i was attending a retrospective, one of the things that was interesting to me abt fass was that he had such a drastic stylistic change. some of his films are more formalist and approach yr brechtian/godardian/straubienne influence, and then his later work becomes a lot more fassbindery camp. and it's also interesting that historically he was almost approaching some semblance of popularity at the time, which is weird to digest. i do tend to prefer the former, but then i watch s-h and realize nothing will ever come close

effi briest / 13 moons / berlin alexanderplatz i think highly of, and though i still kinda overlook fassbinder or somehow still regard him as 'eh, whatever', he did get me to seek out effi briest + alexanderplatz in book form. and also, i don't think there's been anyone quite like him
broodstar

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:57 pm

I love that Fassbinder bought lots of pure MDA and cocaine from Cookie Mueller <3
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:Image
wildlife

i really liked this if you're on the fence about seeing it fret not worst case scenario you won't regret seeing it furthermore

i think the mom wanted to fuck the son

i thought this was mostly good, especially the performances and the subtle direction + score. stylistically i was picking up some The Master vibes in those aspects, especially the score and some of the close-ups and scenes like the portrait studio.

i'm not sure i totally bought mulligan's transition though. i get that it was supposed to come off as erratic and ambiguous for at least the middle portion of the film, but the way it went from point a to b to c felt a little jarring or rushed or something. seems a script issue more than anything.Toggle Spoiler

strong disagree on your spoiler it was one of the highlights of the film for me she had it within her her whole life but never had an outlet for it which is why it came out the way it did particularly in the amazing dinner date scene. it also juxtaposes well to her husband and his insular way of dealingToggle Spoiler
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby manierisme » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:26 pm

need to see more fassbinder but i just wanna say that imho lola is a contender for the most beautiful colors of ANY movie (especially on 35mm)
manierisme

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

people, rank fassbinder
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm

also like, is Kamikaze 1989 worth watching

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm

manierisme wrote:need to see more fassbinder but i just wanna say that imho lola is a contender for the most beautiful colors of ANY movie (especially on 35mm)

"it's a good one"
palmer eldritch

Postby object » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm

broodstar wrote:when i was attending a retrospective, one of the things that was interesting to me abt fass was that he had such a drastic stylistic change. some of his films are more formalist and approach yr brechtian/godardian/straubienne influence, and then his later work becomes a lot more fassbindery camp. and it's also interesting that historically he was almost approaching some semblance of popularity at the time, which is weird to digest. i do tend to prefer the former, but then i watch s-h and realize nothing will ever come close

effi briest / 13 moons / berlin alexanderplatz i think highly of, and though i still kinda overlook fassbinder or somehow still regard him as 'eh, whatever', he did get me to seek out effi briest + alexanderplatz in book form. and also, i don't think there's been anyone quite like him

what is s-h?
object

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:49 pm

spix et chicho wrote:also like, is Kamikaze 1989 worth watching

wow, looks sick af
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:37 pm

guess I'll try this out to learn more

Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:53 pm

i’m still laughing at the twice repeated “You know Hitler?” “Hitler, yes.” exchange tho
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby broodstar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:08 pm

object wrote:what is s-h?

straub-huillet

every post about film should just be an excuse to namedrop straub-huillet. (brief introdump: they are very highly regarded because of their extremely rigid formalism and high-artsy fartsy interests, but to, like, a 'normie' movie-goer, they might be the most boring films imaginable)

fassbinder that i can remember:

berlin alexanderplatz
in a year of 13 moons
effi briest
bitter tears of petra von kant
-
katzelmacher
ali
why does herr r. run amok?
-
fox and his friends
everything else

need to catch up with eight seasons will blah blah blah

man, this is why letterboxd is useful i suppose
broodstar

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Clouds of Sils Maria

I didn't know anything about this movie and kept expecting it to go in some crazy Persona/Mulholland Drive direction lol
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Melville » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm

In a Year of Thirteen Moons is one of the best movies. Ali and Maria Braun didn't do much for me. I think that's all I've seen. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant sounds like exactly my kind of movie, but I've never gotten around to watching it.
Melville

Postby broodstar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:50 pm

and not particularly recommending it, but i think the best book i've glanced thru on fass was thomas elsaesser's
broodstar

Postby nosebleeds » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Watched Tampopo for the first time today. Feeling pretty good right now.
nosebleeds

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Black Narcissus (1947) - I stan a motherfuckin style icon
Franco

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Not a nun in sight that can resist this
Franco

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....