You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am

Brouhaha wrote:hilarious

that you actually took the time to write out all that crap

vegas is actually really vegan friendly now which was a nice surprise

that's cool i know last time i was there when i stayed at the mgm grand the toilets were always starving so now they'll have good food i can feed to them, which is what your recipes are. toilet food. thanks for taking all that time to type back, and don't ever think you'll own me, because it doesn't occur and it never will
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 am

oh boy, just leave. go post your corny joke on reddit so maybe some 15yr old will laugh
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:02 am

the only thing corn-y is your recipes, now fuck off from my thread...shoo! begon!
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby water, sunbeams » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:59 am

checking in, bless this thread. whoever mentioned bryant terry, daps. anyone have any other suggestions on vegan chefs who are concerned with food justice?
water, sunbeams

Postby tarantula » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:03 am

just half-listened to this guy on the joe rogan podcast who's been eating nothing but meat for a year. "how have you not been spraying diarrhea out of yr ass 24/7" was a question i wish they would've gotten into:

tarantula

Postby sadville » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 am

it's more likely that he's had nothing come out of his ass in the last year
sadville

Postby sadville » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 am

rad fun rural vegan news alert, one of my pals is launching a vegan restaurant in our little town in late 2018!
sadville

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:44 am

at least the raw food fad disappeared
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:44 am

(in terms of restaurants)
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby hoopdog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 pm

yeah i'm trying now to just cut out red meat/pork/poultry from my diet and go from there. definitely need to gradually wean off of meat, can't flip overnight
hoopdog
ride.

Postby Seamus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:52 am

Fwiw I tried going vegetarian and failed miserably.

2 years later I flipped from omni to vegan overnight and haven't looked back.

My biggest tips for going vegan would be to go into it with a bunch of recipes that you want to try at hand, and to steer clear of the meat and dairy replacement products for the first month or two
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am

so you struggled completing a half marathon but then ran a full one like nothing. there are people like you that just went from meat to vegan but i assure you that it's a very small minority that even lasted six months

i quit red meat for 3 months, then quit chicken, never really ate/liked other meats so I was just vegetarian for many years. eventually cut out eggs and then shortly later
dairy

imagine being someone who doesn't cook a lot/ever, that lives somewhere with few if any veg restaurants and all their friends and family are meat eaters. you think that's an easy transition?
Last edited by Brouhaha on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Seamus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 am

I struggled with vegetarianism because I think I overcompensated with dairy and my skin suffered terribly. I never said it's easy (although it's easier than people assume). I was someone who doesn't cook a lot, that lives somewhere with few veg restaurants and all my friends and family are meat eaters! One of the biggest benefits of going vegan was that I actually learnt how to cook.

Seamus

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 am

fair enough but again know it isn't very common for that to work for most
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 am

Seamus wrote: steer clear of the meat and dairy replacement products for the first month or two

I'd also disagree with this as it makes things a lot easier on them in the beginning
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Seamus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 am

Brouhaha wrote:fair enough but again know it isn't very common for that to work for most

yeah i know, different strokes and all. I just wanted to let people know that it's possible.

wrt to meat & dairy replacements when i ate them in my first month or two all i could think was how they didn't taste as good as the real thing and it just made the cravings worse. not sure if anyone has experienced similar but maybe that was partly due to jumping straight in from omni without going vegetarian first.

Seamus

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:43 am

I became vegetarian so long ago that there were very few vegan products and restaurants even around then. i think it's a lot easier to do vegan these days especially if you incorporate the mock products. for some people quitting dairy is just as hard if not harder than meat so it's nice that there's all these vegan cheeses out there now

i think a lot of people are also going vegan from being educated on all its various benefits through the dozen docs on netflix, there are people under 18 that know way more than i did when i started
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby theta » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 am

maybe try to opt for vegan options over just veggie options to begin with but without strictly cutting out dairy/eggs?
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby an otter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:53 am

yeah, as with everything, going cold turkey never makes a transition easier. most recommend replacing a few things at a time, stick with that until the new habit's formed, then move on to the next. it's a game of breaking old habits and forming new ones. too many changes at once and you risk burning out. you can even start with non-food items first if that's easier.

might be a hot take and i ain't shittin on you obviously, but: it's good to keep in mind the ultimate goal with it shouldn't be to find mirror replacements to your current faves. science isn't there yet, lab meat's still on the horizon. it should be about finding new faves that you can enjoy as much. if you can't be happy as a vegan because you can't find that perfect [vegan] steak, i might argue you're approaching the issue from the wrong angle.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby bear » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm

I guess it depends upon your personality. I find doing stuff cold turkey is easier.
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby bear » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Personally, my technique was to find one day of meals I liked eating. I still eat pretty much the same thing everyday except when I eat out. I really never get tired of eating it, because it makes me feel good.
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby Paul » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Brouhaha wrote:
imagine being someone who doesn't cook a lot/ever, that lives somewhere with few if any veg restaurants and all their friends and family are meat eaters. you think that's an easy transition?

hello
Paul

Postby son of chucky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

i became extremely sensitive to animal welfare basically overnight, so i stopped eating meat last summer. but being omni for 30+ years, it's been a slow transition for me. i'm only pescatarian now. i plan to cut out fish soon but to be honest full vegan is still pretty intimidating to me, even though i know i'll get there sooner than later. this thread is helpful.
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby messier object » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 pm

hey everybody i found vegan scrapple

it’s really good
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby trope » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:37 pm

I don't really have an opinion wrt cold turkey or gradual transition, but my usual advice to people going veg is that you're probably going to fall off the wagon now and then, and you're definitely going to buy the wrong things by accident. Don't beat yourself up, about it, just learn from it and keep going.
trope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhZTNgAs4Fc

Postby trope » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I was vegetarian for 5 years before I found out the worstershire sauce I was putting in my tofu scramble is basically just fish
trope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhZTNgAs4Fc

Postby sadville » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 pm

One of the best ways to stay on the wagon is to find friends who can help

I guess this thread is like the digital version of that but basically every population center has a vegan pot luck group, and generally vegan folks are pretty welcoming of new people
sadville

Postby conductor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm

messier object wrote:hey everybody i found vegan scrapple

it’s really good

As an omnivore I've always been curious about the existence/appeal of fake meats, but this might take the cake.
conductor

Postby blab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm

yellow curry fried lentils +veggies just keeps on giving.

i've been eating oatmeal + peanutbutter for breakfast, then curried lentils for lunch, and i feel fantastic and productive.

edit:
although, my gut is still a little bewildered by the several cups of coffee i drink while working. i cut alcohol out of my life recently, a year after cutting out nictone, but reducing my coffee intake has been hard to want to do.
blab

Postby Seamus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:50 pm

son of chucky wrote:i became extremely sensitive to animal welfare basically overnight, so i stopped eating meat last summer. but being omni for 30+ years, it's been a slow transition for me. i'm only pescatarian now. i plan to cut out fish soon but to be honest full vegan is still pretty intimidating to me, even though i know i'll get there sooner than later. this thread is helpful.

being full vegan rules and is not so hard once you get the hang of it. good luck!

Seamus

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....