hipinion vegans

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby aububs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

i'm sure it's been covered a lot in this thread but does anyone have any recs for good vegan cookbooks?
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby theta » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 pm

i have a bunch in ebook format, if anyone’s interested i can post them in members
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

Postby aububs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm

that'd be great, thanks theta
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm

give me legumes or give me death

think I'll just buy a pie for my family's meat fest, made a sick carrot side salad last year that I ended up finishing eating before even going to them

which company makes the best faux roast, usually avoid faux but hey
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby an otter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm

tgk wrote:Seamus how about a vegan sheperds pie made with lentils? I made one the other week and it was very Christmassy

yeah, I do a mean vegan shepherd's pie and it's easy, filling and seasonal. stuffing and mashed potatoes & mushroom gravy are also an easy-to-vegan filler. mrs. otter's mother also does brown sugar-glazed carrots and they're unhealthy as all hell but a favourite side in their home.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby an otter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm

aububs wrote:i'm sure it's been covered a lot in this thread but does anyone have any recs for good vegan cookbooks?

i've got the standards, they're all pretty good. i like thug kitchen the best because i'm a moron.

from least fancy to most:

ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby theta » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 pm

aububs wrote:that'd be great, thanks theta

posted
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 pm

the vegan black metal chef's coming to richmond and i'm gonna be djing it, whatever 'it' is. psyched to support the scene as silly as it seems
ahungbunny

Postby sadville » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Vegan black metal chef is a blast. Cool fella
a dong is
sadville

Postby sadville » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 pm

I’m gonna do a cauliflower roast for some big holiday thang coming up
a dong is
sadville

Postby capn poopypants » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm

I had mashed cauliflower for the first time recently, and I fell in love with it. I've been sleeping on cauliflower.
capn poopypants

Postby aububs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm

thanks theta, and thanks for the recs, otter
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:33 pm

cauliflower is great but i find mashed cauliflower dis-gust-ing
ahungbunny

Postby Seamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm

thanks for the christmas rec's - i'm attempting the mushroom wellington tomorrow but if it's a disaster then i'm going to play around with shepherds pie

also huge thanks to theta for the cookbooks. i didn't have any of those previously :)

i'm a big fan of the thug kitchen books, surprised how many good recipes i've got from such a gimmicky set up. i'm also a big fan of the minimalist baker blog and there's a free ebook if you subscribe to the mailing list.

i'm a fan of this book. some of the recipes are quite advanced and ingredients can be tricky to get hold of but it's worth the effort if you enjoy cooking:

she's also just released a new book which i haven't tried yet, but has some good, easier recipes up on her hungry gecko site
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby mich » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Thug Kitchen, are you fucking kidding me. Stop supporting that racist white nonsense.

Read Bryant Terry for a black perspective on veganism: https://smile.amazon.com/Afro-Vegan-Far ... BOHUHO_1_1

The book I was already going to recommend, which happens to also be by a person of color: https://smile.amazon.com/Alternative-Ve ... _2?ie=UTF8
mich

Postby an otter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Man I didn't know the thug kitchen dude was racist, got links on this concern?
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby mich » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm

The Thug Kitchen creators are white, you've obviously read the books and blog.
mich

Postby an otter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:20 pm

i don't read their blog but i didn't even interpret the campy style of writing as appropriation, honestly. i guess i should've maybe. i assumed they were putting on some husky-townie-white-guy-with-tattoos-and-a-pitbull character, not a blackface thing.

I guess this lays out what you're saying, https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/ppmv ... ckface-909

but this,

For the uninitiated, Thug Kitchen’s recipes are sold with phrases like “Don’t fuck around with some sorry-ass ten-dollar takeout,” and “This holiday season bake a batch of these spiced sons of bitches.” The tone has led many people to deride the "Thugs," as Davis and Holloway wish to be called, as “deceptive” and “a lot like the latest iteration of nouveau blackface.” Others criticized the title of Thug Kitchen for its use of the word thug, something that has been deemed a code word—that is, a “polite way to say ‘nigger’ in mixed company.”

The backlash to the revelation that Thug Kitchen is written by white people has inspired a backlash of its own. Detractors of Davis and Holloway’s critics point out that automatically associating the word thug with black men is itself racist. But there’s no denying that the word has historically been used as a weapon to condemn people of color.

i unno. i didn't even assume the writer was black, or appropriating/deriding black culture in any way.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby mich » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:53 pm

I appreciate that you went and googled information on it for perspective rather than relying on me to explain it entirely. How none of that even occurred to you is part of why it is problematic. The ways in which whiteness appropriates and profits from the culture of POC when those same elements of culture result in the marginalization of those POC is systematic racism. Thug Kitchen is cute and funny to white people. Black people who live under the label of "thug" are denied opportunities and subject to systematic violent oppression.
mich

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 pm

edit - :barney:
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby an otter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Man, I'm gonna have to think about it then, geez. I'm willing to assume it's something systematic that I'm not fully appreciating because I'm white and sheltered, but I still don't see the word thug as synonymous with nigger, and the style of writing a further extension of that. I was raised in small, trashy towns and we'd refer to any trailer-park white dude as a thug, not thinking twice it was a racial appropriation/deformation. I'll read more on it to be entirely fair.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby Smarmy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Discovered this IS NOT vegan after eating half the bag
Seven Swans is still pretty fantastic though and I'm an atheist. sad.gif
Smarmy

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:21 pm

it's so fucking dumb/pointless how many different comp. make alternative cheese with casein in it. basically just getting bought by people on mistake or people that eat actual cheese

i looked up thug, origins are in India and I never equated the word to any group before
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby . » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 pm

thug is pretty much exclusively coded language but i dunno if it's worth raking anyone over the coals for not knowing
ride.

Postby . » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm

ahungbunny wrote:cauliflower is great but i find mashed cauliflower dis-gust-ing

yeah it's not very good

i like the sweet potato + cauliflower "rice" thing but then I gotta butter that shit up (veggie not vegan)
ride.

Postby Seamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 pm

thug kitchen is not just about the word 'thug' though, it's the whole aesthetic

i admit i never thought about it too much. i never looked at that for humour, just for recipes but i will stop buying their books (never went on the blog anyway)
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby theta » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 pm

two vegan hipinions:

cauliflower is best crispy, and

cashew cheese is the best vegan cheese
theta

Postby . » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:34 pm

yeah i basically exclusively roast my danged caulis to a crisp
ride.

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 pm

beer-battered buffalo fried cauliflower is my go-to pot luck dish, it's so universal it's almost cheating

Smarmy wrote:Image

Discovered this IS NOT vegan after eating half the bag

don't worry, making this mistake with this exact product is something of a vegan rite of passage
ahungbunny

Postby . » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 pm

what is the point of it if it's not vegan
ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All