hipinion vegans

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby blayk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:40 pm

gunna make some curry lentils tonight wish me luck
blayk

Postby sadville » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:46 pm

my gf makes these really rad black bean patties; i'm trying to convince her to turn those things into sweet, sweet capital
a dong is
sadville

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:56 pm

turns out this vegan condom I used actually contains some milk
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby sadville » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:04 pm

ahee?
a dong is
sadville

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:06 pm

i believe it was the bad joke brand
Last edited by Brouhaha on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby fuckyoudad » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:12 am

blayk wrote:gunna make some curry lentils tonight wish me luck

any update?
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby night city » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13 am

you're in our thoughts... and our prayers
night city

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 pm

ahungbunny

Postby whitebelt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Where is the best place from the internet to buy soy curls?
whitebelt

Postby blayk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm

fuckyoudad wrote:

any update?

it was soo easy and it was fantastic. i started carrots, garlic, stirred in curry powder, and then added lentils. i haven't made curry-based sauted things, and i realized that it's really as easy as just stirring that shit in right in there.

it would be a quick dish too if i didn't fuck up my lentils when i was simmering them. i made a crazy red lentil mash. second round of simmering made more tender lentils. i'm a lentil scrub

since then i made some curry fried rice and it was p good :awful:
blayk

Postby messier object » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 pm

mich wrote:Read Bryant Terry for a black perspective on veganism: https://smile.amazon.com/Afro-Vegan-Far ... BOHUHO_1_1

just want to second that Bryant Terry is real good and also his work in in Afro-Vegan is excellent (and remarkably weeknight-meal focused), I posted one in the weeknight meals thread:

Tanzanian-style Tofu Curry with Mustard Greens from Afro-Vegan
time: about 45 minutes

1 block extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 tbs + 3 tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 medium white onion, diced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs ginger, minced
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
seeds from 6 cardamom pods
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
14oz can of diced tomatoes w/juices
1 heaping tbs chunky peanut butter
1 jalapeño, minced

3 cups stock
12oz mustard greens cut into bite-size pieces (i used red kale and that works fine in a pinch)
2 bay leaves
2 tbs chopped cilantro

Preheat your oven to 450. Toss the tofu with 2 tbs of olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt so that it's all coated, then put it on a sheet pan in a single layer to roast for 30 minutes, flipping them after 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tbs of olive oil in a pot. Add the mustard seeds and stir them until they pop, maybe 2-3 minutes. Add the diced onion and 1/2 tsp salt and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, cardamom, chili powder, black pepper, ground ginger, and garlic powder and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Now add the diced tomatoes, peanut butter, and jalapeño and stir to combine. Add the stock and mustard greens and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Decrease heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.

Remove the tofu from the oven and add it to the soup, let simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Pick out the bay leaves and add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with cilantro.

also his writing on veganism & food justice in it is good and the music & literature recommendations are actually fun & useful!
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby blurst of times » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm

i meant to mention that i made that dish recently, messier object. thanks for posting! it was v good and v simple to make (though i subbed spinach for the mustard greens). def gonna add it to my weeknight rotation.

also pretty interested in getting terry's book
blurst of times
ride.

Postby hoopdog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 am

this thread is really long and i'm not gonna bother to read it all rn but can someone help me out as someone trying to transition to a more plant based lifestyle after years of eating shitty food? easy recipes/helpful hints/etc? i think this is something i wanna try out; i'm a week on a mostly vegetarian diet and it's the longest i've cut out meat probably ever.

help!
hoopdog
ride.

Postby messier object » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 am

i just keep trying things until i hit a decent size field of things that are easy to cook so i keep cooking things without repeating more than once or twice a month! sometimes things fall out of circulation and sometimes they pop back in. i dunno really, that sounds kind of dumb i guess! but some fun recipes i've picked up from the thread:

it's grapefruit season again, this is a crispy tofu-kale-grapefruit-miso salad that takes like 20 minutes:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/crispy-zaatar-tofu-kale-avocado-grapefruit-salad-recipe.html

soba w/charred eggplant, chile, & mango, also speedy (imo ignore the "wait 1-2 hours" last step):
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/soba-noodles-with-eggplant-and-mango-recipe.html

i'm a big sucker for peanut stews:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/west-african-inspired-vegan-peanut-sweet-potato-soup-recipe.html

beet curry & charred green beans w/chile flakes & coconut:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/29/sri-lankan-beetroot-curry-recipe-vegan-green-bean-mallum-meera-sodha

definitely done del's white bean & italian sausage cassoulet with field roast and some extra olive oil before:
http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?p=4903108#p4903108

i like the ppk/isa moskowitz + terry hope romero stuff even tho i used to cook waaay too much from their stuff:
http://www.isachandra.com/recipes/

serious eats vegan category as a whole is good, actually
http://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-experience
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:29 am

honestly, I'd just focus on being vegetarian for a month or two then start to cut out the other stuff, lot of meat eaters tend to go back when they make a huge change like that
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:37 am

whats up vegans! gonna be visitin your fair city early next year and was wondering if you could give me some destinations that are off the strip and not too touristy....museums, art Houses, that sorts of thing? be staying at either the hooters hotel or the stardust i think, so anything within ubering distance of their...perfect
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 am

hilarious

that you actually took the time to write out all that crap

vegas is actually really vegan friendly now which was a nice surprise
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby dmitry » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 am

bouhaha you are why people eat meat
dmitry

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 am

dmitry, you're an idiot. been veg since 99, seen it all as far as meat eater attempts. going vegetarian first works best

also those that do it for ethical reasons over like health tend to stick it out a lot longer, obviously
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 am

dmitry wrote:bouhaha you are why people eat meat

no, people eat meat because they're lazy
ahungbunny

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 am

edited for drunken missing-the-point-ness
Last edited by ahungbunny on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahungbunny

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am

Brouhaha wrote:hilarious

that you actually took the time to write out all that crap

vegas is actually really vegan friendly now which was a nice surprise

that's cool i know last time i was there when i stayed at the mgm grand the toilets were always starving so now they'll have good food i can feed to them, which is what your recipes are. toilet food. thanks for taking all that time to type back, and don't ever think you'll own me, because it doesn't occur and it never will
das ding wrote:

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 am

oh boy, just leave. go post your corny joke on reddit so maybe some 15yr old will laugh
no whammies
Brouhaha

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:02 am

the only thing corn-y is your recipes, now fuck off from my thread...shoo! begon!
das ding wrote:

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby water, sunbeams » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:59 am

checking in, bless this thread. whoever mentioned bryant terry, daps. anyone have any other suggestions on vegan chefs who are concerned with food justice?
water, sunbeams

Postby tarantula » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:03 am

just half-listened to this guy on the joe rogan podcast who's been eating nothing but meat for a year. "how have you not been spraying diarrhea out of yr ass 24/7" was a question i wish they would've gotten into:

tarantula

Postby sadville » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 am

it's more likely that he's had nothing come out of his ass in the last year
a dong is
sadville

Postby sadville » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 am

rad fun rural vegan news alert, one of my pals is launching a vegan restaurant in our little town in late 2018!
a dong is
sadville

Postby . » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:44 am

at least the raw food fad disappeared
ride.

Postby . » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:44 am

(in terms of restaurants)
ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All