i'll bet tickets are not going as fast as eric would have you believe
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 pm

I did not go to shrek, this is a huge personal failing

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm

right now there is a debate raging between people who think that it's wrong and terrible for people to dispose of dog waste in cans that are at the curb and people that think it's good and fine.

I'm on the "it's good and fine" side but I'm not about to step in this one *rimshot*

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:26 pm

this is the email that started it off:

A Request wrote:Occasionally dog-walkers deposit their pet’s waste in our garbage can which is at the curb. We would like to request that such waste be taken home and disposed of, rather than left for us. Thank you for your consideration.

no address. so I have no idea which house it is on a very long street that isn't okay with it.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Brain Stew » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I think it's cool if you throw it in a can before trash has been collected. Otherwise I have to hang on to your bag of dog shit for a week.
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:42 pm

why do you care that there is trash in your trash can. it's not supposed to be kept pristine.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby BlackSugar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:47 pm

I say this as a former dogwalker who constantly struggled on where to dump shitbags

but the fact is that in dc, the garbage guys don't dump your can, they pull out your garbage bags. if there's a bunch of small shitbags in there, they will remain in there. and when it's summer and you've got multiple bags of shit in your garbage can, the smell is unreal plus then we get swarms of flies

so I'm anti-shitbags in randos' garbages

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:48 pm

oh, we have a truck that comes and picks up the cans and shakes everything out of them

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 pm

it always blows my mind when I see sanitation workers having to throw bags of trash in the back of a heaping trash truck

then i remember that it's like that most places

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 pm

maybe I'll print out and laminate a poop emoji so that people know it's okay to put their dog poop in my bin if it's out and they're walking their dog

like a hobo sign for dog shit
Last edited by kit fox on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby dmitry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 pm

post the whole thread, i want to be euucated about what to do with dog trash

dmitry

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:56 pm

thanks for raising this issue. Dog-walkers also use our garbage bins in the same fashion. Our bins are there for our use, not for general neighborhood use. It would be lovely if this practice would stop.

While our garbage bin generally is only put out at the curb on collection day, I don't mind at all if people put dog waste bags in there while it is out. In fact, I would rather have them put it there than leave it on the street, as too many dog walkers are unfortunately prone to do. The bags take up very little space, and if they are placed in a full can waiting for collection they disappear along with everything else. If they are placed there after collection, then they'll be in the can after I wheel it back into the driveway for the next week. As I don't inspect my can for dog waste bags, I would not care if there were some in there, because I'd rather have a few small bags in my trash than have dog waste left on lawns, sidewalks, or streets.

If the choice is between putting dog poop in your bin or leaving it for people to step in, then clearly putting it in your bin is the better choice. But [redacted]'s concern, and mine, is between putting it in your bin and putting it in their own bin. That's a different kind of choice.

I concur with, and add my voice to those requesting that dog owners don't treat neighbors' trash bins as public receptacles. Especially in the summer, finding a bag of poop in your trash bin does not exactly feel considerate.

Re disposing of dog poop , assuming in tied bags....
I have no problem with the request some of you have made.
But...
My husband has alzheimer,s...and walking the dog is something he can still do independently, which is important to me. I will tell him this request from neighbors, and likely multiple times, but it is very likely he will not remember, so if you see him violate this request, please be forgiving. He can read just fine , however, and if those of you who were not wanting a deposit into your trash might consider putting a PLEASE NO DOG POOP sign on your bin, that would help. As for my trash, fire away!.... if your dog poops while in front of our house and the bin is handy, as long as the bag is tied!

It certainly is a great deal more pleasant to be able to dispose of these bags along the way of a walk, so it would also be nice to have a sense of whose trash is ok for this...maybe a different sign..."dog friendly"? I will do that on our bin....and see if that works without being inundated.

Hi- I do not want people throwing poop in our trash can. I do not feel labeling my trash can is necessary. It's common courtesy not to open someone else's can and definitely common courtesy not to throw feces in there. If you are ok with poop in your can, that's great, you can label it as poop friendly.

Thank you for respecting this request,

Great comments... I second the comments about people not picking up after their dog. I don't want my dog - or my shoes - exposed to other dog poo when I go to the trouble of picking up my doggy deposits in the dark. If it is THAT hard to pick up and carry all the way home, please feel free to use our trash can if you are nearby. That said... carrying the poo is just part of having a dog in the city - maybe you can tie the bag a little tighter to avoid unpleasantness. OR - if your dog is smart - I've seen dogs trained to carry their own baggies!!! I do feel bad for them, considering their sensitive olfactory systems - but the dogs don't really seem to mind.

I'd like to say that perhaps because we always use our own trash can for our dog deposits, of which there are plenty, I don't think we have any problems at all with people rooting around in OUR trash cans looking (more than once) for anything of use...

So I guess some of your are missing out...

;-)

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 pm

my feeling is that if you don't want people rooting around in your trash, maybe a couple baggies of dog shit on top is exactly what you need

PLUS I thought it was well known that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to trash on the curb

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby dmitry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:59 pm

im gonna use "I concur with, and add my voice to" for every dumb thing i hear now

dmitry

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 pm

oh somebody accidentally started a new thread, here are some more gems:

There are a lot of people who walk dogs in this neighborhood who are not on the list serve. It makes sense to put a note on your bin.

That said, I do wish more public trash cans were available. I run with my dog fairly regularly, and while it's easy enough to walk home with a bag of waste, it is very difficult to run with one, and my options for disposal are limited ([two parks] are the only two sites I can rely on).

When I ran with a dog, I used a fanny pack reserved for that.

This is a good and reasonable email?? very rare.

Hi neighbors,

I agree, it would be very helpful to have a note on the trash cans for those who don't want a neighbor/dog owner to put a poo bag in their can.

I am also a dog owner/walker and do not mind if someone uses our trash can to dispose of poo. I prefer that to finding poo on our lawn!

I'm curious about the reasons for having this aversion to poo in your trash can. If you have a moment, would be grateful to learn and understand.

Thanks!

:-)

I don't have a dog right now (terribly miss him and the daily walks!), but am a dog-lover who sympathizes with dog walkers. I will label my bin "Dog Friendly" for those need a receptacle for securely-tied bags, but respect each neighbor's right to privacy. I suggest that dog-walkers only deposit bags in bins marked "Dog Friendly".

This person is very active on the emails and recently emailed out putting someone on blast for calling the cops on her for animal abuse because her dogs were out playing in the snow.
Hi folks,

I so much like [redacted]'s idea. Let's try to spread good will toward each other. Just put "Dog Friendly" on your bin. I've both put poop bags in my friends' bins and had people put disgusting things to me in my bins (I'm allergic to smoke and mold, and I find cigarette butts and old food thrown straight into my garbage bin, which now smells like heck.) I can really see both perspectives. I'm glad someone who felt irked brought it up and that another caring neighbor came up with a nice way to handle it.

In the big picture, we all like to think we don't irk anyone, but we do. It is also the reality that some of us love dogs (mine are my family) and others of us really don't like them, their smells and barks, destructive habits, even the way they throw someone the side-eye. I hope I don't lose you as friendly neighbors, but we just need to get along. It's not like the dogs have any choice in being dogs, and people have any choice in being human; it's not like anyone becomes more tolerant automatically. It's a practice, right? So I pick up the cigarette butts, bits of garbage, and dog poop ANYWHERE I see in in our neighborhood. I remember how fortunate we are all to live here, to have good water and air, and to have so many good and interesting people nearby.

Yours truly,

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Kit, you live in A2 too? Ffffff.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Live off of south 7th.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby kit fox » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:23 pm

yeah, im down stadium from you. did you go see shrek??

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby clouds » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:24 pm

i liked this one

computer help
Eileen from _______ Park · 7 Feb

I am not getting my emails to my Apple desk computer....I don't know what I did...anybody savy with Apple and can come over and fix? Have to text me at 123-456-7890....cuz can't get emails...ha

clouds

Postby Brain Stew » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:34 pm

kit fox wrote:why do you care that there is trash in your trash can

BlackSugar wrote:when it's summer and you've got multiple bags of shit in your garbage can, the smell is unreal plus then we get swarms of flies

I'm not going to go nuts about it, but it's still annoying.
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby clouds » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 pm

clouds

Postby clouds » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:25 pm

whoops i accidental thanked nik when i screengrabbed that

fuk u nik

clouds

Postby Kaputt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:42 pm

so it would also be nice to have a sense of whose trash is ok for this...maybe a different sign..."dog friendly"? I will do that on our bin....and see if that works without being inundated

The use of inundated there is killing me.

Kaputt

Postby kit fox » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

there's this cat who is always running around the neighborhood and people are emailing about him and his owners sometimes email about him and christ if he's an outdoor cat he's an outdoor cat, come on

these are all the emails since 2013:

so now his owners have a dog too. got these emails 2 days ago.

lost dog wrote:Just unsuccessfully tried to catch a black and white dog that came from Sylvan with a neighbor at [street].

lost dog wrote:Yep, that was Dixie. We got her, thanks.

-Little Walter's god damn owner

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Mon May 01, 2017 5:20 pm

this is a classic email thread about some suspicious activity in the hood:

Neeihborhood Concern wrote:Hello everyone,
The past couple of nights I have noticed that there has been some suspicious activity. There has been a white ish colored station wagon with very loud squeaky breaks that has been pulling up to cars parked on the street on golden. It's what seems like they are pulling up and inspecting each car on golden avenue. I wasn't as concerned at first but it's been going on for about 2-3 nights and they have even pulled up to my car. While it could be nothing I just wanted to let the neighborhood know just in case.

[address] here, and I've noticed the same thing (white vehicle, squeaky sounds coming from bad tensioners or a loose belt most likely)

I've also seen them pull into driveways and back out (but didn't see anyone exit the vehicle).

hmm that's weird. a car going house to house in the late night/early morning?? what does that sound like? oh yeah, it's the person delivering your god damn new york times you jerks!!

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:28 pm

fourth of july fireworks are so hard to figure out every year:

Fireworks wrote:Hi all,

Is there an official start time for the July 4th [neighborhood name] fireworks?

Best

Fireworks wrote:The city site (the trash section of a2gov.org) says there is no pickup on the 4th, so there should be pickup on Monday the 3rd. Pickups on Tue the 4th will be the 5th, etc, culminating in Fri pickup on Sat.

Fireworks wrote:Glad to know about the trash pickup, but would love to know if and when there will be [neighborhood] fireworks this year.

I'm tempted to respond and tell them they should set up a spot in the park by sunset, which should be around 9:15 on the 4th, but there's no way I could say it without being a total asshole, so

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby The Priest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 pm

tell them about trash pickup instead

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 pm

this practice is known as trashlighting

The Priest

Postby kit fox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:17 pm

yeah, it's weird because trash pick up was this morning, like it is every week where monday is not a holiday.

anyway just got a text from a friend asking if the neighborhood does fireworks and what time are they? I can't escape.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby lights » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 am

Bump because I joined one of those nextdoor messageboardy type things but I'm way too lazy to start my own thread about this.

Our neighborhood has a strip mall type thing built in the 70s which has been bought by a developer. Someone started a discussion on what that development might look like and shit set off. Ended up in one of the anc commissioners (think a city alderman type or some other city level representative) apparently posting the full name/address for one of the posters, and said something like "Is it a so-called neighbor that claims he's sorry for voting for me despite the Board of Elections having no record of him" and encouraged people who supported her to go knock on his door and harass him about it. She deleted the original post but there's like 20 responses to it describing it/being generally aghast.

This commissioner is famously known for having gone off the rails over the last few years, and oscillates wildly between posting normal community organizing news vs. outlandish accusations and bullshit. I've been tempted to get into it with her based on some of these nextdoor posts, but my wife is worried that she'll create some pretense for getting our dogs taken away like she did for a bar-owner in the neighborhood that pissed her off.

I thought this nextdoor thing would be useless but it's really been fascinating stuff to follow.

lights

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley