MONSANTO FAP MOUSE

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby trouble » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Matt Christman: Praxy War now avaliable on Verso Streaming.
ImageImageImage
trouble
ride.

Postby haddonfield » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 pm

light rail coyote wrote:but mostly i came in here to say fuck sam kriss because i'm not sure where else to post that and this seems like the most appropriate thread.

yep.
haddonfield

Postby quilty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm

sam kriss is the dsa dennis miller

the tim episode was garbage

chapo goes LA is the worst kind of chapo

i prefer when not all of them are on the show at once
my secret? i voted for jools stein™
quilty
ok

Postby inmate » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm

i had to drop arsenal for democracy, the working life podcast and the dead pundits society because i don’t have as much time for podcasts anymore but i liked all of them a lot. the nostalgia trap at its best is one of my favorite podcasts. sometimes the takes are shitty but i like when it’s like a leftist academic version of wtf.

intercepted is good but yeah that tucker carlson episode was horrible
inmate

Postby object » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Did sam kriss say something on twitter?
object

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm

object wrote:Did sam kriss say something on twitter?

https://pastebin.com/paWQUzCK

then he posted some shitty "apology" where he made every classic garbage excuse in the book simultaneously.

i don't have the energy to really follow the twitter developments but it seems like most of the high profile lefty people he's affiliated with has spoken out against him, which have been something of a positive development in an otherwise awful situation.

there's also been a really gross trend of more liberal types attacking women like abi wilkinson who had been friends with sam, despite the fact that she and others were the first to publicly denounce him and show solidarity with the victim.
Last edited by light rail coyote on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
light rail coyote

Postby object » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Oh i see now
object

Postby object » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Yeah seeing some "this is endemic in the left" tweets now
object

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 pm

What's the consensus on Delete Your Account? I've generally enjoyed all the eps I've heard but haven't listened in a few months.
axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 pm

object wrote:Yeah seeing some "this is endemic in the left" tweets now

Seems like its endemic everywhere...

Edit - this isn't an excuse for the sexist attitudes of men on the left, I think I misinterpreted the point.
Last edited by axelrod gunnarson on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby jca » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Ruined Prefab Sprout
jca

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:39 pm

axelrod gunnarson wrote:What's the consensus on Delete Your Account? I've generally enjoyed all the eps I've heard but haven't listened in a few months.

hit or miss depending on the guest but it's gotten a lot better as of the last few months. kumars was such an awkward host at first but he's loosened up a bit and has gotten more natural on a microphone than he used to be. any of the episodes co-hosted by mariame kaba are worth a listen and i really enjoyed the recent episode with kshama sawant.
light rail coyote

Postby Late Bloomer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm

trouble wrote:almost every podcast I looked up suggested here seems to have had matt christman as a guest in the last three episodes

not that its a dealbreaker just didn't realize he was "doing the rounds" like he was a comedian promoting a netflix special.

He was a guest on an Australian leftist Podcast a few months ago - honestly, I don't remember what it was called (it might have been mentioned here before) but it was pretty good. Having said that, the main thing about it that stuck with me was the fact that Matt didn't realize that Nick Cave was Australian, which seemed kind of strange as I kind of assumed that was common knowledge but maybe not. Anyway...
Late Bloomer

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:20 pm

chimp wrote:are there any good leftist podcasts where they don't try to make comedy jokes for like half of it. i can't sit through these guys riffing any more, turned the most recent one off after about 3 minutes

Dead Pundits Society

Adolph Reed, Jr. solve all problem
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Also Doug Henwood rules. The recent full-episode interview with Yanis Varoufakis was a good one.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby thanks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:10 pm

just read about the sam kriss stuff... really shitty
thanks

Postby inspectorhound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:32 pm

no new eps since august but I can vouch for http://www.thisisfine.net/
inspectorhound

Postby inspectorhound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 pm

also, jesus christ

inspectorhound

Postby john penis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:16 am

wendy wrote:this rules, thanks

i haven't listened to chapo in a while (just too busy and trying to listen to more audiobooks) but recently one of them broke my heart irl (my heart irl broke, i do not know any of them irl) and ugh

woah

did virgil disrespect hp canon
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself
john penis
ok

Postby chimp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:24 am

trouble wrote:almost every podcast I looked up suggested here seems to have had matt christman as a guest in the last three episodes

not that its a dealbreaker just didn't realize he was "doing the rounds" like he was a comedian promoting a netflix special.

Yeah I listened to the most recent Arsenal for Democracy this morning and he was on it. I actually didn't mind though because he was on to discuss the idea that I found most affecting and insightful of anything I heard on Chapo - his "right-wingers are preparing for an authoritarian, racist, genocidal response to climate change-induced resource scarcity"
chimp

Postby acapelli » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 am

chimp wrote:"right-wingers are preparing for an authoritarian, racist, genocidal response to climate change-induced resource scarcity"

jeez, this idea is going to keep me up at night
acapelli

Postby chimp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 am

acapelli wrote:
chimp wrote:"right-wingers are preparing for an authoritarian, racist, genocidal response to climate change-induced resource scarcity"

jeez, this idea is going to keep me up at night

chimp

Postby chimp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 am

the idea is fleshed out more in the arsenal for democracy episode. also check out "tropic of chaos" which i think is questionable in terms of its political prescriptions (parenti wants us to take a mitigationist approach to the environmental effects of capitalism because we don't have time for fundamental reform) but is very good in terms of its description of the relationship between climate change, capitalist global development and the drive towards authoritarian nationalism in the global north
chimp

Postby chimp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 am

"four futures" is a standard recc i think but i liked it a lot, it's broadly the same idea but more from the perspective of automation rendering a large swathe of the population essentially surplus to capital's requirements
chimp

Postby fox » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:26 am

chimp wrote:"four futures" is a standard recc i think but i liked it a lot, it's broadly the same idea but more from the perspective of automation rendering a large swathe of the population essentially surplus to capital's requirements

yeah

the right wing in the US is 100% prepping for mad max
fox
Prime Galoob

Postby wendy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 am

john penis wrote:
wendy wrote:this rules, thanks

i haven't listened to chapo in a while (just too busy and trying to listen to more audiobooks) but recently one of them broke my heart irl (my heart irl broke, i do not know any of them irl) and ugh

woah

did virgil disrespect hp canon

Lol I wish
wendy

Postby naturemorte » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 am

ugh maybe i shouldn't be sharing this because the emotional violence level is pretty high in general these days but every day CTH people don't come out against harassment and apologize for making light of violence against women i get more and more despairing about the left
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby Hoxha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:26 am

The person who made that tweet is going through something and has spent days harassing a trans woman. It's bizarre and grotesque even by twitter standards.
Last edited by Hoxha on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoxha

Postby husbands » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am

Yeah what everyone really needs is more apologies
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby shirts optional » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 am

Hoxha wrote:The person who made that tweet is going through something and has spent days harassing a trans woman. It's bizarre and grotesque even by twitter standards.

Is this some intra-leftist/DSA feud? I'm not familiar with any of these people
shirts optional

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All