HPN WW #5: Welcome to Rajada

There are worse ways to spend the time, but not many.

Postby lordofdiapers » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:24 pm

I got nothing from del
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.
lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby lordofdiapers » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Except his role way after it mattered
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.
lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:25 pm

werd's emails are what let me trust vanner and del

vanner didn't understand at first my explanation of what the emails meant, which would have been pretty hard to fake

and del's response indicated he had know idea about why i would expect him to be a wolf
sordid affair wrote:who is the government to tell me whether or not i can have a four loko w/ my pop tart
mikey
Voldemort

Postby fuckles » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 pm

hey mikey sorry for ribbin ya about bein a wolf
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 pm

apology accept fuckles
sordid affair wrote:who is the government to tell me whether or not i can have a four loko w/ my pop tart
mikey
Voldemort

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 pm

have fun in all stars :)
mikey
Voldemort

Postby good pups » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:48 pm

stakeout wrote:
sleigh wrote:
Feech La Manna wrote:I was a little worried that I had been waaaaayyyyy too obvious with my intro. My thinking was that if I was just the right amount of obvious the other guys could come to me while being more discrete. Then stakeout posted the shell at almost the exact same time as my intro and I was sweating.

I saw the book clubbers, particularly stakeout, were freaking out that team evil would figure out the code from Feech's post, so I went to their spreadsheet (thanks Alice) to see exactly how hot on the trail they were.

So good

incredddddible
good pups

Postby delgriffith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 pm

My boring read on the Village's game, strategy, fallout, and my journey:

- The pre-existing Book Club was important, and led by a really strong, kinda erratic, beautiful Stakeout in public.
- They got hooked up immediately with the Medium since Feech! got murked, which was huge for them, and huge for Village Win. I've already speculated about how different the game would have been if no Book Club members had died in the first couple of nights.
- iambic, after getting Catullus' protection on Night 1, was also (only around Night 7) trusted by Book Club - like the Medium, he had a good, ironclad reason to be "in" that a ghost could verify. This made him and Jugdish the only people who really could ever be theoretically brought into the Book Club in the early days.
- I think there's a reason Jugdish never trusted iambic, even though iambic was mad about that. Book Club was smart to prioritise the Medium above all. (Even more so when it became apparent what Alice's big play was).

- Attempted Cabal was bad, and misguided, alongside the email thing. The fact that the Narc could go totally undercover (and scan as Villager/Businessman) was seemingly missed by all involved until very late, and LoD played really, really well. Dude is an All-Star, what can I say?
- For my game, and the way I played, I was frustrated to be considered Cabal By Association since I argued strongly against them in the thread, and in private, all in good faith. When I first began my journey with Palmer, I said it was crazy that he could possibly be in a position to trust a group of people when the True Detective wasn't verifiable in any way. I was also motivated by the thought that I might be the True Detective at this point, though I didn't say so obviously - I just wanted to caution him against being rolled.
- I think it's easy from the position of where the Book Club was, and the way things broke for them getting the Medium so early, to look at that decision and see only Palmer doing things out of bad intent. I never saw it that way. Particularly knowing now that he was basically rolled three ways (False Emails, False Medium, and A Narc Within His Cabal), my worst fears definitely came to bear with that group assembling so fast (and without the pre-existing vouching + luck of the Book Club).
- There was an idea floated in Ghost Chat that Good Village people were afraid to speak up because of Palmer & I being so public, but I don't buy it. In this game, regular ass villagers (not specials) really needed to be mixing it up in public to figure stuff out, not sliding into your DMs like. If you look at who the WOLFCORP long survivors were, it was a guy who only posted in the thread to vote & do songs, and then two RP stars (goodpups + narc blossom) who didn't talk a ton of game strategy until the end. Talking and hashing out matters of strategy pretty much became the domain of good people. Just a bunch of good people who didn't trust one another.

- It wasn't anything Palmer did, or any Cabal actions, that got either Surly (True Shaman) or Bingo (True Detective) killed. Surly, I believe, has since admitted that he made a momentary slip in conversation and used the word "scan" and ended up dead for it. Bingo was essentially sold out by Pierrot.
- Once it became clear Alice was making a big play, I argued the same thing, I think, in both public and private to the group of people who now deeply distrusted Palmer: I really did not think that Wolfcorp would have used such a quick burn, high fuel strategy and willingly sacrifice two members for it. Because it was always going to end with Alice dying, once the messages were fully discredited. And it didn't need a fixer, or another wolf, to spread disinformation: it just needed a mark, which is what Palmer was for them. I guess it did end up costing two wolves, anyway, because of the Werd protect.

- The endgame, after the dust settled there, would have been really interesting (even more so than it was!) with a living Stakeout. The other Book Club members, Amp & Capital, never had a huge public presence. I was really surprised when Amp went down, actually. The wolves were going to kill iambic on the 3rd try. I really wanted to prove to him that I was good, and that once the real Bingo scan results finally got back from Bingo's slow ass, we could just put the entire Alice thing behind us and move on.
- Palmer, to his enormous credit, probably took the huge lumps coming at us from iambic + stakeout better than me. I got pretty frustrated by it, and no it's not the same as WW#3 as would tell me: that was the one where he killed a seer and quit, right? But yeah I was the "worst villager of all time," even though, again, I'd invite anyone to go over my vote history and until The Unblinking Eye - discounting Sutro as the brilliant Sad Boy, which everyone went for - I was right with my votes. Beyond that, my public discussion strategy was all I could really do - I wasn't a good special, I had no powers, and I was consistently open to the idea that I was wrong.

- Arguing in public in this game is exhausting. But when you are very publicly associated with a Cabal you never joined (and publicly criticised), but also very publicly distanced from a group of known good people who want nothing to do with you, I'd actually argue that the worst possible thing you could do - having advocated public discussion from start to finish - was burrow down and bury my head in the sand.
- This was not disinformation, nor was it pointless. Until the moment iambic died, the decisions facing the Book Club (the unquestioned holders of the Village's power, particularly once Alice was dismantled) amounted to taking information from the Medium and using it to make 100% sure bets for lynching.
- But here is the list of those living after iambic died and stakeout had killed himself:

bluemoon
camping
weezy
Capital
palmer eldritch
sevenarts
narc blossom
lordofdiapers
JUGLIFE
good pups
mikey
inspectorhound
delgriffith
kid8
andrei
Guy Incognito
Star-Lord
The Unblinking Eye
grammatron
fuckles

- The remaining Rajadans, with a Book Club comprised then of two members who were not going to step into the vacuum left by stakeout, and a Medium still (wisely) kept far from the public eye, just had to do a lot of old-fashioned figuring shit out. We also had two villagers who were AWOL, further depleting our numbers.
- We had no Shaman, no Detective, no Cash, no Hope, and no Jobs.
- If you were watching this and you were dead, you thought this looked easy. You thought this looked easy because you were certain that three villagers were evil. I obviously knew I wasn't evil, although I thought to ask Sleigh at one point if it was possible to just turn evil or if you had to be born that way.
- It was in times like this that I was genuinely really happy that someone like Jugdish reached out to me. His trust meant more than anything, and was also really essential because unlike people who had convinced themselves that I was nothing but Evil, he could see that I was willing to believe that Alice and the Wolves had played Palmer (and by extension, Rajada) - I was always completely open about the fact that if better information became available, I'd go with that. He took my play in the thread as Good Faith, which it was, and motivated by an attempt to sort out which competing narrative was true. He helped me see, rather than severing the cord. So thanks, Jugdish.
- In that list was:

8 x Villagers (discounting Andrei/Kid8, but including me since "False Detective" was just Villager at this point)
2 x Book Club
1 x Medium
1 x Radical

1 x Grudge Holder (who at that point had been reassigned her target but was considered to have "checked out" after fulfilling her WC)

1 x Attorney of Last Resort
1 x The Narc
1 x Sellout
1 x Framer
1 x Businessman

- It was really tough going, obviously. It's interesting that at the same time, WOLFCORP believed their game was over - having lost werd & Alice. As we saw from the fact that the end game came down to a Capital vote, it definitely wasn't. They played great, it was a really interesting game.
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:26 pm

I know everyone's in All-Stars now, I'm just being Miley!
delgriffith

Postby john plainman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:30 pm

<3 you del
next round will be better for us all!
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:30 pm

<3 you del
mikey
Voldemort

Postby john plainman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm

stakeout we could have had bingo and jugdish hooked up on like day 3 but you had to drive me away *sigh*
john plainman

Postby fuckles » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:35 pm

i guess i wish i did more backchanneling, and apologies if my RP was confusing and indicating i had a special role. anyway, glad the wolves wasted a kill on me.
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby surly » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:36 pm

actually del, they said my death was blind luck
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 pm

i think the book club's attempt at insularity is also why it was particularly hard for no one to trust it. only the book club knew who was in the book club and no one else knew that they should trust the book club and anyone that was interested in providing information to them but was not verifiable was summarily rebuffed, which in turn leads to a bunch of villagers who are open to finding someone to trust with their votes.

i'm not sure if those words made sense, but what i'm trying to say is that this game involves letting the town know how to vote, and if you dont trust anyone not even a little bit, it will be hard to convince them to vote with you
mikey
Voldemort

Postby john plainman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 pm

stakeout wrote:Pierrot your veracity is essential but cmon

i'm such a stoner, and was so stoned, that i didnt remember any of the ridiculous things i said until you just brought them up, haha. just an all around hatchet job on my part
john plainman

Postby delgriffith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Oh my bad surly, thought it was the slip or whatever. Either way it wasn't the *spooky goblin voice* Killer Cabal.

And yeah stakeout I know. When I thought I was True Detective (because I got a false positive on night 3 when Aeris died), I saw my first 2 scans (you and Jugdish funnily enough) and that they were both Villager or Businessman I wanted nothing more than to trust you both 100 percent.
delgriffith

Postby good pups » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:50 pm

delgriffith wrote:- It was really tough going, obviously. It's interesting that at the same time, WOLFCORP believed their game was over - having lost werd & Alice. As we saw from the fact that the end game came down to a Capital vote, it definitely wasn't. They played great, it was a really interesting game.

recalling our conversation at the time, at least from my perspective, we didn't think it was over at that point. even before that point we had known that alice and werd were gonna get got because that's just how their game would end naturally

here's what we were actually thinking and talking about at the time

- we were really mad at the unfairness of having had a big part of our plan built on rules that were then broken with no true consequences. we were very happy to have dunston gone, but it couldn't do anything to rectify the damage to our plan or to our game. that was a lot of time and a lot of concentrated discussion that we wouldn't have had to deal with otherwise. we would have had to deal with all of it no matter what, but not in such a concentrated dose, and during a time where we were actually shocked that any of this could even be going on

- we also knew that it made it a certainty that from that point forward, the game could only be won by digging down and doing a ton of public and private deception and actively call for lynchings, which is more time-consuming and stressful than any other kind of play for wolves. that ended up being fun, but it's not a very fun prospect, and actually, i think it ended up being even more work than i expected it to be
good pups

Postby good pups » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:53 pm

the gloom and doom that we had at that moment (but which most of us lost pretty quickly), and the way werd and alice went down - those two things combined are what i believe made star-lord decide he would quit without talking to any of us. he just took advantage of that short weird period to do what he wanted.
good pups

Postby good pups » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:01 am

(and when i say the way werd and alice went down, i just mean the way it looked when you were reading their pre-death posts, because i'm sure star-lord just glanced at those and thought "eh i'll do that too." same for the complaining within wolfchat. "oh, they're complaining. now i can quit.")
good pups

Postby surly » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:04 am

but there were consequences
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby good pups » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:08 am

surly wrote:but there were consequences

the consequence was that stakeout was removed, but we thought the extent to which the rule was broken was greater than the removal of one person made up for

not that something else should or could have been done, but the consequences weren't very satisfying for us
good pups

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:10 am

Props should be given to inspectorhound. His aim was true, and his life was cut too short.
The Unblinking Eye

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:11 am

additionally, he tried to get me lynched after he died :|
Last edited by mikey on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey
Voldemort

Postby good pups » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:11 am

it's all good and the game was all really fun and funny, that's just where our minds were/what happened from our perspective. or at least from mine.
good pups

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:13 am

and there are no consequences of cheating while you're dead. except maybe getting in to allstars?
mikey
Voldemort

Postby good pups » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:14 am

you are a terrifying demon to wolves mikey, probably the most terrifying we encountered. that was scary as shit at the end.
good pups

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:16 am

thanks gp

one day i wont be a villager and it will be a totally different game
mikey
Voldemort

Postby Jarl Skeletal » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:21 am

mikey wrote:i think the book club's attempt at insularity is also why it was particularly hard for no one to trust it. only the book club knew who was in the book club and no one else knew that they should trust the book club and anyone that was interested in providing information to them but was not verifiable was summarily rebuffed, which in turn leads to a bunch of villagers who are open to finding someone to trust with their votes.

i'm not sure if those words made sense, but what i'm trying to say is that this game involves letting the town know how to vote, and if you don't trust anyone not even a little bit, it will be hard to convince them to vote with you

We all took different approaches to the game to try to make sure some of us survived. Stakeout was out trying to shake things loose, I kept up a presence in the thread but didn't do anything too big, and ampersand kept to voting. But behind the scenes we all knew what was going on and what to do if one person died. We even set up codes so that if one did die we could verify the medium. We played a pretty paranoid game so we had a good laugh in book club chat when we were accused of having a leak in our circle.

So, our initial plan was to gather info and give it out to people we trusted to a degree so that it would get out in the open for discussion there. We didn't really want to do the whole "Kill X because we say so" if we could avoid it but the way the game played out that's what ended up happening. Because of the way the game was set up it was really really hard to trust anyone (this made it pretty fun too). Jugdish and Iambic didn't even really get in until the end. We reached out to a few people early on but we didn't like how things went, then with the specials getting killed and just having jugdish we closed up pretty quickly. But, to get back to your initial point, it was a tough position and we could have played it a few different ways but it ended up working in the end so I'm happy with how it went
greasefire wrote::

pablito wrote:im never dtf and always keep it covered
Jarl Skeletal

Postby can't » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:30 am

stakeout wrote:
surly wrote:but there were consequences

Absolutely and it was selfish of me to blow myself out of the water but I had become something I never wanted to become and had successfully not become in previous games so I just blew it

I will say knowing what info you had when you were silenced that I can better understand your impatience. I can also understand why sleigh would allow you to have your moment. We were going to blackmail you until we couldn't because we knew you would immediately call out the fake medium which would out the fake doc as well. If we had kept you quiet, things were actually looking really good for us. Which was kind of amazing. Good pups can tell you. The pre-gloaming wolf squad were a damn force to be reckoned with. It was awesome.

For example: werd had just convinced vanner that he was both true detective (anonymously) and doctor. Not because vanner was gullible either. It was because werd was unnaturally convincing and things kept falling into place really well. It was seriously amazing conspiring with these guys. All of em. Thanks sleigh!!! Go get em in rocks v turtles.

#WOLFCORP
can't
ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games