WW#20: Tinker, Tailor, Werewolf, Spy - WOLFPACK WINS

There are worse ways to spend the time, but not many.

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 4:02 pm

The year is 1973. Tensions between the Western powers and the Soviet Union have reached new heights as rumors of a new American superweapon, known only as “Project T.O.M.A.T.O.,” have begun to pass between the various intelligence agencies. Though its true nature is unknown to even the American spooks, it is believed that Project T.O.M.A.T.O. could shift the balance of power in the Cold War toward the United States. The Politburo is not pleased.

The tiny, European principality of Pisstonia lies on the rough border between East and West, and serves as the headquarters for Project T.O.M.A.T.O. In order to protect this valuable asset, the CIA has deployed a special sub-directorate of its most talented counterintelligence agents. They operate in total secret, without Congressional oversight, and have been given extreme latitude in how they conduct their operations. Known as THE STAR CHAMBER, these savvy spies will do everything they can to prevent Soviet agents from infiltrating Project T.O.M.A.T.O.

Not to be outdone, the KGB has also formed an all-star cell of undercover spies, intent on undermining the Star Chamber and seizing control of Project T.O.M.A.T.O. They speak English, they wear blue jeans, and they listen to “rock” and “roll.” Known as THE WOLFPACK, they’re skilled in the art of spy craft, and will use those skills to confuse, confound, and compromise their rivals.

The Rules

• Please use hpnww.slack.com for DMs, housekeeping chatter, etc. (Please include me in any secret chat channels)
• Sharing of Slack transcripts, screenshots, and anonymous emails forbidden by the Espionage Act of 1917
• Given that this is an espionage game, some things will not be as they appear, but savvy players can figure things out.
• Be friendly :)
• Trust No One

The Roles

The Star Chamber

Code Name: Canis Major (Aura Seer)
Night Action: Analyze [Target]
This senior analyst is looking for clues to their target’s true sympathies, and can determine whether they are loyal to the Western powers, or to Communism. Hope you know who won the 1956 World Series.

Code Name: Perseus (Bodyguard)
Day Action: Protect [Target]
Each day, “Perseus” may choose to protect a specific target from attack at night. They will sacrifice themselves to protect their charge. They can’t protect the same person two nights in a row, however.

Code Name: Orion (Hunter)
Event: Upon death, Kill [Target]
Though agent Orion is now just a desk-riding analyst, they have a history in wetworks. They’re a trained killer—and if you try and take them down, they’ll try to take you with them.

Code Name: Ara (Masons)
Those code named Ara are mid-level analysts who were members of the same secret society at their prestigious college. The society is so secret that nobody knows what its name is. Nevertheless, if you say the name, they’ll kill you!

Code Name: Sagittarius
Day Action: Jam [##]
Each day, agent Sagittarius will tune in a two-digit frequency on their radio. If the Lincolnshire Poacher chooses any of these numbers for their transmission at night, they will not reach the Wolfpack.

Code Name: Circinus (Lookout)
Day Action: Surveille [Target]
Each night, agent Circinus may surveille another player’s quarters to observe the goings-on, and maybe rummage around in their belongings.

Code Name: Canis Minor (Apprentice Seer)
Event: Becomes Canis Major or Canem upon incumbent’s death.
This junior analyst is learning the ropes, and will assume a Senior Analyst’s duties upon their death.

Code Name: Monoceros (Lycan)
This iconoclastic agent marches to the beat of his own drummer. For example, he wears a two-button suit jacket instead of the regulation three-button jacket. His unusual behavior can lead more junior analysts to mistake him for an enemy sympathizer; only the most seasoned analysts can see he is truly loyal. Will aura scan as Communist.

Code Name: Chamaeleon (Cursed)
There’s something odd about this fellow. Something about the way they walk… their… manner, or their… lifestyle. They’re different. This difference has been an obstacle to their advancement in the Star Chamber, and anger over these prejudices will lead them to switch sides if targeted by the Wolfpack.

Code Name: Regulus (Prince/Bloody Mary)
This agent’s father is a powerful general, and if the Star Chamber attempts to execute Regulus, his father will use his influence to bail him out and end the career of an important member of the Chamber. If he’s assassinated by the Wolfpack, the general will impulsively launch an airstrike that could be disastrous.

Code Name: Aquila (Diseased)
Agent Aquila loves their country and won’t go down without a fight. In a fierce struggle, they’ll wound the Wolfpack so badly they’ll be unable to launch an operation the following night.

Code Name: Canis Canem (False Seer)
Night Action: Analyze [Target]
This high-level analyst has earned a lot of respect in the Star Chamber, but vanity has led them to cut corners in their quest for status. They’ve hooked up with some bad sources, and are too proud to admit to themselves that their information is bad. Canis Canem thinks they’re Canis Major, and there’s no way to tell them apart. If Canis Canem happens to scan the real Canis Major, or vice versa, this will trigger a Bureaucratic Nightmare.

The Manchurian Candidate
This poor sap thinks they are a run-of-the-mill analyst, but they actually have a dark side. Unbeknownst to them, they were once kidnapped and programmed by Soviet scientists to respond to a particular trigger. Whoever discovers the trigger can control all that they do and all that they say. God only knows it’s not what they would choose to do, but resistance to the programming will result in brain damage and death. Aura scans as Communist after triggering, Western before.

Code Name: Lepus (Villager)
These are just plain old junior analysts, trying to make it through the day.

The Wolfpack

Code Name: Grey Wolf (Brutal Wolf)
Event: Upon death, Kill [Target]
This wizened old spy has seen their share of action and won't go down easy. In the event that the Brutal Wolf is killed by the Star Chamber, they will take another player to the grave with them.

Code Name: Rasputin (Sorcerer)
Night Action: Scry [Target]
This guy doesn’t exactly act like a regular spy. He claims to possess mystical powers that he can use to determine the true nature of his targets. He’s a bit of a recluse, so he won’t be linked up with the Wolfpack at first. Finding them is his first challenge. The Western powers shouldn’t laugh off his mystical claims—it might come back to haunt them.

The Photographer
Day Action: Photograph [Target]
Armed with a telephoto lens, the Photographer can watch a target each night to see who visits them, and might be able to snag some incriminating evidence that can be used as leverage.

The Forger
Day Action: Forge [Target]
An expert in identity documents and design, the Forger can fake an identity for any target for one night. They cannot repeat targets on consecutive nights. The forged documents will hide the target’s true nature from any investigating analysts.

Code Name: The Lincolnshire Poacher (Minion)
Night Action: Transmit [#####]
Each day, the Lincolnshire Poacher fires up his secret, shortwave radio to transmit five numbers (0-9) to the Wolfpack. They are not allowed to contact one another directly, as the Poacher is too close to the inner sanctum of the Star Chamber to risk blowing their cover.

Code Name: Volkov (Wolf)
These are just regular spies, trying to work their way up the ladder of the Wolfpack.

Code Name: White Wolf (Wolf Cub)
The White Wolf is new to the Wolfpack, and the cell has a soft spot for them. This young spy has lots of potential, but is still a little green. If the Star Chamber executes the White Wolf, the Wolfpack will be so angry that they will strike twice the following night. Will aura scan as Communist.

Unaligned

The Honeypot (Hoodlum)
Day Action: Seduce [Target]
Using their masculine and/or feminine wiles, the Honeypot chooses a player in the day to be seduced that night and gains control over their vote in the next day phase. Failure to comply will result in exposure and the end of one’s career. The Honeypot will choose two players who must die for him/her to win. Will aura scan as good.

The Merry Prankster (Tanner)
This poor soul was, without their consent, enrolled in the CIA's MKULTRA program. They experienced severe psychic torture and abuse. It was supposed to turn them into the perfect operative. Instead, it scrambled their brain. The Merry Prankster believes this whole thing is a big joke, and that it's not a real spy operation but actually a drug-induced hallucination. And the only way to end the entire hallucination, they believe, is to die in it. The Merry Prankster will do whatever they can to bring about that result so they can get back to reality. It's crazy to think that this is all an illusion... right?

Items

The Encrypted Dossier
What’s the deal with this dossier? It’s encrypted, so who knows? You cantry to decrypt it, but the information you get from it (and whether it’s accurate or not) depends on your skill level. It’s probably a good idea to cross reference your findings!

The Aluminum Attaché Case
What’s in this thing? Who knows? You probably shouldn’t be hanging on to it for too long. I guess you could open it, but you’re taking a gamble on what’s inside.

Details

In the day phase, when you want to vote to execute a wolf, do this!

Code: Select all
[b][color=#FF0000]Wolf Name[/color][/b]

If you want to rescind that vote, do this!

Code: Select all
[b][color=#008000]Name of Person Who's Actually Innocent[/color][/b]

:gapearth:
Last edited by universe on Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 28 times in total.
universe
dad

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Players
laserblast
palmer eldrich
vhbalanced
big cat
ecto
phillipe
geoff
milk
stakeout
ankh
ampersand
tes
catullus
narc blossom
kaputt
kit fox
metersk
duke
inspectorhound
black drum
capital
fox
Efreet
Casimir
Separator
Last edited by universe on Fri May 13, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
universe
dad

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun May 08, 2016 4:43 pm

yeah
palmer eldritch

Postby fuckles » Sun May 08, 2016 4:44 pm

is this the radiohead-themed game we've all been waiting for
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby fuckles » Sun May 08, 2016 4:45 pm

oh i see laserblast has it covered
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 4:46 pm

fuckles wrote:is this the radiohead-themed game we've all been waiting for

It's called riding a trend. It's good marketing.
universe
dad

Postby VHB » Sun May 08, 2016 4:46 pm

absolutely in.
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god
VHB
VHS

Postby big cat » Sun May 08, 2016 4:51 pm

me too
big cat

Postby ecto » Sun May 08, 2016 4:51 pm

In baby
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto
ok

Postby big cat » Sun May 08, 2016 4:51 pm

***deep cut
big cat

Postby john plainman » Sun May 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Hey I wanna play
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Geoff » Sun May 08, 2016 5:22 pm

yes I wil ltry
Geoff
ok

Postby Milk » Sun May 08, 2016 5:44 pm

if i've been forgiven for my first and only game, i'd like to join.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby VHB » Sun May 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Get on in Milk.
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god
VHB
VHS

Postby iambic » Sun May 08, 2016 5:45 pm

that is a Lot of Roles
iambic

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun May 08, 2016 5:46 pm

I've seen more
palmer eldritch

Postby werd » Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 pm

this game is balanced towards team good

I'm not playing
night moves wrote:I will not be made fun of by someone who watches animes

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck
werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 6:13 pm

werd wrote:this game is balanced towards team good

I'm not playing

I'm open to rebalancing suggestions, as I'm a newbie.
universe
dad

Postby ecto » Sun May 08, 2016 6:42 pm

universe wrote:
werd wrote:this game is balanced towards team good

I'm not playing

I'm open to rebalancing suggestions, as I'm a newbie.

there should only be one working seer for tg, and their power should be binary. none should have the power to see exact roles
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
ecto
ok

Postby ecto » Sun May 08, 2016 6:43 pm

and there should be no lone wolf
ecto
ok

Postby ecto » Sun May 08, 2016 6:45 pm

sagittarius will also jam transmissions most of the time
ecto
ok

Postby Ankh » Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 pm

very in
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 pm

laserblast wrote:agreed with both of those

you should probably throw in an extra wolf or two given that we'll be on Slack, which makes it exceptionally hard to be a wolf. alternately, or in addition, put a blanket ban on requesting or sharing Slack transcripts either publicly or privately

Yeah I actually meant to ban transcript postings. Will add.
universe
dad

Postby werd » Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 pm

I wasn't trying to be rude, I can't play regardless of the balance it looks like a lot of fun and if I had the time I would play

ecto's recs would be good to implement

another way to balance out super strong seers like that is create more false positives, the way we play its too easy for seers to cabal up after a scan or two
night moves wrote:I will not be made fun of by someone who watches animes

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck
werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby Ampersand » Sun May 08, 2016 7:03 pm

IN
Ampersand

Postby The Emperor's Son » Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 pm

laserblast wrote:agreed with both of those

you should probably throw in an extra wolf or two given that we'll be on Slack, which makes it exceptionally hard to be a wolf. alternately, or in addition, put a blanket ban on requesting or sharing Slack transcripts either publicly or privately

why is it hard to be a wolf on slack?
The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 pm

i can start after next monday
The Emperor's Son

Postby Catullus » Sun May 08, 2016 7:12 pm

In!
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Catullus wrote:In!

Hey sorry about that post in the teacher thread. I didn't mean it to come off that way and regret making people feel like I was being dismissive. It was a poorly phrased thought, made hastily.
universe
dad

Postby universe » Sun May 08, 2016 7:35 pm

OK, so possible amendments:
* No sharing transcripts
* Make aura seer Canis Major, nix full seer.

What's the argument for nixing lone wolf? Just too much to worry about for the wolves?
universe
dad

Next

Return to Board Games