comedy podcast thread

Jesus christ you have to be kidding me.

Postby pinkerton » Mon May 14, 2012 3:46 pm

HP did an entire ad campaign around the song.

Comedy Bang Bang this week was incredible. I love Jordan Peele.
pinkerton

Re: comedy podcast thread

Postby hiddenicon » Mon May 14, 2012 3:59 pm

grammatron wrote:It was in a Volkswagen commercial too.

voted the official rock song of oklahoma a few years back, though their state congress blocked it because of the bands drug use. the day after it was blocked, the governor issued an executive order granting the song its title anyways.
hiddenicon

Postby badhat » Tue May 15, 2012 3:45 pm

tina fey nerdist was great.

the whole section talking about being frustrated that 30rock isnt of-the-moment anymore was really interesting and kinda a bummer.

i still have a lot of respect for her even if im not really particularly into the show anymore.

seems like shes even gettin close to needing a change.
as long as there is evil to be fought, we should get in our robots.
badhat

Postby Kuboaa » Tue May 15, 2012 4:44 pm

the email about fingering someone's mom and Marc's subsequent monologue about it was great on the new live WTF
Kuboaa

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Phil Hendrie on the Mental Illness Happy Hour was a really good listen
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby blurst of times » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 pm

do people listen to you made it weird? i started recently, and the last few have been really good. the ones with harris wittels and chelsea peretti were especially fun.

loved the 'clip show' they did with peretti and the increasingly forced name-drops
blurst of times

Postby buriedinspace » Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 pm

blurst of times wrote:do people listen to you made it weird? i started recently, and the last few have been really good. the ones with harris wittels and chelsea peretti were especially fun.

loved the 'clip show' they did with peretti and the increasingly forced name-drops

I think it's actually my favorite of the WTF-ish podcasts out there at the moment, but partially just because I was bored with WTF at a certain point. But Pete's weird obsession with religion and sex (and occasionally drugs) makes for mostly really interesting shows. I loved the Myq Kaplan episode perhaps most of all. And the Nikki Glasser episode is interestingly uncomfortable (in a vaguely similar way to the Maria Bamford WTF)
buriedinspace

Postby black mamba » Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 am

jewels wrote:I think I've mentioned it a few times, but I've been really enjoying You Made it Weird. Like WTF with less pathos (for good and bad) and much shorter intros. He's clearly a huge fan of WTF, but has his own spin on it.

i'm listening to the dana gould one
is he always making really loud listening noises and laughing hysterically, killing all momentum of the conversation?
black mamba

Postby jewels » Wed May 16, 2012 12:43 am

sometimes that noises and laughter still get to me, but I kind of stopped noticing them after an episode or two.
Cronos wrote:I say tons of things to people IRL
jewels

Postby Kuboaa » Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 am

yeah I've tried You Made It Weird before and Pete Holmes' hyperactivity gets a little taxing in such large doses, I do love when him and Marc interact on each other's shows, it's the best annoying little brother, annoyed big brother relationships in comedy right now
Kuboaa

Postby universe » Wed May 16, 2012 2:09 am

badhat wrote:tina fey nerdist was great.

the whole section talking about being frustrated that 30rock isnt of-the-moment anymore was really interesting and kinda a bummer.

i still have a lot of respect for her even if im not really particularly into the show anymore.

Every time I listen to Nerdist I wish they were better interviewers. I always feel like they leave things unexplored because they don't know how to ask a question and they often sound unprepared, and then when something does get started, they joke all over it and kill it. It's not bad, and I've heard some good ones, but compared to Maron, it's pretty weak.
universe
our rachel maddow

Postby ssa » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 am

Holy shit @ the 'Mental Illness Happy Hour' interview with Dr. Jessica Zucker.
ssa

Postby badhat » Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 am

universe wrote:
badhat wrote:tina fey nerdist was great.

Every time I listen to Nerdist I wish they were better interviewers. I always feel like they leave things unexplored because they don't know how to ask a question and they often sound unprepared, and then when something does get started, they joke all over it and kill it. It's not bad, and I've heard some good ones, but compared to Maron, it's pretty weak.

yeah youre absolutely right.

in fact, at this point, compared to jesse thorn he's pretty weak

thorns moshe kasher a few months ago was one of the best comedian interviews i;ve heard in a long time. and his newhart was really good too.

very surprising. think having a producer and editor has done good things for him.
badhat

Postby badhat » Wed May 16, 2012 4:16 am

speaking of WTF though, holy shit lorraine newman is just too awesome to be real
badhat

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 am

shake some action wrote:Holy shit @ the 'Mental Illness Happy Hour' interview with Dr. Jessica Zucker.

Yeah, that was an intense episode
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby badhat » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

fuck yes

badhat

Postby Durham » Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 am

Danny McBride episode is a lot of fun
Durham

Postby Nacho Novo » Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 am

Durham wrote:Danny McBride episode is a lot of fun

It was nice to hear Marc laugh as much as he did, you can tell he enjoyed it.
Nacho Novo

Postby jewels » Fri May 18, 2012 11:13 am

Cronos wrote:I say tons of things to people IRL
jewels

Postby Wayne Chrebet » Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Is Bob Ducca dead?
ImageImageImageImage
Wayne Chrebet

Postby Fullscreen » Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 am

going to a taping of doug loves movies tomorrow! don't have a sign to bring or anything, though.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby Petty » Sun May 20, 2012 11:17 am

DLM turned me off of Doug Benson for some reason. He's a little too smarmy on it and it makes me feel like he's probably a douche irl. Will still listen if he's got good guests though.
Sorry if that seems harsh mate but its probably just my dry British wit (I'm English).
Petty

Postby thom browne » Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

I've definitely got that feeling as well. I haven't actively listened to DLM in like six months.
thom browne

Postby Cronos » Sun May 20, 2012 5:16 pm

He seemed like kind of a douche in super high me. I think its his character
IT like it a Crime these Days jus to be Retarded....
Jeremy wrote:I seriously have trouble understanding how so many people who rely entirely on affectation have so little self-awareness.
Cronos

Location: outside the portal to hell with a big ass gun and a pack of bubblegum

Postby badhat » Sun May 20, 2012 5:42 pm

TomServo wrote:DLM turned me off of Doug Benson for some reason. He's a little too smarmy on it and it makes me feel like he's probably a douche irl. Will still listen if he's got good guests though.

yeah this is where i fall.

i subscribe just to see who the guests are.

when theyre good (edgar wright or PFT or any of the parks and recs folk etc) its an amazing show but when its just his little C list twerp posse and theyre all stoned its totally unbearable.
badhat

Postby buriedinspace » Sun May 20, 2012 6:32 pm

I actually only like Doug on DLM. His stand up is kind of dreadful. But yeah - I generally only listen when there are people I like on and especially only when there is multiple people I like on. His ultra-annoyed 'you're derailing the show!' banter with Jeff Garlin/Pete Holmes/TJ Miller tends to be amusing but also make him definitely come off as an asshole. But I kind of think it's a shtick at this point, so I mind a little less.
buriedinspace

Postby miguel » Mon May 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Have not listened yet, but this week's CBB has Mantzoukas, Alison Brie, and Odenkirk as Saul Goodman. Sounds promising.
miguel

Postby pinkerton » Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 pm

It is pretty excellent so far, Brie is holding her own and Saul Goodman is hilarious of course. I made myself stop halfway through so I could enjoy the rest while I'm not at work.
pinkerton

Postby neuartillery » Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm

DLM wore out its formula. Too many episodes with subpar guests. Can't remember the last time I listened to one.
neuartillery

Postby badhat » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 pm

just recently the bob goldthwait and jimmy pardo one was good.
badhat

PreviousNext

Return to Free-for-all