what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby atomicbombshell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:20 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby pablito » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Seamus wrote:Not sure if this was widely read here, but I got through this over the last few days. I thought it was really great for the most part and full of raw honesty and beautiful sentences. Occasionally it was bad. Or at least I found a lot of my most hated literature tropes buried between the great stuff. Anyway, good read, recommended.

This is not your mother's memoir. In The Chronology of Water, Lidia Yuknavitch expertly moves the reader through issues of gender, sexuality, violence, and the family from the point of view of a lifelong swimmer turned artist. In writing that explores the nature of memoir itself, her story traces the effect of extreme grief on a young woman's developing sexuality that some define as untraditional because of her attraction to both men and women. Her emergence as a writer evolves at the same time and takes the narrator on a journey of addiction, self-destruction, and ultimately survival that finally comes in the shape of love and motherhood.

Heh, you ol horndog you! This ain't a thread for Tijuana Bibles! Now SCRAM!
Image Image
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby vivian darkbloom » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:33 pm

I couldn't get through that Yuknavitch, super overwrought prose
vivian darkbloom

Postby number none » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 pm

bazooka wrote:what are some good "page turners"? i used to do this thing where i'd read some lite fiction to switch my brain into reading mode, before moving onto whatever. my best reading was done during this period, and i want to get back into it. but yeah any tips for books that are easy to burn through where you want to know what happens next?

Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series. I burned through all six books in like a two-week period a couple of months ago

Kindred is also a good rec
number none

Postby Seamus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

pablito wrote:
Seamus wrote:Not sure if this was widely read here, but I got through this over the last few days. I thought it was really great for the most part and full of raw honesty and beautiful sentences. Occasionally it was bad. Or at least I found a lot of my most hated literature tropes buried between the great stuff. Anyway, good read, recommended.

This is not your mother's memoir. In The Chronology of Water, Lidia Yuknavitch expertly moves the reader through issues of gender, sexuality, violence, and the family from the point of view of a lifelong swimmer turned artist. In writing that explores the nature of memoir itself, her story traces the effect of extreme grief on a young woman's developing sexuality that some define as untraditional because of her attraction to both men and women. Her emergence as a writer evolves at the same time and takes the narrator on a journey of addiction, self-destruction, and ultimately survival that finally comes in the shape of love and motherhood.

Heh, you ol horndog you! This ain't a thread for Tijuana Bibles! Now SCRAM!

:ahuh:
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.
Seamus

Postby Smarmy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Enjoyed

Just got:

Seven Swans is still pretty fantastic though and I'm an atheist. sad.gif
Smarmy

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm

I am blasssting through 2666 because it's v.good.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby goofjan grievens » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm

halfway through the Todd Barry book. It's really great.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan grievens

Postby alaska » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:53 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I am blasssting through 2666 because it's v.good.

Yeah it's honestly wild how good it is
alaska
ride.

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 pm

yeah, i'm in total awe of certain passages - they just stick with you
and i've read a lot of Bolaño before this, so it's that much more surprising
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby walt whitman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm

yeah i wish everything bolano did was good/rewarding as 2666.
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 pm

currently reading these things

walt whitman

Postby number none » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:23 am

don't neglect the transcript of Warhol and Burroughs first meeting in the appendices of the Bockris book. It's a scream
number none

Postby sadville » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 am

probs gonna teach this next year
a dong is
sadville

Postby walt whitman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

number none wrote:don't neglect the transcript of Warhol and Burroughs first meeting in the appendices of the Bockris book. It's a scream

oh my goodness, yes
the book is a treasure trove of unbelievable anecdotes and delicious quotations by factory denizens. i started out of order, going straight to the middle section of the book, in the mid sixties when warhol started making films which is when warhol got v evil, and literally every page is andy sucked this or that dick off, a horse kicked a dude in the head, everyone is on amphetamines making fun of brigid polk's weight problems, warhol is lamenting the LSD-induced death of a friend because they weren't there to film his suicide...

somebody upthread was asking about "page-turners"; the nihilistic soap opera that was warhol's life makes for p addictive reading !
walt whitman

Postby bazooka » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 am

^^that was me... i'll just repeat my request for another page. really loving all the ideas so far! thanks everyone :)

what are some good "page turners"? i used to do this thing where i'd read some lite fiction to switch my brain into reading mode, before moving onto whatever. my best reading was done during this period, and i want to get back into it. but yeah any tips for books that are easy to burn through where you want to know what happens next?
bazooka

Postby Seamus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm

i'll add to what i put previously with lost city of z, devil in the white city, people who eat darkness, all hpn certified
Seamus

Postby trigross » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 pm

I have before and will always recc Lonesome Dove because I love that dang book

anyway, I'm reading Master and Margarita for the first time since college. It's great, obv
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Lonesome Dove is terrific and fits the page-turner bill, but also has 800 pages in need of turning. (If that matters to you, bazooka.)
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm

It's a very breezy 800 pages, anyway.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Seamus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Can you read Lonesome Dove independent of the other books in the series? It got published first, right?
Seamus

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Yes, you can.
Eyeball Kid

Postby bazooka » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Lonesome Dove is terrific and fits the page-turner bill, but also has 800 pages in need of turning. (If that matters to you, bazooka.)

this is good to know. i don't think length is an issue for me. longer stuff actually appeals in some ways.
bazooka

Postby the upland trout » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Reading and really enjoying this: Image

What are some other good books of nature writing? I'm designing an environmental ethics course and a philosophy of nature course, but most of what I know is more academic, so I'm just now exploring this stuff.
the upland trout

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm

pretty much everything John McPhee has done. Edward Abbey also. H is for Hawk by Helen Mcdonald really blew me away too; kind of a combination of memoir and nature writing.
Dead_Wizard

Postby atomicbombshell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

the upland trout wrote:What are some other good books of nature writing? I'm designing an environmental ethics course and a philosophy of nature course, but most of what I know is more academic, so I'm just now exploring this stuff.

Image Image

Image Image
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby atomicbombshell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm

+1 for John McPhee
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm

like this book ruled so hard:

then I looked the dude up who he talks about and he's still at it, making bark canoes.
Dead_Wizard

Postby number none » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:07 pm

The Voyage of the Beagle!
number none

Postby number none » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

also Peter Matthiessen's The Snow Leopard
number none

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All