You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Where do you get all this beef, Meg?

You see my cows up front?

...no
Last edited by Poptone on Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Meg's gravy is famous. It's practically a food group.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Last edited by Poptone on Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Poptone
cat fan

Postby cooly » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm

i used to hate these movies more than i do now.

it still bothers me that marvel & star wars basically have a monopoly on our collective imagination as applied to fantasy / sci-fi, and i wish there were different projects with deeper kinds of world-building (particularly ones that are less concerned with fueling nostalgia and pumping out the same worlds and characters over and over), but i don't really mind throwing on winter soldier, ant-man, etc. while i'm chilling on the couch with my laptop. guardians of the galaxy is the only franchise that actively annoys me because i don't like the sense of humor in those movies and it's really shoved down your throat.

i think it would be a shame if 50 years from now there were still movies about luke skywalker's grandson and spiderman, and i think that sort of thing is pretty likely because of money, but i guess these movies are worse for their implications than they are in themselves, to me.

i've also gotten better about having a "live and let live" attitude towards these things in general
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm

spidey's been around since 1962; he's not going away anytime soon.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby cooly » Wed May 16, 2018 12:32 pm

i also feel like a part of the marvel & star wars problem is that the movies are so tonally similar; even the ones that are supposed to be dark or gritty will have a wisecracking raccoon or something.

i was thinking the other day about how i'm not really into the visual direction of these movies and it made me remember how die nibelungen is probably my favorite fantasy film, largely because of the images in it

i don't think anything in the MCU or star wars (at least 2018 star wars) can really capture the awe and weight of these images, which is something i really want from fantasy and science fiction, and it's partly because those franchises are both more concerned with being fun and light, so that even if they had the same cinematographic eye the images wouldn't fit.

but this isn't really meant to be a knock on those movies as "i wish hollywood would fund darker and slower fantasy / sci-fi projects instead of pouring everything into these lighter action movies. spiderman: homecoming is probably my favorite of the marvel movies; my complaint really isn't that i wish the marvel movies were entirely different movies. i don't love the LotR movies, but they're a good example of how a big budget hollywood film can have some of the tonal weight that i'm talking about, and i don't see why the franchises can't experiment more with having heavier entries.
cooly

Postby cooly » Wed May 16, 2018 12:36 pm

i think my favorite moment of the more recent star wars movies is when rey goes spelunking in the star destroyer. i would've been down for a whole movie of her quietly exploring ruins like that
cooly

Postby bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

cooly wrote:i also feel like a part of the marvel & star wars problem is that the movies are so tonally similar

yes but also these movies are kinda like someone without much of anything to say who has unlimited VSTs making an album that tries to have a finger in every possible genre
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby chandler » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

+1 to both of cooly's posts

i want to add that ultimately it's a good thing that these movies are being made, even if hollywood overdoes it and that in isolation most of the movies are sort of meh. 25 years ago who would have thought that stuff like lotr, harry potter, game of thrones, and comic book movies would dominate pop culture. the sentiment some have expressed that nerd culture becoming pop culture is somehow a net negative is bizarre to me...if you want more obscure/weird/fantastical ideas to see the light of day via whatever medium, these movies being popular feels like a necessary precursor
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby spix et chicho » Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm

bongo wrote:
cooly wrote:i also feel like a part of the marvel & star wars problem is that the movies are so tonally similar

yes but also these movies are kinda like someone without much of anything to say who has unlimited VSTs making an album that tries to have a finger in every possible genre

sounds sick
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby Sobieski » Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 pm

cooly wrote:.

i was thinking the other day about how i'm not really into the visual direction of these movies and it made me remember how die nibelungen is probably my favorite fantasy film, largely because of the images in it

That’s what happens if you study too much German Philology
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

love variations on a theme
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

hey wait a minute let's not impugn die nibelungen
Poptone
cat fan

Postby light rail coyote » Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm

chandler wrote:+1 to both of cooly's posts

i want to add that ultimately it's a good thing that these movies are being made, even if hollywood overdoes it and that in isolation most of the movies are sort of meh. 25 years ago who would have thought that stuff like lotr, harry potter, game of thrones, and comic book movies would dominate pop culture. the sentiment some have expressed that nerd culture becoming pop culture is somehow a net negative is bizarre to me...if you want more obscure/weird/fantastical ideas to see the light of day via whatever medium, these movies being popular feels like a necessary precursor

I probably have a different orientation towards this stuff, but I've found that the ascent of nerd culture properties to have the opposite effect. It homogenizes filmmaking into these staid franchises that are mostly pretty conventional and crowds out stuff that's genuinely weird or interesting or challenging. nerd culture to me doesn't signify something that's smart or different, it signifies something that's heavily franchised, commodified, and mostly appeals to militant fandoms instead of being driven by creativity.

there's overlap, obviously, but for example I don't really associate something like twin peaks with "nerd culture" and most of the "nerd culture" people were the ones who reacted most negatively to the return's refusal to dig in to fanservice and nostalgia appeals. the collision of nerd culture and "art" wouldn't be a superhero movie, it'd be LOST, and LOST's worst tendencies are almost all results of the show embracing the worst elements of the comic con fanbase
light rail coyote

Postby Sobieski » Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Poptone wrote:hey wait a minute let's not impugn die nibelungen

I’m just busting cooly a little, fritz lang is one of the greats tho
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby chandler » Wed May 16, 2018 1:45 pm

i guess i don't understand how someone could say interesting things are being crowded out when you look at the shows that hbo/netflix/amazon/etc. are producing and throwing tons of $ at

stuff like dark, stranger things, black mirror, westworld, handmaiden's tale would never be made if it weren't for the success of the marvel movies, imo
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby light rail coyote » Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

and out of those things, handmaid's tale is the only one that's actually interesting and it's based on an actual book and not comics or some nerdgasm franchise or nostalgia trip
light rail coyote

Postby chandler » Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

ok? i think a lot of people would disagree about what is or isn't interesting in that list though
chandler

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm

its def only handmaid's tale and clumping that with black mirror is just fdsfmklsgdfgfd
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Black Mirror has been sporadically great

i know it's become a punchline and last season whiffed, *hard*, but it's silly to completely write it off.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby chandler » Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

dark plays with temporal concepts and quantum physics in a way that is totally novel and would be absurd to pitch to producers 20 years ago
chandler

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 2:10 pm

STOP. WHINING. ABOUT. FRANCHISES. AND. SEQUELS like it's some new insidious thing oh my god how many times have we been over this.

fucking jonathan swift wrote sequels to Gulliver's Travels

Der Golem (German: Der Golem, shown in the USA, as The Monster of Fate) is a 1915 German silent horror partially lost film, written and directed by Paul Wegener and Henrik Galeen. It is inspired by ancient Jewish legend. It is the first of a trilogy by Wegener, followed by The Golem and the Dancing Girl (1917) and The Golem: How He Came into the World (1920). David Brooks, writing as a columnist for Minnesota Daily, said the film "deals with the tragic issues in life."

ImageImage

An Hour Before Dawn is a lost[1] 1913 silent film detective drama directed by J. Searle Dawley and starring Laura Sawyer and House Peters. It was the fifth of six “Kate Kirby's Cases" detective stories made in 1913, the second produced by the Famous Players Film Company after Dawley and Sawyer left Edison for Famous Players[2].

Kate Kirby's cases
The Diamond Crown. (Edison – 1913)
On the Broad Stairway. (Edison – 1913)
The Substitute Stenographer. (Edison – 1913)
Chelsea 7750. (Famous Players - 1913)
An Hour Before Dawn. (Famous Players - 1913)
The Port of Doom. (Famous Players - 1913)

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby spix et chicho » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm

cooly's post is well-intentioned but I can't help but lol at the idea of bringing Die Nibelungen up in this thread. it's like saying you read Ready Player One and it made you wistful for HG Wells.
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby trouble » Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm

fuck jonathan swift
trouble
ride.

Postby light rail coyote » Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm

just because sequels aren't a new concept doesn't mean that the most recent iteration of the idea isn't uniquely annoying or doesn't have specific qualities worthy of critique
light rail coyote

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm

yeah dude that FUCKIN' SELL-OUT

way to milk the concept for everything it's worth, mr. master satirist.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby internetfriend » Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm

well, i for one am fully convinced that movie posters exist
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby light rail coyote » Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

lol
light rail coyote

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

internetfriend wrote:well, i for one am fully convinced that movie posters exist

still on the fence about wikipedia quotes?
Poptone
cat fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....