how come we don't have a proper hiking thread?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby clouds » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 pm

i am a chronic overpacker, kitchen sink type guy. pretty common for me to take my 60l backpack on a day hike with more water than i will ever drink in a day, too many clothes, etc. it usually breaks 25+ lbs minimum.

i just bought this 10l patagonia running hydration pack. holds 2 liters hydration. got a 16oz soft flask that fits in the shoulder strap, so i will have 2.5 liters of water (will probs throw a sawyer squeeze filter in) i have paired down my emergency and first aid kit to bare bones. my rain shell and down puff jacket about fill it up.

wondering if i should have split the diff and got a 20l daypack but this may be good for me. i have to stop carrying things i don't need all the time. it'll be a good habit to get into for backpacking and traveling in general too.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/fore- ... 49505.html
clouds

Postby dusky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:09 pm

brent, that picture is beautiful and giving me warm fuzzies
dusky

Postby dvr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm

yeah if you can fit everything in it it i'd keep it. 2.5L water is great. i noticed there is no waist strap though, i don't use mine all the time but when i do i'm glad i have it. personally i don't think i'd buy a pack for hiking without one. i am looking for a running pack though- car keys, a liter or two of water, phone.

i use a small-ish marmot 'granite' pack for all my hikes (even 20+ miles) and usually carry a honking first aid kit but really all i make sure to always carry is:
-athletic tape
-benedryl
-waterproof fire
-knife
-phone (airplane mode or OFF. can't count the number of times i've run into people in emergencies that needed to borrow a phone cause theirs was out of battery)
-zinc sunscreen
-bandana or buff
-food/water
-1 extra sock
-headlamp (sometimes)
-puff layer: arc'teryx atom lt hoody

i don't often bring a rain shell, but i'm in the rockies where it's dry air. i'd probably carry one more often i was anywhere other than here or the southwest

so, i dunno, if you don't mind not having a waist strap sounds like it'd work great!
dvr

Postby dvr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:22 pm

big freaking storm last winter:

dvr

Postby clouds » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 pm

i forgot to mention i got it new on ebay for half list price! (stolen?)

yeah it has no waist strap, which would be nice for extra storage etc. it seems plenty secure without one tho. i usually clip a knife to my waist strap, or a tiny pelican case with my sony rx100 in there if i bring on my regular backpack. i did order a tiny 1l fanny pack today. kinda plan on sticking some snacks and glasses in there (i wear prescription eyeglasses/sunglasses so i always have an extra pair). it will be a nice option maybe to add to the tiny running pack.

i have in it now:

-emergency blanket
-emergency plastic poncho (weighs nothing/tiny)
-strike anywhere matches in case
-bic lighter
-tape
-benadryl
-immodium
-a couple gauze squares
-couple bandaids
-couple ibuprofen/excedrin
-signaling mirror

all the above fits in a 1qt ziploc. then:

-sock hat
-1pr socks
-marmot precip
-down puff vest (just decided this will probably do instead of puff jacket - smaller and lighter)

i can also ditch one both of those layers (rain, puff) depending on the hike. for example i will ditch the puff doing anything with lots of people/little risk of spending a cold night out.

no rain shell in the rockies? i guess you mostly just plan on getting back from dayhikes before afternoon? i usually do too but sometimes the afternoon monsoons hit early. it pours every afternoon in nm when we go every august. we're doing a long one in nm in a couple weeks that will have us below treeline by noonish, but not close to the car for a few more hours. i expect to get wet. i mean you'd probably dry out quickly most times in the summer but i am a baby/scared of getting wet and possibly getting cold.
clouds

Postby dvr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Oh yeah, half off that's a good deal.

Yeah if I get rained on I plan on drying out real quick. I also am not a fan of gore-tex/waterproof shoes - I don't think the waterproof benefits outweigh the extra time they take to dry. I do have some gore-tex boots I use for spring/fall when there's snow on the ground though.

I used to carry a trash bag with me, I need to put one of those back in my pack. Great for rain but I also used one once as a layer to add warmth (worn between my base layer and outer layer). I couldn't wear it for too long though cause I started sweating, but it worked well enough to get from the shade back into the sun. Also in my first aid kit I have a bunch of blue 1ft plastic streamers. I guess blue is the color that occurs least in nature, so easiest to spot from the air?
dvr

Postby clouds » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:35 am

interesting re: the blue. i have a blaze orange bandana (good for hiking in hunting season too) and a signal mirror. neither are bulky or heavy.

also recently got my dog a tiny led beacon for his collar at night. thinking of getting another for my pack. it has a flash mode thst is insanely attention grabbing. it's the size of a nickle.

i read books about search and rescue operations as often as I find them and it's nuts how often people aren't seen by nearby ground searchers or search planes/helicopters. or just not seen by other people out hiking/biking/hunting whatever. won't be me! ill look like a fuckin circus.
clouds

Postby clouds » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:45 am

also been thinking about a PLB. anyone have one?

i do a 3 day wilderness canoe trip (no cell service) most years with my dad and he is of heart attack age. would be good for me too, but that trip especially seems like reason for one. would not want to paddle him out down rapids solo.
clouds

Postby delgriffith » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:11 pm

delgriffith wrote:I leave on Wednesday for 4 nights on the Teton Crest Trail :D

Just finished this. Rocking in the Climber's Ranch tonight before we head back to New York tomorrow. It was so fucking great, one of the best experiences of my life, and I will post many pics when I'm back home. Also, hardest thing by far was keeping pack weight down. We each had the NPS issued bear canisters, which suck and are heavy and bulky. Add in some heavy layers/rain gear (the night at Sunset Lake in the Alaska Basin was sub-40 and we had rain at least briefly on 3 of the 4 days, and the packs really did drag us down on some of the big ascents.

But holy shit, what a beautiful and life-affirming hike. 10/10
delgriffith

Postby dvr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 pm

clouds wrote:also been thinking about a PLB. anyone have one?

i do a 3 day wilderness canoe trip (no cell service) most years with my dad and he is of heart attack age. would be good for me too, but that trip especially seems like reason for one. would not want to paddle him out down rapids solo.

I've really thought about getting one. I was on a hike with two friends this spring and I started feeling dizzy and anxious. I went slow, sat down, drank some water, nothing helped. I eventually told them I was walking back to the car (about 4 miles at that point, no cell service), I was feeling shitty enough I was hoped they would volunteer to walk back with me but not shitty enough to ask (they didn't volunteer).

I got about halfway back and suddenly had an immediate urge to take a massive dump. I ran up this hill, away from the creek, and let it go behind some bushes. Ginormous, hot, loud steamy stools. There wasn't time to dig a hole beforehand so I had to do that then roll the turds into it with rocks. Feeling better I went bounding back the trail to find my friends and tell them the story. Anyway, when I was wandering around anxious and nauseous I was thinking: I should have a SPOT beacon.
dvr

Postby powderfinger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:54 pm

my friends who are hiking the CDT this year have a non-food/water pack weight of about 12 pounds

they don't even have a headlamp

ultralight people are insane
powderfinger

Postby clouds » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 pm

backpacking without a headlamp sounds terrible but more power to them. mine weighs 3oz with batteries. i admire ultralight people but damn
clouds

Postby blackbetty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm an ultralight hiker. Also have a Spot beacon to assuage friends and family when I hike long and solo. Not going to push UL on anyone but I can help anyone looking to shed pack weight

Helped a stranger guide to horses down trail recently and one the older one suddenly died on the trail in my arms. I work in an ER and it was still one of the most horrifying things I've seen
blackbetty

Postby clouds » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 pm

the horse died?
clouds

Postby fresh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:09 am

what happened after the horse bit it?

ive got a dork ultralight friend but he still takes all the normal shit, he’s just out of shape and doesn’t want his bag to be heavy
"Proof that I am not an indie rock snob: I really don't like the Shins."
fresh

Postby blackbetty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 am

it was horrific, i dont think ive seen an animal really suffer like that. death spasms, evacuation of bowels, teeth barring and then rigor mortis

I tried closing its eye after (ive seen too many movies) but it just snapped back open

after I comforted the woman for a short while until someone else happened along and then ran down to alert the authorities. there were like 3 fires and they said they couldnt move it for awhile. also no motorized vehicles or machines allowed in that forest so the mind reels at how they got an animal that large and stiff miles out and thousands of feet down...
blackbetty

Postby delgriffith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am

OK as promised here are a few pics from my Teton Crest hike last week. We started at Rendezvous Mountain after taking the aerial tram up from Jackson Hole. Didn't get started until we had some waffles at the restaurant up there, so we actually hit the trail early afternoon for about 7 miles to camp (outside the park boundaries, in the Jedediah Smith Wilderness). This was a real adjustment period for all of us, both from the altitude (starting at 10,500ft after the tram) and the pack weight (those damn bear canisters, plus 4+ days of food, and an overly cautious amount of water). Saw a moose within the first couple hours (no good pictures on my phone, sorry) and mostly avoided the thunderstorms that were in the area:
We camped not far from Marion Lake, pictured above (still within the park). While we set up camp this curious deer came strolling through, very unphased by our presence:
Camp, first night:
Very windy up there that first night, although thankfully not too cold.

We got going pretty early the next morning, as the landscape really opened up on the Death Canyon Shelf: fewer trees, more fields of wildflowers, some beautiful cliff faces and unmelted snowpacks.

After the pass at Mt. Meek, we headed down the Sheep Steps and into the Alaska Basin, which did not disappoint.

Took one of the best breaks of the week down there by one of the small lakes before we hit our last ascent of the day up to Sunset Lake, which I think was one of the most beautiful spots I'll ever camp. Only downside was that it was absolutely freezing that night. Anyway, here's Sunset Lake as we ate dinner:

And in the morning while we waited for the sun to rise and warm us up:

Day 3 was probably our most consistently warm & sunny day, which was great as we hiked out of the Alaska Basin, past Hurricane Pass and into Cascade Canyon. A special shout out to 12 year old superstar dog Gus, who outpaced us at the end of the Hurricane Pass ascent (alongside his owner) and still had energy to play fetch at the top:

The awesome view from Hurricane Pass down into Cascade Canyon:

Down in the South Fork of the canyon:

And later in the afternoon, after a few hours of steady descent, a short ascent into the North Fork of Cascade Canyon as the backside of Grand Teton rose behind us:

We made great time that day, meaning we had a good few hours of beautiful sun to enjoy and the opportunity to take a dip in stream just below our campsite:

The only downside there ended up being the bug situation - the campsite was absolutely swarming with mosquitoes, far more than at any other spot we hit. Woke up in the morning (after probably my best night's sleep) and they were all gone, along with the sun:

We didn't mind, because the hardest portion of the trail was ahead of us that morning - heading up to Paintbrush Divide some 2,300ft above our campsite. The drizzle and cooler weather was actually pretty nice and it ended up clearing a little during our ascent to give us some views down the valley towards Grand Teton:

And when we reached the summit, the views were spectacular:

But there was another pretty bad weather system rolling in behind us, and the only ranger we saw on the entire trail hit the summit right around the time we were taking photos to tell us we should probably hightail it down the other side into Paintbrush Canyon before any lightning came through:

So we did - probably scrambling a little too fast for comfort while we heard thunder behind us, down some pretty gnarly scree slopes. We made it though:

Barely 20 minutes later and without any lightning strikes, it was blue skies again:

And high spirits! Because from that point on, it was nothing but downhill through Paintbrush Canyon on our way back down to 6,500ft and Leigh Lake:

I turned my phone off for the last stretch of lower Paintbrush Canyon, because once we got back below the tree line the views became a lot more limited and I was trying to preserve battery. But once we made it to Leigh Lake, we ended up abandoning our original plan of camping there that night in favour of picking up our cars and driving over to a campsite at Gros Ventre and picking up beer & pizza. I did manage to snap this final picture of the Teton Range as we celebrated:

5 bloody stars, the Teton Crest Trail rules.
delgriffith

Postby brent » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am

holy shit del that's amazing
brent

Postby viachicago » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

del, thats awesome. ive been wanting to do TCT for like 3-4 years but hoping to finally get it in next august. will probably be picking your brain come winter/spring
viachicago

Postby VHGisdead » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm

ugh del I want to be there
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby dvr » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm

thanks for the pictures/write-up.

that paintbrush divide snow crossing can be sketchy huh?
dvr

Postby new blood, old hat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Beautiful pics!
new blood, old hat
ok

Postby tea preacher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:19 pm

That provided some much needed escapism.

I miss mountains.
you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby dusky » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 am

wow. definitely bucket listed.
dusky

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 am

hell yeah del!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby joymonger » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

awesome! thanks for that, del!
joymonger

Postby delgriffith » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am

dvr wrote:thanks for the pictures/write-up.

that paintbrush divide snow crossing can be sketchy huh?

Yeah I think a few weeks earlier and we probably would have needed ice axes from the sounds of it. On the way down we saw some trail runners coming up and one of them mentioned there was a better path up that "nobody really knows about" but declined to elaborate (and it was irrelevant to us at that point anyway).

Saw lots of trail runners out there, especially on that final day. Probably more of them than other hikers to be honest.
delgriffith

Postby dvr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:48 pm

anyone wanna buy my marmot?

https://www.marmot.com/tungsten-1p/29160.html

tungsten 1-person tent. brand new, never been taken out of the stuff sack, still in plastic and rubberbanded together. i have two of them. great, great tent. i slept in it in some big wind and snow this spring and it worked so well i bought second. i haven't been camping as much as i expected and am going back to school so i need to sell some stuff. it's the green one. $100 including shipping
dvr

Postby galactagogue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:43 pm

dvr wrote:anyone wanna buy my marmot?

...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 pm

dvr wrote:anyone wanna buy my marmot?

https://www.marmot.com/tungsten-1p/29160.html

tungsten 1-person tent. brand new, never been taken out of the stuff sack, still in plastic and rubberbanded together. i have two of them. great, great tent. i slept in it in some big wind and snow this spring and it worked so well i bought second. i haven't been camping as much as i expected and am going back to school so i need to sell some stuff. it's the green one. $100 including shipping

in all seriousness tho, i would totally get that tent from you
...ive said too much
galactagogue

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....