Boardwalk Empire - HBO

Jesus christ you have to be kidding me.

Postby pierrot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:10 am

i took it to be more cautious than timid. he's always been a loyal follower type.
Mood: Image
pierrot

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 am

Timid? Al Capone did almost kill him last season and he is currently stuck between the Capone brothers who will kill him and o'bannon who will kill him and is on the run from the FBI. I mean it makes sense that he wouldn't be performing baptisms
Mechanical Birds wrote:I probably can't express verbally this as well as I actually understand it
Self Destructive Zone

Postby clown » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:18 am

Eli's son killed that dude with too much milk of magnesia? or was there some other inappropriate chemical he accidentally mixed in there?
clown

Postby lefthandshake » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:00 am

I rewatched the scene where they're stealing the chemicals, and while it looks like from the shape of the bottles that he grabs the stated ingredients (linoleic acid and magnesium hydroxide), it's not shown directly which bottles he actually takes. The bottle next to the linoleic acid has a poison symbol fwiw. His "I'm good at chemistry" comment from an earlier scene could mean that:

1. He made it correctly and it really is possible to shit yourself to death.
2. He's good at chemistry and made a different, deadly mixture on purpose (I don't think this fits with his character but I can't fathom the effects of boner-shaming).
3. He's actually not good at chemistry and either grabbed the wrong bottles in the dark or didn't remember the formula correctly.
4. The writers aren't good at chemistry.

I'm sure that I'm overthinking this and that there'll be an explanation next week though.
big pals with lucifer
lefthandshake

Postby clown » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:39 pm

I think #3 is most likely

but there is this:

Symptoms of an magnesium hydroxide overdose include nausea, vomiting, flushing, low blood pressure, a slow heartbeat, drowsiness, coma, and death.
clown

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I think it's either (1) or (3). His co-conspirator (whose name I've forgotten) warns him against putting too much in the guy's drink, but Willy gets all mad because of the attempted flirting beforehand and pours in what appears to be the entire flask. So either he OD'ed the guy because he was mad or he mixed up the wrong thing altogether.

Other thoughts:

-- finally an episode with tons of Rothstein and it's Rothstein being as un-sexy as he can possibly be. >:(

I felt really bad for him but pity is not an emotion I want to feel for AR ever. COME ON.

-- Lansky's awesome. Just awesome.

-- SVC laughed so hard at Van Alden everything.

-- Poor Eddie. I was so happy for him being all proud and singing songs with his German buddies ("a gangster with a tommy gun!") and then he gets nabbed by the FBI while seeing his buddy off to the train.

-- I still can't figure out how much Narcisse buys his own rhetoric.

-- It's funny how much stronger this show is when they don't bother trying to include any of the female characters.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:44 pm

The FBI mentioned finding Nucky's weakest link and then breaking it. Eddie doesn't seem like he would be that guy. He's fiercely loyal (although he seems more conflicted this season if he is appreciated) to Nucky and does not have much to lose, aside from his golden years.
Robo-Chachi

Postby sevenarts » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Eddie seems like he would unwittingly do something really incovenient/bad for Nucky while thinking that he's actually protecting him. He's also way too proud of his new status as a quasi-gangster.
sevenarts

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:56 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:i wish i could have just an hour of van alden every week

It is criminal how little screen time he gets.
Spoilt Victorian Child

Postby surly » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:59 pm

if we have a eddie kessler torture scene next week i might cry
surly

Postby nibelheim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:03 pm

pleased with the developing plotline with eli's son, poisoning that rich asshole kid is probably whats gonna cement his pathway into organized crime
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
nibelheim

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:06 pm

It is hard for me to accept Temple as a place with a bunch of rich people.
Spoilt Victorian Child

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:06 pm

In past season's, it used to be "Alright, Chalky" when he had a scene. This year it's, "Fuck, Chalky." All he has literally done the past two episodes is make bedroom eyes at that singer.
Robo-Chachi

Postby clown » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm

not true: Chalky also served as the poker errand boy
clown

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Spoilt Victorian Child wrote:
dr. badvibes wrote:i wish i could have just an hour of van alden every week

It is criminal how little screen time he gets.

yup

I look forward to him and Capone spending some quality time
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 pm

sevenarts wrote:Eddie seems like he would unwittingly do something really incovenient/bad for Nucky while thinking that he's actually protecting him. He's also way too proud of his new status as a quasi-gangster.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. Eddie's incredibly loyal but, alas, pretty easy to bait into revealing things.

I really like the singer, btw. I have generally been neutral about the period music but I legitimately enjoy listening to her sing, and I hope we get (a little) more of that.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I just watched the next's week episode preview and noooo Eddie. :[

nibelheim wrote:pleased with the developing plotline with eli's son, poisoning that rich asshole kid is probably whats gonna cement his pathway into organized crime

As many other people have pointed out in comments to Sepinwall's recap and the AV Club writeup, if this does happen (and I hope it doesn't, at least not if there's any more interesting alternative out there), please for fuck's sake let's have a kid who's actually good at it.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby clown » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Merciel wrote:
As many other people have pointed out in comments to Sepinwall's recap and the AV Club writeup, if this does happen (and I hope it doesn't, at least not if there's any more interesting alternative out there), please for fuck's sake let's have a kid who's actually good at it.

he sure seemed pretty sinister in the lead-up to this punk shitting himself to death, so maybe he DID do it on purpose?
clown

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:45 pm

If he were intentionally plotting to kill a guy I would hope he'd have the sense to leave his little nerd friend out of it. As far as I can tell, nerd friend didn't have anything to do with the actual mixing of the compound, so there's no need to involve him if you intend for it to be more than a pants-shitting prank.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby nibelheim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:47 pm

he didnt do it on purpose he was just looking to fuck with the dude
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
nibelheim

Postby clown » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm

yeah I mean it definitely didn't seem like he did it on purpose, but it could harden his dorky ass into killing suckas without sweating it

especially when considering the context of Eli's speech that preceded the lethal laxative
clown

Postby nibelheim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:58 pm

i think its a pretty obvious plot device to get him booted out of school, maybe jailed, and ultimately linked up with nuckys network - maybe even to emerge as an antagonist to nuck
nibelheim

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:58 pm

nibelheim wrote:i think its a pretty obvious plot device to get him booted out of school, maybe jailed, and ultimately linked up with nuckys network - maybe even to emerge as an antagonist to nuck

I really hope they aren't going this route
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby surly » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 pm

i think it's more likely to get him into nucky's network and then go to jail or get killed, leading to renewed tensions between nucky and eli
surly

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Mainly I'd just like to pause a minute to lol at the early version of the Temple "T" sweater.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby nibelheim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:
nibelheim wrote:i think its a pretty obvious plot device to get him booted out of school, maybe jailed, and ultimately linked up with nuckys network - maybe even to emerge as an antagonist to nuck

I really hope they aren't going this route

its pretty obvious they are (all but the antagonist part, but its not a far stretch)
nibelheim

Postby black drum » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:17 pm

My prediction with respect to Eli's kid: The school officials are going to find out that the bully was poisoned, the reason for the poisoning is going to be assumed to be a bad batch of booze, the nerdy sidekick is going to point the finger at Mickey Doyle as the supplier of the "tainted" booze, the feds will then get to Mickey Doyle who knows that Eli's son is really responsible, etc.
black drum

Postby nibelheim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:33 pm

thats plausible but you forgot to include the hit and run in the packard which will become a season-long plot point
nibelheim

Postby JClax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 pm

black drum wrote:My prediction with respect to Eli's kid: The school officials are going to find out that the bully was poisoned, the reason for the poisoning is going to be assumed to be a bad batch of booze, the nerdy sidekick is going to point the finger at Mickey Doyle as the supplier of the "tainted" booze, the feds will then get to Mickey Doyle who knows that Eli's son is really responsible, etc.

Since Eli's kid is the one who got the booze, it isn't going to get back to Doyle unless he points them there, which I don't think he's dumb enough to do.
JClax

Postby pierrot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:58 pm

You guys always make the most ridiculous predictions and it always turns out to be something much more simpler.
Mood: Image
pierrot

PreviousNext

Return to Free-for-all