Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby seriesfinale » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm

sideshow raheem wrote:
Computer wrote:

Gentlemen, I give you Brittania! Gambling with all the glitz and glamour of the British Isles. Best of all, the waitresses and showgirls are all real Brits -- fresh from the streets of Sussex, they are.

These are the cocktail waitress outfits for Paris

Now imagine her as a Sexy Beefeater
seriesfinale

Postby husbands » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:26 pm

the chicago spire is the worst design
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby Computer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 pm

can somebody link to piranesi's carceri for people who haven't seen it? i need to quit work and go read invisible cities for a while.
Computer

Postby ghdvfddzgzdzg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:40 pm

1:45 of this video from the last page is what I came in here to talk about.

"Ok, so flood the National Mall, and pepper it with pyramids. Sound good? OK let's go."
ghdvfddzgzdzg

Postby viachicago » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:01 pm

husbands wrote:the chicago spire is the worst design

The original design was pretty nice.

viachicago

Postby baleen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 pm

love this thread.
The answer is simple: artisanship.
baleen

Postby cram » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Columbus Circle
Architect: Moshe Safdie
Year: 1985

cram

Postby Seamus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:00 pm

this, this is the greatest thread

Going to be visiting it all week in work
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby pana » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 pm

they've abandoned construction on this for 3 years now. does it count?

Crystal Island is a proposed building project in Moscow, Russia that is currently planned to have around 2,500,000 square metres (27,000,000 square feet) of floor space and a height of 450 metres (1,476 ft) designed by Norman Foster.[1] At these dimensions upon completion it would be the largest structure (in floor space) on earth. The architectural firm behind the design is Foster and Partners.

The tent-like superstructure would rise to 450m, and form a breathable "second skin" and thermal buffer for the main building, shielding the interior spaces from Moscow’s weather. This second skin will be sealed in winter to minimise heat loss, and opened in the summer to naturally cool the interior. The building would be integrated into a new park, which would provide a range of activities throughout the year, with cross country skiing and ice skating in the winter.[2]

It is stated to have a multitude of cultural, exhibition, performance, hotel, apartment, retail and office space, as well as an international school for 500 students.[2]

The building would be powered by built-in solar panels and wind turbines.[3] The site would also feature on-site renewable and low-carbon energy generation.[2]

As of 2009, construction has been postponed due to the global economic crisis
pana

Postby Sharmoota » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Russia clearly has the best architecture.
HELP ME
Sharmoota

Postby pitchfork.com » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Best New Thread; 9.2
pitchfork.com

Postby pretty yeoman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:46 pm

cram wrote:Columbus Circle
Architect: Moshe Safdie
Year: 1985

That is some nasty Total Recall shit right there.
pretty yeoman

Postby skittish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm

lutyens' design for metropolitan cathedral in liverpool
Lutyens' design was intended to create a massive structure that would have become the second-largest church in the world. It would have had the world's largest dome, with a diameter of 168 feet (51 m) compared to the 137.7 feet (42.0 m) diameter on St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. Building work based on Lutyens' design began on Whit Monday, 5 June 1933, being paid for mostly by the contributions of working class Catholics of the burgeoning industrial port. In 1941, the restrictions of World War II wartime and a rising cost from £3 million to £27 million (£991 million as of 2012), forced construction to stop. In 1956, work recommenced on the crypt, which was finished in 1958. Thereafter, Lutyens' design for the Cathedral was considered too costly and was abandoned with only the crypt complete

this is what we ended up with

cool article with more pictures of the model here: http://www.andrewcusack.com/2007/01/11/ ... ver-built/
skittish

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:00 pm

oh holy shit we need moon las vegas.
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby skittish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm

maryon tower (toronto)
Eaton's / John Maryon Tower was a proposed supertall 140-storey office skyscraper, to be built in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In 1971, Eaton's was going to team up with a developer named John Maryon to build a 1,650 ft (503 m) tower in the College Park area of Downtown Toronto. With a 600 ft (183 m) communication mast added to the roof of the triangular glass office tower, the total proposed height was 2,250 ft (686 m). Plans for the tower were cancelled, because building a structure of this height was considered impossible at the time of its planning. This skyscraper was planned two years before the Willis Tower was completed, and five years before the CN Tower was completed. Had the tower been built, it would have been the world's tallest building until 2008, when the Burj Khalifa surpassed its planned height.

project toronto
Project Toronto never really got beyond the theoretical phase, but Buckminster Fuller's plan to build a waterfront university that would feature a 20-storey pyramid and "Pro-To-Cities" built in the inner harbour, would have profoundly changed this city's downtown core and its relationship with the waterfront. With plans for Metro Centre arising at the same time, Project Toronto never really went anywhere.
skittish

Postby messier object » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Computer wrote:can somebody link to piranesi's carceri for people who haven't seen it? i need to quit work and go read invisible cities for a while.

for sure

thomas de quincey wrote:Many years ago, when I was looking over Piranesi's Antiquities of Rome, Mr. Coleridge, who was standing by, described to me a set of plates by that artist ... which record the scenery of his own visions during the delirium of a fever: some of them (I describe only from memory of Mr. Coleridge's account) representing vast Gothic halls, on the floor of which stood all sorts of engines and machinery, wheels, cables, pulleys, levers, catapults, etc., etc., expressive of enormous power put forth, and resistance overcome. Creeping along the sides of the walls, you perceived a staircase; and upon it, groping his way upwards, was Piranesi himself: follow the stairs a little further, and you perceive it come to a sudden abrupt termination, without any balustrade, and allowing no step onwards to him.

explanation of some impossibilities in the carceri
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby skittish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:41 pm

that piranesi is some m.c. escher shit

fashion building (new york)
This proposed building was entitled “The Fashion Building” and was to be built on Fifth Avenue. It was designed by William Bergen Chalfant for Amos Parrish & Co in 1930
skittish

Postby messier object » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 pm

aw man that's great skittish

what was its fate?
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby skittish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

i haven't been able to dig up much on it but i don't think it made it past the proposal stage.
skittish

Postby messier object » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

that aerostat skyscraper computer posted on the last page led me to this:

Artificial Clouds, Asadov Architecture Studio. Sochi Olympic complex, 2014 (proposed)

evolo wrote:The Clouds consist of aluminium skeletons fitted by a membrane fabric, divided into a number of compartments. Rigid connections between “clouds” stabilize their vertical movement and give stability to the whole structure. The structures are reachable by means of platform-boats, available on each module. The project can also have a cooling effect, as sets of rain funnels accumulate moisture in the lower parts of the modules. Solar elements are integrated within the top layer of the cover, developing necessary electric energy for life support and illumination... With reference to the Olympic complex in Sochi, several scenarios of behavior are possible: the design can act as a canopy structure, covering the foot parkway, it may accommodate VIPs and press members in the mountain ski area, etc. After the Olympics, the “clouds” can overlap the city streets during various festivals, providing entertainment and media support.

excited red shirt guy is killing me in this one.
messier object

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Computer wrote:oh god that swimming pool is killing me.

re: the eighth sister, this is the building they decided wouldn't overshadow the kremlin:

at the time it was supposed to be Russia's premier hotel; i stayed there once, there was a shop on the second floor selling copied cd-rs and they gave me stale bread for breakfast.

I stayed in this hellhole, lol. found a dead rat in my room
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby skittish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm

i sort of like keith urban in foreground of that last picture

globe tower swindle (coney island)
One of the most ambitious and unusual amusement park projects for Coney Island was announced in a newspaper ad on May 6, 1906 in the New York Herald. It offered investors "a ground floor chance to share profits in the largest steel structure ever erected...the greatest amusement enterprise in the whole world...the best real estate venture," the Globe Tower. The ad explained that it would cost $1,500,000 to erect. The public was urged to invest on the expectations that it would pay 100 % interest annually.

What Samuel Friede, the inventor of the Globe Tower, planned was enormous in scope. For him a structure in the shape of a globe or sphere that was subdivided into floors, was simply a source of immense square footage that needed a tiny point of contact with earth to support it. As he revealed to investors, the tower's blueprints showed a gigantic steel planet that had collided onto a replica of the Eiffel Tower. As a whole it was 700 feet high, three times as high as the Flatiron Building, New York's marvel at the time. The Globe Tower would be the largest building in the world with enormous elevators to carry visitors to its eleven completely different floors. It would be an agglomeration of Steeplechase, Dreamland and Luna Park, all contained in a single interior volume.
( http://www.westland.net/coneyisland/art ... etower.htm )
skittish

Postby delgriffith » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 pm

This thread is brilliant, one of the best things I've ever read here. Thanks everyone.

Cenotaph for Newton is just 8-)
delgriffith

Postby uncledoj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Slamwich Artist wrote:
Computer wrote:oh god that swimming pool is killing me.

re: the eighth sister, this is the building they decided wouldn't overshadow the kremlin:

at the time it was supposed to be Russia's premier hotel; i stayed there once, there was a shop on the second floor selling copied cd-rs and they gave me stale bread for breakfast.

I stayed in this hellhole, lol. found a dead rat in my room

what is the purpose of that air traffic control tower looking thing
uncledoj

Postby thrillionaire » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 pm

gallits wrote:This building was actually realised to some extent. It's not as silly as all the rest but it is totally the best church.

Fonthill Abbey was actually someone's country estate, not a church. The owner was an eccentric who was shunned in society for being a pedophile.
thrillionaire

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:39 pm

how did people not immediately understand how important it was that they build moon las vegas
The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby hellphone » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm

hellphone

Postby Malcolm Money » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm

this reminds me of the sci-fi novels I read as a kid that took place on rotating space stations
Why do so many white people feel they have something to say artistically?
Malcolm Money

Postby rap and country » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:53 pm

why does the CN tower always get left off those "here's all the famous tall buildings ours is going to dwarf" charts
rap and country
ok

Postby hellphone » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Don't know if this goes in here but I've always been a big T. Kennard Thomson fan:
hellphone

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.