albums chat 1972; Il Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys

albums from 1972

Let's talk sandwich

Postby BanEmAll Collective » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:12 am

I have a friend I have dinner with weekly and she’s probably like the Bill Withers spotify station’s number one listener. I like him well enough, some of his stuff is pretty idiosyncratic if not brilliant, and he really does come across as the best dude a lot. I think any Bill curious dude should listen to Live at Carnegie Hall. I’ve played it a couple of times and it sticks out to me for some reason. It’s not like he’s an incredibly impassioned live performer, I guess some of his banter hits, but there’s something really comfortable about it.

I agree that Lean On Me is kind of dumb, still a good song, but it’s one of those songs that swings for the fences and demands you consider it and the song kind of shrinks in comparison to songs conveying similar sentiments. Like, i can’t help but feel what it makes me feel, but I can’t fully commit because it makes me think of fucking “Stand By Me” which is perfect. But Bill wrote “Ain’t No Sunshine” and I really like “I Can’t Write Left Handed” if I had to pick one other song.

BanEmAll Collective

Postby demigod abs » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:48 am

I have a family friend who was Withers’ tour manager before his live career met an abrupt and premature end. Apparently Bill had certain proclivities that left him banned from the Ramada, Holiday Inn and Hyatt hotel chains, among others. As this peculiar behavior reached a crisis an intervention was staged and he was told in no uncertain words that he had to stop shitting in hotel tubs. Bill just hung his head and said “I know I know I know I know I know I know”

—Steve Huey, AllMusic 2004
demigod abs

Postby demigod abs » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:49 am

When you gonna do Santana Caravanserai
demigod abs

Postby Fool » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:55 am

"Lonely Town, Lonely Street", "Who is He (and What is He to You?)" and "Use Me" are all killer grooves.

Sure "Lean on Me" is a simple song but it's supposed to be like a church hymn that you can sing along to and dissolve yourself into. It's the first song that I listened to during my depression that gave me a tingle of pleasure, the first sign that the anhedonia would lift.

Fool

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 am

BanEmAll Collective wrote:I agree that Lean On Me is kind of dumb, still a good song, but it’s one of those songs that swings for the fences and demands you consider it and the song kind of shrinks in comparison to songs conveying similar sentiments. Like, i can’t help but feel what it makes me feel, but I can’t fully commit because it makes me think of fucking “Stand By Me” which is perfect.

I feel the same about “Lean on Me” vs “Stand by Me.” Idk if it makes any sense because they really aren’t that similar but every time I hear “Lean on Me” it just makes me think about how much I’d rather be listening to “Stand by Me.” I do like the percussion though.

This is an album I usually talk myself out of listening to because the singles have been beaten to death. But when I do listen to it I end up with “Use Me” stuck in my head for a month. Great song.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am

It’s funny to think what Faces’ legacy would be if they hadn’t essentially released five albums in two years. Like they could have just put out two or three albums and staked out spots atop every “best of decade” list. They were definitely winding down by Never a Dull Moment though.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby jewels » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:22 am

Lean on Me rules, I will not hear otherwise.

Lovely Day might be my favorite Bill song.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:10 pm

Caetano Veloso - Transa

Released: January 1972

of the brazilian music suggestions earlier this was the one of the few that I could connect with most readily (I haven't listened to them all though). the songs on each end of the album are really great ones, the stuff in the middle (well, the longer ones) more floats past without my absorbing too much. but a very distinctive sounding record, which I appreciate, I dunno if there are a lot of other artists that could produce something that sounds like "Neolithic Man" and I think "You Don't Know Me" is the kind of song that will stick with me over time. so yeah, really good record, I'd take more recommendations for what in his discography to check out

palmer eldritch

Postby Drinky » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:26 pm

Yeah Transa is a really special record, and the easiest recommendation if you like that is the one just before it, the 1971 s/t (A Little More Blue). I think both of those records were made while he was exiled from Brazil and living in London and have a higher percentage of songs in English than his earlier records. The first two s/t albums from 1968-69 are great, too, but are more of the Tropicalia sound - more Beatles-y, Os Mutantes type of thing, not as stripped down as Transa and ALMB.

Still Bill is a really good album that I don't really have any strong feelings about.

Drinky

Postby aunt fritzi » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:28 pm

the 1971 s/t is the most like transa in terms of being kinda languorous and sad. those are the two albums he recorded after having to leave brazil. his stuff before that is more adventurous/fun/generally psychedelic. as is the stuff after that. he has a pretty rich/rewarding discography overall that it's hard to pick out the Big Highlights from. but yeah you can't go wrong with the 71 s/t if you liked transa.

i love every song on this one. i probably value it over the rest of his discography less cuz i'm less sad than i was as a teenager overall but it's still tremendous. i think 'it's a long way' is my favorite song here.

aunt fritzi

Postby aunt fritzi » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:35 pm

oh, my favorite bill withers sample not yet mentioned is

used for drums in

aunt fritzi

Postby joe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 pm

i got myself ready for this album thinking it was araca azul which also came out in 72. somehow forgot about this one even though it has some of his best and most distinctive tracks. by which i mean songs that he wrote where he wasn't outshined by someone else he let perform it. gal costa singing caetano written or arranged songs or whatever is the best capital T tropicalia thing (see the 1969 gal releases)
Last edited by joe on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe

Postby aunt fritzi » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:39 pm

the opening notes of 'you don't know me' are like a warm blanket.

aunt fritzi

Postby joe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:46 pm

god when caetano starts singing vinicius de moraes' consolacao in the style of nara 64 on it's a long way i get shivers

joe

Postby Althea » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:09 pm

I just put on araca azul after getting stoned, two tracks in I am very confused about this album

Althea

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:09 pm

joe wrote:i got myself ready for this album thinking it was araca azul which also came out in 72. somehow forgot about this one even though it has some of his best and most distinctive tracks. by which i mean songs that he wrote where he wasn't outshined by someone else he let perform it. gal costa singing caetano written or arranged songs or whatever is the best capital T tropicalia thing (see the 1969 gal releases)

Yeah I mean… it’s obvious to say “Baby”… but god what a song.

I appreciate Transa but it keeps me at arm’s length. Or maybe vice versa. I feel closer to the ‘60s stuff.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Althea » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:11 pm

He's literally doing

Althea

Postby joe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:34 pm

there were a couple of songs i enjoyed on my araca azul relisten, but the ones i didn't enjoy i ended up skipping. i'm not like a walter franco fan or really into that type of zappy experimentalism, but walter franco at least was one of those weirdos. it just feels jaring on a caetano album

joe

Postby joe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:28 pm

whoa i put on Paebiru for the first time in years just now (maybe as a bit of a cleanse lol) and i swear that i had the opener running through my head earlier this week, but i couldn't remember what it was from

joe

Postby Fool » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:27 am

Nine out of Ten is such a jam

Fool

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:04 pm

Miles Davis - On the Corner

Released: October 11, 1972

I don't know what I was expecting but I definitely wasn't expecting something that sounded like this. I have a bit of exposure to Miles Davis here and there but not as much as I should. if I was expecting something like what the word "jazz" would normally connotate this is in another dimension; not knowing the artist I would have called it experimental funk or something. I do remember the story about how Davis was driving around in his Lamborghini with a Stockhausen cassette tape. I've listened to it quite a few times in the last few weeks and I think it's a towering masterpiece but I don't really have the language except to call it "unique" which is very high praise. it seems like a decade later post-punk and avant garde groups were still trying to approach something like this sound with mixed success. I don't know, you tell me.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:11 pm

maybe the actual best album of 1972

palmer eldritch

Postby Hal Jordan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:12 pm

tgk2 wrote:Yikes I've never heard this version of my ding a ling, it's a live track that's 11 minutes long and chuck is filthy as hell wtf. Even KISS wasnt this explicit. Really creepy knowing the shit he was into.

This! This fucking thing (edited on the single to a still interminable 4+ minutes) was his only #1 hit!

what shit was he into
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.

Hal Jordan

Postby DasLofGang » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:17 pm

Hal Jordan wrote:
tgk2 wrote:Really creepy knowing the shit he was into.

what shit was he into

10/10
I call it politricks.

DasLofGang

Postby Kuma » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:58 pm

It's been years since I've listened to On the Corner, my feeling then was that it was wildly inventive and sonically very interesting but that I couldn't really get into the songs themselves. There's something about the way it sounds that makes me feel like there's an itch in my brain that I can't scratch.

Kuma

Postby guy forget » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 pm

Sure, I’ll listen to On the Corner today
Nice. Get it, Mullen.

guy forget

Postby aunt fritzi » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:10 pm

i always reach for the complete on the corner sessions box when i want to listen to this, to the point where i think i forget where everything about the actual album flow

part of that is that i find big jazz boxsets intensely good to do work to, but also everything on there just rules. 'get up with it' is my favorite miles record from this period but you cant really go wrong.

aunt fritzi

Postby aunt fritzi » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:13 pm

i guess a decent chunk of 'get up with it' is from these sessions too. anyway i'm gonna listen to 'he loved him madly' now.

aunt fritzi

Postby Kuma » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Get Up With It, and He Loved Him Madly in particular, is sublime.

Kuma

Postby Drinky » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:42 pm

Somebody somewhere derided On the Corner as being "too repetitive" or something so I didn't get to for a while when I was first going through electric Miles stuff. It blew me away when I finally did listen to it, though. It's probably my favorite post-Bitches Brew album, followed by Live-Evil.

Drinky

PreviousNext

Return to Peanut Butter and Jelly Talk