Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 pm

They're not really poor because they could be trying harder, it's just standard garbage conservatism
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 pm

crosspost with 'tweets that stick with you'

mercenaries of slime

Postby Kenny » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:14 pm

I bet Theresa and Philip May spend any free evenings sitting quietly on the couch with their hands folded on their laps with the tv off
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

at least she likes cricket
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:17 pm

big zorb wrote:Wait so if you're starving now but you might not be in five years you're not poor?

yeah that's a pretty silly definition, I think it needs to be in present tense only.
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Geoff wrote:at least she likes cricket

Has her knowledge been tested

Could be a John Kerry "Manny Ortiz" situation
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby pana » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 pm

pana

Postby deadbass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:22 pm

I, for one, am glad that poverty isn’t defined by random message board users!
deadbass

Postby object » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:47 pm

theresa may is a kind of protestant caricature
object

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Geoff wrote:
big zorb wrote:Wait so if you're starving now but you might not be in five years you're not poor?

yeah that's a pretty silly definition, I think it needs to be in present tense only.

We are not talking about an absolute measure like starving here - if we are 30% of all uk children are starving apparently!!! .

For relative measures - Time & persistance are important. For instance, in the report it states 39.7% (!!!) of all families with a child under 5 are in poverty. This is clearly a time bound factor that I do not think add anything other than sensationalism. It's like including young apprentices or students because they have no income / assets even though their are deliberately investing for future gain.

This whole issue is dealt with in the report under persistance of poverty (something I've not had time to scrutinise the findings on).
Hauntedattic

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:59 pm

can you agree poverty levels should be considered as a relative judgement rather than an absolute?

Eg, if you believe it is relative, then you wouldn't be able to make a comparison to the poverty suffered in more developing nations.
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Hauntedattic wrote:
Geoff wrote:

We are not talking about an absolute measure like starving here - if we are 30% of all uk children are starving apparently!!! .

*hums*

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/food-bank-uk-benefits-trussell-trust-cost-of-living-highest-rate-a8317001.html
mercenaries of slime

Postby Merciel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Hauntedattic wrote:For instance, in the report it states 39.7% (!!!) of all families with a child under 5 are in poverty. This is clearly a time bound factor that I do not think add anything other than sensationalism. It's like including young apprentices or students because they have no income / assets even though their are deliberately investing for future gain.

What makes you think it's "clearly" a time bound factor?

Also, and separately: do you think there's no difference in a child's development when their formative years are experienced as poor and unstable vs. affluent and secure?
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:37 pm

LOL at Mr. “Jez will tax me into oblivion” accusing a poverty metric of sensationalism
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby miss black america » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:13 pm

could we try and de-fang the poverty discussion by referring to kids as "absolutely hank marvin"
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby deadbass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:19 pm

It’s like I didn’t even make a post on the previous page defining relative poverty and how it is derived.
deadbass

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Merciel wrote:
Hauntedattic wrote:For instance, in the report it states 39.7% (!!!) of all families with a child under 5 are in poverty. This is clearly a time bound factor that I do not think add anything other than sensationalism. It's like including young apprentices or students because they have no income / assets even though their are deliberately investing for future gain.

What makes you think it's "clearly" a time bound factor?

Also, and separately: do you think there's no difference in a child's development when their formative years are experienced as poor and unstable vs. affluent and secure?

The section on child poverty by age. How the % of those in poverty decreases from near 40% to near 25% once youngest child is over 5 (which makes sense according to their methodology as day care costs presumably go down).

Point 2. Of course I do! All my point is I'm not sure its helpful to say 40% of UK children are born into instability and poverty.
Hauntedattic

Postby Merciel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Why don't you think it's helpful?
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Because I think the numbers quoted are overblown and casts into doubt the whole issue (which is real for those genuinely affected)
Hauntedattic

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm

lol
mercenaries of slime

Postby Merciel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Is that because you think it's impossible for 40% of the children in a wealthy nation to be born into poverty and instability, or because you have a specific, concrete disagreement with how that definition is achieved?

So far most of your posts seem to suggest the latter but I'm not really seeing any concrete reasoning to support the position. It seems like you want to reach that conclusion and are doing your best to reason backward from emotion, which I would suggest is perhaps something you might want to spend a minute examining.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Perhaps these so-called “poor” toddlers should strap on their big boy trousers
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Geoff wrote:can you agree poverty levels should be considered as a relative judgement rather than an absolute?

Eg, if you believe it is relative, then you wouldn't be able to make a comparison to the poverty suffered in more developing nations.

I believe both can be useful but poverty is an emotional term and when poorly defined and dilutative, I believe its fair to call it insulting.
Hauntedattic

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Merciel wrote:Is that because you think it's impossible for 40% of the children in a wealthy nation to be born into poverty and instability, or because you have a specific, concrete disagreement with how that definition is achieved?

So far most of your posts seem to suggest the latter but I'm not really seeing any concrete reasoning to support the position. It seems like you want to reach that conclusion and are doing your best to reason backward from emotion, which I would suggest is perhaps something you might want to spend a minute examining.

I have called out some specific concrete examples of why I think that definition is poor namely its calculation of assets/wealth, the ignoring of non immediate sources of income (pension), the use of an arbitrary 55% of median poverty line (read that section BTW and how important that factor is). I think I've been pretty transparent as to how I arrived at that position. No one else has even really have challenged me on that - it's more just ad hominem and putting words in my mouth.
Hauntedattic

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:43 pm

miss black america wrote:could we try and de-fang the poverty discussion by referring to kids as "absolutely hank marvin"

I support this motion.
Hauntedattic

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:44 pm

I don’t think children have pensions usually
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Hauntedattic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:I don’t think children have pensions usually

If the analysis is only taking into account children's incomes then 60% of kids must be getting some serious pocket money.
Hauntedattic

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:56 pm

I don’t think people with young children have pensions usually
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby pokethedoke » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 am

so what's the verdict? Is this show good or is it shit?
pokethedoke

Postby object » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:47 am

It's a bit repetitive at this stage
object

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....