Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Mandingo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am

also guys i don't know why we're even debating this anymore since x-men forever 2 was published in 2011 and is the automatic winner
Mandingo

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 am

I will forever stan for The Unbelievable Gwenpool as being an out of nowhere, shouldn't be good, somehow kinda great comic. I resented the idea of the character when first announced but it ended up a surreal, truly funny and clever book, which could hit notes it had no business touching. The art was, while not spectacular in most ways, extremely well suited and able to keep up with some real weird, complicated asks.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

Venmo: @hipro or PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
An actual homeless person (tho not on the streets fwiw), so, you know, help is nice!
buriedinspace

Postby Mandingo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 am

not gonna lie i wrote that off due to the title i'll have to check it out
Mandingo

Postby odilon redon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 am

any itt rep for the first couple of arcs of southern bastards
odilon redon

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 am

i read the first and second trades and liked them a lot, yeah
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Rumours » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 am

thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Forgot remender x-force, will def be on my list.
Rumours

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 am

Mandingo wrote:not gonna lie i wrote that off due to the title i'll have to check it out

The new mini they just started is bad and what I was worried about, through one issue and it bums me out. Different creative team that seems to think they should way overdo the stuff that they kept special and used as needed and it's just a clusterfuck. Hoping it improves on issue 2 because the previous series makes me want to keep the character in circulation but... yikes - a worst instincts sort of Deadpool comic in issue one.

Venmo: @hipro or PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
An actual homeless person (tho not on the streets fwiw), so, you know, help is nice!
buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 am

Mandingo wrote:not gonna lie i wrote that off due to the title i'll have to check it out

But yeah, that series is great and it takes a minute to get to the real weird shit but even from the start has a premise that powers it through to that point, really compellingly. I would legitimately compare it with Morrison Animal Man, which is probably ultimately an unflattering comp because that's a really high bar, but it has some definite similarities.

buriedinspace

Postby Drinky » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 am

Mandingo wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:Yeah, I still feel like pre-crossover Animal Man and Swamp Thing are worth continued recognition. Maybe through the crossover, actually. Either way, it was nice while it lasted.

I don't know. I think the crossover really damaged even those first issues few issues of Animal Man for me. It just completely ruined the momentum of the book and made me feel like it was all just wasted potential. I kinda prefer his moon knight run now tbh.

almost everything Snyder has done has aged incredibly poorly. swampy is not exception. I don't really think it holds up like at all. snyder does have a place in this conversation tho and it's Black Mirror. I don't think he's ever topped or even really come close to that level ever since.

The crossover totally ruined Swamp Thing - the whole book was essentially building up to what ended up being a truly shitty climax. It hurt Animal Man’s momentum, but it didn’t completely derail it. (I don’t think Lemire’s books ever have much momentum anyway.) The last few arcs were pretty bleak, but purposefully so. I’d consider re-reading it whereas if I ever open an issue of Snyder’s Swamp Thing again it would only be to look at the Paquette art.

Lemire’s Moon Knight is probably his best book for Marvel or DC, but Greg Smallwood deserves a lot of the credit there.
Drinky

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:15 am

Did The Wake ever go anywhere? I remember liking the first couple of issues for Murphy alone but definitely did not keep up with the remainder.
reversemigraine

Postby odilon redon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 am

oh man totally forgot about the wake. i think i got more out of wytches tbh
odilon redon

Postby Drinky » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 am

Second half of The Wake was awful. Sean Murphy has really been on a run of bad books for a while.

I liked Wytches well enough. Was the second part of that published in some Image magazine or something?
Drinky

Postby Mandingo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 am

I think the first half of the wake is pretty solid, but it end of it was just pretty damn bad and felt unearned.

Drinky wrote:The crossover totally ruined Swamp Thing - the whole book was essentially building up to what ended up being a truly shitty climax. It hurt Animal Man’s momentum, but it didn’t completely derail it. (I don’t think Lemire’s books ever have much momentum anyway.) The last few arcs were pretty bleak, but purposefully so. I’d consider re-reading it whereas if I ever open an issue of Snyder’s Swamp Thing again it would only be to look at the Paquette art.

Lemire’s Moon Knight is probably his best book for Marvel or DC, but Greg Smallwood deserves a lot of the credit there.

yeah smallwood's the real star of that moon knight run. honestly, now that i think about it i think foreman leaving animal man took a lot of my enjoyment away from the title. it happened right around the time of the crossover iirc.

pugh ain't bad by any means but that change, along with the crossover killed a lot of my enjoyment of the book. edit - to the point where i'm probably being unfair of the rest of the run.
Mandingo

Postby sevenarts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 am

The Wake was great fun if you just completely stop reading at the halfway point and pretend that’s the end. Wytches was not bad. Snyder should do more of that kind of straight up creepy horror. Remember Severed? Also fun.
sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am

It’s really hard for me to recapture my excitement at early Lemire/Foreman Animal Man but damn, that seemed like the best possible book at the time. Foreman leaving and the dragging crossover garbage made it so I doubt I’d even consider it for a list like this but I bet the first dozen issues or so still hold up real well.

Lemire Moon Knight was very good. He leaned heavy on his artists but the concepts were cool and the art was great, especially when they started assigning different artists to the different MK personae.
sevenarts

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am

New 52 seems like an entirely different age now and most of those titles were clearly Not Good even in the moment, but the weekly wave of Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Dial H, Action Comics, etc.*, was exciting for a brief second.

*OMACToggle Spoiler
reversemigraine

Postby manvstrees » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 am

Sheriff of Babylon and zero are prob in top ten
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby odilon redon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:29 pm

i guess it’s one of those great tom king batman weeks
odilon redon

Postby sevenarts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Yea it was except I can't stand Clay Mann. There's something so slick and empty in his art. Wish he didn't do so many of these Bat/Cat issues because this ruled otherwise.
sevenarts

Postby creationist » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 pm

How did 2011 get so far away
creationist

Postby Mandingo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:36 pm

creationist wrote:How did 2011 get so far away

guys we've been arguing about comics for a decade
Mandingo

Postby Mandingo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:09 pm

also real talk migraine i think OMAC might be the New 52 book that's aged the best. it'll sit nicely on a shelf next to books like copra or whatever tom scioli does
Mandingo

Postby Wombatz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 am

for me it's azzarello's wonder woman ... i reread it maybe a year ago and it only gets better with age because it's so different ... the way it works with the theatrics of the greek myth thing

(also i notice i never really tried reading zero, probably the initial war zone setting turned me off, three issues in it's pretty remarkable (as you all know))
Wombatz

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 am

Mandingo wrote:also real talk migraine i think OMAC might be the New 52 book that's aged the best. it'll sit nicely on a shelf next to books like copra or whatever tom scioli does

have you read scioli's go-bots?

really tempted to pick it up.
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 am

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/13/star-artisdc-comics-frank-miller-rafael-grampa-dark-knight-golden-child-december/

didn't even read DKIII but I love Grampa enough that I'll probably check this out

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Wombatz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:22 am

so i've finished zero. it's amazing for 3 volumes! that kot then mobilizes several multiverses, william s. burroughs as meta narrator/hero, psychomagic and fungi taking over humanity to get out of a spy thriller with previously mildly esoteric sci fi overtones, that i can't take seriously. so despite great use of ian bertram and stathis tsemberlidis (did kot introduce the mushrooms just for him?), volume 4 was a huge letdown.
Wombatz

Postby manvstrees » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm

all that is just a bonus epilogue
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby Drinky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Wombatz wrote:Image
so i've finished zero. it's amazing for 3 volumes! that kot then mobilizes several multiverses, william s. burroughs as meta narrator/hero, psychomagic and fungi taking over humanity to get out of a spy thriller with previously mildly esoteric sci fi overtones, that i can't take seriously. so despite great use of ian bertram and stathis tsemberlidis (did kot introduce the mushrooms just for him?), volume 4 was a huge letdown.

Yep. Here I was wondering when everyone here decided that the ending to Zero was good. It wasn’t.
Drinky

Postby Drinky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:08 pm

manvstrees wrote:all that is just a bonus epilogue

Love having an epilogue instead of an ending
Drinky

Postby manvstrees » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm

there was a great ending before that arc though
manvstrees

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....