What's this part of Pennsylvania called?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby viachicago » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Yeah I rec this book if you want to understand (or at least try to) the geology of the US and how it came to be. There's an entire section dedicated to the formation of the Appalachians, it's pretty wild shit

viachicago

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 pm

coooooool!

paging Guy Forget...
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby viachicago » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:19 pm

It's such a fun read

The Himalayas are the crowning achievement of the Indo-Australian plate. India in the Oligocene crashed head on into Tibet, hit so hard that it not only folded and buckled the plate boundaries but also plowed into the newly created Tibetan plateau and drove the Himalayas five and a half miles into the sky. The mountains are in some trouble. India has not stopped pushing them, and they are still going up. Their height and volume are already so great they are beginning to melt in their own self-generated radioactive heat. When the climbers in 1953 planted their flags on the highest mountain, they set them in snow over the skeletons of creatures that had lived in a warm clear ocean that India, moving north, blanked out. Possibly as much as 20,000 feet below the sea floor, the skeletal remains had turned into rock. This one fact is a treatise in itself on the movements of the surface of the earth.

If by some fiat, I had to restrict all this writing to one sentence; this is the one I would choose: the summit of Mount Everest is marine limestone.

A quarter-horse jockey learns to think of a twenty-second race as if it were occurring across twenty minutes--in distinct parts, spaced in his consciousness. Each nuance of the ride comes to him as he builds his race. If you can do the opposite with deep time, living in it and thinking in it until the large numbers settle into place, you can sense how swiftly the initial earth packed itself together, how swiftly continents have assembled and come apart, how far and rapidly continents travel, how quickly mountains rise and how quickly they disintegrate and disappear.
Last edited by viachicago on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viachicago

Postby jewels » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 pm

when I imagine any city not named Pittsburgh, Erie or Philadelphia and her immediate suburbs I picture all of them in that circle and I call it "central pa"

Erie gets a pass because I know it touches Lake Erie.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 pm

I just wanna clear up that I wasn't talking about like the regional aspects of living in that part of PA, I just wanted to know why it looked like that on the map.

Okay see ya
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I'm not a player I just crush a lot. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm

sedimentary rock
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm

+ millions of years of erosion
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm

to be honest it doesn’t seem like you’re very interested in it at all
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm

you see the thing about coal seams is.....
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm

I am! I was just reading the first page and some of the responses seem like they thought maybe I was shitting on Pennsylvania and I wasn't!

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:30 pm

oh I don’t care about shitting on PA

but the thing about anthracite deposits is.......
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 pm

I remember seeing it when I flew into NYC in 2009. It was striking from the air even

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby viachicago » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 pm

I've definitely spent a lot of time on google maps just starting at this part of the country and trying to absorb it

viachicago

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:35 pm

One of the best parts of The VVitch was how it brought home to me how the pilgrims had like no fuckin' maps. They cleared a hole in primeval forests and like, had no idea howfar they went or what was in them. That's gotta be spooky

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:37 pm

driving E-W across PA is absolutely as bad as it gets in the US as far as ugly interstate travel... the turnpike just blasts through the rock and it’s hideous and the lanes are narrow and always under construction and rock falls into the road and the rest stops are all terrible and central PA is terrifying
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:42 pm

I assumed Night In The Woods was basically set in Pennsylvania

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Centralia is definitely the coolest part about central PA

it’s been on fire since 1962
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby waldojeffers1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:51 pm

oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Pennsylvania is probably the state with the best name, tbh.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby grace cathedral park » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 pm

why does so much of pennsylvania smell like shit
Never knowingly eaten an ass.

grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby goovis young » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm

that’s an easy one: they spray pig shit everywhere like 3/4 of the year.
goovis young

Postby goovis young » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:32 pm

i was also born in “the circle”
goovis young

Postby chowder julius » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:03 pm

the lines are from ancient glaciers pushing rock across the landscape kenny

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby mariko-juku » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm

is that a sinkhole map
or is the entire state of Pennsylvania a sinkhole zone

mariko-juku

Postby goldsoundz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:06 pm

lived in williamsport for 3 years from 2011-2014, worst place in the fucking universe

goldsoundz

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:28 pm

chowder julius wrote:the lines are from ancient glaciers pushing rock across the landscape kenny

I thought that may be the case too because I’m from western NY and everything up there is (finger lakes and the N-S drumlin hill formations) but it’s not actually down there in PA and the lines continue way far south

this link has a particularly cool explanation of the valley & ridge formations in the NE and what makes them unique (something called topographic inversions, which I’ve never heard of until this thread prompted this reading)

http://geology.teacherfriendlyguide.org/index.php/topography/region-2-appalachian-piedmont
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:31 pm

chowder julius wrote:the lines are from ancient glaciers pushing rock across the landscape kenny

how come it too so long for someone to answer my question. Typical it's a librarian who actually helps. We really are the last bastion of civilization

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:42 pm

that’s not what they’re from though
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:43 pm

that was my first assumption, and I looked up more info on it
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby Frank » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 pm

the Appalachian Trail runs through those lines and I walked that a couple years ago, hope that helps
dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....