here's my all-time favorite website:

http://girlvinyl.com/content/survey.htm

i also just found this one the other day

https://tweekuk17.tripod.com/

and this one:

https://wendyvsbebe.tripod.com/mysecondpsychoticsite/index.html

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:50 pm

big social media took this beautiful stuff away from us. i'm willing to fight to have it back.

Autarch

Postby joe » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 pm

joe

Postby garbiel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 pm

hypnospace outlaw did this aesthetic really well
alaska wrote:shut the fuck up

garbiel

Postby Captain Crocodile » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 pm

Good thread

I've been thinking a lot about how consolidated the internets getting and what chances there are to reel that back

Captain Crocodile

Postby i am rich » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 am

Hello and welcome to my Music Store.
https://donslepian.com/

i am rich

Postby Gutslab » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 am

stole these from another forum thread

Toggle Spoiler

Gutslab

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 am

Random Access Memories Superfan wrote:Good thread

I've been thinking a lot about how consolidated the internets getting and what chances there are to reel that back

I think maybe the only way we can fight it is through direct action, ie, making our own websites and encouraging others to do the same. I have a website I’ve been working on with a friend, which is almost ready and should be out soon. Have had at least one or two ideas for other websites too that hopefully I’ll have a chance to work on. Would also be interested in rejecting frameworks like react altogether. I think maybe we pm’d about this a while back, or maybe it was in the programming or “experimental board” thread, but you said something along the lines of “all react apps inevitably feel like react apps”, and I think maybe it’s not inherent to these frameworks but the frameworks do encourage certain patterns that just don’t have that “classic internet” feel.
Last edited by Autarch on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:17 am

That said, I’ve also had it up to here with a certain kind of artistic “brutalist web design”. The kind where you can tell it was made by a professional, I guess.

Autarch

Postby joe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:20 am

there was a really good katastroika post recently about the amazing chaos of the early internet despite the toxicity but i can't find it

joe

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:20 am

Going to bed but hope to update this thread soon

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:32 am

The thing that I love about these websites isn’t the aesthetic. It’s the personal nature of it and the sense of discovery. The sense that as you open each page on the site, you gradually discover more about this human being. You learn what their interests are, the names of the people most important to them, what kinds of people they associate with, how their life is going, their relationships. You just get to slowly piece together a real human being. Their voice—their personality—shines through their writing (often you get to read some pretty long chunks of prose, or even poetry) and through the choices they make in how to layout/decorate the site. You might even see pictures of where they live, their home, even their bedroom. It’s all very intimate. I love it.

On the lighter side, I love how most of these sites have a “links” page, which is just a page of links to their favorite websites. A lot of times it’s their friends’ websites, but you’ll also get a few links to just random sites like bbc or whatever.

Autarch

Postby RIXX » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:39 am

Gutslab wrote:stole these from another forum thread

Damn i am browsing the shit outta this website right now, could not type in the URL fast enough

My parents were correctly fascinated by ghost towns and so I visited them a lot as a kid, the one we went to the most was Bodie, the first time I went there I was freaked out just by the aura of death and decay of the place but I went with my family recently like a couple years ago and i fucking loved it. I also logged onto Grindr when i was there because I thought it’d be funny to find someone else on it in a ghost town in the middle of nowhere and ditch my family for twenty minutes and hook up behind a dilapidated cursed barn, but there was literally no one else in my area for 50+ miles. Oh and another time when I was younger my brother took a nail from Bodie and you aren’t supposed to take anything from Bodie or spirits follow you home and bring you bad luck, he eventually was convinced this happened and had my mom mail back the nail to Bodie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodie,_California

RIXX

Postby GODDESS ktrska » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 am

my dad has almost certainly met and talked with girlvinyl irl (they are both internet security professionals in the atlanta area) which always trips me out
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy. Welcome to my particular brand of insanity, 140 characters at a time...

GODDESS ktrska

Postby GODDESS ktrska » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 am

i have always really liked the personal wiki format for blogging and i've wanted to get one up and running for my own writing in the past

this is one from one of the original 4chan admins:

https://shii.bibanon.org/shii.org/knows ... _wiki.html

not necessarily, "personal", but the rotten library was a major piece of intellectual growth for me. like, it kindof reads like a left leaning maddox. dunno. it resonated with me at the time, still find the writing there to be pretty charming

https://www.gwern.net/docs/rotten.com/l ... index.html
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy. Welcome to my particular brand of insanity, 140 characters at a time...

GODDESS ktrska

Postby scrumptown » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 am

has my memory just turned to total mush or wasn't there some person with an impressively extensive personal wiki who (somewhat recently) registered an account here and did like some first contact sort of post lol

scrumptown

Postby k_uger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:34 am

they/he
Dann Woellert, author of “The Authentic History of Cincinnati Chili.”

k_uger

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:36 am

katastrati wrote:my dad has almost certainly met and talked with girlvinyl irl (they are both internet security professionals in the atlanta area) which always trips me out

That’s amazing. I’m kind of obsessed with her website. I kind of want to reach out and be like “to, your website is so inspiring” but I don’t wanna be weird. I love how part of her identity (at least back then) was like, being super into bsd. It makes me want to just become a bsd loyalist myself.

Autarch

Postby lefthandshake » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 am

lefthandshake

Postby laserblast » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 am

laserblast

Postby indigo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:31 am

https://randomuseless.info/

The personal site of a guy who has obsessively recorded the price per gallon every time he's bought gas since 1979. And some other stuff.

indigo

Postby lefthandshake » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 am

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/

the guy who's spent decades trying to visit every single starbucks location on earth

he once messaged me on okcupid but i didn't respond

lefthandshake

Postby indigo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:53 am

https://www.mexicolore.co.uk/aztecs/

Came across this site about the Aztecs the other day

indigo

Postby normal forest » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am

scrumptown wrote:has my memory just turned to total mush or wasn't there some person with an impressively extensive personal wiki who (somewhat recently) registered an account here and did like some first contact sort of post lol

yes I remember participating in this thread (and have no idea how to find it again)

normal forest

Postby DatLostMan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 am

literally, Websites of the Past
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"

DatLostMan

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 am

the owner of this website emailed me about something in 1998 and I love that it's still going with a HTML 1.0 design

http://thingsthatneverwere.com
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby woozy ducks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 am

woozy ducks

Postby hyperbole man » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 am

a few years ago i stumbled on a website like this that was like an extremely extensive list of ratings for what seemed to be 100+, maybe 200+ commercially available ginger beers. the website was very specific that they were rating them as drinks in and of themselves and not as mixers for alcohol. iirc it had a black background with tables with neon-backgrounded cells, very 90s/00s personal website look. i have struggled to find it again since.
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby woozy ducks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:47 am

i remember that site

you sure it wasn't root beer though?

woozy ducks

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....