Pro Wrestling: the thread

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby gambra » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:05 pm

The only person I'd be interested in out of that crew for AEW would be End/Black. They don't really need another big guy like Strowman. Lana is a day one signing given Miro is there.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Murphy is good hand. Omega mentioned liking him. I think he'd do well.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

buriedinspace

Postby Marx & Engels » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:40 pm

I'm sure Murphy would be enjoyable in the same way that, like, Matt Sydal has been but I dunno that AEW is in need of adding any more competent white singles guys who don't have a super high ceiling.

Black and Ruby Riott are the two "absolutely get em if you can" people in this crop imo

Marx & Engels

Postby scurrydog » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Wwe is real dumb.
Hard to figure out the logic in these choices.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Marx & Engels wrote:I'm sure Murphy would be enjoyable in the same way that, like, Matt Sydal has been but I dunno that AEW is in need of adding any more competent white singles guys who don't have a super high ceiling.

Black and Ruby Riott are the two "absolutely get em if you can" people in this crop imo

More Matt Sydals is entirely useful. Guys who can have fun matches on Dark/Elevation with young guys then occasionally pop up to lose in compelling TV matches with the upper midcard and above? They could 100% use like, 4 more of them. Right now Sydal and Kaz are the 2 I can think of. It's better than giving those roles to up and comers who's momentum gets squashed by it.

That said, I think he's got some reasonable potential above that. I don't see him as a main eventer but he could be a solid midcarder and the sort of guy who'd fit well as the b-side of a good tag team or as the 3rd/4th guy in a stable. You could argue they have plenty of those guys already but the dude can have really great matches, even in the WWE system.

That said, maybe New Japan is a better fit? He could be good in ROH too.

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:53 pm

But also, I remember going to a 2 day/3 show sort of joint promoted Chikara/women's promotion show where Ruby/Heidi headlined both, including a match with Kimber Lee for the Chikara Grand Championship and she fucking ruled.

Impact, AEW, NWA or anywhere should want her. She's great and has a ton of untapped potential.

buriedinspace

Postby smelts » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:10 pm

my understanding of the Braun thing is that they are likely getting ready to sell and as he's on a multi-year million dollar contract it's an easy way to trim the fat for a guy they don't want to put the belt back on but also don't want to keep paying out millions to be hanging out on the outskirts of the main event

I would think AEW would be pretty uninterested in bringing him in but with going up to 4 shows it's really hard to tell what they're looking to do/how much talent they're down to just pile in. It'd be interesting to see if a place like Impact or ROH were to grab him if it he could be a difference maker for those crowds?

Like personally don't really care what happens to Strowman but also he's definitely the weirdest piece of this puzzle. Like even if New Japan or AEW had cool plans for him, I feel like he'd be a real hard sell for those fan bases

Everybody else'll be fine though, happy for Tommy End and Lana that their nightmares are finally over. Murphy I think is gonna kill it in New Japan if it gets a chance there

Would be wild if AEW was just stockpilling these guys to debut like 3-4 new talent +Samoa Joe for the first ep of Rampage

smelts

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:20 pm

smelts wrote:Like personally don't really care what happens to Strowman but also he's definitely the weirdest piece of this puzzle. Like even if New Japan or AEW had cool plans for him, I feel like he'd be a real hard sell for those fan bases

He's an interesting fit for NJPW. Obviously he doesn't have the workrate they'd want but they've historically liked to have a monster foreigner or two. I could see them giving him a run to see what he could do.

Between him, Joe, Murphy, Black and maybe a few other released guys (plus their new relationships with Impact and AEW), I could see this years G1 having a bunch of surprises (if Japan is a little more under control this late Summer/early Fall)

buriedinspace

Postby lordofdiapers » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:20 pm

scurrydog wrote:Wwe is real dumb.

Personally dont really think a single one of these wrestlers is really interesting or popular in any way
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

<3

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby bobble » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Obviously I could do without ever seeing Braun again but wouldnt mind some stiff Suzuki or Ishii matches if he travels. I don't remember him having an indy career, is he a purely WWE product?

I love workrate but honestly I'm over writing folks off from WWE because I don't mind seeing guys get chances in new spots. It's weak to see Hawkins or Ryder in Impact because it feels like we were exactly right about them but it'd be tight to see Murphy blow up ROH or Impact or a Japan tour.

Been really enjoying Cass in Impact so who knows I guess lol

bobble

Postby 58769 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:03 pm

Braun is a pure WWE product. one of their most successful male products in recent times which is.....yeah

it's interesting to see "WWE getting ready for a sale" become the mainstream view. They've got an adult in the room (Nick Khan) who is certainly cutting a lot of the fat (Network, undoing the talent hoarding signings from 2018/2019) but I'm not sure they're going down the sale path. Yet.

ruby, murphy and black obvious targets for any company. Black could reunite his tag team with Hero and just go around the world when it reopens. I think any company should probably assume Braun probably ends up back in WWE in a couple of years time. dont know much about Garrett

Postby Double McDouble » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:10 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:
scurrydog wrote:Wwe is real dumb.

Personally dont really think a single one of these wrestlers is really interesting or popular in any way

Agreed. Strowman is definitely a surprise to see. He could maybe be an attraction in Japan if someone wants to take a chance on him but seems like too much of a WWE guy to succeed on the American independent scene. I guess I wouldn’t mind seeing Murphy show up in AEW to be a midcard enhancement guy who can have good matches? But yeah, none of them are going to get a big pop from me if they show up somewhere.
Double McDouble

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Black/End wouldn't be Rusev level big (much less Moxley) but I think he'd get a really respectable reaction if he showed up in AEW.

Strowman is sort of Moxley level in terms of how he was booked but he's definitely not an obvious fit in AEW. If he were released into mid 2000s TNA he'd be a perma-main eventer there tho

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 pm

And Impact would obviously still prob kill for him tbh but he'd not be a good fit there either (though Strowman vs Moose tho...?)

buriedinspace

Postby 58769 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 pm

ahahahah what a strange way to introduce Andrade

Postby bobble » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 pm

I'm a huge Vicki mark but how weird was that whole deal!!

I was expecting him to mention Triplemania but sounds like he might be All Elite!

bobble

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:02 pm

If not for the big news, that felt like a show very much in neutral.

Hopefully they can put together a fun card for the Saturday show, seems like the next time they'll not be somewhat mailing it in.

buriedinspace

Postby bobble » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 pm

Midnight in Jacksonville is a sad deal lol

bobble

Postby scurrydog » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:01 am

Andrade is an actual get for AEW.
Hopefully he doesn’t get lost in the shuffle of Wwe spillage.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby walt » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:49 pm

QT Marshall turning into a senselessly overconfident heel is actually real good

walt

Postby 58769 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:16 am

I enjoyed the feud tbh until Cody turned it into the stupid American dream thing. Thought the in-ring work was good, liked the Factory guys. hope it can be turned around but even if Ogogo gets his win back by knocking Cody out in a rematch, I'm not sure it will be enough.

Drifted in and out of the big Cyberfest show. Miyu Yamashita/Yuka Sakazaki was MOTN from what I saw, but Jun Akiyama/HARASHIMA was close. I missed the middle of Muto/Marufuji but somehow I don't think I missed much.

Okada did a 17 minute interview for the DOMINION match tonight where he buries the double title idea and Naito's reign and then buries the new belt. it's great: https://njpwworld.com/p/o_original_0248_04en (w subtitles)

Postby 58769 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:03 am

NJPW Spoilers

Shingo won. Great match. Challenges Ibushi for his first defence

I'm pretty sure he will then lose to Ibushi, and probably get knocked out of the G1 by Okada, and everyone will get mad, but he has basically taken Ospreay's run, for better or worse. Hopefully Gedo tweaks it, but if the plan is Okada/Ibushi for WK, which I've thought it was for awhile now, I don't see how Shingo retains.

Rest of the show was good. They're getting back on track, which was clear when Ospreay got the belt, but they need re-enforcements so badly
Toggle Spoiler

Postby shame dawg » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm

anyone got a rip of Dominion they wouldnt mind uploading? Would love to check it out this weekend

shame dawg

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Impact Against All Odds is Saturday with Omega vs Moose now live from Daily's Place (?) and Sami Callahan meets the winner at Slammiversary and faces The Good Bros Saturday with a mystery partner

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:22 pm

There appears to be a contingent on Twitter that are very upset that AEW could maybe sign Braun and I am... deeply ambivalent? I wouldn't be super excited and I think he'd not fit in with their top mix as well as a lot of folks but in the short term he'd be an okay attraction and used right he'd probably be an overall positive?

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 pm

The speculation comes from Mark Henry on his podcast saying he thinks there is mutual interest and as a friend of Braun's he's been pushing AEW to sign him.

It feels like some folks want to overcorrect on the TNA mistake of hiring WWE cast-offs (which was largely a problem when undercard guys came in and were pushed, bc of their name, to the main event) and on the fact that guys are able to succeed without size (which in this case, overcorrects to a point where being impressive looking shouldn't count as a major positive at all?)

Braun, with the right booking, as a third or forth from the top special attraction guy, seems like a thing they could give an honest shot to?

buriedinspace

Postby walt » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:35 pm

I mean i’d rather they didnt but if they do whatever. He’s a solid midboss. He could play a role they tried to give to hager and he couldnt take it. They maybe tried with wardlow but he works even less than hager. Right now in that role they have archer and i guess brian cage?

Speaking of cage - why the hell isnt ricky starks leading team taz? Give me more ricky, less machine.

walt

Postby Ron » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:55 pm

Starks has a neck injury.

Ron

Postby Ron » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:59 pm

I don’t know anything about Braun, as I don’t want WWE, but as someone who likes Cage and Archer, I don’t want someone coming in and taking their matches (Cage more than Archer). But I also don’t feel like Cage and Archer occupy the same space. Braun may be good to come in and just have battle of giants with Archer, but I don’t know that anybody would want that.

Ron

Postby smelts » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:58 pm

I'd be ok with Braun in like a midcard situation feuding with guys like Cody, Darby or Jungle Boy maybe if he was basically there to put other guys over, but I doubt they wanna pay what he's likely asking for to have a midcard guy, and I'm not really into the idea of having Braun Strowman all over the main event at AEW, although he is the degree of WWE guy that could potentially get nuclear heat with the AEW fanbase if booked right so who knows

overall though, AEW is a fun show that I like to watch, and having to watch Braun Strowman segments every week unless utilized really precisely well does not sound like fun. Not sure if/which of these guys have 90-day no competes, but I would say this might be a situation where it'd be worth waiting a few months so there's a little time off from his level of exposure on WWE and try and see if you can reboot the guy properly

but yeah would way prefer seeing Tommy End and Buddy Murphy get proper runs

any guesses on the debut next week?

smelts

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise