You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby warmjets » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 am

*exhales bong rip*

warmjets

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:22 am

warmjets wrote:I only got about 20 minutes in and If you are not going to be funny or interesting, at least have the facts straight. How do you start a podcast on Dick's Picks and not know when it ended. Sheesh.
Really feels like they are winging this but I’m happy to have it around

beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Ok I’m at the part where the one dude says he took a bathroom break to avoid the “boring” Miss Half-Step.
Cmon :x

Postby Althea » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm

I like Mitchum's Phish writing but I can't see what this adds to the understanding of the Dead. There's just so much intelligent work about like every aspect of their existence, and I have much headier straight cis white dudes than Stephen fuckin Hyden in my life to talk about Dick's Picks with.
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby Grand Epic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 am

Turned it off after about 25 minutes. I'll probably revisit the show in the future, but right now I'm listening to the Dead to Me podcast current episode and having a blast listening to them talk about Wake of the Flood and Keith singing "Sing Your Blues Away."

Grand Epic

Postby warmjets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:22 am

been easing my uncle into the dead over the past few years, finally sent him the cornell dew and he seemed to like it enough. but of course i'm like "how is your mind not blown?"

he always sends me allman bros stuff and obscure country so it's not like this is isn't reciprocal

warmjets

Postby bazookajodeci » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 am

are we still pretending d&c is better than jrad or nah

bazookajodeci

Postby Franco » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 am

Did we ever start?

Franco

Postby bazookajodeci » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am

dunno i've gotten into a bunch of arguments about that lately. looking forward to phil at the cap in march tho

bazookajodeci

Postby Franco » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:42 am

https://relix.com/articles/detail/dead-company-the-music-never-stopped/
By the by, Mayer did have some cool things to say in this recent story

Franco

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:00 am

Fuck this Scarlet Fire 5/17/77 Tuscaloosa Dave’s

Postby Grand Epic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 am

Has anyone ever made the argument for the Dead being the first post-rock band?

I ask tongue-in-cheek.

Grand Epic

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:40 am

Althea wrote:I like Mitchum's Phish writing but I can't see what this adds to the understanding of the Dead. There's just so much intelligent work about like every aspect of their existence, and I have much headier straight cis white dudes than Stephen fuckin Hyden in my life to talk about Dick's Picks with.
:lol:
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby Grand Epic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 am

beefbroth inthe shitpipes wrote:Fuck this Scarlet Fire 5/17/77 Tuscaloosa Dave’s

Listening now, really good.

What does everyone in the thread think about Nick Paumgarten’s favorite 11/30/80 “Scar>Fire”? I don’t think I’ve seen it discussed here.

Grand Epic

Postby Althea » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 am

I listened to it when the article came out, solid but not like best ever IMO, but an average-great Scarlet > Fire is a wonderful thing nonetheless. Also found his insistence on "Scar > Fire" to be endearing in a Don Don thread kinda way, it must be what his friend group used to call it and he just thought everybody called it that.

Althea

Postby Althea » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 am

I don't know if anyone watches David Lemieux's seaside chat Dave's Picks announcements, but he just posted this video that Rhino made him for his birthday compiling the best "Dave gets distracted by a bird" moments:

Althea

Postby bazookajodeci » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:57 am

Grand Epic wrote:What does everyone in the thread think about Nick Paumgarten’s favorite 11/30/80 “Scar>Fire”? I don’t think I’ve seen it discussed here.

This is solid. Not sure how I missed this one

bazookajodeci

Postby DizzyBusiness » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:47 am

Yall need to check out this new Dave's Picks 33.

Evans Field House, N. Illinois University, Dekalb, IL 10/29/77
Code: Select all
https://www57.zippyshare.com/v/PHu5SzMY/file.html
The backyard is bringing me down.
And the front one is freaking me out.

DizzyBusiness

Postby warmjets » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am

oh hell yeah, thanks!

warmjets

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:29 am

Dave’s 33 in DB. Flac

Postby warmjets » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:40 am

4/23/77 might be my favorite scar>fire. Love when Jerry belts out "well there ain't nothin wrong with the way SHE MOVES"

warmjets

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:54 am

Althea wrote:I don't know if anyone watches David Lemieux's seaside chat Dave's Picks announcements, but he just posted this video that Rhino made him for his birthday compiling the best "Dave gets distracted by a bird" moments:

I watch each Dave youtube before I listen to each Dave pick

Postby Grand Epic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 am

warmjets wrote:4/23/77 might be my favorite scar>fire. Love when Jerry belts out "well there ain't nothin wrong with the way SHE MOVES"

This band is an absolute joy.

Grand Epic

Postby warmjets » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:07 pm

It's been a while since I've read this lol

There's been a lot of talk lately about the legendary fake show on 5/8/77. I've kept my silence on the subject for 22 years ... now it's finally time to come clean on the whole subject.

The whole idea began back in late 1969/early 1970. The Department of Defense and the CIA were very disappointed by the way the Vietnam War was progressing. Not only were we losing but, more importantly, the US public did not approve of the war and, worse yet, weren't believing everything the military said about what was happening. This was an unprecedented event. Every other recent war was viewed positively by the public ... or at least with apathy in the case of Korea. Something had to be done. They decided to take a page from the Soviets and experiment with mind control. Together with Disney and a fledgling computer company called Microsoft, they set out to prove that brainwashing could really work on the very people who opposed
them: the hippies.

It isn't widely known but Cornell was actually the second test of these mind control procedures. The first occurred in mid-1975 and was a dismal failure. 2 major mistakes were made. First, they picked the one time that the Dead were not touring. This created all sorts of problems with the subject audience. The more serious mistake was in not updating the criteria of the experiment. Due to typical government inefficiency, they used the 1969 version of the Dead that was playing when the program was conceived. The sudden appearance of Pigpen, who had died 2 years earlier, literally blew the minds of those in attendance. 6 months were spent erasing all traces of the "show" and carefully rebuilding as much of their minds as possible. The subjects were eventually released and most of them became evangelists, their only lingering memory of the whole experiment being an unshakeable belief that they'd witnessed a true miracle.

Unfortunately, no tapes have been found from this first experiment. That's a real shame because the version of Dark Star->St Stephen->Eleven->Lovelight used was supposedly the best ever. After a few drinks, the original scientists still speak in awe about the music heard that day.

By Nov 1977, everyone was ready for the second test. This time, they learned from their mistakes. A small group of college students were hired to attend shows from 1976 through 1977. Our job was to collect tapes of the Dead's performances, select which tunes to use, and to help identify subjects for the upcoming experiment. The location and date were chosen with equal care. It was a off-day during the tour and the location close enough to the real concerts to be believed. Of more importance was the late snowfall that day. That unusual and easily confirmed event provided the glue that would hold the implanted memories together. Even now 22 years later, people "remembering" that concert use almost identical words to describe leaving the show.

Overall, the experiment was a great success. Of course, some people were given slightly different memories. Some, like Teddy Goodbear, "remember" taping the show and were even provided "Audience" tapes to further cement the hoax. Still others remember getting "horribly smashed" up front. None of this actually occurred.

A week after the "concert" experiment, a 2nd test was done on the town of Cornell itself. In order to perfect this hoax, the town itself must also be convinced that the concert took place. Disney had acquired owner- ship of all the local TV and radio stations through dummy corporations. Using special chips developed by Microsoft, they played sublimbminal messages to every man, woman and child in a 100 mile radius of Barton Hall. For the most part, this programming still holds today although some people did prove resistant to the message.

As far as the source of the music, for the most part the list posted by "brew ziggins" is correct. The only mystery remaining is the Scarlet-> Fire. That was actually performed by the Dead specifically for this experiment. Since Jerry worked for the CIA, it was easy to convince him and the rest of the band to go along. Plus he liked the idea of "pranking" a large group of people like this. The fabled 2/6/77 "take a step back" rehearsal tape is also from material taped for these experiments.

The soundboard tapes in circulation were leaked by Betty O'Connell who
edited the original tapes. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but they were leaked at about the same time as the tapes recorded by Betty Cantor were found. In any event, they became part of the so-called "Betty Boards". Leaking these tapes also provided the first cracks in the hoax to appear since the tapes were distributed to people who were not in the experiment and who knew that no show was performed that day. It was necessary to obtain their silence through blackmail, bribery and in extreme cases, mind control itself. That's also how this "show" came to be listed in all the popular Dead show guides like DeadBase.

So what's happened to these mind control techniques used in this experiment? Microsoft has used this power to become one of the biggest, most influential companies in history. They sure didn't become that big by providing quality products. It was used to shape public reaction to the Gulf War. It's also clear that George Bush never understood the full power of these methods. . There are also indications that this technology might explain the otherwise unbelievable popularity of rap music.

That's the whole story.

"BARTON HALL, ITHACA, NY 5/8/77 -- The Show That Never Happened"

Track listing Actual Source
------------ ---------------
1.Minglewood Blues [4:47] Winterland 3/20/77
2.Loser [7:30] Springfield 4/23/77
3.El Paso [4:22] Chicago 5/13/77
4.They Love Each Other [6:59] Lakeland 5/21/77
5.Jack Straw [6:00] Tempe 10/6/77
6.Deal [5:43] St. Paul 5/11/77
7.Lazy Lightnin' [3:29] > St. Louis 5/15/77
8.Supplication [4:21] "
9.Brown-Eyed Women [5:12] Winterland 6/8/77
10.Mama Tried [2:37] Seattle 9/29/77
11.Row Jimmy [10:52] Fox, Atlanta 5/19/77
12.Dancin' in the Streets [15:43] Pembroke Pines 5/22/77 (DP3)

Set II:

13.Scarlet Begonias [9:14] > ???
14.Fire on the Mountain [15:21] ???
15.Estimated Prophet [8:32] Passaic NJ 4/27/77
16.St. Stephen [4:43] > Mostly Passaic NJ 6/18/76
17.Not Fade Away [16:22] > with some tricky splicing of the
18.St. Stephen [1:53] > middle of an unidentified NFA
19.Morning Dew [13:36] Cow Palace 12/31/76

Encore:

20.One More Saturday Night [4:54] Springfield 4/23/77

[this is something I sent to David Gans after he announced that he
would be playing excerpts from this "show" on the Grateful Dead Hour.
Given the, ah, wide range of opinions elicited by this show, I figured
this would come in handy.]

OFFICIAL 5-8-77 COMPLAINT FORM

(please check all that apply)

Why are you wasting
[ ] your time
[ ] our time
[ ] precious FM bandwidth
...by playing 5-8-77?

Everybody on the planet already
[ ] knows that show is completely overrated.
[ ] has a copy.
[ ] is waiting to buy this show as a Dick's Pick.
[ ] owns the bootleg.
[ ] has figured out that the show never even happened.

When I listen to the Grateful Dead Hour, I want to hear
[ ] More Pigpen shows.
[ ] More Brent shows.
[ ] More Vince shows.
[ ] y dont U plays ome PHISH!!!!??

If you were going to play that show anyway, why didn't you play
[ ] The complete "Lazy Lightning/Supplication"?
[ ] My copy, which is A+++++++++++++ sound quality?
[ ] 5-9-77 instead?

Why didn't you include an interview with
[ ] Dennis McNally?
[ ] Rob Eaton?
[ ] Mickey Hart?
[ ] Phil's liver?
[ ] jeff .tiedrich?
[ ] Brew Ziggins?
[ ] Chyna Kate?

In the future, please refrain from playing:
[ ] Any show that we've already heard before.
[ ] Any show that is in any way "overrated".
[ ] Any show that is not a "classic".
[ ] Any show that is not from 1973.
[ ] Any show that didn't actually happen.

warmjets

Postby Althea » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:03 pm

Between minute 17 and minute 20 of this Dark Star I forgot I was listening to the Dead and checked my phone to see what krautrock side project I was listening to

https://archive.org/details/gd73-12-06.sbd.kaplan-fink-hamilton.4452.sbeok.shnf

Althea

Postby Althea » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Use Your Illusion-era Guns & Roses covering Dark Star would be a fuckin trip man

Althea

Postby jewels » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:51 am

Do you know where you are?
You’re in the dark star, minute seven, seven, seventeen.

I combined two GnR songs for this bit.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby gauchebag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:17 pm

i never heard dicks picks vol 4

it's the 50th anniversary

so i'm listening to the dark star now

far out, three near 30 minutes jams in a row? I guess one of them is drums though?

2/13/70

https://open.spotify.com/album/518Uq6B4 ... uVzVEA#_=_

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1970 ... urce=88525
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby k_uger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Althea wrote:Between minute 17 and minute 20 of this Dark Star I forgot I was listening to the Dead and checked my phone to see what krautrock side project I was listening to

https://archive.org/details/gd73-12-06.sbd.kaplan-fink-hamilton.4452.sbeok.shnf

one of my absolute favorites!!!!
guy forget wrote:it's hard to argue with the wheel

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:25 pm

this blew me away last night... not only does the Big Man provide amazing accompaniment hanging back with Brent (don’t expect Branford improv, this is quite different), but this Morning Dew is completely amazing even without him
guy forget wrote:it's hard to argue with the wheel

k_uger

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....