POTUS Trump Thread

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Every level of coded and uncoded racism in that exchange is directly attributable to the McCain campaign. Fuck John McCain, fuck Sarah Palin, fuck Steve Schmidt, fuck Rick Davis, fuck Nicole Wallace.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
User avatar
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck
 
Posts: 79291
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 pm
Location: Snoopy and Prickly Pete

Postby john plainman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 pm

remember when mccain blamed pulse on obama
User avatar
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?
 
Posts: 9081
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Postby Chyet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 pm

its weird that mccain is dead yet i still want to murder him
woke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
User avatar
Chyet
 
Posts: 11055
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Sundae Mournin'

Postby universe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:56 pm

I think what really sucks about that moment being turned into a moment of valor for McCain is that it was a really sad moment, like every aspect of it was just sad and depressing. That lady was really scared. Her fear of the "other" Obama was genuine. And McCain doing, like, the bare minimum to refute her wasn't a triumphant moment, it was complete defeat, for him and his campaign, for the country. It was an admission that we'd gone very far down a really depressing path, and I think people wanted to believe that McCain was standing in the breach to prevent it from going further, but in reality, he was just a speed bump and that lady's madness steamrolled over him and everyone else.

edit: and yeah, like Feech said, they tried to ride that wave until they couldn't anymore. He was in face-saving mode toward the end of the campaign when he realized he was going to lose.
Last edited by universe on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
universe
dad
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby Chyet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 pm

universe wrote:I think what really sucks about that moment being turned into a moment of valor for McCain is that it was a really sad moment, like every aspect of it was just sad and depressing. That lady was really scared. Her fear of the "other" Obama was genuine. And McCain doing, like, the bare minimum to refute her wasn't a triumphant moment, it was complete defeat, for him and his campaign, for the country. It was an admission that we'd gone very far down a really depressing path, and I think people wanted to believe that McCain was standing in the breach to prevent it from going further, but in reality, he was just a speed bump and that lady's madness steamrolled over him and everyone else.


I know i disagree w/ you on politics a lot but very astute very thoughtful. i do think mccain was revolted in that instance perhaps tho'. people are complicated
woke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
User avatar
Chyet
 
Posts: 11055
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Sundae Mournin'

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 pm

universe wrote:
Big Oil wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:Yeah, remember that time that John McCain did NOT grab the mic and give that woman a lecture on the history of immigration patterns of Arabs and other Ottoman subjects into the Americas over the last two centuries and their underrepresented and marginalized status in American political life. WTF!

what the hell are you talking about


He's saying the expectation that McCain should have or could have specifically addressed the woman's "Arab" comment in that moment and context probably isn't reasonable. And/or that due the fact that he didn't, we can assume it's because he agreed that Arabs are bad/un-American.

Sure. Ok. Whatever. I feel like there are some obvious logical fallacies and leaps in judgement there though. We can just not like John McCain because he did and said bad shit during this eighty-three years on the Earth without needing to dissect the time where he didn't specifically say that "good men" and Arabs were not mutually exclusive things. It just seems like unnecessarily nitpicky. I mean, this is a guy who just straight up said he will always hate "gooks," so like, pretty blatant how he thought and felt, right?
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
User avatar
Jabberwocky
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Postby loaf angel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 pm

you can hear the crowd start to boo him several times when he claims that Obama is a decent man
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
User avatar
loaf angel
 
Posts: 33933
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Jerklyn

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Yeah, that is a good post, Universe.
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
User avatar
Jabberwocky
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Postby universe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:Sure. Ok. Whatever. I feel like there are some obvious logical fallacies and leaps in judgement there though. We can just not like John McCain because he did and said bad shit during this eighty-three years on the Earth without needing to dissect the time where he didn't specifically say that "good men" and Arabs were not mutually exclusive things. It just seems like unnecessarily nitpicky. I mean, this is a guy who just straight up said he will always hate "gooks," so like, pretty blatant how he thought and felt, right?


I agree with you. I had to read your posts like three or four times to determine whether you were being sincere or sarcastic because this thread and world have lately ruined my capacity to tell the difference.
universe
dad
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:
universe wrote:
Big Oil wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:Yeah, remember that time that John McCain did NOT grab the mic and give that woman a lecture on the history of immigration patterns of Arabs and other Ottoman subjects into the Americas over the last two centuries and their underrepresented and marginalized status in American political life. WTF!

what the hell are you talking about


He's saying the expectation that McCain should have or could have specifically addressed the woman's "Arab" comment in that moment and context probably isn't reasonable. And/or that due the fact that he didn't, we can assume it's because he agreed that Arabs are bad/un-American.

Sure. Ok. Whatever. I feel like there are some obvious logical fallacies and leaps in judgement there though. We can just not like John McCain because he did and said bad shit during this eighty-three years on the Earth without needing to dissect the time where he didn't specifically say that "good men" and Arabs were not mutually exclusive things. It just seems like unnecessarily nitpicky. I mean, this is a guy who just straight up said he will always hate "gooks," so like, pretty blatant how he thought and felt, right?


so... why give him the benefit of the doubt
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
User avatar
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck
 
Posts: 79291
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 pm
Location: Snoopy and Prickly Pete

Postby mites » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm





Thanks Maggie!
User avatar
mites
 
Posts: 34602
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:41 pm
Location: Bmore

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm

like I guess I get what you're saying but it was an insanely high-profile moment that he got an endless amount of credit for, there's no reason not to call it out specifically
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
User avatar
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck
 
Posts: 79291
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 pm
Location: Snoopy and Prickly Pete

Postby Chester Minute » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 pm

universe wrote:I think what really sucks about that moment being turned into a moment of valor for McCain is that it was a really sad moment, like every aspect of it was just sad and depressing. That lady was really scared. Her fear of the "other" Obama was genuine. And McCain doing, like, the bare minimum to refute her wasn't a triumphant moment, it was complete defeat, for him and his campaign, for the country. It was an admission that we'd gone very far down a really depressing path, and I think people wanted to believe that McCain was standing in the breach to prevent it from going further, but in reality, he was just a speed bump and that lady's madness steamrolled over him and everyone else.

edit: and yeah, like Feech said, they tried to ride that wave until they couldn't anymore. He was in face-saving mode toward the end of the campaign when he realized he was going to lose.


I think he had, perhaps, more humanity than most politicians. But that's a very low bar. And maybe he hit a moment when he felt he need to dial it back. But he was dialing back his own horrific bullshit that he dialed up in the first place. And none of this is surprising now. He historically (pre- and post-) election never had a problem feigning a moment of post-politics but ultimately maintaining the status quo. It became a meme in the last few years but fuck if it wasn't spot-on. He wasn't wishy-washy, he wasn't a maverick, he was a guy who realized that throwing out these dumb little moments made people forget the actual damage he did on a day-to-day basis.
User avatar
Chester Minute
 
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Postby universe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't like McCain and am not interested in defending him, but there's something about the parsing of that one exchange that rubs me the wrong way. It feels like "you didn't build that" and the like. Like Jabberwocky said, there's enough to work with that's black and white that we don't need to bother with shades of gray.
universe
dad
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby Bride of Qualls » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 pm

if there's one thing i believe about mccain, it's that he definitely respected The Arab
User avatar
Bride of Qualls
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Postby Chester Minute » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 pm

universe wrote:I don't like McCain and am not interested in defending him, but there's something about the parsing of that one exchange that rubs me the wrong way. It feels like "you didn't build that" and the like. Like Jabberwocky said, there's enough to work with that's black and white that we don't need to bother with shades of gray.


No shades of grey here. He created that moment. He doesn't get credit for putting on a little show at the end.

His words may have been intended to convey "he's a good man" but they were in fact "no, he's not muslim, he's a good person"

The refutation of his alleged muslim faith is baked right in there.
User avatar
Chester Minute
 
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Postby Chester Minute » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Bride of Qualls wrote:if there's one thing i believe about mccain, it's that he definitely respected The Arab


Camus Can Do, but McCain is Smarter
User avatar
Chester Minute
 
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Postby universe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Classic Dog Avatar wrote:
universe wrote:I don't like McCain and am not interested in defending him, but there's something about the parsing of that one exchange that rubs me the wrong way. It feels like "you didn't build that" and the like. Like Jabberwocky said, there's enough to work with that's black and white that we don't need to bother with shades of gray.


No shades of grey here. He created that moment. He doesn't get credit for putting on a little show at the end.

His words may have been intended to convey "he's a good man" but they were in fact "no, he's not muslim, he's a good person"

The refutation of his alleged muslim faith is baked right in there.


I agree, the real offense is the comma splice
universe
dad
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby Chester Minute » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm

goddamnit
User avatar
Chester Minute
 
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Postby Chyet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 pm

The POW flag is some nasty, nasty bullshit

this reminded me how much i hate the POW flag
woke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
User avatar
Chyet
 
Posts: 11055
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Sundae Mournin'

Postby Chyet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 pm

VOTE 4 ME
woke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
User avatar
Chyet
 
Posts: 11055
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Sundae Mournin'

Postby loaf angel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 pm

the first POW flag was / is flown in my hometown
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
User avatar
loaf angel
 
Posts: 33933
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Jerklyn

Postby comet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 pm



Ok maybe I laughed at this one
User avatar
comet
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:27 am

Postby universe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 pm

I'm too exhausted from the various blue/red/olive lives matter color-line flag motifs to get mad at POW/MIA flags anymore.
universe
dad
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm

comet wrote:

Ok maybe I laughed at this one


oh my god
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
User avatar
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck
 
Posts: 79291
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 pm
Location: Snoopy and Prickly Pete

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Universe and I have found consensus and common ground. :)
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
User avatar
Jabberwocky
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Postby universe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 pm

his death was not in vain
universe
dad
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby tgk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Chyet wrote:
I know i disagree w/ you on politics a lot but very astute very thoughtful. i do think mccain was revolted in that instance perhaps tho'. people are complicated


He was revolted because he realized that he couldn't win by only tacitly supporting racism and not explicitly embracing it. GOP would have won in '12 if they'd gone MAGA on O instead of going with frickin Romney.
User avatar
tgk
 
Posts: 30835
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Chyet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Romney was indeed a blessing. thanks for picking a mormon willing to say he hated half of america, gop
woke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
User avatar
Chyet
 
Posts: 11055
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Sundae Mournin'

Postby Chester Minute » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 pm

tgk wrote:
Chyet wrote:
I know i disagree w/ you on politics a lot but very astute very thoughtful. i do think mccain was revolted in that instance perhaps tho'. people are complicated


He was revolted because he realized that he couldn't win by only tacitly supporting racism and not explicitly embracing it. GOP would have won in '12 if they'd gone MAGA on O instead of going with frickin Romney.


I don't think so. The vitriol toward Clinton is something even Obama never carried.
User avatar
Chester Minute
 
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 10cc, a is jump, AdamThomas, ahungbunny, all day breakfast, antoine, Architecture, ASH NERVE, average deceiver, benghost, bicycle made for two, blab, bluemovers, buriedinspace, calc, cartola, chairkicker, chargie, chowder julius, Christmas Ape, Clive, Cone, Cronos, Dad: The Boarder, DAT TRILL FRIEND FRITZL, Double McDouble, emotional fascism, endless dave, Enemy Ace, esmuydavista, Eyeball Kid, Feech La Manna, folkface, Franco, fury, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, goldsoundz, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, grace cathedral park, grass tacks, grayfox, Grendel, Grumby, guaranteed mediocrity, guy forget, Hal Jordan, hatertime, hbb, hired goon, hit record, iambic, inmate, iwillneverpost, KALM, Kaputt, kash attick, kayke, Kuboaa, landspeedrecord, launchpad, light rail coyote, loaf angel, lockheed, Magazine, Martin Lawrence Olivier, mego, Merciel, messier object, Milquetoaster Strudels, mondrary, my piano, naturemorte, Nice Pete, nosebleeds, npc, nvrmind, odilon redon, oh! it's max!, palmer eldritch, pantsoclock, Poptone, pzadvance, quadrivium, Quigley, rankoutsider, ripersnifle, sassafras socks, scrumptown, seafoam, sevenarts, shame dawg, shirts optional, shizaam, Shotfrog, shred igniter, Sobieski, southpaw, strange potion, surly, tea preacher, trigross, turquoise albino, unbiaseddairylodge, various artists, VHGisdead, virile, Viz, warmjets, Wolfsup, worrywort, wuk