Postby dubs » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 pm

No please keep using the cellphones and melt your fuckin brain
dubs

Postby hyperbole man » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 pm

hyperbole man
post/username

Postby bongo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 pm

fuck this shithole country
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Celiac Cruz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm

bongo wrote:fuck this shithole country
delgriffith wrote:Images aren't showing up, Celiac Cruz :( Looks like they're on a Dropbox and need to be hosted somewhere else (like imgur?)
Celiac Cruz

Postby super gas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 pm

super gas

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm

bongo wrote: let's give this shithole country a chance
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Didn’t someone hack into his mar a lago server using a friggin Pringle tube as an antenna just to show how shoddy his security is in general?
tim
whatabout tim

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 pm

I may have lost my mind
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:35 pm

I think I’m actually losing my ability to cope with all of this

I’m convinced it’s going to get really bad

like really really bad
Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:36 pm

what the fuck are we gonna do
Bad Craziness

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Might as well vote while we still can
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Franco » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Franco

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm

hyperbole man wrote:

hell yeah time to fire the fucking like 10 trans people who have jobs
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby dusky » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm

this shit is seriously making me lose my mind.
dusky

Postby Warranty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Sincere: start being intentional about the media you consume. Humans were not meant to process a torrent of negative information, which is what corporate media and social media provide. There have been points throughout recent American history that had as much, if not more, awful things happening. And that’s certainly true if you go back farther in American history. But we didn’t have the option of having a 24/7 live feed of all the worst things happening in real time

Social media does not reflect the real world, only the polarized version of it most profitable for tech monopolies. Intentionally tune some of that stuff out and seek out more longform journalism, especially local journalism and journalism about people organizing to improve their communities. And get involved in your local community, even if it’s in the smallest ways

There’s no way to follow current events and stay healthy without taking intentional steps like that
Warranty

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Warranty wrote:Sincere: start being intentional about the media you consume. Humans were not meant to process a torrent of negative information, which is what corporate media and social media provide. There have been points throughout recent American history that had as much, if not more, awful things happening. And that’s certainly true if you go back farther in American history. But we didn’t have the option of having a 24/7 live feed of all the worst things happening in real time

Social media does not reflect the real world, only the polarized version of it most profitable for tech monopolies. Intentionally tune some of that stuff out and seek out more longform journalism, especially local journalism and journalism about people organizing to improve their communities. And get involved in your local community, even if it’s in the smallest ways

There’s no way to be follow current events and stay healthy without taking intentional steps like that

this is good advice

don't feel guilty for being too empathetic to cognize every output of the atrocity machine
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I think it’s less of a general stress response to reading “bad news” and more of a specific intuition that we’re on the precipice of an irreversible outbreak of violence across the entire country

and I’m usually the optimistic one, so for my gut to provide that conclusion is really scary
Bad Craziness

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:07 pm

also idk while we're on the tone sincere in the POTUS thread train: if you are mad about the trans discrimination stuff please there are lots of ways to do something about it

it is hard to convey how utterly psychically and materially fucked as a population trans/gnc people are, it's unreal how bad it is out there, i can barely wrap my head around it. homelessness and suicide are at literally epidemic levels, nobody can get good healthcare (i read an article about how there is only one informed-consent hormone therapy clinic in the entirety of south carolina, and that people drive up from like georgia to see the doctors there), nobody has any money, there has been no statistical improvement in young people's LGBT mental health iirc basically since they started taking data, something like three-quarters of nonbinary kids report being unable to sleep, as far as i can tell the only way it'd be possible to have a more or less dignified life as a trans person is if you have remarkably open-minded and also very very wealthy parents who live in a nice city in a blue state, which is obviously not the case for most of us, and even then the elemental fuckedness of the experience of stuff like dysphoria will continue to be painful probably no matter what, excepting maybe in a society which doesn't make tons and tons of shame-free resources available to everyone starting at any age -- which is to say in an almost impossibly better society, one i can't really imagine existing, certainly not in my lifetime in the united fucking states

idk this is the link if you want to donate to trans lifeline https://www.translifeline.org/donate which is a good hotline. black and pink is a great org with a lot of chapters that sets people up with incarcerated lgbtq pen pals, there's probably one in your area. idk idk idk it's so bad, it's been so bad for a long time, it might not have to be bad forever
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby brent » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:08 pm

the next 13 days are going to be pure fucking hell
brent

Postby Warranty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm

I take a longview of American history. The 1960s had EXTENSIVE political violence, completely beyond anything we’ve seen the past few decades

We’ve been here before, and worse. People still created movements and won longterm change

It is scary to be in that kind of political moment again, but there’s a lot to learn from past movements that succeeded under much worse conditions. And there’s comfort in knowing none of this is unprecedented

When I disengage from social media and focus on what people are actively doing to improve our situation, my perspective and intuition changes
Warranty

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 pm

i forget whether it was in 68 or 72 that more college students said they identified with che guevara than with either candidate lol
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby Warranty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Also I think it’s OK and completely natural to feel overwhelmed and scared given the situation

At least for me, it’s a sign to step back and take some time to reorient how I engage with media and politics. Ive never actually missed anything when I’ve skipped out on a few cycles of the profit driven social media machine telling me what I need to be furious and in despair about
Warranty

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Uhhh

Chris Hayes
Chris Hayes
@chrislhayes

So apparently the sticker on the bombs said "Git Er Done" in a faux ISIS font with silhouetted mudflap ladies? What the hell
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Franco » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks alaska
Franco

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Warranty wrote:I take a longview of American history. The 1960s had EXTENSIVE political violence, completely beyond anything we’ve seen the past few decades

We’ve been here before, and worse. People still created movements and won longterm change

It is scary to be in that kind of political moment again, but there’s a lot to learn from past movements that succeeded under much worse conditions. And there’s comfort in knowing none of this is unprecedented

When I disengage from social media and focus on what people are actively doing to improve our situation, my perspective and intuition changes

yeah the 1960s sucked but how about the 1890s
palmer eldritch

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

1860s were p wild too tbh
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

I think about the Red Shirts a lot lately
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm

alaska wrote:1860s were p wild too tbh

can't believe we had a tall ass president
palmer eldritch

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 pm

plus a guy named "horatio" ran for president
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 pm

brent wrote:the next 13 days are going to be pure fucking hell

i'm not sure how to make it through
emotional fascism

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....