Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jewels » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm

born digital is a phrase I learned today
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm

:ugeek:
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm

perfect
chowder julius

Postby GonzO))) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:35 pm

coop wrote:

I know this is the millionth example and it will never make sense or ever not rock us to our core when we actually think about it for more than 2 seconds but Jesus fucking Christ we made this stupid fuck creature president

My dad’s a huge Obama fan and we just had this conversation about how every president in our lifetimes and probably every other president we’ve ever had, has a few anecdotes that endear them to the public, like things that are universally good or even with the worst of them, at least a little bit inspiring. It’s super depressing that Trump has, as far as either of us were able to find, nothing like this in his past whatsoever. Like even Bush was ‘good’ at comforting people in horrifying states of trauma. With trump though the only things that spring to mind are him being disgusted by an 80 year old man falling and busting his head open and choosing to ignore it the best he could; or like, that thing about how the only donation anyone could find that the trump foundation ever gave was $12 to the Boy Scouts of America and then everybody found out that it was the cost of Eric’s enrollment fee or something; that picture of Don jr. at a White Castle holding the transparent/free water cup that was clearly filled with soda; those multiple confirmed times at the Miss Teen USA pageant where he repeatedly walked into the contestants’ dressing area to linger around and try to catch a glimpse of a naked teenage girl or two; the (I think?) 20 different women accusing him of rape.

This might seem like a dondon but I literally can not think of a single endearing thing about this monster and that’s fucking horrifying. The closest I could come up with was him doing a McDonald’s commercial and in lieu of payment he just requested a special credit card that would net him free McDonald’s for life, and to a much lesser extent his appearance in Home Alone 2. Both of those things are pretty scary too though so I don’t feel like you can really count them.

Objectively speaking, do any of you know a single instance of genuine kindness or warmth that one could point to and say was a good thing that actually helped anyone or made their lives better?
GonzO)))

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:37 pm

like, period, or wrt trump?
chowder julius

Postby tgk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Don't forget he smacked don jr in the face in front of jrs freshman college buddies
tgk

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Actual lols @ McDonald’s credit card
Shotfrog

Postby Buddy Glass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Well, Trump hasn't killed a million Iraqis yet unlike the guy that was better at consoling people
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby guy forget » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Digitization is great and the work I do would be literally impossible without it. I can’t imagibe how historians did their work even twenty years ago, let alone fifty.

Digitization at the expense of physical archives is bad. Not just because I really do think the idea of a digital dark age is worth paying attention to, but also because physical archives are useful in their own right. Patterns and insights are gleaned looking at docs in person that cannot be replicated digitally. Searching via keywords and Boolean searches miss things. Lara Putnam wrote about the silences in digital archives very conpellingly in an article for the AHR a couple years ago.

But more importantly, it’s the lack of archivists that’s worrisome to me. Speaking in person to someone who knows the collections, understands what might be of use to a project that might not immediately jump out at a researcher from a finding aid, this is a crucial part of the archival experience. And my understanding is that the Obama Library will be an archive without archivists.

So I’m pro digitization, but as a complement to physical records, not replacement. I dunno what you do about born digital stuff but my dumb knee jerk reaction is to say: print copies of everything!
guy forget

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Big Oil wrote:
Feech La Manna wrote:

Obama... he sucks

Feech La Manna wrote:That's some "why do we need libraries when google exists" shit

guy forget wrote:Yeah it’s bad

I'm curious to hear guy's take on this, because as someone who has also spent literally years of my life in archives and saw the dividends of mass digitization over the course of my grad school career I think digitization is unequivocally a good thing and helps democratize access in a major way, so I'm baffled by these reactions. You shouldn't need a grant or the largesse of some research university and months or years of spare time to access historical sources. The article raises a few what-if scenarios about access to related documents and the potential for bad organization, but of course there are potential pitfalls and those ones would be present regardless of digitization (most physical archives are astonishingly poorly organized!).

Digitization is good if properly cataloged and curated. What came out today makes it sound like that's what they're skimping on.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Chyet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:Well, Trump hasn't killed a million Iraqis yet unlike the guy that was better at consoling people

think they were intentionally scare-quoting GW and I get their point-but yeah, don't think I could drink a beer w/ GW w/o breaking a bottle and going for his neck
broke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
Chyet

Postby surly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:03 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:Well, Trump hasn't killed a million Iraqis yet unlike the guy that was better at consoling people

At this point in that person’s presidency, he hadnt either!
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby tgk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:14 pm

surly wrote:

At this point in that person’s presidency, he hadnt either!

fuuuuuuuuck
tgk

Postby the scofflaw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 pm

GonzO))) wrote: Objectively speaking, do any of you know a single instance of genuine kindness or warmth that one could point to and say was a good thing that actually helped anyone or made their lives better?

Umm showing off that strong presidential arm chucking paper towels in Puerto Rico
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.
the scofflaw

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:21 pm

that obama center is probably going to brag about being the first presidential center to not accept cash or some shit
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 pm

my plans to visit the obama library are ruined
palmer eldritch

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm

presidential libraries are all fake
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:33 pm

the national archive oversees all presidential papers housed at the presidential libraries so like it's not a big deal
chowder julius

Postby KALM » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:36 pm

i don't think i've ever really understood the idea of a presidential library
KALM

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:36 pm

it is kind of sad that correspondence is all just emails now. reading old emails doesn't sound quite so romantic as leafing thru handwritten letters but an archive is not a place for sentiments
chowder julius

Postby conductor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:39 pm

chowder julius wrote:an archive is not a place for sentiments

Is this the librarian equivalent of "there's no crying in baseball!"?
conductor

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:40 pm

probably, actually

it's about preserving things in a way that is accessible to others decades from now. printing a website and sticking it in a folder ain't it
chowder julius

Postby Chyet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:44 pm

perhaps we could institute Presidential Affordable Housing
broke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
Chyet

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:44 pm

chowder julius wrote:the national archive oversees all presidential papers housed at the presidential libraries so like it's not a big deal

I guess if NARA is going to dedicate a staff to it it’s not as big a deal.

Apparently most professional staff at other presidential libraries are actually NARA employees? I did not know that.
Last edited by Feech La Manna on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 pm

trump let that kid mow his lawn
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby guy forget » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Me neither!
guy forget

Postby guy forget » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm

chowder julius wrote:probably, actually

it's about preserving things in a way that is accessible to others decades from now. printing a website and sticking it in a folder ain't it

Serious question: How are digital archives any more a guarantor of preservation than papers sitting in folders (sitting in properly temperature controlled spaces)?
guy forget

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm

they don't burn down or fall apart for one. paper disintegrates over time no matter what you do. so do digital files but it's a different thing
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:53 pm

probably like 10% of obama's papers existed as physical copies prior to existing in a digital format. that's important metadata for future scholars!
chowder julius

Postby guy forget » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 pm

I guess I just have no faith in current technological standards being maintained indefinitely and while preservation of old documents isn’t my number one concern it is A concern
guy forget

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....