Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:38 pm

DasLofGang wrote:i know it's been said a jajillion times before but the last decade plus of right wing news orgs essentially cult-ifying their consumers by enticing them, somehow, to tune out any and all other sources of information in their lives in favor of this version of reality has had a mass brainwashing effect that feels kind of unprecedented no matter how tempted i am to think there's nothing new under the sun

it's like that thing cults do when you join them where you're not allowed to talk to your family anymore or whatever, surely there's a name for this phenomenon

Yeah this is the X factor in almost every optimistic scenario I come up with
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Fox etc is not new in terms of concept but probably is new in terms of scale

guy forget

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:41 pm

yeah the concept isn't novel but the penetration it's achieved is staggering

i know and know of way too many people who were formerly normal and have since had brain slugs attached
You remind me of Don Knotts.

DasLofGang

Postby badhat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:42 pm

virile wrote:
badhat wrote:
virile wrote:damn what could he still do to lose that 38 though like does he have to get his balls out on tv or whatever

i honestly think they could just lose interest

like... he thinks and acts and governs in terms of neilsen ratings. i can see him losing them the same way.

but you gotta figure those people would need to be getting news from a source that isn't fox news and email forwards..

i dunno. i wouldnt stake anything on it but i do sort of have a vague hopefulness that theres a non-zero portion of energetic deplorables who are engaged with trump they way theyre engaged with reality TV over a span longer than 3-4 years could just lose interest in the show.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:43 pm

KA Applegate was right all along

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:43 pm

But not about the Andalites, sadly

guy forget

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:43 pm

television was really what did us in, I think

the internet, once cool, is full of trash now but it's a bump in the road compared to tv in terms of ruining how people think and perceive

DasLofGang

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:44 pm

badhat wrote:
virile wrote:
badhat wrote:
virile wrote:damn what could he still do to lose that 38 though like does he have to get his balls out on tv or whatever

like... he thinks and acts and governs in terms of neilsen ratings. i can see him losing them the same way.

but you gotta figure those people would need to be getting news from a source that isn't fox news and email forwards..

i dunno. i wouldnt stake anything on it but i do sort of have a vague hopefulness that theres a non-zero portion of energetic deplorables who are engaged with trump they way theyre engaged with reality TV over a span longer than 3-4 years could just lose interest in the show.

I want to be with you on this but I don’t see anything that points to this story being true
Last edited by guy forget on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guy forget

Postby virile » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:44 pm

badhat wrote:
virile wrote:
badhat wrote:

has there even been a reality show this vomit-inducing though? like this guy isn't just a banal kardashian show or whatever where nothing happens. he is pure fucking evil.

virile

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:44 pm

hey everybody, just checking in here from 9th grade

DasLofGang

Postby scrambled » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 pm

reagan's approval rating skyrocketed after he survived the assassination attempt, i think, right?

scrambled

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:47 pm

scrambled wrote:reagan's approval rating skyrocketed after he survived the assassination attempt.

and the press spent the rest of his life utterly kissing his ass

DasLofGang

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:50 pm

DasLofGang wrote:television was really what did us in, I think

the internet, once cool, is full of trash now but it's a bump in the road compared to tv in terms of ruining how people think and perceive

I’d say it was CNN specifically, but if I remember the book right Jill Lepore basically agrees with you. Also Perlstein too I guess in terms of Nixon and conservatism.

guy forget

Postby badhat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:03 pm

a corporate enterprise of 24/7 news delivery and ratings battles was destined to lead to this

badhat

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:04 pm

To think how different things could have been if Monday Nitro ended up winning the Monday Night Wars

guy forget

Postby badhat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:06 pm

guy forget wrote:
badhat wrote:

I want to be with you on this but I don’t see anything that points to this story being true

bear in mind we dont need everyone. if 10-15 percent of the 38% got bored with the trump show, that’d get it cancelled.

badhat

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:06 pm

guy forget wrote:I agree with all this. But supporting Trump, even reluctantly, feels like crossing some kind of mental rubicon from which one can only blame The Other for any problems that arise, from relations cutting you off to total systemic collapses.

a few data points:

1. the lowest approval ratings of donald trump's presidency came after charlottesville. the second lowest came in the middle of the december/january 2017-18 shutdown.
2. the furthest behind he fell against hillary was after he feuded with the Khan family
3. 18% of voters in 2016 liked neither hillary nor trump. two-thirds of them voted for him. if they all liked him now his approval ratings would be substantially higher

like yeah most trump supporters are on board with his bullshit. but enough people support him in spite of it: because they're assholes who will overlook 'distastefulness' if it gives them a tax break, because they know both parties are out to fuck them and thought trump would at least shake things up, because they bought into his moderate cosplay on medicare/social/etc. a lot of people voted for him who rarely think about politics at all!

none of this really makes me feel better but i don't like the pedestaling of trump as this lv 99 superboss, it gives him and his people too much credence and is the same impulse that centers white supremacy in all of our political reporting and conversation

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:09 pm

struttin' evil mushroom wrote:i don't like the pedestaling of trump as this lv 99 superboss

i think it's just that his whole existence is unmitigated horribleness ft. zero consequence for any of it

DasLofGang

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 pm

I hear you and very much appreciate you putting numbers to and against my handwringing.

Just to be clear, I def don’t think Trump is anything close to a “lvl 99 super boss,” but I do think him or any similar avatar of right wing fear and white supremacy is extremely difficult to overcome in an election now that the GOP is openly backing white nationalism and fascism.

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:11 pm

In a sense, Trump is sort of the boss level of the whole American experiment

guy forget

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:13 pm

putting lv 99 superboss in quotes is an insanely sick burn and i need to re-evaluate my life

also i'm under no delusion that trump will be easy to beat. but if the economy goes to hell he will be much easier to beat and the dem would be widely favored (and in response you would see uhhhhhhhh the last few years of voter suppression on mf steroids)

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby palmer eldritch » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:14 pm

lvl 99 super boss

palmer eldritch

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:15 pm

thank u

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby badhat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 pm

of course the counter-argument to my argument is reality tv quiet-part-loud donald as a useful idiot tool of the imperialist robber barons is in fact an american inevitability and we’re fucked

badhat

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:22 pm

proud, strong, brave, independent Americans: "oh fuck yes fire me daddy take away my kids' doctor"

DasLofGang

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:22 pm

struttin' evil mushroom wrote:
like yeah most trump supporters are on board with his bullshit. but enough people support him in spite of it: because they're assholes who will overlook 'distastefulness' if it gives them a tax break, because they know both parties are out to fuck them and thought trump would at least shake things up, because they bought into his moderate cosplay on medicare/social/etc. a lot of people voted for him who rarely think about politics at all!

Jokes aside this is a good point and something I’ll think more on

And I’m Curious what you meant by this:

and is the same impulse that centers white supremacy in all of our political reporting and conversation

Shouldn’t WS be at the center of it all?

guy forget

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 pm

instead of talking about how small his hands are, it should be talked about how soft they are, from never having worked a day in his life

god dammit why do the biggest shitheel people all eat this stuff up ahhhhhhhhh :ryan:

DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm

sorry rough afternoon

DasLofGang

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:30 pm

my argument which is admittedly a bit more half-assed than the rest of it is that when we turn Trumpism into this inchoate force that captures everyone remotely in its orbit, it's not that much of a stretch to get to, e.g., jake tapper's entire career where basically status-quo white supremacist ideals are seen as reasonable or the fact that trump voter in a diner profiles are written at literal orders of magnitude more than Black voters in milwaukee who stayed home profiles

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby guy forget » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Yeah I gotcha

guy forget

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....