Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:59 pm

come on man
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 pm

light rail coyote wrote:my thoughts aren't super coherent on this yet because i'm pissed off and not articulate but the TL;DR version is that based on my experience, internment camps for the homeless actually does not seem far fetched to me based on our current trajectory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sacer
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ
Sissy Spacerock

Postby easy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

and that stable hand belomgs to none other than grampy bloodeye
easy
does it

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Another completely thought through comic.

dog diarrhea in my beard
Frank

Postby villalobos » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 pm

bengarr's only good comic
villalobos

Postby joe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:24 pm

light rail coyote wrote:
anti-homeless activism is one thing that kind of terrifies me because of how overtly violent its become and honestly it's kind of surprising that few federal level officials have thought to use that the way they use immigration and stuff. there's a group in seattle called safe seattle that has been inciting a lot of anti-homeless stuff with pretty explicitly violent language and were huge proponents of that "seattle is dying" documentary that they talked about on citations needed this week. in portland, a lot of YIMBY groups have pushed the city to adopt these "enhanced service districts" that are basically just trojan horses for allowing private security forces to go in and harass campers; a few weeks ago a homeowner set a homeless dude's tent on fire. it doesn't need to become militarized, because it already is, it just needs a national infrastructure in place

Eagle Rock (near Pasadena) department of commerce chair has become a big local anti-transit advocate. His son and another started a huge brush fire trying to murder some homeless people a couple weeks ago: https://www.lataco.com/son-of-eagle-rocks-chamber-of-commerce-president-among-the-suspects-arrested-in-eagle-rock-brush-fire-intentionally-set-near-homeless-encampment/
joe

Postby badhat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:34 pm

light rail coyote wrote:
this isn't a super high priority but since I see it all day at work, one compounding problem is that almost all of the NGO's that do homeless advocacy are focused pretty exclusively on "educating" people about the realities of homelessness and "sharing stories about their experiences," and while there's certainly room for that it ignores that most of the pushback has nothing to do with people not being educated and everything to do with the fact that anti-homeless groups have a desired political outcome that will just always be different than ours, combined with the fact that the "stories" that do get told are so sanitized that the realities of how inhumane homelessness actually is or how it's a structural failing that goes beyond the individual completely gets lost. any kind of actual structural change feels impossible because the people funding support services also just don't give a shit

honestly a year in the bay area really did a lot to sap my remaining faith in NGOs and NPOs as change agents bc what you consistently saw across social services orgs like affordable housing and homelessness groups in particular, was all the fucking tech companies packing boards and writing big (for nonprofit) sponsorship checks and thereby really at best, setting the guardrails and at worst absolutely dictating the terms of the debate, which meant that root cause things like... the tech industry itself are completely off the table and nothing is advocated for that would run counter to the interests of the tech companies.

it made me look back and reconsider the extent to which thats always true, but for Silicon Valley it was egregious. i was cold knocking on doors and walking out with checks for 5 grand and people wanting board seats and at first it was like, oh how philanthropic and then you go, they have enough money to keep our lights on without even thinking about it, how the fuck are we supposed to be advocating for root cause issues.

ugh.

my wife worked for a housing NPO and it was so so much worse. and yeah. so were the homeless services orgs.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.
badhat

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 pm

wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 pm

badhat wrote:
light rail coyote wrote:
this isn't a super high priority but since I see it all day at work, one compounding problem is that almost all of the NGO's that do homeless advocacy are focused pretty exclusively on "educating" people about the realities of homelessness and "sharing stories about their experiences," and while there's certainly room for that it ignores that most of the pushback has nothing to do with people not being educated and everything to do with the fact that anti-homeless groups have a desired political outcome that will just always be different than ours, combined with the fact that the "stories" that do get told are so sanitized that the realities of how inhumane homelessness actually is or how it's a structural failing that goes beyond the individual completely gets lost. any kind of actual structural change feels impossible because the people funding support services also just don't give a shit

honestly a year in the bay area really did a lot to sap my remaining faith in NGOs and NPOs as change agents bc what you consistently saw across social services orgs like affordable housing and homelessness groups in particular, was all the fucking tech companies packing boards and writing big (for nonprofit) sponsorship checks and thereby really at best, setting the guardrails and at worst absolutely dictating the terms of the debate, which meant that root cause things like... the tech industry itself are completely off the table and nothing is advocated for that would run counter to the interests of the tech companies.

it made me look back and reconsider the extent to which thats always true, but for Silicon Valley it was egregious. i was cold knocking on doors and walking out with checks for 5 grand and people wanting board seats and at first it was like, oh how philanthropic and then you go, they have enough money to keep our lights on without even thinking about it, how the fuck are we supposed to be advocating for root cause issues.

ugh.

my wife worked for a housing NPO and it was so so much worse. and yeah. so were the homeless services orgs.

i got a talkin' to after our last all staff meeting because our executive director asked us to write down any budgeting questions that we had and mine was "how much is a board member's salary and how many hours a month do they work?" because we were told that we aren't even allowed to offer coffee to our clients anymore while our development director apparently spent $500 on a tablecloth to use at fundraising events and half of our board members don't even seem to understand what we actually do.

obviously the real answer is that philanthropy has always been a lie that's mostly about padding resumes and getting tax breaks, but it's really disheartening when you're in it because all of our frontline staff is very good at what they do but we basically can't accomplish anything because every grant we have is just for, like, small amounts of move-in assistance that's so means-tested that 90% of the people who come into our office don't qualify for, and in the miraculous event that they do qualify for something, they get evicted within a year because a subsidy into the private market just means getting exploited by a shitty landlord with no legal recourse. meanwhile, we can't actually do anything about this because so many of our grants are funded by "good" landlords and rental management companies or other people who won't pay higher taxes or wages to their employees, so even when we do legislative advocacy it's always this bullshit stuff like, "let's do a .5% fee on document recording to fund the state housing trust fund so that we can give 20 people rental assistance each month," or "let's fight to give tax breaks to developers who pinky swear that they'll build affordable housing!" because we're not even allowed to touch anything that's genuinely re-distributive.

it's all bad and i'm going to just take up smoking again until i die.
light rail coyote

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Lrc have you read winners take all
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby dubs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am

Really leaning into the tweets overnight and this morning. Even got a Trump 2024 campaign sign slipped in there. Ha. Ha.
dubs

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 am

I AM LEGITIMATELY SHAKEN
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby screaming emphysema » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 am

mcwop23 wrote:

wait til you see what daycare costs!
screaming emphysema

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 am

lol
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 am

tgk

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 am

Wait, did cops fight protesters on 9/11?
tim
whatabout tim

Postby jack » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am

hell yeah. want to see that cop bless america by slaughtering a bunch of americans
jack

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am

apparently its from a super bowl ad for a clothing company that never aired
tgk

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:25 am

Without sound it looks like he is just using a purge trailer.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Sam Bash » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:27 am

I believe those people were just vying to be the first to thank him for his service
Sam Bash

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 am

whatabout tim wrote:Wait, did cops fight protesters on 9/11?

you don't remember antifa dancing in the streets on 911? shameful
Dead_Wizard

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:49 am

nice that it's a latino cop, at least
incoherent grunting

Postby coop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am

wow
coop

Postby easy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am

wow!
easy
does it

Postby easy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am

but they promised...!!
easy
does it

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 am

north carolina get your shit together
tgk

Postby Bartatua » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am

easy wrote:but they promised...!!

i thought we could trust them!
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am

lmfao suck it, dumbocrats
incoherent grunting

Postby dragon jeans » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am

republicans are....... bad????
dragon jeans

Postby toots » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

civil war now
toots

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....