Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

property make u crazy
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby draw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Sissy Spacerock wrote:
Big Oil wrote:
tgk wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1174028929214140418[tweet]

This is straight up eliminationist shit and half of registered Democrats are probably going to “begrudgingly” agree he’s got a point.

i walk around central LA like a Fucking Lot and it feels like about a third of the unprompted conversations i have with strangers involve the casual invocation of liquidation of the unwanted

i'd wager that nearly all of these people are Ds for aesthetic reasons if nothing else

it was always like this to some extent but the eagerness to offer up Final Solutions has become palpable

this kind of thinking (and how omnipresent it is) has singlehandedly made me give up on imagining the world could be better

draw

Postby draw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:05 pm

"oh you think the homeless here are more aggressive than in New York, riveting shit my man"

draw

Postby saranclaps » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:22 pm

loaf angel wrote:
Ted Pikul wrote:

he's gotta just be doing this for the attention at this point
how does someone from the valley sound like the biggest new york anti-semitic stereotype?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm

What I’d do to see scumbag Lewandowski in cuffs
tim

whatabout tim

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm

draw wrote:
Sissy Spacerock wrote:
Big Oil wrote:
tgk wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1174028929214140418[tweet]

This is straight up eliminationist shit and half of registered Democrats are probably going to “begrudgingly” agree he’s got a point.

i walk around central LA like a Fucking Lot and it feels like about a third of the unprompted conversations i have with strangers involve the casual invocation of liquidation of the unwanted

i'd wager that nearly all of these people are Ds for aesthetic reasons if nothing else

it was always like this to some extent but the eagerness to offer up Final Solutions has become palpable

this kind of thinking (and how omnipresent it is) has singlehandedly made me give up on imagining the world could be better

i make a variation of this post every 2 weeks or so, but yeah, this is something that depresses me on a pretty regular basis.

we have a constant humanitarian crisis that's always around us, and the reaction from the section of the political spectrum that's nominally in favor of social/economic/racial justice is increasingly hard to differentiate from the far-right at this point. a lot of it points to how pervasive classism really is in general, but i think there's some deeper stuff here. most liberal anti-poverty solutions are still based on a type of social engineering- education! job training! poor kids only hear so many words!- where we're still assuming that the problem is these broken people who need to be fixed and allowed to participate in the market as opposed to viewing them as debris caused by an illogical system that's built to lead to said outcome. it's not that dissimilar from GOP rhetoric, it's just that the GOP wants to provide those things by throwing homeless people to the wolves and arresting anyone who doesn't pull themselves out of it, while liberals want to provide some subsidies for people that use them and arrest anyone who doesn't. both are designating a deserving poor vs. and undeserving poor, both are dealing with the existence of the latter by throwing them in jail, it's just that one will claim to give everyone a chance before going that route.

the "people are D's for aesthetic reasons" is something of a different conversation but my experience with portland democrats is that there's some truth to this, where it's a group affiliation that's based more on "i'm not one of those dumb republicans that they make fun of on the comedy show i watch" than it is any kind of political commitments. i don't think that categorically describes democrats and i don't know how much impact this group has, but it's definitely a thing. obviously there's a strain of that on the left (i don't think it's exclusive to any political persuasion; there's rot everywhere) but i also think it doesn't get mocked as much as it does when it's coming from the far left/right.

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm

love that sparkling Kevin D. prose
Last edited by Feech La Manna on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm

You idiots don't even know that the Founders wanted the 50 states to duke it out

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm

obama_kitesurfing.jpeg

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby my piano » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:

lol when the electoral college was originally spun up the idea was that in the majority of elections it wouldn't be able to choose a clear winner (this being before political parties - kind of a big oversight), and the selection of president would then default to the house. this take is completely backwards even on its own merits.
loss and gain

my piano

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm

light rail coyote wrote:we're still assuming that the problem is these broken people who need to be fixed and allowed to participate in the market as opposed to viewing them as debris caused by an illogical system that's built to lead to said outcome.

"Homelessness," as a brand, has a few prevailing popular imaginings, and they without fail appeal to stockholm syndrome capital pawns' preconceived notions of winners and losers:

"crazy ladies," street pissers and shitters, surplus non-whites, the wrong kind of military veteran, "drug addicts," "creepy old guys," "criminals"

lots of Them, certainly none of Us

"Homelessness" is effectively treated as a race/class unto itself in this popular imagination: smother the other in a grime-tinged Starter Pak and pad out the details of the correctness of the unperson's Rightful Fall as an afterthought

there isn't the tendency to imagine the ease with which one's own trajectory might lead to precarity, to loss, to ostracization. there's a total disconnection.

the "people are D's for aesthetic reasons" is something of a different conversation but my experience with portland democrats is that there's some truth to this, where it's a group affiliation that's based more on "i'm not one of those dumb republicans that they make fun of on the comedy show i watch" than it is any kind of political commitments. i don't think that categorically describes democrats and i don't know how much impact this group has, but it's definitely a thing. obviously there's a strain of that on the left (i don't think it's exclusive to any political persuasion; there's rot everywhere) but i also think it doesn't get mocked as much as it does when it's coming from the far left/right.

i would aggressively posit that more people's politics are aesthetic than "considered" or in any way policy-oriented across the board
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:58 pm

the American as an individual unit is massively conditioned to perceive itself as something other than "political" and certainly not as a "political actor" and this yields a population that takes up politics as it comes into means/resources to protect (private property, spouses, children), typically in middle age, leading to immature and nearly totally uninformed affiliations formed largely around resource hoarding, exclusion, and resentment
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby screaming emphysema » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:31 pm

My president!

screaming emphysema

Postby tgk » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Haha fuck off bill

tgk

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm

palmer eldritch

Postby GonzO))) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:11 pm

whatabout tim wrote:What I’d do to see scumbag Lewandowski in cuffs

There’s a long list of reactionary pieces of shit I’d love to see get their faces smashed in by bricks but Cory is one of the few who I also think about how much cooler it’d be if that brick were wrapped in tape and rolled around in broken glass that is all bottles used as spittoons that has been soaking in a sewer and the person swinging the brick is a deported parent forced to leave their kids in the US and yr surrounded by like 50 perfect 10 blonds who are snuggling Barack Obama on a big heart bed while chanting “Baby Dick Trump” and the last thing they see is all of their money being handed to a brown person and all of their buildings and houses converted into public housing

GonzO)))

Postby Big Oil » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:

There’s a great article on this point if anyone is interested:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3593382

Big Oil

Postby dubs » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:43 am

palmer eldritch wrote:

Yeah but did you see the way she clapped at Trump that time?

dubs

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:26 am

tgk

Postby coop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

coop

Postby coop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:04 am

:roll:

coop

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 am

kavanaugh, iran, racist islamaphobic rhetoric, trumps playing all the hits this week

tgk

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:54 am

i agree it should be proportional, as in they didn't do anything to us so who fucking cares we should do nothing
well that was intense

Hal Jordan

Postby jack » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:23 am

jack

Postby dragon jeans » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:44 am

where does the line start?

dragon jeans

Postby head gardener » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 pm

head gardener

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:08 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:

what an absolutely broken party
well that was intense

Hal Jordan

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Trump is good now

tgk

Postby jack » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:45 pm

trump is having lunch or something a couple of blocks from my office and traffic is a nightmare

jack

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:49 pm

I have plans to head downtown after work and if this motherfucker ruins them... well I'm gonna be peeved, you see.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....