Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jack » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:32 pm

more like the injustice dept if you ask me

jack

Postby garbiel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:39 pm

More like AmeriKKKa imo
Sissy Spacerock wrote:IRL will only be inhabited by those of us who have learned to derive pleasure in suffering

garbiel

Postby toots » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:44 pm

sadville wrote:my dad, a lifelong boomer republican voter, isn't voting for trump in 2020 because of his tweets

my dads lifelong boomer republican friends are starting to saying some variant of "...i just wish he'd stay off that twitter"

toots

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:44 pm

maga

dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 pm

It seems like decent people resigning their posts so truly atrocious people can take their place is probably the worst decision a career political operative can make if they actually care about preserving any vestige of a functional government. Like yeah, they'd be stifled from doing their job effectively if they stayed on, but they could also use their position to stop at least some atrocities that would otherwise would be aided by someone loyal to Trump. If you don't like corruption, resigning your post so a corrupt person can take it and also be legitimized seems counterproductive to such a cause.

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby surly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 pm

If I'm wrong I'd love for someone to explain why, but that's something that has been bothering me for a while

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby surly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:15 pm

there is no functional difference between a decent person being forced to do an unethical act and a bad person willingly doing the same act

plus, only like half of the prosecutors who resigned actually resigned from their job. they only resigned from that specific case

surly
the insult bastard

Postby WeirdJungle » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:16 pm

I dunno, I got the strong sense that these "resignations" were not voluntary
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

WeirdJungle

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm

surly wrote:there is no functional difference between a decent person being forced to do an unethical act and a bad person willingly doing the same act

plus, only like half of the prosecutors who resigned actually resigned from their job. they only resigned from that specific case

Couldn't a person choose to ignore orders or actively work to sabotage things they consider unethical?

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby surly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm

in which case they would be fired, which brings us back to replacing the resigning people with willing cronies...

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Cronos wrote:https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/02/honey-badger-dont-give-a-shit/71284/

I guess honey badger don't give a shit is a long time conservative thing.

chuck norris facts, bill brasky, etc. etc.

voluntary submission to mechanized inhumanity with the thinnest veil of "LOL" is the closest a "conservative" can get to mirth outside of jerking off to infant mortality reports
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby surly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 pm

it's also a moot point within the context of the stone case, because higher ups at the justice department simply filed the reduced sentence memo without telling the actual prosecutors about it

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:04 pm

surly wrote:in which case they would be fired, which brings us back to replacing the resigning people with willing cronies...

That's fair, but given the incompetence of the people Trump employs, I'd think they'd be able to outmanuever them for at least a little while.

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Milquetoaster Strudels wrote:
surly wrote:in which case they would be fired, which brings us back to replacing the resigning people with willing cronies...

That's fair, but given the incompetence of the people Trump employs, I'd think they'd be able to outmanuever them for at least a little while.

ben carson is: out hud
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby SabreFancS » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:10 pm

SabreFancS

Postby hbb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Sissy Spacerock wrote:

ben carson is: out hud

I’m not Nick Offerman, I’m Nic Offer, man
Let me offer my gifted hands
hbb

Postby brittle » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:14 pm

i had a tough time parsing this out over the last few days too. but i think i figured it out this morning (though please correct me if i'm wrong, i really don't know wtf i'm talking about) them resigning is what actually brought public attention to the pressure for lighter sentencing. if they didn't resign, then they would have been fired and it would have been he said/she said as to why they were no longer on the case. but that doesn't mean that new prosecutors are gonna come along and convince the judge to give him a lighter sentence. berman's gonna absolutely give him a fair sentence-- the real party is gonna happen when trump and barr try and do something about THAT.

brittle

Postby SabreFancS » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 pm

SabreFancS

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Yeah ok Bill

Shotfrog

Postby hbb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm

The Admirable AG Barr
hbb

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:23 pm

hmm let them fight I guess
dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby coop » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:44 pm

coop

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm

SabreFancS wrote:

the trump associate playbook is so fucking easy

- accept position
- take some of the splash for the most heinous shit ever, but mostly redirect back to "we all heard what he said"
- "sir!"
- resignation
- gossip book deal/media circuit with literally no actual information ("Revealed that Trump called Pence a Mr. Perkins in shocking new tell-all")
- endless plaudits and lionization for their steadfast public service to doing their job under the uniquely toxic Trump, because they were not part of enabling problem, somehow, at all
Last edited by The Emperor's Son on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Emperor's Son

Postby emotional fascism » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm

in other words, I can't cover shit up if you keep making a thing about it

emotional fascism

Postby Tai-Pan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:50 pm

hbb wrote:The Admirable AG Barr

it's all crap!

Tai-Pan

Postby hbb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm

:D
hbb

Postby endless dave » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:55 pm

the actual point of that interview is Barr giving himself cover so as he says "yes it's annoying but he hasn't done the actually illegal and immoral thing" (which here is Trump directly telling Barr to intefer in cases) all the idiot squishes believe him. I mean, Trump absolutely has done that and Barr has obviously acquiesced, but Barr is giving himself and Trump plausible deniability with his own version of the "Sir!" routine

endless dave

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm

The Emperor's Son wrote:
SabreFancS wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1228064582423502848[/weet]

the trump associate playbook is so fucking easy

- accept position
- take some of the splash for the most heinous shit ever, but mostly redirect back to "we all heard what he said"
- "sir!"
- resignation
- gossip book deal/media circuit with literally no actual information ("Revealed that Trump called Pence a Mr. Perkins in shocking new tell-all")
- endless plaudits and lionization for their steadfast public service to doing their job under the uniquely toxic Trump, because they were not part of enabling problem, somehow, at all

i feel like the only way to do like staind and break the cycle is for there to be actual physical repercussions but that gets into "saying hipinion in what passes for a court" territory in addition to probably triggering waves of reprisals + accelerating skynet
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby my piano » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:09 pm

it's fundamental to the social contract, can't keep a society without a legitimate threat of knoxville.
loss and gain

my piano

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....