Do you like The Beatles

Let's talk hats

Postby Locke » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:57 pm

beatles jo sesh

Locke

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:58 pm

get splat, jo jo
*guitar notes*
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"

DasLofGang

Postby Viz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:04 pm

The narrative that I've come to believe about this period is that yeah, they were really tired and they just didn't want to be Beatles anymore, except for Paul, more or less. But the appearance of video cameras plus bringing in Billy Preston rekindled some "I actually like playing with these guys" vibes for them. I think if they hadn't committed to being filmed, if they didn't end acrimoniously, they would just have drifted apart.
Viz

Postby hells bells » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:55 pm

mactheo wrote:john lennon is currently getting dragge d on tiktok for his song ‘woman is the n***** of the world.’ which it’s funny to see a new generation discover how problematic he was

those were yokos lyrics, I thought

The supposed story about Paul barring Billy Preston from officially joining the band after John posed the idea, insisting that the Beatles were a white band, is a real bummer

hells bells

Postby Viz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Ah shit, I've never heard that story before. Wouldn't be surprised though. Not the same thing, I guess, but the Stones making Ian Stewart play in the dark area of the stage cause he was fat was horrible shit.
Viz

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:33 pm

sobieski wrote:i’ve been thinking about bob dylan getting the beatles blazed a lot. there should be a documentary for that maybe. there are 7 levels

lol yeah and on really shitty weed too and the Beatles were all “rolllll upppp for the magical mystery tour is waiting to take you away”
Last edited by Self Destructive Zone on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:21 pm

where can I read more about the beatles and bob dylan shmokin weed

quinine
ok

Postby cartola » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm

DasLofGang wrote:
cartola wrote:Paul loves to spill the tea, he is trying to spill it all before he passes on.

that's not all he loves to spill: https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-mccartney-masturbating-john-lennon-beatles-2377892

what a drama queen
cartola

Postby Skerple » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:00 pm

hells bells wrote:
mactheo wrote:john lennon is currently getting dragge d on tiktok for his song ‘woman is the n***** of the world.’ which it’s funny to see a new generation discover how problematic he was

those were yokos lyrics, I thought

The supposed story about Paul barring Billy Preston from officially joining the band after John posed the idea, insisting that the Beatles were a white band, is a real bummer

it's actually recorded in the get back sessions, 1-24-69

John: Ours too...I'd like him to be in our band, actually... fifth Beatle.

Paul: I just don't, because, it's bad enough for four, and a spade, and it's creating havoc. I dig him. He's an incredible musician, but none of that.

I've always interpreted it (and told others about it) in an uncharitable way, but i don't actually think Paul is primarily concerned with keeping the Beatles white, it's more him being annoyed with John like "you don't want to be in this band anymore why are you talking about adding someone"

I also think there's something later (though I can't find it again) where he expands a little on it and says it's just using Preston, like the only reason John wants him in the band is to stir shit up publicly.

I think the first one is stupid, but he's right about the second, and John is also immediately like "yeah it could be our 'i have a dream' moment" which I think shows a lot about where he's coming from
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby hells bells » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:01 pm

“It wasn’t a big thing,” he said. “But, you know, it was just the kind of thing you didn’t think much of. It was just a group. Yeah, it’s quite raunchy when you think about it.

it didn't occur to me at all in 1964 that group masturbation with my guy chums was at all salacious or risque', but upon reflection...

hells bells

Postby lodger » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm

shizaam wrote:oh huh

where is the film grain

lodger

Postby chairkicker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:41 pm

Tar Pit wrote:I was watching this one dude's youtube channels where he went through some of the recorded dialogue from the Get Back/Let It Be sessions. It's really interesting to hear a lot of the stuff that wasn't shown in the original movie that kinda squashed a lot of the rumors surrounding the Beatles. The whole "they won't play George's songs" idea is kinda erased once you realized they practiced All Things Must Pass like 20 times and George was the one to pull it from the lineup. They kept trying to play his songs apparently, and if you look at the Let It Be tracklist and realize George took off ATMP, McCartney, Lennon, and Harrison would pretty much have an equal amount of tracks on the album.

I'm hoping the new doc series brings a lot of this to light.

interesting

chairkicker

Postby Tar Pit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:46 pm

Apparently, John and/or Paul smoked weed before Dylan, but didn’t realize they were high cuz they were drinking. I believe Dylan reintroduced it to them and that’s when they fell in love with the grinch finger.

Tar Pit

Postby CHUNT » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 am

I heard from Paul's niece that She Came In Through The Bathroom Window was originally supposed to be called She Came In Through The Living Room Fireplace but then Big Window intervened and, tragically at the time, Big Fireplace had terrible insurance
Tom Waits for no man

CHUNT

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:50 pm

I'll watch the shit out of this, but what in the world is Peter Jackson doing to this footage. Looks like AI-generated, DNR-smeared Beatles.

Image Image

emotional fascism

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Peter Jackson unearths footage of Phil Spector producing Let it Be from the Get Back tapes:

ImageToggle Spoiler
^that was hot nonsense and in no way endorse this post
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

Postby lodger » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:14 pm

lodger

Postby Skerple » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:34 pm

emotional fascism wrote:I'll watch the shit out of this, but what in the world is Peter Jackson doing to this footage. Looks like AI-generated, DNR-smeared Beatles.

Image Image

oh my god this is funny
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby lodger » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:38 pm

so many youtube comments praising jackson for his restoration work, and it's like... really? it's smoothed out to the point of absurdity.

lodger

Postby bat house » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Ah fuck, looks like Jackson got enamored with the software they used on They Shall Not Grow Old. In that case the frame interpolation was necessary to correct for the variable frame rates caused by hand-cranked cameras, and also the sharpening and cleanup was well used to help footage that had degraded over time. Here it just sucks the life out of everything. The grain is the character! The only reason why it makes sense to remove grain is when you have to composite in VFX elements, and even then pretty much everyone reapplies some artificial grain to marry the elements together.

bat house

Postby hologram » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:55 pm

Been jamming the Beatles station on Sirius xm in the car lol

Surprised they weren’t talking about this

I think We Can Work It Out is my new Fab Fav

I love how upbeat it is but like monotone

hologram
acid casualty

Postby brittle » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Skerple wrote:
emotional fascism wrote:I'll watch the shit out of this, but what in the world is Peter Jackson doing to this footage. Looks like AI-generated, DNR-smeared Beatles.

Image Image

oh my god this is funny

with raytracing enabled
without

brittle

Postby bat house » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:51 pm

Ray tracing? There's none of that here. You can't ray trace unless you're simulating a scene in 3D. This is just a smoothing tool and a color correction pass to shift blues to teal and pinks to orange. For some reason white people are embarrassed that they tend toward redder skin colors.

bat house

Postby loaf angel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:54 pm

bat house, I think brittle was making a joke
petrichor wrote:We used to talk about Animal Collective. We were promised four walls and adobe slabs. The millennial generation never got it. Now we have Prester John. He is breaking down.

loaf angel

Postby bat house » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Blah one more thing about any sort of smoothing that I hate is there's an idea that it gives better clarity. That's wrong. It sort of looks that way in still images because the delineations are sharper, but actually the human visual system uses noise in its processing layers to give more information to the cortex. We already have a smoothing algorithm in our brains. So when the software does it first you're robbing yourself of information to be interpreted. Yeah sure the footage might feel cleaner like it was a CG render but that's just slickness, you're losing out on how well film or digital sensors capture the reality. If you ever try and make out something in the dark by your eyes it's hugely helped by the fact our rod and cone cells capture noise.

bat house

Postby bat house » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:03 pm

@loafangel oops, I know Brittle works in photography so he probably knows all this. It's just kinda my bugbear working in film.

bat house

Postby pinkerton » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:05 pm

No

pinkerton

Postby hbb » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:09 pm

They Shall Not Get Back
hbb

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:33 pm

k3_and the sunshine band wrote:Peter Jackson unearths footage of Phil Spector producing Let it Be from the Get Back tapes:

ImageToggle Spoiler

so… he DID do this.
^that was hot nonsense and in no way endorse this post
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

Postby hbb » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:49 pm

More like Phil Specter!
hbb

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone