Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Love the pop-up shop. Hope it stays open forever.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby Feech La Manna » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:53 pm

edit: wrong thread
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby internethandle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 pm

yeah i would have liked to see rebekah

definitely happy with showtime overall, but i'm still gonna snicker when they do something sort of tone deaf like the above or the skate decks or whatever
internethandle
ok

Postby RIXX » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 pm

it might be tone deaf to this thread but it probably has huge appeal to the cherry pie dugpa contingent of TP fans
RIXX

Postby Poptone » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Esteban wrote: Last week they had rebekah del rio performing I woulda gone to that if I was in LA.

now see that's just awesome

bless you showtime
Poptone
cat fan

Postby evan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Gushed over this woman's sign at the LA march today. She said I was the first person to understand the ref.

evan

Postby delgriffith » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 pm

That rules.
delgriffith

Postby forest design » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 pm

tricksforchips wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:has anyone read or written any takes on what exactly Lynch might have been going for with the bizarre style and background actors in e6 when the kid gets killed? still as perplexingly strange as the first time I saw it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't going for anything and they were just thrown in quickly without much direction.

what?
forest design

Postby brentwurst » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:24 pm

the return made tricksforchips hate lynch.
brentwurst

Postby delgriffith » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Bananafish wrote:
Durham wrote:The Vertigo connection has become more apparent with time and two nights of uneasy dreams. The silent drive with a flawed male driver and the womanly object of his drive and focus headed toward a pivotal and iconic location, the "shift" midway through the episode, the shot of Doppelgänger Cooper (outside the sheriff station) from behind with a decorative hair clip as the focal point...it's all there

hell yeah

[Scotty] is cured of his acrophobia and of his vertigo, but not of his desire or of his memory—of an illusion and a pleasure that he’ll never be able to lose or to recreate except there. He’s finally free to get on with his life; at the moment that he regains his future, he’s swallowed up in his past.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/vertigo-the-search-for-a-cure

Scottie's home on Lombard street with the red door.

Is it too absurd to imagine that this agonizing, though reasonable, and obstinate soul (‘hard-hitting’ says Gavin), imagined this totally extravagant scenario, full of unbelievable coinci­dences and entanglements, yet logical enough to drive one to the one salvatory conclusion: this woman is not dead, I can find her again?

Scottie experiences the greatest joy a man can imagine, a second life, in exchange for the greatest tragedy, a second death.

- from Chris Marker's essay on Vertigo. Chris, I think, might have enjoyed this season.
https://chrismarker.org/chris-marker/a-free-replay-notes-on-vertigo/

As the sex scene between Cooper and Diane triggers a change in their environment, when Scottie and Judy kiss, the setting around them shifts.

Vertigo, of course, also ends with a scream.

Randomly decided to do a Vertigo/Episodes 17-18 double header tonight. Very rewarding.
delgriffith

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:17 am

"there's more to life than cars"
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby forest design » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 am

Need to do a Hitchcock 2018. It’s been ages since I’ve seen even the ones I’ve seen
forest design

Postby internethandle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:44 am

no one posted the BUF demo reel in here so i guess i might as well. has some interesting stuff like the pieces of lynch's art that served as inspiration for the fireman/giant's home and his golden brain emission scene. also judy vomiting bob in color. you might as well just mute the audio unless you want to hear an incongruent badbadnotgood track:

internethandle
ok

Postby OKterrific » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 am

finally did a rewatch on the BLU RAY

18 is still uniquely devastating
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts
OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:"there's more to life than cars"

i think time's gonna solidify this as the best moment
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby supersaturated » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 pm

The final Lodgers podcast (with Dennis Lim and Tom McCarthy as guests) had some interesting parts. Especially from McCarthy - he compares Lynch to Alain Robbe-Grillet, Kafka & Duchamp in the span of like 60 seconds (and it all made sense).
supersaturated

Postby manvstrees » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm

i mean none of those feel like a stretch
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby brentwurst » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:23 pm

nothings ever going to be as good as this huh
brentwurst

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 pm

"ike finally stepped on his dick"
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 pm

buckhorn
palmer eldritch

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 pm

brentmoney wrote:nothings ever going to be as good as this huh

Not really buddy no
Esteban

Postby Esteban » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:58 pm

supersaturated wrote:The final Lodgers podcast (with Dennis Lim and Tom McCarthy as guests) had some interesting parts. Especially from McCarthy - he compares Lynch to Alain Robbe-Grillet, Kafka & Duchamp in the span of like 60 seconds (and it all made sense).

Damn how'd I miss this podcast during the run, like it way more than "twin peaks rewatch". Thanks SS
Esteban

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm

am doing a rewatch and just watched e12 - something that really stood out to me now that i have context for the arc is charlie saying "you're going to renege on our contract?" sort of menacingly to audrey during their first conversation. seems to be referencing more than just a marriage. has this been covered?
Last edited by Buzz Fledderjohn on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby bongo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 pm

i’m not sure i will be able to do a rewatch this side of like five years
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 pm

yeah i bought the blu ray immediately but have only watched some of the bonus stuff. i simultaneously feel like a rewatch is daunting & i want to see it a billion times cause it's so dense & good
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby mystery meat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 pm

this is the best thing Lynch has ever made, and i'm not a huge fan of the original series.
mystery meat

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm

bongo wrote:i’m not sure i will be able to do a rewatch this side of like five years

i've told myself i'm going to start one so many times now but i can't commit to it because it almost seems weird.

like it was such a special thing that i'm almost anxious about it. that being said, i rewatched part 8 on halloween because it's my new favorite horror thing.
light rail coyote

Postby tiger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:51 pm

creedence tapes wrote:I'm 3 episodes into the rewatch and yea I felt pretty strongly this time around that everything happening after coop tries to leave is a big "plan b" for the lodge

Also decided to watch season 2 from right after lelands reveal just for kicks

Forgot all about this bonkers scene.

I remember stepping from the flames, a vague shape in the dark, then nothing.

Until I found myself standing by the cold remains of our campfire two days later.

Major, there are some new techniques that might help us break through your amnesia.

My memories are immune from regression.

I can feel them, they are palpable, the smells and sensation.

Everything is known to me, yet somehow beyond my reach.

Do you remember anything else? Very little.

Save for one disturbing image of a giant owl.

- Pervasive.

- A giant owl? A giant owl? How big? Enough to cloud my mind and memory.

i love this scene because it could be his first major break with seen reality and simultaneously a foreshadowing/re-visiting of the campfire of bob ethering. they're all operating at such high levels of uncertainty. i doubt he had any idea that judy was supposed to be evil when first discovered. she gets a fairly complex treatment if you take sarah as always haunted vs. S3 activated, given her focus on maintaining order with the hand-obsessed bob at the dinner table. i don't think she really understands bob's methods because her source is guaranteed: the female counterpart suffering in silence. IMO, judy is trying to help in her own way, without cognizance of her poisoned well. she's bringing those FBI clowns into the cloud to understand them, but they also gain strength as they're set free. she can't be gotten rid of because she also gives birth to those points of light.
tiger

Postby walt whitman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Esteban wrote:
supersaturated wrote:The final Lodgers podcast (with Dennis Lim and Tom McCarthy as guests) had some interesting parts. Especially from McCarthy - he compares Lynch to Alain Robbe-Grillet, Kafka & Duchamp in the span of like 60 seconds (and it all made sense).

Damn how'd I miss this podcast during the run, like it way more than "twin peaks rewatch". Thanks SS

w Tom McCarthy? sicc nice
walt whitman

Postby iambic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

sordid and I have watched eps 1-3 of this now, and I'm pretty mixed on it so far. I'm pleased that it completely defies all expectations, and it's just kinda stunning that this got made at all, and made this way. but there's plenty that leaves me cold, too.

where do I read endo's posts in this big-ass thread? or will they have "spoilers" in them?
iambic

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....