Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Celiac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm

yes, but that's for likes! this is for politics
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:05 pm

the west wing is a good show as long as you recognize that jed bartlett was a pretty lousy president

and that to the extent that it's an accurate depiction of how the white house functions (which plenty of knowledgeable people seem to grant), it's also a pretty good blueprint for how not to do politics if you're going to view it through that lens

KALM

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:06 pm

KALM wrote:the west wing is a good show as long as you recognize that jed bartlett was a pretty lousy president

and that to the extent that it's an accurate depiction of how the white house functions (which plenty of knowledgeable people seem to grant), it's also a pretty good blueprint for how not to do politics if you're going to view it through that lens

all this plus it's a fantasy land where you can actually own other people with facts and logic
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Celiac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 pm

do you think bernie loves the owns

Celiac

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm

i watched two or three episodes of the west wing. the people talk so much

palmer eldritch

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm

there's that one famous scene where bartlett feels the need to defend his presidency to god and it's sort of hilarious how scant his achievements are when he starts listing them off

like the highlights are basically job growth and a supreme court appointment, all things that even trump has him beat on at this same point in his presidency

KALM

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:13 pm

KALM wrote:there's that one famous scene where bartlett feels the need to defend his presidency to god and it's sort of hilarious how scant his achievements are when he starts listing them off

like the highlights are basically job growth and a supreme court appointment, all things that even trump has him beat on at this same point in his presidency

It was 99-00, we sincerely thought we were good on everything

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:14 pm

veep is about a million times more accurate and every person I've met that's made a career of politics is some combination of dan and jonah

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:15 pm

I guess that's not entirely fair because I did meet a few dudes who were also exactly like richard

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Man I didn't realize how much I miss veep, even if last season sucked

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:18 pm

i just saw an ad for veep today that kind of took me by surprise because i thought the show had already ended

KALM

Postby loaf angel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:19 pm

pretty excited for bernie to get in there
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Bernie "voted to increase ICE funding" Sanders

palmer eldritch

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:22 pm

on my first day as a fundraiser, the woman who trained me gave me this long speech about how it's the best job because you get to spend so much one-on-one time with the candidate and within maybe an hour of my first call session the dude started screaming at her because his campaign manager didn't get some business cards he collected into his database fast enough. like, she had nothing to do with it and he's calling her incompetent and stuff while she's just smiling and being like "haha he's just like that sometimes!"

it always reminded me of those veep bits where everyone is comparing how much time they get to spend with selina despite her clearly making all of them miserable.
Last edited by light rail coyote on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

light rail coyote

Postby big zorb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:22 pm

mites wrote:the american primary system is so fucking dumb. we should not care about new hampshire or iowa also abolish ICE, abolish the Senate

listen this is all we iowans have
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby came to wreck » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm

should i line up at brooklyn college now so i can see bernie announce he's running?

came to wreck

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:something I spend time uselessly pondering is how you could do this through reconciliation

KALM or other folks who are knowledgeable in this area, what do you think the consequences of using reconciliation to eliminate income requirements for medicaid expansion funds would look like

i'm going to be honest. i've never really understood the reconciliation rules all that well.

like i know the last republican health care bill was destroyed by that byrd bath but there were still a few provisions that slipped through where i thought surely the budgetary effects were only incidental to the regulatory changes they were making. and then there was this new york times article where they polled experts for predictions on whether each provision would survive, and a lot of those experts seemed to be using a standard that was more like whether the provisions may have any significant budgetary effect (with seemingly little regard for what the actual purpose of the provisions were, which i feel like has to be a key consideration)

but if allowing states to restrict eligibility through work requirements doesn't violate the byrd rule (that was one ruling i didn't really understand), then i don't see any difference with allowing states to expand eligibility through waivers either. obviously assuming it doesn't increase net outlays outside of the 10 year window or whatever that is. but i know so little about this i'm sure there are plenty of things i'm missing there.

KALM

Postby surly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 pm

one could presumably argue that by implementing work requirements, you'd decrease spending, which means it wouldn't violate the byrd rule
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 pm

yeah that's fair. if that's what allowed that provision to go through, then i'm not sure that helps with expanding access through waivers

KALM

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm

I suppose you'd need revenue components to get beyond a 10 year window

or overrule the parliamentarian

palmer eldritch

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 pm

agreed, but that's still a separate requirement right?

like any non-budgetary effects have to be incidental to the budgetary effects AND it can't increase net outlays outside of the 10 year window

i've always interpreted that first requirement to mean that the primary purpose of the provision has to be budgetary.

so, even if you find offsets, that only addresses the second issue. but i'm still not clear enough on what exactly that first requirement is to know if expanding medicaid eligibility would satisfy it.

KALM

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 pm

the ACA 2010 reconciliation vehicle moved things around a bit spendingwise so I think it's ok but not creating new waivers I just want to amend 133% of poverty to infinite

palmer eldritch

Postby KALM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:the ACA 2010 reconciliation vehicle moved things around a bit spendingwise so I think it's ok but not creating new waivers I just want to amend 133% of poverty to infinite

Oh yeah sorry I misread your post originally.

But it looks like the expansion to 133% of the poverty line was contained in the original PPACA bill, not the Reconciliation bill. The Reconciliation only adjusted the federal share, which I agree wouldn't be a problem.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you're wondering if you could amend that 133% provision to further expand eligibility, but this time through Reconciliation. I'm not so sure about that, but again I'm really out of my depth here.

KALM

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:43 pm

well thanks for engaging my one weird trick hypothetical I came up with in the shower

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 pm

wishing you're a genie is the worst thing you can do!

palmer eldritch

Postby inspectorhound » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:55 pm

someone put amy's face on the blue will smith

inspectorhound

Postby Celiac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 pm

imagine if young people were left with debt from college, yikes

Celiac

Postby saranclaps » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Today I found someone with the Twitter name Draft Bennet 2020. Seems to be a fake account a conservative made to promote their Twitter on 2020 elections.
https://twitter.com/JakobTRX
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby came to wreck » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm

inspectorhound wrote:someone put amy's face on the blue will smith

i tried but looks weird cause will has his shirt off, then you put her clothes on and she just is blue faced amy in a cave

came to wreck

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 pm

big zorb wrote:
mites wrote:the american primary system is so fucking dumb. we should not care about new hampshire or iowa also abolish ICE, abolish the Senate

listen this is all we iowans have

Yeah, as a former New Hampshire resident (for the first many years of my life), meeting Obama and shit is like the only semi-interesting thing I was able to do that didn't involve going to Boston.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

Vote on the Best Album of 2019:
https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132517

buriedinspace

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....