Streaming recommendations (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Crackle?)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:26 pm

ya most of these shows probably dont deserve their own thread bc like 8 people on the board watch them (but thats not stopped me from making threads for those shows if i really like them i.e. Quarry, 9-1-1 etc.) or they're just not that good
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby thrasher » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pm

no yeah totally, and like i said no disrespect intended, i would probably participate more in the discussion if it was something I was more interested in, as I do the videogame threads or things like that that're i suppose very similar

I think because I'm personally almost always disappointed by netflix stuff that my view of this is sorta clouded. that and the fact that I haven't really truly cherished a tv show since the sopranos ended probably

thrasher

Postby Repo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm

I think we all can agree that 95% of netflix content is disappointing but you have to fill the void anyways
what do you want me to do, talk to my girlfriend??

Repo

Postby brent » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm

contrary to general consensus (at least here), i've actually enjoyed the majority of netflix original content that i have watched...but admittedly i am extremely selective when it comes to the shows i am willing to check out. but sometimes i do wonder if i'm missing out on certain shows that i rule out before even giving it a chance

i think tidying up, final table and ozark were the only ones i actively disliked

brent

Postby Franco » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm

i love streaming shows. what you say sounds right, thrasher, but i think its more funny than bleak. a lot of these shows are engineered to eat up an evening or exist solely during their first saturday/sunday after premiering. why should i take them more seriously than the cynical strategies that delivered it to me

10% of all the shit i watch i'll have some things to say about. everything else is "happy i watched that instead of going out or doing xyz this weekend" or "that sucked but im still glad i didnt go out or do xyz this weekend"

Franco

Postby speakers » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:18 pm

i absolutely loved final table brent you heartless meanie!

speakers

Postby speakers » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:19 pm

also my wife loves marie kondo brent you heartless meanie!

speakers

Postby brent » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:35 pm

saying actively disliked is maybe a little strong for the final table, as i generally am not huge on food competition shows (top chef being the exception). i bailed after like 3 episodes out of boredom. i find most of netflix's 'foodie' programming underwhelming though, other that salt fat acid heat, which was phenomenal

brent

Postby Franco » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:40 pm

I wish Final Table was a little bit better. Like they clearly thought the premise alone took care of all diversity concerns, but that final four sucked

Franco

Postby wintergreen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm

tidying up is pretty bad, really. neither the transformations nor the people working on them are usually interesting, and marie rarely says or does anything insightful. once you're over the novelty of the shinto aspects and marie's personality, there's almost nothing to it. we made it through four episodes, but i don't see a reason to continue.

wintergreen

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:01 pm

i liked final table!!

tidying up, saw 2 eps and that was enough to get the idea and not need to see any more.
well that was intense

Hal Jordan

Postby KPH » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm

mellowgold wrote:ya most of these shows probably dont deserve their own thread bc like 8 people on the board watch them (but thats not stopped me from making threads for those shows if i really like them i.e. Quarry, 9-1-1 etc.) or they're just not that good

Oh Quarry. Sigh.

KPH

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm

final table definitely felt like it could have been better like leaning in more to the different types of regional food and educating the audience more about it but still, the teams made some really interesting and amazing meals and that made it worthwhile for me.
well that was intense

Hal Jordan

Postby number none » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Quigley wrote:Yeah I liked Russian Doll but was the solution to the time loop really her getting together with the world's least interesting man? It's like the show morphed into Garden State in the last half hour.Toggle Spoiler

I didn't read the ending as them being together in a romantic senseToggle Spoiler

number none

Postby R C » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 pm

R C wrote:
i am rich wrote:am i the only one who thought that polar suuuuuucked

I'm an hour into it and it's incredibly bad.

second half definitely got better, but still pretty terrible
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby blurst of times » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:26 pm

final table seemed great on paper, but it felt weirdly underwhelming to me (though i did enjoy it somewhat).

the pacing made each episode kind of a slog -- i think it would've been more interesting if they were cut in half and featured just the second part with the celeb chef. (but without the extended bio right in the middle, which killed the momentum a lot of the time.) there didn't seem to be much tension for whatever reason either, maybe because most of the chefs were already well-established and most of the interesting ones were eliminated early.

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby saranclaps » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm

watch shit at 2x speed. never worry about pacing. :ahuh:

(only for content with no inherent style or documentaries or news and shit)
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby j-ol » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:52 pm

as someone who is inexplicably drawn to shows like the aforementioned instant hotel and HGTV fare in general, i recommend stay here. it's a short-term rental expert from the UK and an american designer lady revamping air bnbs in the U.S. to help make them more profitable. full-on guilty pleasure, but the redesigns are actually very impressive and some of the subjects are endearing. brooklyn single dad stole my heart. prepare yourself for hilariously awful music in the transitional sequences... like 5 absolute cornball interludes per episode.

j-ol

Postby j-ol » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:58 pm

did not expect to find a think piece on this dumb show but alas

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/10/ne ... re/569959/

j-ol

Postby Franco » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm

j-ol what was your favorite social media moment

Franco

Postby wintergreen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm

final table was okay aside from the host.

wintergreen

Postby j-ol » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Franco wrote:j-ol what was your favorite social media moment

green room in the 70s house

j-ol

Postby walt whitman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:17 pm

mellowgold wrote:ya most of these shows probably dont deserve their own thread bc like 8 people on the board watch them (but thats not stopped me from making threads for those shows if i really like them i.e. Quarry, 9-1-1 etc.) or they're just not that good

ya most of these shows are bad, but their topical nature or mildly transgressive POV gets them (fleeting) attention.

russian doll sux
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby speakers » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:14 pm

russian doll is the most divided i've seen the board on a show in a while

speakers

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 pm

I thought russian doll was rather good, though I had extremely low expectations

my favorite netflix production/co-prod since than the end of the fucking world
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:39 pm

if you liked it, I would recommend leslye headland's plays and films

bachelorette + assistance are both excellent
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Franco » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:47 pm

I liked Lyonnes performance/presence in Russian Doll, but the story was a disaster. I’d like to say it was something experimental and not willing to hold your hand but it’s Netflix and I’d assume they strove for a tight bingeable product.

There’s a narrow lane to drive with a strong concept such as this and I dunno, I was flying over guardrails left and right.

Franco

Postby worrywort » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm

i thought the first two episodes were kinda annoying -- another show about awful people in new york, riding solely on Lyonne's considerable talent and charm to push through that -- but then the plot bump in ep 3 was cool and everything after that was engaging. in the end, i liked it pretty well.

worrywort

Postby easy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 am

i just finished russian doll and i must say it held my attention till the end which was a pleasant surprise, but yeah , franco’s post pretty much nails it

I also couldn’t shake the feeling that the show was always lingering on, like. the least interesting stuff. and eliding the stuff I wanted to see.

really felt like a rough draft.

easy
does it

Postby saranclaps » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:48 am

buncha dudes dunking on a show written and directed and starring women is pretty boring to me
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....