Streaming recommendations (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Crackle?)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby iacus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 am

RIXX wrote:a question for russian doll (only if you've seen it all, spoilers for the ending)

so, they get stuck in this time loop, and can only escape it once they resolve these major personal conflicts (nadia thinking she abandoned and caused her mother's death, alan's perfectionism and avoidance of introspection) but those new and improved versions of them exist in only one timeline? and alt nadia and alan are still gonna have fucked up commitment and vulnerability issues? at first I thought like, new and improved nadia/alan would help one another to get past their issues in their respective timelines, but like...alan doesn't know anything about nadia's mom. so how is she not gonna be just as fucked up as before, just...not hit by a car in a single instance. I hope this makes sense. maybe the show just doesn't hold up to dissection and it's more about the journey or whateverToggle Spoiler

The very last scene shows them crossing over into the same reality. You can track which person is which because of the (kinda clumsily executed) uniquely identifiable clothing each person gets in the last episode.Toggle Spoiler It only shows it for a brief second at the very end.
(there was a hyperbole)

iacus

Postby RIXX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:14 am

iacus wrote:
RIXX wrote:a question for russian doll (only if you've seen it all, spoilers for the ending)

so, they get stuck in this time loop, and can only escape it once they resolve these major personal conflicts (nadia thinking she abandoned and caused her mother's death, alan's perfectionism and avoidance of introspection) but those new and improved versions of them exist in only one timeline? and alt nadia and alan are still gonna have fucked up commitment and vulnerability issues? at first I thought like, new and improved nadia/alan would help one another to get past their issues in their respective timelines, but like...alan doesn't know anything about nadia's mom. so how is she not gonna be just as fucked up as before, just...not hit by a car in a single instance. I hope this makes sense. maybe the show just doesn't hold up to dissection and it's more about the journey or whateverToggle Spoiler

The very last scene shows them crossing over into the same reality. You can track which person is which because of the (kinda clumsily executed) uniquely identifiable clothing each person gets in the last episode.Toggle Spoiler It only shows it for a brief second at the very end.

oh weird. i totally did not get or see this, i'll have to rewatch it. i thought the joining of the frames was some symbolic thingToggle Spoiler

RIXX

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Wow I really fucking loved Russian Doll
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby RIXX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Behind the Curve (doc on flat earthers, netflix)

fun and breezy. the film doesn't ridicule these people but approaches them with a lot of empathy and insight into how these people fall for these conspiracies and get pushed further and further into the fringes. while also recognizing the inherent danger of this absurd and ridiculous group of people. i especially loved the DJ Douggpound-looking supervillain that popped up throughout the film.

LORENA (four part doc series on lorena bobbitt case, exec produced by jordan peele, amazon prime)

heartbreaking. but really excellent and thorough. john wayne bobbitt is a sociopath and i'm so happy i don't live in the trashy media climate of the 90s

RIXX

Postby Zurich » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Terrace House rules

lol

Zurich

Postby RIXX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 pm

RIXX wrote:LORENA (four part doc series on lorena bobbitt case, exec produced by jordan peele, amazon prime)

heartbreaking. but really excellent and thorough. john wayne bobbitt is a sociopath and i'm so happy i don't live in the trashy media climate of the 90s

Oh and the person that comes off by far the worst in this doc is Howard Stern

Fuck that guy, just absolute scum

RIXX

Postby super gas » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 pm

i started watching homecoming, which is fine but i have one big problem with amazon and it's the gui. whole experience of watching a show or a movie on amazon is like stepping back in time 15 years. miles behind netflix. even just rewinding is a poorly executed. i realize that different tvs have different versions of the app (which is really dumb) but i am also not going to buy a new tv to possibly get a slightly better experience.

super gas

Postby saranclaps » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:12 am

one day at a time good comfort food.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby shirts optional » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:39 am

No Country For Old Men is on Netflix

It's still very good

shirts optional

Postby Repo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:42 am

anybody seen paddleton yet?

Repo

Postby Grey Poupon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:07 am

I love schitt's creek
I missed the boat and dismissed it a couple years ago but that's OK because now I'm on the boat I've been able to binge several seasons in a couple of months
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby Franco » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:33 am

Some new Chef’s Table eps - Mashama Bailey!

Franco

Postby Robo-Chachi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:00 am

super gas wrote:i started watching homecoming, which is fine but i have one big problem with amazon and it's the gui. whole experience of watching a show or a movie on amazon is like stepping back in time 15 years. miles behind netflix. even just rewinding is a poorly executed. i realize that different tvs have different versions of the app (which is really dumb) but i am also not going to buy a new tv to possibly get a slightly better experience.

Yeah. Amazon’s options for fast forward/rewind are: two seconds at a time or five minutes at a time. It’s horrible.

Robo-Chachi

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:26 am

I’m on S1E8 of GDT’s The Strain on Hulu and I’m pretty hooked.
dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby mellowgold » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am

Frank wrote:I’m on S1E8 of GDT’s The Strain on Hulu and I’m pretty hooked.

I couldn’t stop watching this show when it was airing bc of how dreadful it was. Good luck!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby brent » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:39 am

i am generally not a big fan of chef's table but i really liked the new episodes

brent

Postby Franco » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 am

Was the Italian butcher one graphic?

Franco

Postby brent » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:47 am

Franco wrote:Was the Italian butcher one graphic?

...i just realized i missed this one now because i was watching them out of order...only saw the other 3 (but they were all very good)
the mashama bailey ep was probably my favorite ep of the show ever

brent

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:56 am

The Sean Brock one was a little weird in that they basically never acknowledged that he's a white dude representing a largely black cuisine.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby super gas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Robo-Chachi wrote:Yeah. Amazon’s options for fast forward/rewind are: two seconds at a time or five minutes at a time. It’s horrible.

it drives me nuts! if i am watching something with subtitles the player covers the subtitles as well and adds 100x to the frustration -- i have to rewind every time i pause the movie to not miss subtitles.

super gas

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:03 pm

pink snake wrote:I'm old and I like PEN15

i’m loving this shit
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby deebster » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:09 pm

brent wrote:i am generally not a big fan of chef's table but i really liked the new episodes

I love Chef's Table. One of the few shows I watch religiously. The Peru episode where the dude makes dishes based around ingredients that grow in different elevations is amazing.

deebster

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:14 am

Repo wrote:anybody seen paddleton yet?

yes and it was good

mercenaries of slime

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:22 am

deadwolfbones wrote:The Sean Brock one was a little weird in that they basically never acknowledged that he's a white dude representing a largely black cuisine.

this was already a big part of his ugly delicous ep, so I understand why they wouldn't focus on this aspect again

sean brock has done a lot for american cuisine

shit, he's done more for food than most people
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Repo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 am

mercenaries of slime wrote:

yes and it was good

cool, good to know

I'm two episodes in "Lorena" and it's really good, maybe not as good as the OJ doc series but would totally recommend it
thanks to whoever gave the hedz up

Repo

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 pm

I was a little weary of Russian doll and pen15 after a couple episodes but I thought both ended up being fantastic

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby brian dennehy fan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:24 pm

hulu/cnn doc about the identical triplets is amazing

brian dennehy fan

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:40 am

mercenaries of slime wrote:

yes and it was good

Yeah, worth watching
Love a 90minute character flick

there's plenty of hot takes talking about Ray's perfomance and the nuance in the final act, his mental processes, the tree scene.. it was just really really good. Duplass is great too.
Had me in that headspace of how death as it approaches is like all the possibilities converging into one final one and how .. that is sorta terrifying, moreso than death itself.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby blurst of times » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm

finally started watching schitt's creek. it's good! not sure what took me so long, especially considering the cast (chris elliott! catherine o'hara!).

i'm just gonna pretend this is the new arrested development and ignore the rest of the new season 5 episodes

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby pink snake » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Schitts Creek rulez.

pink snake

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....