Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Grumby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 pm

great article

https://www.spin.com/featured/king-krul ... interview/

Tell me about all the horns you have on this record.

This guy sent me a video of himself playing a saxophone under this bridge in East London. That night I was playing a show, and at the end of the show we were gonna have a jam. I told this guy that day to come down to the show, and that’s where I met Ignacio. He’s from Argentina. He was living in London at the time, and he came down and brought his baritone saxophone. That night we got together. We spent a lot of time together afterwards, and I invited him down to come play on some of the work that I was doing.

That was only a year ago that I met him. Now we’re like really best friends, in a way. I found my relationship with him really opened up my record because for years and years all of my friends and myself were just listening to quite a lot of electronic and hip-hop and house and garage and UK garage and two step. I was spending so much time on the computer and producing on my MPC rather than just playing. But he was a breath of fresh air, because we could sit down and I could just play guitar for hours and he could make it sound really good.

Grumby

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34 pm

the Dirty Beaches shoutout/reference makes total sense.
i feel like that project was very influential, and we'll only continue to hear about it being formative for different artists like this.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am

Sure the album has a cool atmosphere, but it's missing memorable melodies and hooks. I don't know, it sort of washes over you but nothing really sticks.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby Eugenics » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am

oh, i found the czech one/dum surfer 7" for 5 bucks yesterday. stoked! i looked online and there are copies for just as cheap (minus shipping) from the official label sites as well - if anyone's interested!
Eugenics

Postby Grumby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm

man i love when an album just rattles ur world a little bit.

(also i think there's a lot of melodic stuff, it's just very obscured by the general dourness. he's kind of half rapper/half singer on this thing. the lyrics are really good!)

Grumby

Postby internethandle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 am

9.0 from p4k. good for him.

internethandle
ok

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 pm

yeah, i was definitely teetering between the "nice ambience but not enough tunes stick" and "i think about this a lot actually" and well, it's a pretty special bag of alien sound.

i want to make the comparison to blond from last year but i think it stops at atmosphere and that channel into a singular brainwave -- the songwriting is just slightly more immediate on blond and the celebrity around it set a very different expectation for the draw to really work

The Emperor's Son

Postby dogshower » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:12 pm

this sound and vibe reminds me so much of hail to the thief, like a more woozy drunk version. its the guitar and drum lock step with the synths buzzing right below all the time. so good.
JUMP

dogshower

Postby loaf angel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 pm

yo I really love this. but I can be sold on atmosphere
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby hyperbole man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:57 pm

really wish his philly show hadn't sold out
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby Grumby » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm

loaf angel wrote:yo I really love this. but I can be sold on atmosphere

i think there's a lot more than just atmosphere to it, there's a real emotional richness hidden deep beneath all of the murk. they're not pretty emotions or anything, more like dwelling in your own pile of personal morose conflict. the beats and punkier moments half-way through the record give it a needed dose of energy. idk all of it resonates with me a lot and it is my favorite album of the year unless something better comes along

also yeah the title track stood out to me as sounding a little radiohead-y

Grumby

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 am

This thing is good. Jesus

beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 am

pretty weird album!
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby easy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:19 pm

I wanna live in this album

easy
does it

Postby blurst of times » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm

i've listened to this several times now and i have mixed feelings about it. i think there are some great individual songs here, but those are surrounded by a lot of meandering. i like the atmosphere (and lyrics), but a lot of songs don't have enough else going on for me. i don't think atmosphere and hooks have to be mutually exclusive; the best moments on here are great at blending both (biscuit town, dum surfer, half man half shark). i think this would be an excellent 10-12 track album, but feels a little strained at close to 20.

i duno, i like this but i wish i liked it as much as everyone else here does

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby Grumby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 pm

cadet limbo is still probably my fav. the way it emulates a kinda 2-step/uk garage beat (is it live? or programmed? i can't even tell. probably both) mixed with those beautiful but wacked out chord flourishes. it almost has a bit of j dilla to it, as well. i'm thinking like "welcome 2 detroit" mostly when he was using more live instrumentation

Grumby

Postby easy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:37 pm

yeah cadet limbo is my #1 too

easy
does it

Postby The Emperor's Son » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:50 pm

blurst of times wrote:i've listened to this several times now and i have mixed feelings about it. i think there are some great individual songs here, but those are surrounded by a lot of meandering. i like the atmosphere (and lyrics), but a lot of songs don't have enough else going on for me. i don't think atmosphere and hooks have to be mutually exclusive; the best moments on here are great at blending both (biscuit town, dum surfer, half man half shark). i think this would be an excellent 10-12 track album, but feels a little strained at close to 20.

i duno, i like this but i wish i liked it as much as everyone else here does

i felt this way too and i'm not ashamed to admit i willed myself into playing it more to like it more because it got a lot things right that i don't hear attempted often even if it falls just a little short on tying it all together

The Emperor's Son

Postby blurst of times » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

yeah that's fair. i def appreciate that he's trying to do something not many others are

maybe i'll change my mind too if i keep listening to it. i think it's true that this is an album you 'live' in rather than expect traditional hooks

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby Grumby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 pm

i guess adding to the other post, as someone who's gone back in forth between indie rock and beat/electronic/hip-hop music so much, this album seems tailor made for most of my tastes in highschool up until now. going back and forth between those two worlds.

i read some review of dum surfer where they described it as "burial-meets-the-clash" and thought yeah, that's pretty much it. but who the fuck would ever combine those two things. that is the truly impressive part.

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:05 pm

like an album where there's room for both j dilla-esque off key grooves and post-punk guitar shambles is so very much up my alley it's kinda great that it exists

Grumby

Postby dcm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 pm

album makes me want to indulge like all of my vices

mostly dark beer and cigarettes and brooding.

dcm

Postby chowder julius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 am

who here has seen him live? the show here is sold out and i'm wondering how worth it it is to pay the scalper fees on stubhub to see him

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am

i think i have to agree re. "cadet limbo"
when the piano comes in, it's just next.level.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby ashtrayheart » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am

i dont like this music much, but i havent given a proper listen to an album.

I will say i read a NYT article on him and it made both the NYT as an institution and king krule the musician seem extremely unlikable. king krule mentioned that several industry insiders, including kanye west, have you heard of him?, have reached out to him but he prefers to remain underground and play in dim sum restaurants.

ashtrayheart

Postby bro tones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm

chowder julius wrote:who here has seen him live? the show here is sold out and i'm wondering how worth it it is to pay the scalper fees on stubhub to see him

i saw him when the the first ep came out and i was absolutely floored at how good he was. saw him again after 6 feet beneath the moon and he and the band were even better and he was such a showman. i would definitely recommend trying to go.
benj wrote:rest in peace luggii dead ass

bro tones

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 pm

dang that sounds good

ripersnifle

Postby Grumby » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

lol rejects kanye but will do this

Grumby

Postby Mandible » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:08 pm

This is great. This guy gets it.

Mandible

Postby Grumby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:12 pm

some other good stuff. yeah he does get it.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/profile-king-krule.html

As indie rock’s cultural influence wanes, King Krule suggests a new path. “I have roots in indie,” he says, though he felt like the bands he saw when he was coming out were missing the point. “I was never about the clothes I was wearing. We’d go on tour and see bands in airports that looked like bands, all styled the same.”

King Krule is that rare 21st-century artist at home on almost any playlist, one who identifies as indie guitar music, but who also rubs shoulders with hip-hop and R&B. At a time when many new acts have trouble keeping an audience from one album to the next, King Krule’s fan base has waited patiently. His Spotify listeners still top 600,000 a month, and despite the one album to his name, his weekly sales figures put him in the same group of Beggars Group legacy acts like Queens of the Stone Age, Cat Power, and Interpol. Along the way, Marshall also made fans from the likes of Beyoncé and Sky Ferreira to Earl Sweatshirt and Ratking. And while a writing session with Frank Ocean didn’t quite pan out and he turned down the chance to work with Kanye West, Marshall recently made beats for Earl Sweatshirt and Wiki from Ratking. “Working with Earl was something that was really fucking natural,” he says. “The first day he got to my house, we spent four hours just jamming and smoking. Barely a word was spoken. It was that thing where you go, ‘Oh shit, there are kids exactly like me all across the world.’”

Grumby

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....