Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Poptone » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:26 pm

kirito wrote:
Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:rick (sheepishly): so its sunday night.. would you want to stay and watch my fbi with me
cliff: i already figured we would be i brought a six pack in the back

fist pumped at this

everyone should have a cliff in their life

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Viola Swamp » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 pm

my signif was so pissed at the johnny guitar ripoff shot

Viola Swamp

Postby Poptone » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:47 pm

so perfect having super un-hip Rick Dalton do a cover of Green Door

Poptone
cat fan

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:26 pm

move good
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Eyeball Kid

Postby blackbetty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Really liked this, usually don't love his movies and think they're too crass. Seemed at times like every cut took us to a slightly different world. I woke up this morning thinking about quantum mechanics and the observer effect after seeing this last night

blackbetty

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:39 pm

well the fuckin' hippies ain't

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby sushi x » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 pm

<3 Sadie. Sad she got torched.
sushi x

Postby davideotape » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:03 pm

going in for a second watch tonight, gonna specifically try to hate it
i agree with every take, good/bad/hot

davideotape

Postby blackbetty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Anyone else waiting for Helter skelter the whole damn movie

blackbetty

Postby kirito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:07 pm

sushi x wrote:<3 Sadie. Sad she got torched.

go away

kirito

Postby Bananafish » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:57 pm

I didn’t really get the killing his wife bit. So the guy who saves Sharon Tate allegedly killed his wife?

If his wife is an allusion to Natalie Wood, and the only scene we see of his wife is her being “annoying”, is QT saying Natalie Wood deserved to die?

I don’t get it because I liked the movie but this one part just makes it all seem thematically incoherent. I don’t buy the “It was just a nod to Hollywood Babylon/whatever” argument.

How is it a victory? Brad Pitt’s wife wasn’t saved. Charles Manson went to prison but Robert Wagner never faced any consequences.

These are all half formed thoughts, just got out of seeing it. The whole theatre laughing at the women getting mauled at the end, deserved or not, didn’t help things.

Bananafish

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 pm

What a completely odd reading into Cliff's backstory.

Eyeball Kid

Postby kirito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:12 pm

killing your wife is fine as long as she was being loud and obnoxious while you were being chill as hell

kirito

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm

And yes, Tarantino HATED Natalie Wood and told Christopher Walken as much when the latter arrived on the set of Pulp Fiction.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Bananafish » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 pm

fair enough I could’ve worded my post better

I just thought that by including that cliff backstory scene it created this weird dynamic that seems thematically at odds with the rest of the movie where one woman is allowed to live while the other has to die

Bananafish

Postby The Producer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Bananafish wrote:I just thought that by including that cliff backstory scene it created this weird dynamic that seems thematically at odds with the rest of the movie where one woman is allowed to live while the other has to die

no it didnt, the movie wasnt about her in the way it was abt Tate (it's more about the Manson murderer women than his wife even) and the flashback is within a flashback and not Cliff's recollection but someone else's (Rick or Randy) imagining it based on the rumors/trial and sets up a moment of shock/doubt for Bruce Lee secondguessing his shittalk when someone mentions it to him and now it has more weight for us the audience than just as hearsay from Randy

It also contrasts with Cliff being up for the fight with Lee whereas (whether he killed her on purpose or the crescendoing wave sound made him shoot the harpoon gun ala Marvin in Pulp Fiction) she wasnt being "annoying" "loud" or "obnoxious" she was taunting him, calling him the boringest man and literally saying she wants to fight and he deflates from excitedly getting ready to go into the water to sitting still and unable to look at her directly - again, not saying that makes her deserve to die, but it's in contrast to how up he is to fight Lee and if he's telling the truth to Tex later then how he punched a cop, etc - it's complicating Cliff the way Rick has been complicated leaving Tate the only pure/innocent lead character

The Producer

Postby separator » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 pm

please add a poll on whether he killed his wife, because i'm a definite no

separator

Postby The Producer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:54 pm

he killed her, it's just whether it's an accident or not

also it's not a 1:1 w/ Wood who drowned and wasnt shot with a harpoon anyway, he's borrowing tones of mystique not facts, Hal Needham's booze didnt need a buddy either, acid's for HIPPIES!

The Producer

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:28 pm

It's obviously meant to recall Wood but she's not a proxy and, in fact, I question whether the incomplete "flashback" we are watching is actually intended to be an accurate account or just Cliff imagining how others believe the scene went down. If he is supposed to have killed her, it feels glaringly incongruous with how his ethics and morality are demonstrated throughout the rest of the film. I can see how this is a sticking point for so many people and how this might be the biggest flaw in QT's dual revisionist history of Hollywood and indictment of the culture. I believe that its supposed to evoke the internal policing of major crimes within The Hollywood system while simultaneously fleshing out Pitt's hard-luck character and it can't do both without either unintentionally exonerating Wagner (which I don't imagine is QT's intent) or inadvertently blessing the incident as just some inevitable byproduct of Hollywood culture (which I hope it isn't). It's provocative, for sure, but it's definitely an unattended development in an otherwise well-honed project.
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Like, the only way the boat scene works for me with the rest of the film is if Cliff is imagining a caricaturization of what others believe actually happened. That ties up the only major loose thread I felt within the story.
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby came to wreck » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:07 pm

4 hour director's cut coming to netflix....

came to wreck

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:16 pm

came to wreck wrote:4 hour director's cut coming to netflix....

that's rad

emotional fascism

Postby loaf angel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm

kirito wrote:killing your wife is fine as long as she was being loud and obnoxious while you were being chill as hell

it's never confirmed he killed his wife ftr
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby someguy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 pm

apologies

someguy
ok

Postby Rumours » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:24 am

absolutely guilty of not reading the thread before posting but...

anyone else find the ending as a sort of antithesis of Twin Peaks: The Return re: Laura's fate?
That somehow going back and course correcting an unspeakable trauma is just all hunky dory.

I guess that could be applicable to any of his revenge fantasies but just my immediate reaction the other night.

Rumours

Postby brian dennehy fan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:53 am

warming to scorched earth eyeball kid itt

brian dennehy fan

Postby OKterrific » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm

mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby came to wreck » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:35 pm

dam wish there was a thread of just miniature work now

came to wreck

Postby spix et chicho » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I was not totally convinced by this movie until the exact moment when the gates to the Polanski/Tate house swing open for Rick. something about that moment clinched it and tied the film's goals together in my mind in one instant, in a kind of last-minute Bressonian way
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....