whats the hooting/whistling/stomping bros ur-album

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

i think i need to finally admit that I fucking love Hoot
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
User avatar

ripersnifle
 
Posts: 20442
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: hellberta

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

This thread is like, "Welcome to Hoot Camp"
User avatar

nosebleeds
 
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:42 am

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I need to stop posting when I drink.
User avatar

nosebleeds
 
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:42 am

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

ripersnifle wrote:definitely may have danced with members of my extended family to a Parsonsfield jam at a daytime workshop folk fest session in the last 5-7 years


wow can you say more stuff about this
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
User avatar

bongo
man in hammock
 
Posts: 73461
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Malaise (Live Acoustic)

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

i have some good folk festival workshop stories actually

basically, the idea behind a folk fest workshop is to encourage spontaneous collaboration between festival performers, usually with a theme or prompt supposedly relevant to the performers' work to guide improvisation. often, Hoot style singersongwriters will just elect to take turns, because they often aren't rly musically proficient enough to collab or actually ~jam~. so bigger like brass bands and stuff that are usually booked typically fare better in the workshop environment.

one time i was at a folk festival that had inexplicably booked Arto Lindsay, and, being a big fan, i was basically following him around the festival. i remember this one workshop he had been assigned to with all these usual Hoot style songwriters and stuff, and then maybe like a celtic band and a brass band. the Hootbros did the typical turn-taking performing their material, with Lindsay looking increasingly bored before he said that they should "actually jam." what ensued was like probably one of the craziest things ive ever seen at a folk festival with Lindsay's band basically launching into a crazy no wave skronk and he, himself, taking on the role of conductor, conducting various performers in the workshop to improvise.

i will never forget the exasperated looks on the faces of the several Hoot singersongwriters when Lindsay would cycle to them to "improvise." it was so wild - i think i was maybe 1 of 20 people that remained watching at the sidestage over the course of the ensuing 20 min squall of atonal music.
Last edited by ripersnifle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
User avatar

ripersnifle
 
Posts: 20442
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: hellberta

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

there have to be videos of this stuff right
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
User avatar

bongo
man in hammock
 
Posts: 73461
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Malaise (Live Acoustic)

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

like i remember one dude yelling frustratedly at Lindsay before giving up and futilely attempting to chord along.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
User avatar

ripersnifle
 
Posts: 20442
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: hellberta

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm

also at the end i think Arto had joined the front of the crowd and was "conducting" people from the ground below
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
User avatar

ripersnifle
 
Posts: 20442
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: hellberta

Postby easy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

ripersnifle wrote:i have some good folk festival workshop stories actually

basically, the idea behind a folk fest workshop is to encourage spontaneous collaboration between festival performers, usually with a theme or prompt supposedly relevant to the performers' work to guide improvisation. often, Hoot style singersongwriters will just elect to take turns, because they often aren't rly musically proficient enough to collab or actually ~jam~. so bigger like brass bands and stuff that are usually booked typically fare better in the workshop environment.

one time i was at a folk festival that had inexplicably booked Arto Lindsay, and, being a big fan, i was basically following him around the festival. i remember this one workshop he had been assigned to with all these usual Hoot style songwriters and stuff, and then maybe like a celtic band and a brass band. the Hootbros did the typical turn-taking performing their material, with Lindsay looking increasingly bored before he said that they should "actually jam." what ensued was like probably one of the craziest things ive ever seen at a folk festival with Lindsay's band basically launching into a crazy no wave skronk and he, himself, taking on the role of conductor, conducting various performers in the workshop to improvise.

i will never forget the exasperated looks on the faces of the several Hoot singersongwriters when Lindsay would cycle to them to "improvise." it was so wild - i think i was maybe 1 of 20 people that remained watching at the sidestage over the course of the ensuing 20 min squall of atonal music.


User avatar

easy
does it
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby antoine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Fuck mandolins
User avatar

antoine
 
Posts: 61322
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Postby cartola » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Hoot is like scorched cultural earth
User avatar

cartola
 
Posts: 9573
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: wow

Postby cartola » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

And has taken over denver :/
User avatar

cartola
 
Posts: 9573
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: wow

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 pm

denver is a hoot mecca
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
User avatar

bongo
man in hammock
 
Posts: 73461
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Malaise (Live Acoustic)

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

it really seems to be between asheville, denver, and surprise dark horse, southern ontario
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 19327
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby jefe górgory » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm

the banjo guy from parsonsfield has such an interesting presence
BTW there is a raging pandemic.
User avatar

jefe górgory
 
Posts: 13095
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 am
Location: ¿qué demonios es el agua?

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm

SoOn baby
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux
 
Posts: 41078
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 am

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 pm

there was a bluegrass band from windsor i saw a decade ago called the wild turkeys. i wonder what theyre up to these days
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 19327
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Hopefully they got out of windsor
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux
 
Posts: 41078
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 am

Postby hbb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:47 pm

bongo wrote:


Asheville Eyeline
hbb
 
Posts: 25093
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: Hometown...........the West Coast

Postby brittle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:48 pm

gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture
User avatar

brittle
 
Posts: 21755
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby No Not Now » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

When all you wanna do is Hoot but the workshop wants a Q&A
Image
User avatar

No Not Now
 
Posts: 2485
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Curbside

Postby No Not Now » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Seriously considering quitting my job so that I can whisper into a banjo all the livelong day.
Image
User avatar

No Not Now
 
Posts: 2485
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Curbside

Postby jefe górgory » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm

brittle wrote:gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture

:lol:
BTW there is a raging pandemic.
User avatar

jefe górgory
 
Posts: 13095
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 am
Location: ¿qué demonios es el agua?

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm

tunnel sesh was a homegrown thing. its like 20 minutes from my house maybe i'll get the band to do a hoot sesh there
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 19327
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm

brittle wrote:gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture





the soundtrack to many scrump vids + lifestyle posts
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 19327
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

these tall tall trees gifs are killing me
User avatar

Autarch
 
Posts: 16699
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:13 am
Location: In these times of economy

Postby v h g » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 pm

seeing First Aid Kit tonight and their opener just asked us all to stomp our feet to the kick drum beat on their last song
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
User avatar

v h g
 
Posts: 4587
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 pm

ok tbh im looking in to going to this http://luckreunion.com
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 19327
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 pm

vhg that is the hootiest thing tbh. clapping/stomping on the 1 and the three
User avatar

kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 19327
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Postby brittle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 pm

kit fox wrote:
brittle wrote:gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture





the soundtrack to many scrump vids + lifestyle posts

the guitarist for my old art/prog/shred/emo band now plays lead guitar/mandolin/lap steel for the band featured in the promo for ralph lauren's new line

Hoot Couture
:gapearth:
User avatar

brittle
 
Posts: 21755
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aladdin pain, Althea, Amblin, black drum, bluelips, bort, budlite supernova, building jumper, Catullus, Darlene, DatLostMan, denvermax, emotional fascism, Feech La Manna, Future, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Google [Bot], Grumby, hbb, jbiz, jon, k_uger, Katastroika stole pashmina, M. Piedlourde, mcwop23, murderhorn, mynamerocks, No Good Advice, normal forest, Rainbow Battle Kid, rankoutsider, resum, rex, ripersnifle, sassafras socks, shizaam, sobieski , sushi x, That Demon Life, trampoline, truncated, two birds one gug, warmjets, wuk, Zardoz and 117 guests