Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby carlagain » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:25 am

pelle was niceToggle Spoiler
carlagain

Postby ASH NERVE » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 am

carlagain wrote:pelle was niceToggle Spoiler

i really wanted him and the main girl to get together at the end :/Toggle Spoiler
if you enjoyed this hot take, consider checking out my podcast

ASH NERVE

Postby shame dawg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:10 am

john plainman 2 wrote:I wish I had screenshots of the boyfriends ambient male aggression throughout the movie. he looks so pissed off whenever he's sitting at the dinner table, or on the edge of his bed, etc.it was great

Totally agree, actually thought his body language was by far the most affecting part of what was otherwise probably the weakest acting of the cast, at least in terms of delivery/dialogue?

Something about seeing a standard CW drama looking bro hunching his shoulders, grimacing and generally ugly resistance emotionally and physically to Dani throughout the film did it for me. It’s the type of fuckheads I know irl

shame dawg

Postby mellowgold » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:57 am

goofy's dead wife wrote:
mellowgold wrote:I’m glad I’m not the only person who saw queer themes in this and in hereditary.
http://dimthehouselights.com/2019/07/midsommar-is-queer-and-camp-actually/

i still haven't seen midsommar (will probably go sunday night) but yeah no absolutely i have no idea what my take on hereditary would be if i didn't but it's a big part of why it worked for me.

landspeedrecord wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I found the inability of the family to connect with one another in hereditary (and the subsequent ruptures) to be very affecting

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Slamwich Artist » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:34 am

Thought the subtitles were a questionable choice—didn’t really add anything significant you couldn’t get from context, lessened the alienness of the setting (although maybe that was the point?). Also this is pedantic but what was with the spelling ”affekts” in the subtitles toward the end? Just a fuck-up? Latin root so not really a plausible ancient pagan technical term or anything
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby alaska » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:17 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:the success of midsommar hinges on its emotional connection w the audience. I was a bit removed tbh

yeah and like ftr while my enthusiasm for this movie is deep and abiding i had also literally (for unanticipated time-constraint reasons) just hotboxed a car in the mall parking garage like a fucking adolescent so i was Down As All Hell
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool

alaska

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:24 pm

I very much wish I had hotboxed a car in a mall parking lot beforehand

now I want to hotbox a car

next time I’m in providence, let’s hotbox a car, alaska

it doesn’t have to be in a mall parking lot, but that does sound ideal tbh
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby alaska » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:25 pm

hell yeah

come through and we can park somewhere and smoke some primo fall river, ma dispensary kush
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool

alaska

Postby walt whitman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:01 pm

carlagain wrote:it’s difficult but you’re all right basically. making a movie is a weird posture. it’s nuanced direction and performance but that’s also all good movies. and all good movies are queer movies. it’s true the image has no autonomy. the boyfriend is half assed like a shittt boyfriend. there’s a foot in the flower bed. the may queen

sick post, archive, delete thread

walt whitman

Postby tonybricker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:02 pm

ASH NERVE wrote:
carlagain wrote:pelle was niceToggle Spoiler

i really wanted him and the main girl to get together at the end :/Toggle Spoiler

isn't it heavily implied that this is going to happen?

Or is my read on that completely off

tonybricker

Postby walt whitman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm

i tend to agree with folx who've said the film swerves away from hetero coupling (see the queer reading/comparison of Hårga to Oz, a few pages back)

walt whitman

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 pm

pelle was a traitor who invited his friends so they would be murderedToggle Spoiler i cannot stress this enough

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Celiac » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:pelle was a traitor who invited his friends so they would be murderedToggle Spoiler i cannot stress this enough

Kind of missed this my first time around :oops:
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby scrambled » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:the success of midsommar hinges on its emotional connection w the audience. I was a bit removed tbh

yah same. also felt even more removed by how the audience was HOWLING SCREAMING at some of the 'jokes', it was unreal - i found the humor very lame so that really took me out of it
Last edited by scrambled on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrambled

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Pelle was
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby Slamwich Artist » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 pm

scrambled wrote:

yah same. also felt even more removed by how the audience was HOWLING SCREAMING at some of the 'jokes', it was unreal - i found the humor very lame so that really took me out of it

I laughed when dani said "i SO do not need to be here right now!!" or whatever after the old person death ritualToggle Spoiler but i'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby scrambled » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:37 pm

like the big sex scene at the end people were like cracking up which felt kinda :? cuz it just seems very base, either laughing at like naked women of nonnormative body shapes, or just laughing at like Christian making very hammy 'oh this is weird!!!' faces just like took away any ewight from me or enjoyment. but maybe i'm a grouch.Toggle Spoiler

scrambled

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 pm

i laughed when the lady pushed his ass because it was like "just do it already" and if that makes me a bad person then you know what? push my ass. push my ass over the cliff of decency.
sarcastic mr. know-it-all

soft milk

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:40 pm

i think sometimes that even in the most insane, uncomfortable parts of a movie made in a genre made to be insane and uncomfortable that it is hammed up so much on purpose so there is a cushion, an escape of emotion...where laughing is a good release, a natural reaction to something...beyond our zone of comfort. i can forgive this in people, to laugh at something i take so dead seriously because...that person is not me, does not think or react the way i do to this moment. god forgive us.

soft milk

Postby scrambled » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 pm

god may forgive u but i never will

did u find the pissing on the tree thing funny - my audience did

scrambled

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 pm

movies are entertainment, and they are sometimes made up of uncomfortable things, with moments of levity. it's quite a task to make a movie that makes perfect sense to everyone, i don't think its ever be done. if you don't like the way a public audience reacts to something then do what i do, build a fort of cushions on your couch, smoke way too much weed and have an anxiety attack while watching gilmore girls.

soft milk

Postby scrambled » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:43 pm

lol ok

scrambled

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 pm

scrambled wrote:god may forgive u but i never will

did u find the pissing on the tree thing funny - my audience did

i think i found the mark character to be a blatantly dumb parody of the garish american and i think that's funny. having him piss on a tree coated in the ashes of the dead? i don't know if that made me laugh or if it was just his little rascal "What'd i do !!" reaction. it could be either. i've peed in all the wrong places.

soft milk

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 pm

scrambled wrote:lol ok

i'm not knocking you by the way. i agree with you about audiences in general. i think there was a lot in this movie that is funny to the majority of people that walked into this after a day spent looking for a new couch and to others, there was too much else going on for that humour to cauterize the wound.

soft milk

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 pm

scramble, please forgive me. i want to be friends.

soft milk

Postby scrambled » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:49 pm

well first off: i'm scramleDDDD not scramble, totally different user!

no i know, i don't mean to sound like such a grouch, i just have not felt so disconnected from a movie and its praise in a long time

scrambled

Postby soft milk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51 pm

shit i fucked that up. you're not a grouch, you just like what you like and don't like what you don't like and navigating why other people do when you don't is something weird we've all been through. it's wild. i hate it, i love it, the movies...the fucking movies. just wait till that new tarantino movie comes out and i'm taking big dumps on it while everyone in the thread is praising it and act like i didn't post what i posted in here cause i'm a complete fucking hypocrite.

soft milk

Postby Getbetter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 am

Just got back from seeing Midsommar. I did make sure to hot box my car. The first act was way too long ,everyone's character kind of sucks , kinda got a headache from charactersarguing over a thesis paperToggle Spoiler,.

That smile was cool but that ending sequence kinda felt as if it's was trying really hard/forced faux art house horror bullshit.

Getbetter

Postby carlagain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:pelle was a traitor who invited his friends so they would be murderedToggle Spoiler i cannot stress this enough

what’s traitorous about it
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:39 am

I think I’d be annoyed by people laughing at pissing on the log, because it’s not funny, but pushing his butt is funny haha
carlagain

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....