Hereditary, Midsommar (7/3)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby a is jump » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 pm

IIRC, the film doesn't say that her sister does what she does because she's got bipolar disorder. Dani mentions that to Christian as a humanizing fact about her sister when Christian is being dismissive about her problems, casting them as sheer manipulation.

Ruben was a kid in a mask, not someone with a disability.
User avatar

a is jump
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Postby tricksforchips » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 pm

I'm pretty sure they call him "the disabled boy."
User avatar

tricksforchips
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:17 pm

He was the product of incest, I thought.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
User avatar

Buddy Glass
 
Posts: 14651
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Le vide politique

Postby Celiac » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Yeah that’s right
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)
User avatar

Celiac
 
Posts: 8813
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 am
Location: departure!-second version-

Postby easy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:50 pm

it really felt like at least 30% of the dialogue in this was ADR
User avatar

easy
does it
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby Mesh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Basic plot question: Did the lottery balls select just that one guy who screamed while being burned alive?Toggle Spoiler
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby Meeps » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm

I think the lottery selected a random Hargas citizen, and then Dani had to choose either that citizen or Christian to become the final sacrifice.

Actually I'm kind of confused why the guy who screamed was sacrificed. It was said he brought offerings, so he was to be sacrificed as well, but I'm pretty sure Simon and Connie were brought by Ingemar. Maybe it was because he killed Mark and Josh? He was the one wearing Mark's face earlier.
Toggle Spoiler
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.
User avatar

Meeps
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:05 am
Location: California

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm

This was fantastic. The cinematography/framing reminded me a lot of Jodorowsky, weirdly enough, and I agree with everyone who said that the film favored atmospheric dread over anything really scary.
#weirdnight
User avatar

FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: 1212 Boogie Woogie Ave.

Postby WAC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 am

Meeps wrote:Actually I'm kind of confused why the guy who screamed was sacrificed. It was said he brought offerings, so he was to be sacrificed as well, but I'm pretty sure Simon and Connie were brought by Ingemar. Maybe it was because he killed Mark and Josh? He was the one wearing Mark's face earlier.[/spoiler]


He was?
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
User avatar

WAC
 
Posts: 44791
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Postby tonybricker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:00 am

Meeps wrote:I think the lottery selected a random Hargas citizen, and then Dani had to choose either that citizen or Christian to become the final sacrifice.

Actually I'm kind of confused why the guy who screamed was sacrificed. It was said he brought offerings, so he was to be sacrificed as well, but I'm pretty sure Simon and Connie were brought by Ingemar. Maybe it was because he killed Mark and Josh? He was the one wearing Mark's face earlier.
Toggle Spoiler


The screaming guy volunteered, and then seemed to regret it

I thought the malformed painter oracle guy was the guy who was wearing Mark’s face
Toggle Spoiler
User avatar

tonybricker
 
Posts: 4423
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Postby Locke » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:10 am

there's no way that face was fitting on the Oracle. in the same vein, was the Oracle in the same room during the sex scene? i don't think they were
User avatar

Locke
 
Posts: 12931
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:03 am

Postby aububs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:06 am

RIXX wrote:I loved the upside down camera shot of the car driving thru the forest. felt like an inversion of the shining aerial. so ominous.


this upside down car driving shot was done in another movie recently and it's been annoying me ever since that I can't remember what it is. I think it was another horror movie. may not have been super recent
astonishing vigils
User avatar

aububs
 
Posts: 8618
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby aububs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:16 am

wait I think it might have been The Hole in the Ground
astonishing vigils
User avatar

aububs
 
Posts: 8618
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby manvstrees » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:00 am

so after talking out of my ass as is my wont, i do want to say that i cannot believe fuckin nighthawk didn't show this video in the content before the show

((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
User avatar

manvstrees
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm
Location: brooklyn

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 am

easy wrote:it really felt like at least 30% of the dialogue in this was ADR

Most films are.
User avatar

tricksforchips
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:48 am

aububs wrote:
RIXX wrote:I loved the upside down camera shot of the car driving thru the forest. felt like an inversion of the shining aerial. so ominous.


this upside down car driving shot was done in another movie recently and it's been annoying me ever since that I can't remember what it is. I think it was another horror movie. may not have been super recent

Aronofsky does this shot a lot. Used it a lot in The Fountain.
User avatar

tricksforchips
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 am

tricksforchips wrote:
aububs wrote:
RIXX wrote:I loved the upside down camera shot of the car driving thru the forest. felt like an inversion of the shining aerial. so ominous.


this upside down car driving shot was done in another movie recently and it's been annoying me ever since that I can't remember what it is. I think it was another horror movie. may not have been super recent

Aronofsky does this shot a lot. Used it a lot in The Fountain.


I always think of the 90°-shifted streets from Bringing Out the Dead.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am

shankly wrote:I never thought much of Haxan Cloak before, but I really loved the score for this


The "Attestupan" track especially reenacts that scene in my head.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am

oh what am i thinking of where the car is coming toward the camera upside-down but then it flips so it's rightside up as you watch the car drive away
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
User avatar

Rainbow Battle Kid
 
Posts: 15466
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:oh what am i thinking of where the car is coming toward the camera upside-down but then it flips so it's rightside up as you watch the car drive away


yeah sorry this is on the tip of my brain too
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Wasn’t the upside down car in US?
#weirdnight
User avatar

FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: 1212 Boogie Woogie Ave.

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:38 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:Wasn’t the upside down car in US?

i didn't see Us so it's def not that for me at least

that camera flip thing is killing me
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
User avatar

Rainbow Battle Kid
 
Posts: 15466
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:oh what am i thinking of where the car is coming toward the camera upside-down but then it flips so it's rightside up as you watch the car drive away

It's just a cool tilt -- don't think it has a name.

here it is in the fountain:

https://youtu.be/dAuxryJ6pv8?t=114
User avatar

tricksforchips
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:58 pm

ah shit i think that must be it

( i love that movie :oops: )
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
User avatar

Rainbow Battle Kid
 
Posts: 15466
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Postby Tar Pit » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm

I didn’t finish reading but the boyfriend getting dusted and not reacting/not being able to react was very appropriate, almost on the nose reference of his indifference/lack of support of his girlfriend.Toggle SpoilerReally loved this but I gotta reflect some more. Also Chidi!Toggle Spoiler
User avatar

Tar Pit
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:24 am

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:44 am

This probably has a real obvious answer that i’m just missing but who is the naked dude that enters the sacred text room at night when josh is taking pictures of it? I assumed it was Mark the first time, but Mark’s face has already been skinned off and worn by the oracle (?) at this point, and there’s no way he doesn’t bleed out and die immediately from that, he’s not stumbling around naked without a face (maybe he is idk)Toggle Spoiler
User avatar

OLD SAINT RIXX
 
Posts: 10025
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:18 am

i think it was the oracle, or one of the other culties, wearing marks faceToggle Spoiler
astonishing vigils
User avatar

aububs
 
Posts: 8618
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby carlagain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 am

god her smile at the end made the whole thing, I love when a movie has a shot that kinda supersedes everything whether at the end or whenever. I had a good time watching this, it seemed clear to me that she was going to have a good time of it and I just was just gleefully waiting for whatever happens to boyfriend. the ending felt similar to Hereditary in a negative way. super into the brightness and the violence. and the tripping. and flowersToggle Spoiler
carlagain
 
Posts: 2330
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:53 am

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 am

aububs wrote:i think it was the oracle, or one of the other culties, wearing marks faceToggle Spoiler

OHHHH wtf why did i think there were three people in the room ahaha i’m so dumbToggle Spoiler
User avatar

OLD SAINT RIXX
 
Posts: 10025
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 am

@carl

yeah smile was good. often when I'm watching a movie and it's near the end i'll say in my head "ok end NOW" at the precise moment it should end. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. midsommar ended at the exact moment it should haveToggle Spoiler
astonishing vigils
User avatar

aububs
 
Posts: 8618
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A WOMAN IN TROUBLE, abominog, ahungbunny, alaska, Alice, apostrophe, ashtrayheart, Autarch, Bad Craziness, Bartatua, Big Oil, Brunch Buttsteak, bubblun, building jumper, buriedinspace, Clive, concerning, cooly, deebster, doublethink0, draw, droctagon2000, edgeev, endless dave, Eyeball Kid, Frank, fury, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, griffith scannell, guidance, guy forget, hadlex, high bias, hoopdog, hyperbole man, Ides of Smarch, jewels, KPH, Lake, landspeedrecord, loaf angel, lodger, Longarm, lordofdiapers, lotso, manvstrees, mcwop23, Meeps, Milk, Milquetoaster Strudels, Mr Spaceship, neck, neely o'hara, oh! it's max!, Oranges, Paul, pez viking, Phil, Poptone, R C, Reliable Tradesman, rich uncle skeleton, ripersnifle, ruse, s/ns, shrinemaidens, sideshow raheem, Slaps, tgk, THB, timbrrr, tricksforchips, turquoise albino, virtuous, warmjets, wijk, winjer, wuk, zach york, Zardoz